What's My Name?

As You Wish

What's My Name?

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

All I hear in the store is the clock and my breathing. I work the night shift on weekends in the local convenient store, which because only drunks, pedos and stupid teenagers come here at this time. The drunks usually get more alchohol, pedos get magazines (I don't know why the store even sells these) and the teenagers get their snacks and try to buy cigarettes from me. 

The rusty bell rings, signalling a customer coming in. "Welcome." I say, keeping my eyes on my phone. They reply back with silent footsteps. Usually people already know what they want and walk out within 10 mins, but this customer's been here for 20 minutes. I check to see if they're okay, but all I could catch a glimpse of was the top of their head. Dark brown hair in aisle 4. 

Five boxes of pads and tampons slide against the cashier counter, interrupting my game. They were heavy flow, regular, overnight etc. I gaze up from my phone and see Taemin biting his lip uncomfortably and avoiding eye contact. My boss told me not to judge what customers bought, but I never followed that rule.

I ring up each box and squeeze them together inside two plastic bags. "That'll be $10.37. " He hands me his card. "Do you want a receipt?" I add.

"No, it's fine." Taemin rubs the back of his head. He finally looks me in the eye. 

"It's not what you think, I didn't know which one to get and my sister needed these becau-" He scrambles for an explanation. I simply put my hand up to quiet him. "No need to go into details, I'm a girl too." Taemin exhales a heavy breath and laughs. "That's right." He grins and takes the bags. 

"Ya, Taemin! Hurry up, you're taking too long and I already got the carp bread!" A voice calls out from the entrance. I turn left and see Kai warming his hands together with brown bags sticking out of his coat pocket.

"Yeah, I'm coming! See you!" Taemin shouts to Kai and waves a goodbye at me, with that priceless smile again. 

"Oh.." I whisper under my breath. I disliked the Lee Brothers a lot, but I never knew one of them had some ounce of friendliness. They were always alone, because everyone thought they were too 'exclusive.'


"Noona, here. I got what you needed." Taemin knocks on the white door of his older sister's room, dangling the plastic bag with his index finger.

"Oh, thanks!" His sister sticks an arm out from the small opening of the door and wringles her fingers, trying to find the bag.

"Here. I hope you don't make me do this again, it was embarassing!" Taemin grumbles. "Ya! Why did you buy so much?! This can last me like a year!" Taemin's sister Haneul yells at him, with the sound of boxes dropping following close behind. 

Taemin and Kai share a bedroom, but not the type of bedroom you think it is. Once you open the door, there's two pathways. One leads to Kai's room, and the other leads to Taemin's. Their rooms are quite big, having their father's wealth in mind.

"Ya, come here. What was that girl's name?" Kai hollers Taemin over to his side of the room.

"You mean the girl at the store? Hm..I don't know actually." Taemin recalls the fact that he doesn't know anything about Jieun, except for her face as he sits down. 

"Ah, I hate mysterious girls! They usually come to me, but this one doesn't seem like she wants anything to do with us." Kai throws a small hissy fit and scratches his head.

"Ha, I know right? So many girls have been trying to talk to us, but she just..ignores us. She's different." Taemin fancies the fact that Jieun is different and rubs his chin. He rests his curiosity on his elbow and shows a small smile, showing his interest.


"Mom, I need a new job. The one at the convinient store is boring and it doesn't pay well either. It's just wasting my time!" I whine while setting the table with rice, the vital food for all Asians.

"You have too many jobs, Jieun. I know times are rough but give yourself a break. You run the ddokbukki stand with me, deliver milk and newspaper in the morning, work at the convinient store and ramen shop, tutor- Look, i'm already running out of fingers!" My mom had four fingers left, but flaunted her hand in front of my face anyways. 

I admit I have a  lot of jobs, but that many was perfect to help my family. Working at the ddokbukki stand saves money on hiring employees and the ramen shop payed ok. 

"I have to leave, love you mom!" I mumble loudly with rice stuffed in my mouth and grab my bag for school.

Kicking a family of rocks on my way to school, I see everyone whispering super loudly (not even whispering, more like screaming) and grouping in multiple bunches. 

"It's Kai! AHHHH ~~ He's so y!" "Don't forget Taemin, he's super duper cute!!" All the girl's high pitched voices blanket the school, and it'll probably prevent me from being able to hear the bell.

A white limosine accented with black tinted windows strolls towards the school, slowing down from the blob of Lee Brothers lovers. 

Getting squished by them is detestable, they'll step on your feet and elbow you if it means getting a whiff of one of the brother's scent.

"Ya, get in." The tinted window rolls down, revealing a Lee Brother. It's Kai, and he doesn't even bother to look at me when he rudely calls me out. 

"Excuse you? 'Ya'?" I reply to his profile view. The girls finally gave me some space, and I swear it felt like an early Christmas present. I was able to breathe. 

"Just get in!" Kai bulges his eyeballs at me as the girls whisper amongst themselves, saying unimaginable things like 'Oh my god, are they dating?' and 'What's so special about her?'

"Get in! We'll give you a ride to school!" Taemin waves me over in a friendly way, unlike his brother.

School was like a three minute walk away, why are they still in the car?

"No thanks, the school is right there." I put down their offer, to hear the blob gasp like they're fishes in air.

"Ya!" Kai yells at me, as if im sane. "Okay, hold on!" Taemin happily responds and opens the car door to let himself out. He walks over to me to signal Kai to come out.

He acts as if the three minute walk to school is like climbing Mt. Everest and angrily slings his bag on one shoulder and stuffs his hands in his pockets.

The first bell rings and everyone disperses, saddended by the fact that they had to leave the brothers. I start to walk faster to avoid being late, but was stopped by a "Where are you going?" from Kai.

"To class obviously, you think i'm going to the pool?" I shoot sarcasm at him, which he didn't like very much. Taemin exhales a small laugh, though.

"How come you don't have a name tag?" Kai points to the empty spot on my jacket, which is reserved for the name tag.

"Lost the back pin while washing it, but I have an extra name tag in my locker. Why?" I question him, wondering why he asked about such a small detail.

My first class is in the back of the school, and no one has a class there. Rarely, if any. I pass through the lonely side of school where the grass grows tall and where the leaves rest.

"You guys can stop following me now." I turn around to see them following me quietly.

"I have one thing to ask." Kai, like the annoying person he is, wants to ask a question. "What's your name?" 

"My name?" I keep walking, letting them talk to the back of my head. I get closer and closer to the vine hugged side of the school building. "Hmm..."

As I keep them waiting for my answer, the more I feel them walk faster towards me. 

"Just tell me your name!" Kai lashes his words out, unable to bottle up his curiousity anymore as soon as I turn around to answer his question. 

His yell catches me off guard, making me trip over a vine on the ground. I swing backwards and unable to keep my balance I lift a leg, only relying on one to keep me standing.

Taemin grabs my wrist to keep me up while Kai clutches my waist. Their fingers lay softly on me as my eyes widen the size of apples. Boom. Boom. My heart goes out of control, racing. 

Taemin was behind Kai, who was keeping me close to him. Taemin still seizing my wrist, Kai still grasping my waist.

"My..n-name?" I mutter weakly.