Selfless

Adopt-A-Fic: The Rolling Buffalo Orphanage

Genre(s)/Tag(s): Hunhan, romance, angst

Alternative Title(s): Love is mute

Preview:

 

“Hello,” a boy with a faint accent asked. “Is this seat taken?”

Sehun stared back with brooding eyes and grunted in response, watching the scenery race by in brilliant streaks of colour. He didn’t appreciate his free time on the bus being interrupted by this stranger who had a weird, foreign accent. The boy smiled cheerfully and took a seat next to him, a letter excitedly in his left hand. Sehun almost jolted out of his seat when he took a wayward glance at the letter that was fluttering from the wind. He could’ve recognised that pink emblem anywhere. SM entertainment.

“You’re a trainee?” Sehun gasped. “How come I’ve never seen you around?”

“I’m new, I’m from China,” the boy replied with a dazzling smile. It was the first time the younger boy had seen anyone so beautiful. His bronze locks were tousled over a smooth, white forehead. His eyes were large, doe-like and a hypnotizing shade of caramel-gold. The boy’s smooth voice broke through Sehun’s little reverie. “My name’s Luhan.”

Sehun found the corners of his mouth twitching up on their own accord. “Sehun. My name is Sehun.”

It was the first time Sehun had told his name to anyone his own age.

 

 

 

 

 “I told you,” Sehun screamed at Luhan in frustration. “I told you they would alienate you once you started hanging out with me.”

“Sehunnie-“

“Don’t ever call me that again!” the younger boy snarled, whipping around to stare Luhan dead-straight in the eyes. The older boy was shocked to see tears streaming down his friend’s face. Sehun may have been cold, indifferent and stubborn but he definitely was not the type that cried. Not even when other jealous trainees shoved his head into a toilet and spat insults like bullets to his face. Sehun took a shaky breath and edged away, putting his palms out defensively in front of him. “Stay away from me! I’m a ing freak! I’m the laugh of the whole company! I’m-“

His anguished words were cut off by Luhan pressing his lips softly against his own. Sehun felt his insides melt away as more tears made their way down his flushed cheeks. The kiss was everything Sehun coveted, warm, sweet, angelic and heavenly. He indulged in the older boy’s scent; a sweet mixture of bubble tea and dove soap. Luhan pulled away, cupping the younger boy’s face in his hands as he Sehun’s cheek gently with his thumb.

“You’re beautiful,” he whispered tenderly, his eyes burning with intense emotion that Sehun found difficult to recognise.

“But,” Sehun whispered brokenly into Luhan’s warm hands. “Are you sure you want to be with the worst of the worst? I’m scum.”

“Don’t ever say that again!” Luhan scolded, looking appalled as tears pricked his own eyes as he pulled the younger boy into his arms, his back soothingly. “Love is selfless.

Love. A word that Sehun hadn’t felt once since he was born. It was only a matter of seconds before he had pressed his lips feverishly against Luhan’s forehead, allowing himself to melt himself into his arms. He pulled back, a little breathless but beaming brightly. “I love you.”

 

 

 

 

The phone rang off the hook and Sehun could only stare forlornly at the device, tears dripping silently from his chin and dropping to the floor. With shaking hands, he picked up the phone and held it to his ear, breathing heavily into the mouth-piece. What he heard next shredded his heart into tiny pieces.

“Sehun-ah, I’m sorry for whatever I’ve done,” Luhan sobbed brokenly on the other end. “Baby, we can work something out together, please just talk to me.”

Sehun’s chest rose and fell sporadically as he cried mutely, his fists clenched so hard that his knuckles were turning white.  He slammed the phone back onto the stand, leaning his back against the sofa as he sank to the floor in despair. No matter how much he wanted to bundle his precious Lulu into his arms and assure him that everything was okay while his bronze locks, he simply couldn’t. He was a mute- a burden, silenced forever.

 

 

 

 

The ward was a blank white, so uniform it disgusted Sehun as he slumped in his chair. In his fingers, he toyed with a single ring. The band was smooth and thin, words promising eternal love engraved into the white gold. Hunhan = eternity. Sehun cracked a bitter smile. Luhan had been so ecstatic the day they had visited the jewellers, insisting that they use the silly little couple name their fans had named them. Luhan had smiled brightly and said that the ring would not only remind him of his boyfriend but the brighter stars, their fans.

“Even if I’m not there to support you, Hunhan will forever be lodged in their hearts,” Luhan had noted philosophically as Sehun grunted in reluctant agreement.

“Because we’re eternity,” Sehun had murmured as Luhan dropped a head on his shoulder, blinking up at his lover with his large, chocolate-brown eyes. Sehun leant down and feathered a gentle kiss on Luhan’s soft cheek.

A smooth, female voice interrupted his little trip down the memory lane as he turned to see one of his favourite nurses enter the ward. She was carrying a tray of food and he noticed a cup of bubble tea sitting in the centre looking very out of place amidst all the bland-looking food. Bubble tea was Hunhan food, it was their guilty pleasure and it forced a lump to build in his throat.

“Soon kyu,” he signed with his hands frantically. “What’s the bubble tea doing here?”

“I sneaked it in,” she replied brightly. “You know, you have a habit of sleep-talking and you were constantly mumbling ‘bubble-tea’ in your sleep, so I got you some.” She handed him his tray and poked the thick straw through the flimsy plastic of the lid. She noticed Sehun’s fingers had frozen over the edge of his table. She took his hand and clasped his fingers gently around the cup. “Go ahead, it’s good!”

His fingers stayed frozen as a single tear trickle down his cheek. Sunny smiled softly as she left his room, leaving Sehun alone to reminisce. She froze at the door as she heard him utter a single name.

“Luhan…”

Sunny dropped a  glass that she was filling and it shattered into thousands of pieces that glittered under the morning sun.  The doctors had told her specifically that he would never have a chance to speak again. When she had turned back, she saw Sehun indulging in his favourite drink, his eyelids closed as he smiled peacefully. The wind that had floated into the room, tousled his bronze bangs over his forehead and the nurse was rendered speechless by the beauty of his little moment. 

 

Extra Notes:

Sehun becomes mute and unable to sing so not wanting to drown Luhan's dreams leaves him. He can never say "I love you" again because he's mute. Feel free to continue :) And and love conquers all, since he said a name.