Prologue: Treasures

Dancing Shoes

Everyone has something they treasure. It can be anything from a necklace to a pencil. It doesn’t matter what the item is. The only thing that matters is the meaning behind it. The memories, the lessons, the love, everything that makes that object special.

Take a pencil for example. Alone, it doesn’t sound so special does it? It could be short, old, and worn-down from too much use. It can be brand new and not even sharpened yet. There could be designs of soccer balls, flowers, or stars all over it. It’s cheap and easily replaced.

Now, put a story behind it. This pencil belonged to someone important, someone you cherish. They say to you, “This is my favorite pencil. I used it for every test I took and I always managed to pass. It’s a lucky pencil and it means a lot to me.” You’ll probably laugh it off and think they’re just playing with you. Who exactly finds a pencil so valuable especially when it had Pororo pictures on it? You’ll wonder if they’ve gone insane. Or maybe there’s some secret about the pencil that makes it so special.

So then you’ll say, “A pencil? What’s so great about that pencil?” They’ll chuckle and you’ll notice a certain spark in their eyes that just tells you there’s a story that you don’t know. There will be an air of mystery and the curiosity will set in and creep through your bones. And you’ll want to know. “What? Is there something I don’t know?” you’ll ask.

Then, that person will look you in the eyes, smile, and say, “This pencil saved my life.”

Now, you’re almost one hundred percent certain that your friend needs to be taken to a hospital or an asylum. “It saved your life? How?” And the questions flow out of your mouth.

“Do you remember when my father passed away?” They’d ask you. You would nod because how could you forget how depressed your friend was then. They wouldn’t speak for a month and their eyes always looked like they were empty. “Well, I was extremely depressed then. I never told you this but I’d also lost my job. I thought the entire world was ending for me. And one day, I decided that I wanted to end me before the world did.”

You’ll gasp and gape at your friend, frightened by the very thought that they might not be sitting there in front of you then.

“Yeah, I’m surprised that I ever thought about that too.” They’ll sigh and space out for a moment, thinking about the past. “Anyways, I was in my room with the barrel on my temple and my finger on the trigger when I saw something on my desk. It was my pencil. This pencil.” They hold the pencil up and wiggle it in the air, smiling softly. “And when I looked at it, I recalled all the times in high school where I’d be sitting at my desk wracking my brain for an answer with this pencil in my hand. I’d tap the eraser against my forehead and suddenly, like magic, I’d remember the answer. At that moment, I realized that I didn’t have to give up yet. Sure, I was having a rough time and I was looking for an answer. But it was no reason to stop; I just had to find a pencil to get me through it.”

You’ll stare at your friend for the longest time and you’ll realize that the pencil wasn’t just a pencil. It was strength, it was perseverance, and it was hope.

“So, you see, this pencil is my most treasured item.” Your friend finishes with a grin before slipping the pencil back into a safe place.

Now, when you look at the pencil you won’t see a measly writing utensil. It’ll be a spark of inspiration, a lesson you’ve learned, an item you cherish after your friend passed it on to you when they died. It’ll be a memory of them and a treasure for you.

---

Hi! Sorry it took so long to update!  I promise that the main characters will be in the next chapter. I'm thinking there will be two chapters after this prologue. :)