When He Serves the Order Up

Pins and Post-its

 

There were still a few minutes left before the shop opens and I was already feeling groans and moans from the crouched form of Daehyun this early in the morning. It turns out the guy has been out late drinking and had just returned four hours ago, that would be six in the morning, since it just turned ten.

 

“! ! ! ! ! Such an ! Fuuuuuuccccckkkk!”

Now I’m hearing a string of curses from his mouth. I smack him in the head before heading for the door to flip the sign into ‘Open’ telling him to stop moping and cussing because it’s bringing bad vibes for the shop. Though what came out next from Daehyun’s mouth both earned him a standing ovation and a slow clap and the angels’ chorus singing Hallelujah.

 

“I think I just phoned Jongup while I was drunk and said something about liking him in a way that you’re supposed to basically feel for someone of the opposite .” I was silent then demanded for his phone. Quietly, he complied and I pressed here, scrolled down there, plug it up to a wire and made one final press.

 

Hallelujah!

 

The choir’s angelic harmonious blend of alto, soprano and bass and timbre filled the shop. “Finally!” I exclaimed with both my hands raised as if venerating the heavens.

“What are you talking about?” Daehyun exasperated. “And could you give me my phone back?” but he snatched it from my palm before I could even move, detached it from the speakers and tucked it in his pants.

“You did call Jongup,” I said and he hits his head on the table. “You know alcohol and being under the influence of is probably one old truth serum, you’ve got to admit.” All I could hear is Daehyun groaning. For a smart person, he sure is dumb. I sighed, just when I thought he had a very important breakthrough.

“What did Jongup say?” I asked, to change tack and to see what’s the current situation is. Daehyun became silent. And mumbled what I already knew – that Jongup feels for him the way he does for the younger man. “Say, you find Jongup and me hugging, no that’s too weak, ki –”

Daehyun sprang up from his seat and glaring at me with menacing eyes which shocked me for awhile. I rolled my eyes and went back to the counter, checking on bills and more important things.

 

“Dae, obviously you like him and I’m probably the only person who noticed it because you’re an odd ball and you need to speak for others to understand that as well but Jongup is a far less complex character than you are so he either vent it out on his closest of friends or they’ve got some ideas already and cornered him into saying it out or something;” I said as I casually flip on pages and finally the groaning stopped. “But if you really regret saying it then why don’t you take it back?” I suggested off-handedly.

“Are you kidding me?” he said. “That would be stupid and would hurt him,” I raised an eyebrow at him. He cowered back to his seat. “It’s just,” he hesitates and when frustration gobbles him he stood up and took his jacket and headed for the door. “, I’m taking a day off and go finish the thesis and stuff for now.”

 

Now what to do? Should I meddle? No, I’ll let the two of them work things out. Hopefully, the thought that Daehyun isn’t the only one confused about the whole thing would get to his head because to get a call at four in the morning is something that might as well happen in your dream.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Jongup woke up confused and the first thing he did was check his phone. There was a call from Daehyun but he still couldn’t believe it and wished it was a text instead. As he heads for the shower his face was barely that of a face as he remembered – he had made a confession and was about to beat his self over it when he remembered Daehyun had also confessed to him.

 

Jongup wanted to call to confirm but the courage he had hours ago had dissipated and the farthest he could go is pick up the phone, press on Daehyun’s contact number and just watch it as he ponders on what to do – he could choose to call or to send a text message or, the thing he has done over and over, watch until the auto-lock in blackens his screen. But Jongup had decided that he’ll let Daehyun make the first move even if he was all too curious, as long as he had voiced it out, as long as he knows that Daehyun doesn’t hate him and almost smiled silly that it was contrary to his worse fears. He was just thankful that with how school was getting even more hectic and his desire to not repeat a year, his mind has been off the four am incident.

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

“So how things going with Jongup,” I asked. It has been three weeks already. Daehyun shakes his head.

“What do you mean?” I was beginning to feel worried.

“Nothing. I did not a thing,” he finally said as he dropped on the floor that he had been sitting and went to a fetal position. It was a day where we closed the shop, it was that sort of holiday.

“What?!” my mouth literally fell open.

“I lost my phone on the same day remember and I was too full of myself and haven’t committed his number to memory yet,” he fell on a desperate state, probably he had been carrying this feeling for the past weeks. “I was planning to ask him again when he comes over while I clear things up, with a clear head and all but he hasn’t been to the café again.”

“You could’ve asked it from me or IU,” I exasperated.

“No,” he moped. “I don’t need you guys to tease me or anything, especially IU. How’d she act when she finds out that her brother is gay? Though I don’t think I’m homo but still,” and he continued on walking depression lane.

“And you don’t care about how I’d react to this revelation?” somehow I feel a bit hurt.

“You’ve pretty much deduced everything before anything was created especially about Jongup. You probably knew about that before he even told you, right?”

I nodded because it was correct. “IU knows of Jongup’s ual orientation and she doesn’t love you so much that she adores you like a perfect brother, so she won’t be too affected by it.” Daehyun became silent and started about a whole different matter and I stood up and went to the kitchen, I gave up making my childhood best friend feel better and ordered some black spaghetti and chicken. Daehyun is lucky, Jongup has a lot of things to think about other than him.

 

 

 

Thirty minutes later, the door bell rang. “Get that will you,” I told the still sulking Daehyun on the floor. Slowly it, I mean, he moved, got up and headed for the door.

 

Daehyun couldn’t understand and believe his eyes and what he’s seeing – he is seeing the black spaghetti and chicken brought by the delivery guy, it was the delivery guy that shocked him.

“That’ll be sixty dollars,” Jongup said mechanically professional. I sauntered out from my room and handed the exact bills to Jongup who exchanged it with the dishes.

“I’ll just fetch them tomorrow or you can drop them off,” he said as his parting words but unlike the usual I pulled him inside and explained that I had called saying that I’m borrowing him for the rest of the day or depending on how long the two of them patch things up or connect things.

 

“I’ll be upstairs, good luck you two,” I said as I closed the door behind me and headed for the second floor rooms. My parents own an apartment complex and I helped them managed it. So, I said I would leave the two of them be, but I can’t. I’ll have to meddle a little if I want them to have a giant leap in their relationship.

 

 

 

Jongup didn’t say a thing though it was awkward, to be together again after another long time and with things left hanging. He headed for the couch and flopped down.

“You work in a Noodle house?” Daehyun asked as he followed Jongup’s suit.

Jongup was busy flipping channels, to calm his nerves, “My grandfather owns the place, I help out sometimes,” he answered. He barely had his eyes off the screen and when he felt Daehyun’s weight on the other end of the couch he stands up and heads for the kitchen. “Do you have anything to drink?”

Daehyun follows him with his eyes and replied something barely audible.

 

Daehyun hits himself as he follows Jongup again. He debates with himself mentally again but one thing was for certain – it was now or never. There was no turning back, or he could turn back with his tail in between his legs like a coward and be sadly depressed for as long as he could.

 

Jongup went to the fridge and muttered to himself for not finding any trace of anything alcoholic, he needed something of the sort to calm his nerves, to straighten up his wits and let the words and worries and emotions stumble out of his system. It had been three weeks since that incident and though he knew what had happened with Daehyun’s phone, it still didn’t make him any less worried. Worried that maybe the part where Daehyun confessed to him was a dream and it was only him who had loved and Daehyun was freaked out by it. He wanted to find out what was true but he was afraid of the what ifs – what if he was right, Daehyun is disgusted with him, that everything was just a wonderful dream after a nice car ride. He wasn’t ready for that sort of truth and he didn’t need any heart break while he is mentally and physically drained with med school and the hopes of internship that could just probably break him entirely. He was already getting emotionally upset as well.

 

“Could you t – ” Jongup said as he closed the fridge’s door behind him but as he turned around he was startled by a pair of soft lips, subtly crushed against his, shutting him up entirely, and stopping his heart and mind figuratively.

“I’m sorry,” Daehyun muttered breathlessly after breaking the kiss.

“For kissing me?” Jongup wanted to be reassured. Daehyun shakes his head and Jongup felt relieved.

 

He liked the guy and still likes him but Daehyun was too confusingly contradicting when it comes to his feelings that Jongup still finds it unbelievably cute and he’s even more amazed at himself realizing that fact. And he knew, if Daehyun had really find him filthy then he’d really fall into a depression.

 

“I’m sorry, for being myself, for being utterly and completely being an idiot and a beginner to these sorts of things,” Daehyun explained. He bites his lower lip before he continued. Jongup stood silently, waiting. “But I like you,” Daehyun said with the firmest resolve he has ever had since Time started and decided that they should cross paths.

“I like you too,” Jongup said off-handedly casual, testing Daehyun, determining what he really means.

Daehyun places both his arms on the fridge, causing it to slightly shake by the impact and cornering Jongup. “No, I like you in a way I’ve told you when I was under the influence of the pre-historic kind of truth serum.” Jongup was confused there, but was able to work his brain into it, and had now figured that sort of incident could and did happen.

“So you’re saying you’re homo?”

“I – I don’t know,” Daehyun admits. “But that’s what I’m probably saying, because you’re a guy and I’m a guy and well I like you so much so that I don’t know what to do. I’m sorry, if you’ll have me, you’ll have to be patient with me and teach me because as I have said, I’m a beginner in this subject,” Daehyun says as he inches closer to Jongup and rests his head onto his shoulder as his breath caresses Jongup’s skin.

 

Jongup bit and the insides of his cheeks to keep him from gasping or inhaling raggedly and obviously. His heart was beating too fast like how it would feel when he’s had his exercises in the gym.

“B-but,” he starts and wills himself not to stutter. “I can’t teach you everything Daehyun, you have to learn them by yourself. I’m going to be busy soon, well, basically, I chose a profession that’ll keep me busy for days on. You’ll have to be patient with me too if you want to be with me.”

Daehyun chuckles and the sound vibrates throughout Jongup, making him feel uneasily wonderful.

 

“Can I kiss you?” Daehyun asked, his breath warm onto Jongup’s neck.

“Uh, you already just stole one,” pointed Jongup out.

“Well, yeah, but to make things official or start things official.” And Daehyun plants a quick peck onto the bare skin of that junction between Jongup’s neck and shoulder. “We are officially a couple now, right?” and he kisses one at the base of Jongup’s soft, fair neck.

Jongup’s breath hitches and mutters a soft curse. “The hell, you said you were a beginner?!”

“I am,” Daehyun pouted as he kisses another spot higher and Jongup couldn’t help himself but tilt sideways to make room for Daehyun’s lips.

“Liar,” Jongup hissed. Daehyun smirks as he kissed another spot higher, closer to Jongup’s jaw line.

“I’m a man Jongup, its basic instinct that I’d want to do things with a person I like and I want to start with kissing, actually I initially wanted to re-exchange numbers then talk then kiss but situation’s change and I just noticed how much I desire to do this now that I’m this close.”

“! Just kiss me already, you’re driving me crazy!” And Jongup cups Daehyun’s face within his hands and pulled him up and crashed lips.

 

When they finally broke off the kiss both of them were pressed against each other, face flush.

“You’ll do well, on your own,” Jongup breathed. Daehyun smirked and closed the distance between their lips again.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Now fast forward to present.

 

Daehyun had graduated with flying colors being the second in the whole batch and is now working part-time as he prepares for the national board exams and just living his life casually slow. Jongup with his constant studying, whining, praying, crying has passed into internship. And what have become of their relationship? They’re staying strong, despite the lack of physical contact. Daehyun has improved day by day and it’s scary and funny and wonderful to watch. Though I have to say, he gets cranky when he doesn’t get his daily dose of text messaging or conversation on the phone with Jongup.

 

 

 

  “Daehyun. Jung Daehyun,” I called out twice for him to hear me. “Hey, you love struck puppy, please be reminded that you’re working half a day today because of your lessons for the National Board exams,” I nagged at him and I hated to nag. Nagging and Bang Yongguk don’t mix.

“I’m no love struck puppy,” he denied terribly as he tucked the phone in his pocket and stepped out the counter as he went on to his chores. I leaned against a table, arms spread across my torso, looking quizzically skeptical at him. He glowered at me and said nothing because we both know that he was indefinitely as love struck as anyone who holds an innocent first love.

 

The door chime rings and we immediately switch on our professional looks. We were greeted by a tired, beat-up smile and a pair of dark bags beneath both small smiling eyes. Despite how he looked, Jongup still had ample energy to be al warm and friendly, he didn’t stop over the counter to order, his boyfriend was already working on his drink.

“Congratulations on surviving,” I said. He lifted his hand in reply and waved as he mumbled something.

“That difficult, huh?” I added.

He shook his head. “Not really, I adjusted fairly well.”

“Then why do you look so haggard?”

“Got hooked into playing games in my iPad, go figure.” I burst out laughing. Daehyun interrupted us as he walked towards Jongup and placed a mug and a plate of chocolate chip cookie. Jongup mechanically sat up and looked at the cookie with confusion and wonder. He glanced up at Daehyun.

“I didn’t –” and a pastel green colored note was stuck to his head. He took it out and read as a smile crept on his face. Daehyun went back to the counter silently, another customer had gone inside.

 

 

 

A chocolate chip cookie for the depressed.

 

I learned, finally, that this was what Daehyun had first left for Jongup.

 

 

 

And a :*

-          I would give you a real one but maybe later?

Was an added note, after all, unlike before they are now a couple.

It had only been an hour when Jongup says his goodbye. He received a phone call something about a meeting with his group mates, they have to talk about their cases or something.

 

 

Thanks. Brings back a very precious memory, have I told you that? No, then later too?

Jongup had replied, sticking a note on the mug and Daehyun carefully folds it and presses it inside his wallet before cleaning up. 

 

-END.

 


 

a/n: so i said i'd end here... how about a little bit of prequel or story untold. just a drabble

and thank you to everyone who has stick by me and daehyun and jongup and yongguk