A breathing piece of abstract art

More than meets the eye

 

 

Minki stayed late after class for the next 5 weeks.
The scenarios during those hours remained the same, unchanged with Minki staying seated behind his easel while Baekho moved around the classroom like he'd always done, rearranging, cleaning, sometimes scribbling into a little sketchbook he carried but always aware of the dark orbs of his student following his every move.
Despite the amount of talk and questions they've tossed at each other on the first day both of them opted to remain quiet.
Minki's presence was kind of irritating at first, Baekho was just so used to his daily routines and having Minki around he felt the need to entertain the younger boy but he soon figured that Minki didn't expect him to do anything special or extraordinary.
Actually it seemed to be the ordinary, casual atmosphere that the boy came for.
He was perfectly fine with just sitting in the art room quietly watching Baekho roam around the room or letting his eyes gaze over the pieces displayed on the walls.
Eventually Baekho had gotten used to Minki's presence after the first week.

If Baekho was honest he had to admit that Minki had drawn him in more than just a little.
He was like a delicate piece of art as he sat on his chair, his long blond hair framing snowy skin and rosy cheeks.
Baekho has slowly started to observe, to wonder and to admire.
He's created a habit of keeping an eye on the young feminine student and he cherished the moments they spend together in the art room.
It gave him the opportunity to observe the boy further, to take in every detail of his appearance, expressions and gestures.
He's already noticed so many things about the student, had picked up many tiny details about him but still Minki always left him with more questions.
Minki was cocky in a way but not a snob, slightly arrogant but not utterly full of himself and Baekho liked that about the boy.
He liked his strong aura that seemed to wrap around the boys form like a shield, a protection from things Baekho couldn't name just yet.
There were just so many things that the art instructor was eager to ask and there was something about the boy he urged to discover.
 

He sat on his chair with his eyes once more fixed on the blonde slender figure as the boy stared out of the window.
Minki was indeed like a piece of perfectly abstract art, beautiful with an underlying depth, like a core that the observer was oblivious too.
Something laying underneath the pale milky skin and displayed on the lines of his slim nose, a secret hidden in bow curved lips and a well of emotions and deeper meaning behind cool brown orbs hidden behind long dark lashes.

 

Even with their lack of conversation Baekho felt comfortable around the younger boy.
He sparked interest in him, something that normally only crafted pieces of art managed to do.
The boy’s appearance alone, despite his personality and behavior, was a fascinating sight to him.
Never before had he seen someone so free of norms, features somewhere in between both genders like they blend together to form into something new, something that was entirely Minki and nothing else.



"Are you just going to stare or will you actually talk?" 
The blonde boy’s voice cut through the silence of the room and caught Baekho off guard.
He straightened his back and tore his gaze away from the others features, clearing his throat.
He hadn't even noticed himself staring blatantly at the boy while his mind had tried to get image and reality connected.
Minki was looking at him, expression unfazed as he cocked his head to the side.

"I can tell you want to ask some questions so go ahead I don't mind."
He said, sounding like he was already used to scenarios like this.
Baekho figured he probably was.


He wasn't the type to judge people for how they looked or what they did or liked, he just wasn't a judging person but Choi Minki had sparked something in him.
He was curious, as he'd never seen or met anyone like the boy in front of him who so much looked like a pretty girl.
Baekho couldn't understand why a boy would do something like dressing as a girl, he didn't see any reasons for things like that but he wasn't judging.
It wasn't a question of good or bad, like or dislike to him it was just the simple question of why that nagged at him.

Minki kept his eyes locked on him waiting for him to speak and even though Baekho knew it wasn't appropriate in his position as a teacher to question his students on personal matters his rationality couldn't win over his curiosity after all.


He swallowed hardly before phrasing his question, starting with the first guess on why the boy had decided to outshine all of his female classmates in looks.
It was the first time they actually talked out of class after the first day and Baekho couldn't believe the words that left his mouth when he finally set his vocal cords into action.

„So…do you actually want to be a girl?“ he asked quietly and to his surprise Minki did not even move one muscle over his question.
“No” The boy simply replied, eyes still fixed on Baekho with a cold expression.
Baekho knitted his eyebrows and rubbed his neck nervously while Minki remained on his spot waiting for him to drop the next question.
“Then are you gay?” Baekho finally uttered in a very thin voice.
The bluntness of the questions that left his mouth was shocking him and he cursed himself for asking things that were far from appropriate but he couldn't just not ask.
He wanted to know and the questions had gone round in his head for too long already.
“No”
Was the simple reply he got, the other not seeming affected by his assumption.
“But then why?” Baekho asked finally, now utterly confused as to why his student decided to appear the way he did.
His eyes roamed Minki's form, legs clad in cyan skinny jeans, loose fitted coral shirt on top with a low neckline exposing a good portion of his creamy white skin.
“Because I obviously can.” Minki replied matter-of-factly with a shrug of his shoulders, a little pout playing on his lips like it was the only reason he needed.
And maybe that was indeed the only reason necessary and Baekho had to admit that he did have a point in that.
Matter of fact this boy made the perfect girl without the slightest of effort. 
Even when mentally removing the colorful clothes, imagining the blond strands in a short cut and eyeliner removed from the others doll like eyes Baekho was sure Minki would still remain with his incredible feminine features. 

Baekho nodded more to himself than to agree with his student and Minki leant back in his chair.
Arms stretched over his head letting the joints in his spine pop.
“Do you have a problem with my appearance?” he asked, arms still raised above his head, lightly rocking forth and back on his chair.
Baekho raised his gaze again and looked him up and down.
No Minki didn't look weird, it wasn't that he looked like a drag but rather looked very pretty and delicate.
Baekho didn't dare to think the thought till the end but for a moment he found himself agreeing with his inner voice noting that his student indeed looked breathtakingly beautiful and perfect, his gender not even being a question in that insight.
It was just that Baekho found his idea of male and female appearance being messed up by the others appearance, it was like his eyes and head collided whenever he looked at him.
His mind knew Minki was a boy, his eyes definitely told him he was a girl and it was kind of hard to deal with that confusion in addition to his already tangled thoughts.
He shook his head never the less.
“Ok good.” Minki said and got up from his chair, grabbing the bag off the floor to mindlessly toss his sketching materials into it.
He bowed to Baekho and his heels, hips swaying left and right as he walked out the back door.
Baekho's eyes followed him through the glass windows on the side until he rounded a corner and was out of sight.

He shook his head, rubbing his temples with the heels of his hands to dissolve the burning feeling of -something- from his mind.
He really wondered how the boy was so self-confident when he could have been an easy target for bullies and the like.
Especially at a place where fitting in while standing out was the number one priority.
He couldn't deny the tiny bits of worry for the boy because if anything Baekho wanted to know Minki save and happy though with his cool attitude it was hard to tell the boys emotions.
Minki just seemed so unfazed by all the gazes other students send his way, he seemed unaffected to Baekho's own gazes and the questions he'd asked hadn't affected him in the slightest.
Not that Baekho minded he was glad Minki had taken his very personal interrogation so easy.
He just hoped the boy would be back after the next class as well but somehow he already felt like he definitely would be.

 

(Note: sorry this is so short....)