We are Infinite

Birthday Mix-up

I started walking to the waiting shed for the bus to come at the 9:00 pm schedule; it was a very shivery night. The November winds were harsh and my usual triple clothing seemed to be useless because the cold was getting through my skin when in fact I am not the type of person who is affected by the chills of the autumn.

That night was not ordinary night, since it was the eve of my Dongwoo’s birthday. Lazy as ever, I was buying this set of Ferrero Rocher to him instead of me cooking something for him, it was very inconvenient for me since I don’t know how to cook.

Not long for my waiting, the bus came running to the waiting shed and I went inside. There were many people that time that also went in. I almost ran out of seats but luckily, I was able to occupy the seat at the most behind part of the bus.

It started moving and I made myself comfortable despite the fact that people almost tried so hard to squeeze themselves in. I didn’t mind that, after all, the last stop would be also my stop. I have been convincing him that we buy some small house somewhere near the main streets since our apart is like, really, really far from Seoul. But the result was negative. He had so many reasons why we shouldn’t stay in Seoul. “The air is already polluted there,” he told me.

The bus pulled on its brakes and stopped on a station, it was already the third station when I noticed that we were only a few people staying in the bus. I was busily taking care of the box of the chocolates I bought. It was my moment to transfer to another seat, when out of the blue; a wild Dongwoo appeared before my very eyes.

I started to panic as I his body made way to the small isle in between the seats of the bus. He wore his favorite scarf, the one I handmade, a smile creep out of my lips. I didn’t flinch since I knew he shouldn’t be able to see me before I reach our apartment. He sat somewhere near the driver, beside the window which is his favorite place. I was somewhat confused since he had work till 10 in the evening. Before I could even know, an unknown girl sat right beside him.

I saw him smile at her; my heart almost skipped a beat. They started talking to each other, a conversation that seemed very normal to them. They were chitchatting non-stop. I was taken aback there; my sank on the cushiony seat. I felt like I was hyperventilating, with my hands tightly gripped on the box that I was holding.  I don’t what should be my reaction.

I tried to distract myself, like writing something in the glass window with the air I exhaled, looking at the city lights flicking and fiddling the strap of my shoulder bag. The last thing that walked into my mind was to text him, but it was the easiest thing to determine whether they have something happening between the both of them.

 

To: Oppa <3 <3 <3

We are like a pair of slippers, without the other one, the other is also useless.

Oppa! Where are you? I’m on my way home, see yah! <3

 

I pressed the Send button and waited for the reaction of Dongwoo. I knew he will always reply to my messages. He would and he should. I have all my hopes up with that one text, hoping that she is not something in his life or else, or else someone will get bald.

I waited till he got his phone and looked through it. My neck was about to break whenever I tried to peep on his side, I felt like I became a giraffe that time. He received my text, but he ignored it. He freaking ignored my freaking text. He slid his phone inside his pocket and continued to talk with the woman.

By then, my blood was boiling. It boiled to the point that my tears were on the verge of falling. But I tried my best not to let them. I sniffed my heart out till my breathing went normal. They looked very comfortable with each other. I could notice Dongwoo’s eyes twinkle and he looked very amused and laughed every moment. His chuckles that I always hear whenever I tickle him, his giggles whenever I looked silly, those were mine, and only mine.

The bus reached its stop and they went down, and my frown was no less of a grimace. Within the two years of our relationship, this is the first time that we will probably argue on some “girls,” and it may be the last.

--

The discomfort that I was feeling the moment we got off the bus heightened. Suddenly, all the things became unusual and weird in my eyes. It was like something bad will be ahead. All that I could do is to scratch my head and wait for what will happen.

My sister-in-law, Kana, was problematic about their own family, can you imagine my hyung and she had a major fight a day before my birthday. Isn’t that amazing?

Umma knew about it and I, being the good youngest son of our kin, decided to help out them to rehash what is needed to be talked to. Who could ever be in this less miserable state but only I?

Add the fact that my girlfriend Hana texted me an odd, bizarre message. It was something, I knew it was something. Was it about my birthday? Was she going to surprise? What would be her gift for me? I was immediately giddy about it but it would be harsh for Kana if I reply to Hana’s text while she was taking her time ranting before me. I tried to shake some emotional moments off by cracking jokes. Good thing she was the type of person who would like to in some cracks just to ease off the mood.

We walked to their house and I was able to bond with my niece Hyorin. Kana served snacks since she knew that I’ll be eating dinner with Hana. Remembering her made me miss her already.

While playing tag and almost destroying the things inside the house, my niece got tired and wanted to sleep. I carried her to her bed and I rested beside our four-year old Hyorin. I was humming her lullaby when my phone buzzed.

 

Oppa, cheating is a bad thing right? Did you or did you not? >,<

From: Yeobo

 

I was confused. What was she trying to say? How did I what?  This is really something. I got nervous that I did something wrong in the past few days, but, as long as I could remember, I tried my best to avoid temptations.

I was about to reply when I receive another message.

 

Oppa, since when did you start having some friends who were also in the outskirts of Seoul? I thought Hoya lived in Seoul?

From: Yeobo

 

WHAT. IS. THIS.

I started to get frustrated with her questions. She is getting annoying, just like the old times. But it is one of the reasons why I love her. I knew she had a crush on Hoya but how could she ask a question about him when it is the eve of my birthday.

I got up and went out of Hyorin’s room.

My phone beeped again.

 

I think we should break-up. It’s not working anymore. Aren’t I being too nagging? Is that it? I’m sorry, I’m not perfect.

I hope that you’ll do fine in the future. Maybe we could stay as friends, but not this time.

From: Yeobo

 

That’s it. That message really bothered me. Was it a joke? Was it real? Was it just a prank? I don’t know.

I told Kana that I should get going and I didn’t tell her about my problem since I don’t want her to be involved in our matters. I rushed to the bus station and luckily, the bus was still there. I checked my time, 10:32 pm. It was freezing cold.

Not a long time passed and I rushed out of the bus and almost gasped for air as I reached the apartment door.

--

Dongwoo pulled out his keys and nervously tilted the knob in a slow pace. It gave off a very long creak that broke the silence for the moment. He saw a luggage by the living area.

He walked straight to their room and saw Hana

Hana who was surrounded by rubbish-like strips.

Hana holding a pair of scissors.

Hana cutting his clothes and garments.

Hana who was crying.

 

He ran to her, snatched the scissors and tossed it somewhere in the place. He was cooing the girl when she started struggling for herself.

“Leave me alone!” “You are a cheater!” “Go away from me, bastard!” Those were the words that kept repeating in Hana’s mouth. She was flailing her arms. Dongwoo freed her while his face plastered an I-don’t-know-what-you-are-talking-about look.

Hana had a grip of her sanity and stared at him. A glare that hinted sadness. Then it was replaced by a defiant and fierce look. She gathered all the cut-out clothes in her arms and flung it over the nearest window of the house. Dongwoo’s mouth went open by the very astonishing action of his girlfriend.

“YAH! WHY DID YOU THAT?” His voice rose but not too loud to be considered as a shout. Still, he was trying to control himself because of his scatterbrained girl.

“YAH! DON’T SHOUT AT ME!”

“I. AM. NOT. SHOUTING. I AM ASKING WHY DID YOU DO THAT?”

“DID WHAT?” She chuckled, a one heck of a chuckle.

“CUT AND THROW AWAY MY CLOTHES?”

“NOW LOOK WHO’S TALKING… AREN’T YOU THE ONE WHO WAS DOING SOMETHING BEFORE YOU WENT HERE?”

“Wait, WHAT? I lost track.” Dongwoo admitted.

“Leave Dongwoo, just leave.” At last, Hana was able to a bit compose herself.

“Oh. Oh. So you saw us… Kana and I?” Dongwoo gestured.

“Stop, I don’t want to hear anything from you. Leave.” Tiredness can be seen in Hana’s movements, they were towards the door.

“Babe, she was my sister-in-law. Hyung and she had an argument, I was trying to help.” It was evident that she didn’t know that part of the story, she stopped by the time she heard those. He gripped her by her shoulders but she would flinch at his touch. She was able to open the door and ordered him to go out of the house.

“Leave me, please.” Her eyes were low, and Dongwoo couldn’t anything but to let her anger pass.

-

He stayed outside the house, without his jacket since he left it by the door when he entered the house. He saw there, together with the strips and pieces of clothes. He was already shaking by the time he tried knocking on the door and pleaded her to let him in. It was almost his birthday, since it was already quarter to twelve.

He twisted the knob and luckily didn’t constrict. Dongwoo went in as silent as he could till he reached their bedroom, there he saw Hana.

Hana who was surrounded by rubbish-like strips.

Hana not holding a pair of scissors.

Hana not cutting his clothes and garments.

Hana who was crying.

 She was crying with all the trash on her sides. She was crying like a baby and was murmuring something.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry…” She sobbed. She regretted not asking first. She regretted judging them. She regretted cutting Dongwoo’s clothes. She regretted ruining his birthday. She regretted exiling her boyfriend in the middle of the cold night. She regretted being so fragile. She regretted everything that she did. It was all but a misunderstanding.

Dongwoo, of course, felt pity to his girlfriend. His girlfriend who did nothing but to make him happy. His girlfriend who hunts every girl who tries to flirt with him. His girlfriend who was very loud, and frank. His girlfriend who is a failure in cooking. His girlfriend who doesn’t like corny jokes. His girlfriend who hates cheese and doesn’t do any household chores because she is asthmatic.

He hugged Hana oh-so tightly, like he was never letting go. He cooed her, brushing his hand to her slender back. He hummed a short song till her breathing was back to normal. They sat beside each other with hands tightly bonded together.

Hana looked at him, with her slightly mugged-looking eyes. “I’m sorry, for being such a nagger.”

“Babe, it’s okay.”

“It’s not okay, I am such a failure. I am a bad girlfriend to you, I am such a…”

“Hush, stop pulling yourself down, okay? You know how much I hate that right? Hana, I understand that you misunderstood us, Kana and I being—ugh, forget that. I don’t want us to dwell on that okay? I love you because that’s you, your strengths, your weaknesses, even your allergies made me love you. Without those, you can’t be the Hana I knew long time before. I love you because you are who you are.” He started.

“If you’re doubting my love for you, Hana, then I promise you, that every day, I will never ever forget to remind you how you mean to me. I love you for being a nagger. I love you for always overcooking the food. I love the way you take care of my niece. I love how you make me shut up when I am hyper. I love how we look good together.” He chuckled.

“Conceited.” She rolled her eyes but also laughed at him. He pulled out her hand and guided it to the air.

“Look at this, this is you…” Then they drew an inverted “S” sign but it was horizontal. His hand was lightly squeezing hers.

“And this is me…” He drew another “S” from the right, overlapping the imaginary first inverted and horizontal "S" sign. He was smiling.

“And together we are infinite.” They made an infinite sign, and repeated it a few times. Hana was already chuckling.

“Yah! You are so corny!” She slapped his arms but reached to him for a long, sweet kiss. They felt perfect for each other.

“Is that your only gift for me?” He pouted. She stood up and pulled his hand for to stand up, too.

“The Ferrero Rocher is halfway gone.” She slid out her tongue.

“Ferrero Rocher and a kiss only?” He asked again.

“My special gift will be later, after we clean up the bedroom…” She winked and wiggled her eyebrows, making him clap his hands. And hyped. In another manner.