A Sideline Best Friend

Friend

 

"BANG JIAE!!"

Yep, just another normal morning, wherein my crazy best friend wakes me up at the crack of dawn.

 

My eyes opened, traveling quickly to the lighted figure on my bedside table. Daehyun probably sent another wake up call, to remind me that today's the 'Special Day' he has been going on and on about.

 

"Jiae, you better be awake before I break down your bedroom door and drag you to school in your pajamas. Meet you at our park, see you soon!" the wake up call ended as I groaned, blindly sitting up, stretching and yawning.

 

I stumbled out of the bed and did my morning routine: bathe, change into uniform and eat breakfast. 

 

I practically inhaled the last of the leftover chocolate pancakes and rushed into the living room. I grabbed my backpack and then dashed out the door, hoping I won't sweat before I reach Daehyun.

 

Bad luck for me, I guess.

 

Within twenty minutes of running, beads of sweat trickled down my chin as my breathe grew short. Fortunately, a few meters farther was the park where I met Daehyun for the first time.

 

You know, my psychotic best friend.

 

And he’s one heck of a friend. He's probably the cutest goofball in the universe. He can make me smile just by singing out of tune, which he does most of the time. 

 

A smile appeared on my lips as Daehyun came into view. He was wearing his complete uniform, his backpack was slung on his right shoulder and he was waving cheerfully at me, smiling so much that his eyes disappeared. 

 

"What took you so long? You know, I should probably think of a new threat to wake you up earlier. Here’s some tissues, for your sweating problem," Daehyun commented lightly as I went over to him, stopping on his right side. He handed me a bunch of tissues from his backpack as I took them gratefully, dabbing my forehead.

 

"I had to finish my Math and Engrish assignment, and I don’t have a sweating problem" I retorted, waving a casual hand while glaring at him. Daehyun started walking as I fell into step beside him.

 

"For your information, it's English, and you do have a sweating problem"

 

"I knew that, and for the last time, I don’t have a sweating problem!" Daehyun glanced at me skeptically as I punched his shoulder playfully. Daehyun rubbed his arm and grinned.

 

"I see that you're turning into a morning person, Nemo," Daehyun stated, ruffling up my hair. My hands flew immediately to my head, flattening it. I glared at him as he kept on grinning.

 

Yeah, that would've looked creepy into a stranger's point of view, but it's perfectly normal to us.

 

"One, I'm not a clownfish, and two, I'll never be a morning person. The day I'll admit you're right is the day you'll get a girlfriend." I snorted, rolling at the 'high' chances of Daehyun getting a girlfriend.

 

"You never know, Nemo. Today might be the day. You never know you have already fallen for me." Daehyun wiggled his eyebrows as I laughed loudly and shoved him.

 

I know that day will not come soon.

 

How very wrong I was.

~.~

 

"Good morning Diae!"

 

"There's a quiz later on about the structure of the cell, JiaeHyun!"

 

I greeted and smiled at everyone as Daehyun did the same. The reason why they're greeting me is simple.

 

Their fascinated by the fact that Daehyun and I are just friends. That we can't be more. We're some kind of proof that boys can be friends with girls. I encourage them to socialize more with the opposite gender, but what they're saying is part true.

 

To me, Daehyun's not my best friend.

 

He's my first love.

 

And it kind of .

 

"Jiae, do you remember our conversation awhile go? About me getting a girlfriend?" Daehyun asked nervously, his fingers fidgeting. 

 

Was he serious?! He's going to ask me to be his girlfriend?

 

"Y-Yeah, why?" I asked carefully, swallowing the lump that has formed on my throat. 

 

Finally, after eight long years, he has finally realized that I'm in love with him.

 

"Will you-"

 

"Ye-"

 

"Help me get Kim Hyerin to be my girlfriend?" Daehyun finished slowly, speculating why my face was full of happiness.

 

I was about to drop my smile, but then I remembered who was I talking to.

 

"Sure, I'll help you. I actually spotted her with her group of friends over there." I grinned halfheartedly and pointed at a group of chattering girls.

 

Daehyun's whole face lit up like a Christmas tree. 

 

"Really? Can you come with me? I'll ask her now," Daehyun pleaded, his sweet smile placed on his lips. I nodded slightly and took his hand, leading him to his future girlfriend.

 

I knew what I was doing.

 

If I lead him over there...our friendship might end. 

 

But, if it's an opportunity to make him happy, I'll do it. 

 

Even if it hurts like hell.

 

"Hy-Hyerin-ssi? Daehyun-ssi would like to ask you something," I said quietly, shoving Daehyun in front of the shy looking Hyerin. Her friends stopped chattering and stared at Daehyun, wide-eyed.

 

"Hyerin...ever since I was ten years old, I have loved you ever since."

 

Ouch, an arrow pierced my heart.

 

"Ever since I saw you on that swing, I knew you were the one to feel the emptiness in my heart."

 

I vaguely remembered a blonde boy walking towards the ten year old me. He quickly looked at the girl on the swing beside me, but talked to me first.

 

Two more arrows found it's way in my heart.

 

"This may seem out of the blue, but will you be my girlfriend?" Daehyun's doe-like eyes took in the surprised expression of the petite girl. Hyerin smiled angelically and nodded happily.

 

All around us, her friends clapped and cheered her on. Daehyun took her hand and intertwined his fingers with hers. He walked away with her, along with his legion of "DaeRin" shippers.

 

He left me alone, without much of a goodbye. 

 

He walked away with Hyerin without waiting for my ‘Congratulations Dae!’ even if it was fake.

 


Eight years of hoping and liking the guy that chose another.

 

Doesn't that ?

 

How would you feel if the guy you have liked for an eternity finally decided to get a girlfriend, except he wasn’t going to ask you?

 

How would you feel if you just had to seat on the sidelines and watch every moment he did with her that could’ve been done with you?

 

I have kept my mouth and feelings shut for eight long years, and this is what I get?

 

It , doesn’t it?

 

He called me Nemo because I was always lost, poor with directions.


As I watched the back of the boy disappear round the corner, I remembered what he said, the first time we met.

 

"You're my Nemo. Don't be afraid when you're lost, because oppa will always be here to guide you. If you're lost, count on oppa to find you."

 

Well, Daehyun, can you find the pieces of my broken heart?

 

Daehyun has always looked at me as a friend, as a trustworthy person, as his confidant.

 

Never, has he ever looked at me as someone he could spend his entire life with.

 

And it badly.