o2

Reaching For You

 

The others couldn’t take it anymore with Sunggyu’s weird acts, especially Sungjong, so all of them decided to drag Sunggyu after college at the café. And they did it although Sunggyu was shouting, asking to let him go. They gave him no mercy when they forced Sunggyu to sit on the chair at the table as all of them were surrounding him.

 

‘Tell us the truth, hyung.’ Sungjong asked.

 

‘What truth?’ Sunggyu was dumbfounded.

 

‘Where did you go after college?’ Myungsoo joined as he was also curious about the situation.

 

‘Hospital, to help my appa.’ Sunggyu’s answer was simple.

 

‘And since when it becomes a hobby of you to help in the hospital. You used to hate it there.’ Sungyeol was holding Sunggyu’s shoulder tight so he won’t escape.

 

Sunggyu then gestured Sungyeol to come closer to him. And Sungyeol did and Sunggyu whispered something,

 

‘I’ll buy you coffee if you let me go.’

 

Sunggyu knew how much Sungyeol adores coffee so he tried to used Sungyeol.

 

‘Really?’ And he did fall for him.

 

But the plan failed because Sungjong heard what they were saying and shouted,

 

‘Hyung!’

 

‘I’m just joking. Who wants coffee anyway.’ Sungyeol said as a cover although he really wanted coffee so badly.

 

Sunggyu glimpsed at his watch and he already late for an hour as usual. He was worried about Woohyun. No, he was missing Woohyun. He wanted him badly close to him. He sighed, knowing the others wanted an answer.

 

‘Just listen. I really need to go now. If I don’t I will regret this for my whole life.’ Sunggyu couldn’t possibly waste another second anymore.

 

He needed to wake him up. He needed him to stay alive for him.

 

‘Do you think we will let you-’ Sungyeol’s words were interposed by Hoya’s.

 

‘Let him go.’

 

‘But hyung…’ Sungyeol looked perplexed at Hoya.

 

‘I believe in him.’ Hoya answered making Sungyeol released Sunggyu.

 

Sunggyu quickly stood up and went straight to the door, but before he could stepped out he turned his sight at his friends and said,

 

‘Thank you.’

 

The moment Sunggyu disappeared from their sight, Sungjong asked,

 

‘What did you do that for hyung?’

 

‘Yeah, we already caught him. Don’t you know how hard to drag him here.’ Sungyeol kept on complaining.

 

‘Don’t you guys see the looks in his eyes?’ Hoya smiled saying that.

 

‘He’s in love.’ Dongwoo finally said some words as he was sitting near Hoya.

 

‘That’s something you don’t see everyday.’ Myungsoo replied as he pulled out his camera and took some pictures of Hoya and Dongwoo, who were smiling but blushed when their eyes met each other.

 

Myungsoo couldn’t help but smiled to see Dongwoo and Hoya still hadn’t had the courage to confess to each other yet. Love is funny for them but as for him love is,

 

‘Myungie, what are you taking?’ Sungyeol hugged Myungsoo from his back.

 

‘Just some photos of two idiots, who are madly in love.’ Myungsoo smiled as he could feel his lover warm.

 

Yeah, love is everything.

 

*****

 

Sunggyu gave all he had to wake Woohyun up. He tried to talk Woohyun out of this. But it wasn’t working. He was running out of time. He was out of idea. Blank on what he should do, he decided to text his friends,

 

‘What is the best way to wake someone?’

 

A few seconds after that all of them replied, Myungsoo’s answer was already guessable for Sunggyu.

 

‘Choke him.’

 

He sighed, reading the next message from Sungyeol.

 

‘Buy him coffee~’

 

‘Always with coffee this kid.’ Sunggyu mumbled as he skimmed into Dongwoo’s message.

 

‘Pull the blanket.’

 

‘Did that and it cause me trouble.’ He shouted at his phone as if Dongwoo could hear it.

 

The next one was from Hoya.

 

‘Throw water at him.’

 

Sunggyu thought for a while after reading that. Hoya had a point he never did that before. Sunggyu rushed into the bathroom outside the ward and borrowed a pail from the nurse. He filled the pail with water and brought it into the ward again. The nurse was curious on what Sunggyu was trying to do so she decided to take a peep.

 

Her eyes were widened when she saw Sunggyu was about to throw water at Woohyun, she shouted,

 

‘Andwae!!!’ She managed to stop Sunggyu by whipping the pail but it wasn’t her luck when the water splash onto her, making her soaked wet.

 

Sunggyu was shocked and looking at the nurse’s face, he pretty sure he was in a big terrible trouble.

 

‘Do you want to kill him?’ The nurse asked.

 

Sunggyu didn’t say a word as the nurse in front of him was so scary. Mascara was coming down to the nurse’s face and her hair was messed up. If he hadn’t known what happened to her, surely he would mistake her for a ghost.

 

‘Mianhe?’ Sunggyu only could say that.

 

The nurse couldn’t stop glaring at him. She took the pail on the floor and walked out the ward, water still dripping from her. The moment she went out, Sunggyu laughed couldn’t ignore the scary look on that nurse.

 

But then he sighed, still not having a way to wake Woohyun up. He then remembered he hadn’t read Sungjong’s message yet. He skimmed on the message, blinking his eyes for a few times.

 

‘It might work.’ Sunggyu mumbled before going out the ward to the counter.

 

Just before he could ask, the nurse that got soaked just now was there, and she was scowling at Sunggyu as she was wiping her hair with a dry towel. Sunggyu avoided from seeing her, he acted as she wasn’t there. He asked the other nurse,

 

‘Excuse me, but it will be okay if I take the oxygen mask off Woohyun.’

 

‘He needs it for his breathing support. But if it’s just for a while, its okay, he won’t die.’ The nurse said.

 

He thanked the nurse before going back into the ward. He took a deep breath before mumbling,

 

‘It’s best to try it.’

 

Slowly, he took off the oxygen mask from Woohyun. He could see Woohyun’s face clearly now. He was amazed to see such perfect face with beautiful jawline. He gulped his saliva before moving closer to Woohyun.

 

He hesitated for a while when his face was an inch far from Woohyun’s. But then, he closed his eyes and let his lips brushed into Woohyun’s lips. Realizing he was kissing Woohyun for so long, he broke the kiss and turned his face away from Woohyun. He was blushing so hard. Although, it was only a soft kiss but Sunggyu wanted it more.

 

Holding back from blushing, Sunggyu quickly put the oxygen mask back on Woohyun’s face. He stared Woohyun, who was already lying there for about two months now, with his black eyes. Hope was layered within his black eyes.

 

‘Woohyun ah…Wake up please.’ Sunggyu hoped that someday Woohyun will open his eyes hearing his pleads.

 

Tears started to drip into the floor as he knew Woohyun wasn’t going to wake up. He bit his lips, preventing any sound to be heard. Then, he chuckled as tears were staining his cheeks. He never thought he will believe in Sungjong’s words to kiss him just like in the sleeping beauty fairytale. But Sunggyu believed in that fairytale, where the part the prince fell in love with the princess even though they never knew each other. Because…

 

He was in love with Nam Woohyun, so much in love, until he would trade his soul to bring Woohyun conscious.

 

*****

Sunggyu was wringing the wet cloth in the basin, as his eyes on Woohyun who was half . Slowly, he wiped Woohyun’s body starting from his hand. He slightly blushed when his fingers brushed into Woohyun’s skin. It was soft.

 

‘Tonight… I’ll be performing at my school musical.’ Sunggyu started to talk as he wiped Woohyun’s arm.

 

He already put the invitation on the table beside Woohyun’s bed although he knew Woohyun won’t come. Even if he wanted to come, he couldn’t in his state.

 

‘I really want you to come.’ Sunggyu voice shrilled a bit, as he knew the possibility of Woohyun waking up is less than 30 percent.

 

One more week. Time was killing Sunggyu and yet Woohyun hadn’t showed any progress. At least a sign didn’t hurt. He finished wiping Woohyun’s body and put on a fresh shirt on him.

 

Sunggyu’s eyes were on Woohyun. He wondered if Woohyun was enjoying seeing him suffer like this. Because he pretty sure everyone will call him stupid for trying to make the impossible to possible.

 

‘You…how can you be so selfish?’ Sometimes Sunggyu really wanted to shout at Woohyun and yelled at him on how a jerk he was acting. ‘If you don’t want to wake up for me, at least wake up for yourself!’   

 

This time Sunggyu really couldn’t hold back his anger. He was losing his patience. Knowing he will be wasting time here, he took his bag and went out, heading to his college for the musical.

 

The moment he arrived at the back stage, Myungsoo was checking on his guitar on the chair. Pissed off, he slumped down on the chair beside Myungsoo and downed the mineral water that he took out from his bag. Myungsoo, who noticed that anger was engulfing his hyung, he asked,

 

‘Love problem?’

 

‘More like hell problem.’ Sunggyu gripped the empty bottle close until he almost smashed it.

 

Myungsoo stood up as he finished checking his guitar and patted on Sunggyu’s shoulder.

 

‘Love is never an easy thing.’

 

Sunggyu raised his face just to see Myungsoo’s face. He frowned as he didn’t understand. Myungsoo shifted his eyes towards Sungyeol, who was talking to Hoya, laughing about something at the corner.

 

‘Sungyeol and me. Believe me, we fought a lot. I even lost counts on how many times I made him cry. We will not be together now, if he hadn’t kept hold on me.’

 

Sunggyu was still blurry about what Myungsoo just said,

 

‘Don’t give up until the very end.’

 

The moment he said that, Myungsoo made his pace towards Sungyeol just to hold Sungyeol’s waist which really shocked Sungjong. Myungsoo just smirked when he placed a kiss on Sungyeol’s lips. Hoya, who was in front of Sungyeol only startled and said,

 

‘Yah! Go get a room.’ He quickly went away, complaining. ‘My innocent eyes~’

 

The moment Myungsoo broke the kiss, Sungyeol was blushing and he asked,

 

‘What’s that for?’

 

‘I miss you.’

 

Sungyeol frowned before saying,

 

‘But we already went on a date just 10 minutes ago.’

 

‘I know.’ Myungsoo smiled before hugging Sungyeol.

 

Sunggyu just smiled looking at the two love birds. He wondered if he could be like that with Woohyun someday. He smiled bitterly as he pondered will Woohyun like Myungsoo always did with Sungyeol or maybe will he give him present on valentine days. He always had a feeling that Woohyun likes him. He didn’t know why he had that strange feeling.

 

‘Five minutes to the stage.’ Sungyeol reminded Sunggyu as he was next for the solo performance.

 

Not wanting to waste time, he dialed a number, hoping that he will still at the hospital.

 

‘Appa? You’re still at work?’

 

‘Yeah, why?’

 

‘Great! Can you please go to Woohyun’s room now?’

 

‘What for? I’m watching Doraemon here.’

 

Sunggyu still wondered how his appa could manage to become a doctor.

 

‘Please appa.’  

 

Sunggyu begged his appa, until he left him no choice but to go to Woohyun’s room.

 

‘I’m in his room now.’

 

‘Sunggyu hyung, your turn.’ Sungyeol shouted at Sunggyu but he made a signal to wait for a while.

 

‘Put the phone on loudspeaker and left it beside Woohyun.’

 

His appa just obeyed that as Sunggyu didn’t hang up the call but bring his phone with him on the stage. He put on the phone in front of him, knowing Woohyun could hear him through out the phone.

 

‘What is he doing?’ Sungyeol was perplexed looking at Sunggyu’s action.

 

‘Fighting for love.’ Myungsoo smiled as he intertwined his fingers with Sungyeol’s.

 

Even if calling your name,

   You also can’t hear,

   Even if I say only you,

   You don’t know.

 

Because I love you,

Please look at me,

Because I only love you,

Please stay beside me.

 

   Although you don’t know,

   I was there waiting for you,

 

Today, million times,

Calling for you again,

Even knowing you can’t hear,

But also calling you.

 

Sunggyu was shedding tears singing that song. On his mind was only Woohyun. He didn’t have a choice but to beg for him. The moment he finished the song, he didn’t hesitate to say,

 

‘Woohyun ah… If you can hear this, answer me. Please…’

 

He bit his lips as tears were flowing on his cheeks. He wiped off his tears, took his phone and quickly gets off the stage. The others didn’t have the courage to say anything to Sunggyu as all of them were shocked to see Sunggyu cried for the first time.

 

‘Appa?’ he asked, hoping his appa did what he told him to do and Woohyun heard that.

 

‘Sunggyu…what did you do?’

 

His appa’s voice was about to trail off for some reason.

 

‘Wae?’

 

‘Woohyun…he’s crying.’