Chapter 1: The Beginning of a New Life

Guardians of the Tree ┇Story Beginning┇

 

 

"Yeonhyo-unnie! Look over there... Shush... Don't point! That's rude..." Minra scolded her friend. Although her friend was older than her by a six months, it was alright with her informal speech because they weren't Korean. They moved to Korea as exchange students.

"Who the hell are you talking about then?!" Yeonhyo was slightly impatient because this was holding off their monthly shopping spree. Once she noticed a small crowd of divine and gorgeous boys heading their way, her slightly chubby cheeks lit up with a rosy pink blush. Minra giggled at her best friend and continued.

"The tall one with the black hair is really cute. But he probably won't like me because...." Minra sighed deeply. None of the boys who actually 'liked' her, really liked her. She was like an experiment to them— just a foreign girl with tattoos. 

"What the hell is wrong with your eyes?! He's ugly! On the other hand his friend with the tan skin is fine as hell.... And the young looking one with blondish-brown hair is a cutie..." Yeonhyo whispered quickly and fixing her outfit. She has been looking for a man for a long- time and here were some just waltzing over to them.

"Excuse me... Do you know where the food court is?" The boy with the fluffy hair questioned the girls. They were surprised that he would even ask them such a question.... Especially since the huge sign right in front of them read, 'Food Court is in Section G.'

"Um... There's a sign right behind of you saying the section that it's located in..." Minra awkwardly answered. The boy seemed to notice his mistake because his cheeks became a dilute shade of pink. He released a loud fit of laughter.

"Sorry about that. Luhan here and I can't read Hangul because we are Chinese... Plus Jongin—" The tall and handsome Chinese boy was abruptly cut off by the tan boy.

"It's Kai! I'm sorry for being rude but.... you know.... I don't like my name Kim Jongin because of the North Korean guy..." Kai slightly bowed to the older boy. The boy sighed and forgave him with a slight nod.

"Anyways... I'm Tao... Back to what I was sayin'. We can't read Hangul and Kai... Doesn't want to help us... Can you show us the way?" Minra nodded instantaneously and rushed to show them the way. She struggled to start up a conversation with Tao but was too nervous. Once they reached the food court, Minra and Yeonhyo tried distancing themselves but couldn't because the boys clung onto them.

"We know you have powers.... You should try covering up your tattoos Minra...." Luhan burst out. The girls' baffled faces gave them away. Minra shamefully tried to cover up her tattoos on her right wrist and left ankle. 

"We need your help. Sit down and listen to what I have to say..." Minra and Yeonhyo listened carefully because they were scared that they were found out. They told no one of their powers in fear of being singled out and being labeled as, 'Aliens'.

"You aren't aliens... Don't worry. How do I know this? I have the power of telepathy. I can read your minds, change your thoughts, causes you to hallucinate, etc. Yeonhyo.-ssi, you apparently have my power and another one" Luhan was cut off by Kai.

"You have my power, the power of teleportation. You can move objects or people from one place to another without having to occupy a space between the two areas. It may not seem like a lot but it comes in handy like Luhan-ssi's power." Kai bowed his head to Luhan as an apology.  Luhan nodded and let Tao finish for him.

"Minra... You have my power, which is the power of Time Control. I guess y-you already know that but... Um... A-Anyways, you can stop, reverse, fast-forward, and change time without affecting any other dimensions... I'll be helping you master your powers too. I think Sehun is also your mentor because of your ankle tattoo..." Tao finished with a blush on his face. Minra was pretty cute to be honest. Still shocked, the girls tried to shallow down the somewhat new information. Minra could barely swallow while Yeonhyo just sat wide eyed and scared. Although they knew about their powers since they were 15, they've lived most of their teenage life in terror of using them wrongly.

"Are you guys exchange students?" The girls nodded. Minra answered that they attended Seoul High School of Performing Arts for their junior and senior years. Kai smirked in reponse and tried to seduce the girls with his words and eyes.

"We also attend Seoul High School of Performing Arts... Do you know of the group EXO? All of us have these powers and have been protecting the Tree of Life... For we are the Guardians of the Tree of Life." Slowly comprehending the words spilling from their mouths, the girls tried piecing together all the information leading up to this. Once they understood, they nodded their heads in approval.

"So basically.... You're trying to say that you guys and like 9 others have the same powers as us and you want... Or more like need our help in protecting some Tree? Hahaha! That's hilarious!" Minra's baffled laughter startled the boys. She walked away from the boys and Yeonhyo to continue her shopping spree. Luhan sighed and nodded to Tao in her direction. Tao understood the signal and followed after the much shorter girl.

"Why don't you believe us? Do I have to show you my powers? Please help us! We need your help! MAMA intrusted us with the Tree of Life and if we don't find all 6 girls, the whole world is in Danger!"

Minra turned around on her heels and barked, "Why should I give up my life for some boys who obviously are joking? And who the heck is this MAMA person? Are they God? Why would God entrust humans with such an important tree anyways?!" Tao was shocked that such a small person could get so terrifying. Tao liked that.

"MAMA... I don't know how to say this, but MAMA is God. He told our ancestors to protect this tree for the world's faith depended on it. The Tree of Life is weak against sin. Much sinning has been taking place since before our time. The Tree of Life is weakening and will soon die. If the Tree of Life dies... The world will end." A spare tear rolled down Minra's delicate face. If the world ends.... How will you know where you'd end up? No one deserves to die without one more chance of doing good. "Please Minra... We need you... The world needs you. You were chosen to be one of us." Gulping down more tears, Minra realized her life's new path. If she chose wrong, life as we know it is at stake. 

"I-I want... I need you to show me your powers before I can trust you..." Minra stuttered slightly. Tao nodded and pulled her into the nearest clothing shop. Tao 'accidentaly' pushed down a random object. 

"Watch this." Tao shot out his arm and pointed it to the fallen obeject. Hastily, the object flew back into it's original place as if it was retracing its steps. Minra shot her head in multiple directions to see if anyone saw that. The people around them were also reversed. Minra's head slowly began to nod again.

"If I decided to join you, would it affect my personal life greatly? Am I still able to go to school, get an education, marry, have kids, etc. all the basic stuff?" Tao was speechless. He couldn't answer her questions this time for he, himself, didn't know if any of them could go back to their normal lives.

"All I know is... Once you join us, most of your personal life will involve studying and practicing. You would have to live with us and go to school with us too. All of this is to protect and help you. There are actually forces out to get you everytime we find of you guys..." Tao and Minra managed to find their way back to Yeonhyo and the others. Tao was shocked to see Yeonhyo shamelessly throwing herself on Kai and Luhan. Dirty, erted flirts were sent back and forth between Yeonhyo and Kai.

"Lee Yeonhyo! Couldn't you have waited at least a freaking month before you show your hoe side off!" Yeonhyo pouted but didn't removed herself from around Kai's upper body. All she could do was seduce Kai even more with her dirty words full of playful lust. Minra's admonishing speech with Yeonhyo was cut short once Minra received a phone call from her mother.

"Yes Mum? What's wrong? Why didn't you call me on Skype? Doesn't it cost a lot of money to call Korea?" The young girl questioned her mother in her native tongue, English. Her mother's sniffles and poorly disguised sobs were a dead give away that something has happened.

"My baby.... My poor and angelic baby. Mommy loves you. I'm sorry I didn't know.... You're the best daughter any mother could ask for. Straight As, talented, beautiful, gentle, persuasive, and independent.... I love you hunny." Scared and questioning Minra beckoned for her mother to continue.

"Pastor always told me you were a gifted and holy girl. I just... I just didn't know that you were specifically choosen to be something so great... So amazing. I love you. A-although I would have wished for you to t-tell me that you had powers that no ordinary man or woman could possess. I love you. Makay—" Minra abrutly cut off her mother once she began saying her birth name. She sighed deeply as her warm, salty tears erupted from her eyes.

"Mummy... I'm sorry... I-I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you. I'm the worst. It's not supposed to be like this. I'm supposed to go back home and tell you about my wonderful adventures in Korea. I'm not supposed to be this person. I'm sorry...." Minra hung up on her mother and sat down. She furiously rubbed away her tears. Tao and Yeonhyo tried to comfort her with murmurs and sweet nothings. Her sobs decreased but her body's shaking didn't.

"Is this pain what true devastation is? I feel helpless and weak... I'm vunerable and unable to think straight. I hate this feeling. My heart aches. I will go with you. But I beg of you.... Please fill this void. I don't want to feel this pain. I want happiness even if I will die saving the world... I want to feel happy and have many close friends that love me like my family." Tao's gentle and sincere smile soothen's Minra's heart. He hugged her genuinely.

"It will be an honor to be your mentor Miss Choi Minra." Minra's wrist and Tao's bracelet began to glow. Time paused as Tao wipped her tears away. 

"OMG! Do you see that crying girl? I think her boyfriend left her and that black-haired guy is filling her void.... Gurl, I know how it feels to be there." A loud voice from a few tables away interupted their genuine bonding moment. The girl was shushed by her group of friends. They were all wearing the Seoul High School of Performing Arts uniform.

Yeonhyo remembered the faces of two of the girls. The first girl had wavy light brown hair and was wearing an oversized orange and blue stripped sweater underneath her un-buttoned uniform jacket. She was energetic and cheerful. She tried stearing away the conversation by introducing a new topic about a new and popular boy group called TASTY. Yeonhyo noticed that the girl had a topic of a similar design on her ankle.

As suspicious as she was, she held off the subject until the group exited the mall. Mentally, she remembered the girl's appearance and personality. The other face Yeonhyo remembered was of the weilded adorable light brown pigtails and was clad in her uniform with multiple Hello Kitty accessories. She was bubbly, angelic and innocent-like. Yeonhyo smirked darkly. She liked those kinds of girls. Innocent and unknowing. Even though Yeonhyo couldn't confirm whether or not she had a tattoo, Yeonhyo wanted to take care of the innocent girl and take many selcas with her.

Once Minra recovered, she offered the buy all of them food. She warned Yeonhyo about her budget and her spending money on gorgeous designer clothing. While chatting over the meal, numbers were exchanged and a location was specificed for tommorow.

The group seperated ways after deciding to introduce the other boys to the girls. Yeonhyo was giggled and swooing about her encounter with the 'handsome' and 'y' Kai plus the 'cutesy' and 'adorable' Luhan.  In the mists of her -like discussion, Yeonhyo's confusion and anger still lingered within her mind.

'What if these boys are lying? What if these other girls hate her? What if they insult her and her weight problems? And worst of all, What is we all die?!'

 

 

 

A/N: Sorry you guys! I started typing this from when I first started to accept people. I didn't really mention too many people but I'll do better next chapter! I'll make sure to give you guys an equal share or the story... I think this story will have at maximum 30-35 chapters? Please comments with any compliments, ideas, etc. Don't worry, most chapters that are not romance will not be this long ^^... I got carried away... a bit. Chapter Two: A Faith Unseen should be released by the end of this week too!

OCs Mentioned: Lee Jinhee, Jung Eunna, Choi Minra, and Lee Yeonhyo.

 

사랑합니다