Final

Blooming Blossoms

 

A long, long time ago, on the day the world was yet not named. Princess Miyoung sat on the hills by her palace, in Gyeongju, on her perfectly carved marble bench. Day after day she sat there waiting, watching, and listening. No one knew why and they did not ask for they were afraid. For she had such daunting power, it was only natural that the people cowered in fear at the thought of her ability to smite them.  Princess Miyoung was a treasured daughter of the blessed Teojushin, goddess of earth. Miyoung could bend the earth at will if she wanted within a blink of the eye and simple flick of the wrist.

It was a warm spring afternoon and Princess Miyoung did not sit by the hills of Gyeongju. Everyone whispered and gossiped about what could have happened. There was even talk of sending out the imperial guards to search for her whereabouts.  But little did the people know, she was safe and sound, talking to the god _______ , god of the sea, on the beauteous beach. Why were they were talking was a mystery to all except the two of them. Slowly, Princess Miyoung’s presence in the hills became less constant. Curious whispers spread across the kingdom like wild fire.

On the ninth day of the sixth month, Princess Miyoung received a gift from her mother. It was an early present for the day of her birth. Miyoung’s birthday was not until the first of the eight month, almost more than two months away. Miyoung received small almond sized seeds. She planted it in the ground at the top of the hills just as her mother had instructed her to. Soon her presence became ever constant in the hills as she waited for it to grow. 

One day, when Miyoung made her way up the hill to watch the the seeds’ growth she saw _______ watering it. Princess Miyoung had befriended ________ through her constant visits to the beach; however her last visit seemed like ages ago. The princess walked over to him to ask what he was doing, although she already knew. He did not answer. You could hear the wind whistle as the silence lingered through the air. As _______ watered the seed, a small green stem popped out of the ground. He kept watering until the stem was four and a half feet tall. It was the most amazing thing Miyoung had ever seen. The tree seemed to just bloom by magic as ________ watered it.

_______ had quickly fell for Princess Miyoung, and longed to make her his wife. He thought she was as beautiful as the sunset and as lovely as the ocean. _______ decided to propose to her tomorrow at sunset. He did not care it was so soon, he considered the quicker the better.

“Miyoung-ah~, you are the most beautiful thing on this earth and you are so lovely, that I fell in love with you. I love you, Hwang Miyoung. Will you marry me” ______ confessed, and knelt down on one knee. The princess was in shock as tears escaped from her eyes, streaming steadily down her soft cheeks.

 “Yes, I will marry you,” She managed to whisper just loud enough for him to see. As tears trickled down her pink rosy cheeks and into her smooth black hair, she smiled radiantly, her eye smile capturing _______’s heart once again. He tenderly wiped away her tears, to reveal that his eyes also watered.

“I WILL LOVE HWANG MIYOUNG FOREVER!!!!” ______ rejoiced, and screamed to the heavens. She laughed and kissed him on the cheek. The wedding was planned to be on the fifteenth of the fourth month. _______ told Miyoung to relax and he would prepare everything, so she would not have to lift a finger.

On the day of the wedding Miyoung wore a formal yet elegant white dress while _______ was dressed in traditional black hanbok. Everyone arrived including Miyoung’s mother. As soon as the wedding was over Mioyung and _______ were exhausted. They arrived at their home (that ______ bought), and sunk into the bed covered in red roses.

The next morning, at an unexpected notice, Princess Miyoung was called to leave Gyeongju for her father’s birthday. Her father had no special powers for he was no god. Her mother fell in love with him because of his great intelligence. If you missed his birthday he would be furious because that was the only day he was not working. Her father was the mayor of Daegu, so he was almost always busy.

She left her home kissing ______ goodbye without another word. At the party Miyoung ate so much food she could barely breathe. She was worried and depressed for Toshiaki; she had left on the day right after their wedding. When she glanced to check what her father was doing, she noticed he was drunk from drinking sake with his friends. Miyoung peered over to ensure her father was not looking, and then sneaked out the door without him even noticing.

 Princess Miyoung did not return until the fifth of the fifth month. When she came back, Miyoung decided to visit the tree she had planted nearly a month before. When she reached Osaka there was a forest full of blossoms. Her tree had sprouted to a wonderful 6 feet! _______ sauntered out from the shadows pulling Miyoung into a hug, as she ran into his arms, then a soft but passionate kiss. He smiled and told Miyoung that the tree had only bloomed because she had come back. The tree had withered away into nothing when she left. Her responsibility now was to the plum blossoms. Now she was a goddess, immortal with power.

Together, _______ and Miyoung grew many plum blossoms. Their powers formed together were much more powerful than they separated. Miyoung planted while ______ watered, by the time the day ended there were hundreds spread throughout Gyeongju.

Every year after Miyoung discovered she was a goddess, she left Gyeongju to celebrate her father’s birthday. She always re the fifth month and that is why the plum blossom tree has five petals every spring time today. When ______ watered Miyoungs’s seeds that was when the first plum blossom began to bloom. That is how the blossoms came into the world. Princess Miyoung and ______’s spirits still linger next to every plum blossom to make sure it lives on through spring.