New students and awkward silence

More than meets the eye

 

The first student that stepped through Baekhos classroom door had him fascinated within seconds.
He'd never felt like this before but it just happened naturally, the way his heart stumbled for a couple of beats when he turned around, it was something new and unfamiliar but not unwelcome at all.

 He was fixing up some of the materials they'd be working with today, his back facing the door, when he heard the students, soft melodic voice.
It was a nice voice, a little quiet maybe a tad shyness in its tone and he'd thought of a slender, short guy with messy hair and roaming eyes, probably clad in simple clothes but when he'd turned around he met the picture of a girl instead.
One moment maybe two Baekho just stared at the new student his mind doing the processing on over drive as he tried to match the voice and image to go along with each other.
He blinked and his eyes roamed the younger ones figure, from tip to toe.
The students frame was slim indeed the white oversized shirt hung loose on his figure, black and white pali scarf draped around his neck, skinny blue jeans clung to his thin legs and his feet stuck in untied black military boots.
It took Baekho a second to concentrate on the others face, who from the sound of his voice was obviously male but looked so delicate and fragile with his platinum blonde hair tied in a ponytail, straight bangs hanging into his eyes.
There was no make-up on his flawless face, skin soft and pale.
His bow shaped puffy lips did not show a smile or any of that sort, his nose was delicate and small, his big brown orbs framed by long lashes.
Baekho thought the other was the perfect definition for the term -gender-blender-.
He rubbed his neck awkwardly noticing the way he'd stared at the younger boy for probably longer than needed.
"Come in. Take a seat! I'm Kang Dongho." He said a little hasty, gesturing for the boy to step into the room who followed his invitation a bit hesitantly.

Baekho turned back to the mannequins, rearranging the draping for the third time that morning.
Not because he was dissatisfied with it but because the student’s presence made him nervous for reasons he could not pin point at the moment.
Maybe it was because the boy’s eyes were piercing in the way they gazed at him and Baekho just didn't know what to make of it.
The blonds face remained emotionless almost bored, maybe even a little annoyed and somehow it just send chills down Baekhos spine.
He was used to being around people who didn't think highly of him, at least not of his appearance but from what he'd noticed the boy had barely spared him a look so that couldn't be any reason after all.


An awkward silence filled the room, occasionally disturbed by the rustling of fabrics and it only added to Baekhos uneasiness.
He swallowed hard and took a deep breath trying to calm his mind.
 

"Choi Minki." the boy finally spoke up again and Baekho turned around to find him standing in the middle of the circle of easels.

The students face remained unfazed but Baekho noticed the soft spark that invaded the blondes eyes as they roamed over the walls, plastered with various works of former students.
His lips twitch, just lightly in the vague attempt of a smile and Baekho thought it was beautiful, not the person himself though he wouldn't deny that either but the way he appreciated the art he was surrounded by.
Minki's eyes gazed over every piece of paper that Baekho had so neatly attached to the walls, obviously taking in every detail of the lines and colors.

"Do you enjoy art?" Baekho asked, still a little uncomfortable with the others silent presence.
His eyes flickered over to the clock hanging right above the door, it was about time for the rest of the students to fill into the room and Baekho was thankful for that.
The boy shrugged, not replying to his question and pointed at the easels.

"Can I sit anywhere?" he asked and Baekho nodded.
"Anywhere you want we won't have fixed seating arrangements."
The boy nodded and walked over to one of the easels that was close to the windows, placing his messenger bag onto the floor before he said down.

 

 

 

The room soon filled with life as more students walked in, most of the chattering away.
Baekho got busy greeting each and every one separately trying to remember their faces and names but his eyes travelled back to the blond student occasionally.
He shock off the feeling of fascination that flickered in his mind.
He wasn't able to grasp it yet and it wasn't supposed to matter as he told everyone to take a seat about 15 minutes after the actual beginning of the class.
Students always tended to be late on their first day as they got held up by all the works that were displayed all over school, stopping here and there to take a look at portfolios or illustrations, taking a moment to brush their fingers over the fabrics of displayed clothes and he didn't mind at all.
Stools scratched over the wooden flooring, students rushed from one seat to another trying to stick to the people they'd gotten to know already and Baekho watched in amusement as the business calmed down and their eyes travelled to rest on him in expectation.

"So shall we begin?" He asked, a big friendly smile plastered to his face and some students hummed in respond.
And with that Baekho started a little round of introduction, asking each of the students to tell their name, age, hometown, to give a short explanation on why they choose to pursue a career in fashion and what interested him the most , to explain in a couple of words what art meant to them.
He always liked to listen to the student’s explanations, how some of them fought to come up with an answer while some others knew exactly what to reply.
Some of the students faced art and fashion as one of a kind, others drew a clear line between the two and it gave Baekho ideas on how their designs might turn out at a later time.
He thought it was interesting how they faced art so differently, emotionally or rationally and Baekho wouldn't judge either opinion.
When it was time for Minki to speak he seemed absentminded.
One of the students next to him shoved him lightly and the boy raised his head, rattling off the basic information he'd been asked to state.
"Choi Minki, 17 years old from Busan."
"I though fashion might be fun...and..." he trailed off and Baekho noticed some of the student rolling their eyes on his statement but he urged him to go on.

"Art is something that can't be judged...no matter how much judgment it receives." Minki finished and cocked his head, slightly glaring at one of the girls who was giggling about his words.
Baekho nodded, sending a smile in Minkis direction who almost returned it but opted to stare off through the window instead, the bored expression returning to his face.


Baekho cleared his throat, deciding it was time to finally start their first lesson.
 

 

(Note: I'm sorry about the chapters being so short and taking so long...I'm kind of busy....)