Healing a Healer

Healing a Healer

I was lost. Stuck in the forest with so many directions to turn, all I could do was sit and cry. I didn’t know where to go, or what to do. I was lost. That’s all there was to it.

I sat there and cried for what seemed to be ages and when I finally stopped and looked up again, the sun was beginning to set. This realization caused me to groan and rest my face back in the protecting embrace of my hands. I heard a slight rustle in the trees and my head shot up to see what it was. At first I saw nothing, but then I spotted a flash of white out of the corner of my eye to the left. I turned quickly to see, but was only met with more green and growing darkness. I was cautious from then on. I decided to get up and attempt to walk some more and find my way out, or at least find somewhere more suitable to stay.

 

Dusk was now upon me. I sank down into the soft underbrush. My muscles were so tired and sore from walking for so long. And my stomach… I was so hungry… I sighed and rubbed my stomach. I tried not to think about the fact that I had no food and that I had no way to get food or even know if I would make it out of here before starvation struck.

Just as I had begun to drift off to sleep, I heard the rustle of leaves again. I quickly opened my eyes, immediately surprised by what I saw. Standing before me was the most magnificent creature I had ever seen. It stood tall and majestic, its fur the purest white. Its mane flowed with a grace I couldn’t even imagine one could hold. But most amazing of all was the horn that protruded gallantly from its forehead. It was a stark white, laced with silver and gold. My breath was taken away at the sight: a Unicorn. I had grown up believing that they only existed in myths and fairytales. Never, past five, had I believed that they were real. And especially that I would ever be able to lay eyes upon one.

I watched it in awe as it turned its head slightly; swinging it first to the right, then down slightly to look at me. Its big, golden eyes delved into mine, as if calling me to it. Looking into its eyes I felt that all was right with the world and that I was right where I belonged. It lifted its head slightly, never losing eye contact with me. I rose cautiously with it, never taking my eyes from its hypnotic gaze. Once I was standing, it turned slowly and began walking away gracefully. After a few paces, it stopped and turned its head to look back at me. It saw that I hadn’t moved and beckoned me with a gentle jerk of its head. I took one tentative step after another, somehow managing to keep pace with the unicorn all the while.

 

This went on for quite some time. It was dark now and cold, but the white fur of the unicorn seemed to glow, leading me through the forest. Suddenly it came to a stop. I gently made my way to stand beside it. We were at a small clearing, in which sat a small home. I looked at the unicorn in confusion. What is this? Who lives here? It held my gaze, the warmth in its eyes managing to melt my frozen heart slightly. It turned its head back to the house and began walking towards the door. I followed cautiously, unsure of what should be done. Once at the door, the unicorn tapped it once with its horn, causing it to swing open soundlessly. It stopped to look back at me, the look in its eyes beckoning me closer. I approached tentatively, unsure of the home. But surely the unicorn wouldn’t lead me somewhere unsafe.

Once it saw me approaching, the unicorn went on in, trotting across the hard floor. I came to the doorway and peered in. I was immediately greeted by a warm, crackling fire. I smiled involuntarily, taking another step inside the door. The unicorn snorted slightly, causing me to look at it. It had ventured into another adjoining room, where it stood by a man. The man was smiling and running his hand gently through its long mane, leaving the unicorn to simply close its eyes and nudge into his hand. The man chuckled slightly at its actions, clearly at ease. I watched intently as they interacted, the man humming slightly under his breath. I listened to the tune, memorizing it. It was soft and sweet… magical even, if you believed in such things. But I then remembered that was no horse standing before me, but a unicorn: a mythological creature.

At this point, anything was possible.

 

“Why don’t you take a seat?” I was startled to hear the man’s voice. It was calm and soothing, melodic even. It filled the air around him with a shimmer unable to be described. I stood there in silence, staring at him. That’s when he finally looked up, lifting his head gently to smile at me, seeing me for what I thought was the first time. My breath caught in my throat momentarily as I got my first good look at him. He was flawless. Everything about him seemed magical and beautiful: unlike anything I have ever seen. He smiled at me genuinely, and my heart palpitated irregularly in my chest.

“Please, sit.”

“I-I’m sorry for barging in like this…”

“Nonsense. You must’ve been brought here for a reason. Unicorns don’t approach just anyone, you know.” He looked back at the white creature affectionately, giving it another gentle pat, to which it stomped its hoof, as if agreeing with his statement. This caused the man to look back up at me. He watched me carefully, taking everything in. I shifted around nervously,

“W-What is it?” I asked.

“Well,” He took a step forward, bringing a hand up to cup his chin in thought, “I’m trying to see what it is that’s wrong with you.”

“Why must something be wrong with me?” I managed to squeak out.

“Well,” he crossed his arms over his chest, “Usually I’m brought sick young children, or old women… Not healthy young women like you. And, I am a healer, so why else would you be brought here?” A healer… “So, what is it that you need healing for? What’s happened to you?” What happened to me…? HE happened to me… He came into my life and left me out here, alone and broken hearted. But I couldn’t say that. Surely that’s not what he meant… I wrapped my arms around myself, trying to keep it all in. I looked down at the ground, avoiding looking at him, lest he see through me. “Hmm,” he hummed, “Not giving it up? Fine. I will find out, you know. I’m a healer, after all. And if you think that I’ll never know, because it’s internal; emotional, you’re wrong. My magic works in many strange and powerful ways, but I know best what I feel. And believe me, I feel pain. Right… here.” He placed his hand over his heart, boring deep into my wide eyes. “An ailment of the heart is the easiest to get, easiest to suspect, and hardest to cure. You may survive, just as I have, but you may never be cured.” I stared at him in appall as he said these words. I may never heal…? My heart will never heal? But he’s a healer, can’t he fix this? Why can’t he fix his own broken heart? I decided to venture forward a step, and ask him a question,

“What happened?” I asked. He turned his head to the side, glancing at the unicorn standing by the door,

“Magic.” I waited for him to elaborate. When I said nothing he sighed and plopped down into a chair, “You might as well take a seat if you want to hear the story.” I complied and took a seat, the fire place crackling between our two seats. “I was in love once, just as I assume you have been. Everything was fine. I was fine, she was fine; nothing could go wrong in life. I lived everyday to the fullest, unaware of any evil around me. I could heal, so I came to depend far too greatly on my power, healing anyone or anything at the drop of a hat; no matter the ailment.” He paused, looking up into my eyes, “But those people came.” He scoffed, inspecting a nail. “She, along with many other of my kind were killed: murdered.” He stared back at me, “Did I mention, I was a unicorn?” I was in rapture as he told his story, but his last words broke through like glass shattering,

“A unicorn? What do you mean, ‘was’?” A bitter smirk graced his face,

“Well… I did some not-so-good things after that… I wasn’t so much of a healer anymore, as a destroyer. But I was a bitter young foul then; I had so much life ahead of me, while she had none. It seemed so unfair and the only way my young heart could find to deal was to destroy someone else’s happiness too. It’s only fair, right?” I nodded unconsciously. Right. If I can’t be happy, neither should he. “But that’s not the way things work.” He sighed and looked away, “Since then I’ve been banished to this forsaken body until I can find, and fix, the folly of my ways.”

“When will you know when you have?” He sighed and slumped forward in his chair, his elbow resting on one knee,

“They said I would know. Maybe I won’t be so bitter. Maybe I’ll just magically change back, or maybe it was all a lie and I will never change; can never change.” There was silence as his words sunk in.

“You don’t believe people can change?”

“I told you before that I know best what I feel and I feel bitterness and rage better that any other in these parts. Until it is apparent to me that those murderers are capable of change, then neither shall I.”

That was the moment I decided that I was going to heal the healer.

 

 


This is part One! The last part will hopefully be up tomorrow!