The Only Exception (Kyuna)

Oneshot Series

When I was younger I saw my daddy cry
And curse at the wind.
He broke his own heart and I watched
As he tried to reassemble it.

Yoona was only five when this thing called 'love' began to destroy her family. It was the first time she realised that love was a ugly emotion, the first time she realised that there was no such happiness created out of it. Love was something Yoona didn't want to grow up with.

She watched, young, petite in size but observant none the less, as her father was crying pathetically on his knees. Yoona's mother had finally brought over the divorce papers for him to sign, not even batting an eyelash as he sobbed on the floor and begged for her not to leave. Yoona had never seen anything quite like it, short and watching the world as if everyone was towering over her. Even while her father was on his knees, she still didn't match up to his height. Yoona's eyes, so pure and sweet, glazed over the sight of her pitifully heartbroken father as he ripped up the divorce papers in his hand. His hands were trembling, tears rushing down his face with tiny pieces of paper beginning to ride away on the wind.

Being a child, Yoona wasn't able to fully comprehend the whole situation. Although, she still knew what was going on. In her mind, it was, 'Mama doesn't like daddy anymore, but daddy still likes mama.' They were simple thoughts running through her head as she continued to stare, her mother turning away and walking into a different room of the rundown house. Yoona's father didn't stop crying, as he only continued to beg her mother not to leave. With a stumble, he stood up, pushing Yoona out of the way as he ran, looking for where she was.

It was the first time Yoona had fallen without having one of her parents lovingly help her stand up. Her father's hand was harsh, as he ran, pushing his very own daughter by the shoulder and into the wall. Yoona remembered the fierce yet uncaring grip, the pain of it and the agony of when her back hit the wall. She groaned loudly, a high-pitched shriek coming out before anything else. Yoona's eyes teared due to the pain, but no one came to help her. Where were they? Quietly, after shakily standing up, Yoona wiped her eyes and ran outside to the park. She didn't realise love was so scary.

And my momma swore
That she would never let herself forget.
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love if it does not exist.


About a couple weeks later, Yoona's mother decided to disallow any contact between them. Her mother told her that from then on that 'daddy' was going to take care of her, and that 'mama'  was not able to visit anymore. When Yoona asked why, tearfully, saddened by the words, her mother simply replied that they weren't meant to see each other again. Yoona looked into her mother's eyes for a second, seeing a dim light glow under the hardened ice. She froze at the shocking realisation, her mother was happy to be leaving her. She didn't want Yoona, she didn't want to be part of her life anymore. This only made Yoona cry even more.

She watched her mother silently walk away, a couple words being muttered from her red lips. 'I won't forget'. And by that, Yoona was sure enough, her mother meant that she wouldn't forget never to come back. Yoona wasn't a fool, she knew better than to believe the usual lies that adults told their children. Yoona was only a young child, but since the incident with her father, the weeks of neglect, pain and broken promises from both her parents, Yoona quickly realised that life wasn't going to be the same. That day, Yoona felt as if her life really did crumble around her. 

Her older sister, who was a couple years older than Yoona herself, officially took the role of 'mother' after the absence of their actual parent. It was her older sister's job to help Yoona prepare for school, organising her clothes and her lunch. She helped Yoona with her homework, and even learned how to prepare meals for the three of them to eat. Her, Yoona, and their father. Of course, the system only lasted for 8 months before Yoona's sister decided to move away and live with their relatives. She said it was better for the education, and that she'd call when she arrived. It was strange though how Yoona nor her father ever received that call.

Yoona loved her sister, loved her father, and loved her mother. But now, Yoona's mother had officially left, her sister hadn't contacted her, and her father hadn't spoken to her since the incident with her mother. She sighed, squatting down in the corner of the lounge room as glass bottles began to knock against each other. Yoona's father was drinking again, and he simply didn't care about life anymore. He didn't care about her either, Yoona was sure that her father had forgotten her existence completely.

By the time Yoona turned seven, she was involved in many violent situations with her father, drunken and uncaring towards her presence. She had been beaten, she had been screamed and shouted at, and she had been locked out of the house. Needless to say, Yoona quickly grew up and out of her childhood. She had promised herself, after the very first beating she received from her father, that she would never speak of that thing called 'love' if it didn't exist. And Yoona was pretty much certain that it didn't.

But darling,
You are the only exception.
You are the only exception.
You are the only exception.
You are the only exception.


Yoona was twelve when she met a strange boy in the park, whose skin was as pale as the snow and whose eyes were bright like the midnight stars. His hair was jet black, just like hers, face a little chubby, and lips curved into a slight smile. Why was he able to do that so easily? Every time Yoona tried to smile, her lips felt numb, so she never did. Or at least, not anymore. Yoona never recalled ever seeing this boy, not once. But perhaps that was because Yoona stopped looking around at other people, and focused on herself. She had to check she wasn't crying.

The boy with bright eyes walked up to her from the swings and to the bench, giving a curious look. Wondrous, like a new born puppy who has yet to discover the world. He had discovered her. With a grin, one more gentle than what Yoona had ever been given, he asked happily, "Want to play with me?"

Why would someone ask her that? Yoona froze, nobody had ever asked her such a question, not since she was five. Yoona gave a questioning look, but was too shy to look up so she quickly looked down. There was a light scar on the side of her cheek from an incident she had with her father's bottle of alcohol, and Yoona didn't want anyone to see it. Quietly, she whispered, "...No..."

The boy scowled with a light pout, a disapproving expression on his face. Yoona peeked a look from under her fringe, seeing him stare directly at her. Usually, with the answer of 'no', people would have walked away with an offended expression. But this boy, rather, seemed persistent and continued to smile. He then asked, "Do you want to have one of my snacks?"

With the word 'snacks', Yoona felt her stomach squirm. She was hungry, and it had been a while since she had eaten a proper meal. It had been a while since Yoona had a meal at all. She continued to look down, attempting to ignore the numbing pain in she stomach before shaking her head. In another weak voice, she mumbled, "...No..."

"Can I sit with you then?" The boy then asked, losing his patience somewhat. He seemed to be very persistent, and wasn't willing to give up yet. Yoona thought for a little, wondering what were the benefits of allowing him to sit with her. Yoona knew all that was going to happen: She going to make a friend, she was going to trust him, she was going to grow attached, and then he would leave her alone. Yoona had that situation with her father. She trusted him so much, Yoona was even willing to say she was more attached to her father than her mother, but then he left. They both did. Of course, for Yoona, her father didn't leave physically, but mentally. Yoona's father had become distance and thrown himself into alcohol. She just watched.

"...Yes..." Yoona whispered quietly, a bright smile finally appearing on the boy's lips. He grinned, taking a seat next to her ,turning to face Yoona who avoided any possible eye contact. The boy quickly frowned once again.

"Come on, speak up! Why are you so shy?" The boy asked, clearly not shy about the situation. Yoona knew he wanted an answer, and almost felt guilty for taking up so much of his time. It's just that no one had ever been so persistent with trying to become familiar with her. Continuing to look down, Yoona shook her head.

The whole situation was strange, and Yoona honestly didn't like it. She didn't like talking to that strange boy, she didn't like being so close to another person, and she didn't feel comfortable with his eyes staring at her. Yoona murmured softly, "...I'm not comfortable..."

The boy simply gave a twisted expression, still though satisfied as Yoona had finally said more than one word. He asked boyishly, "With what?"

Yoona couldn't help but wonder why he was so curious, and why he kept on speaking to her even though she was clearly being rude to him. She didn't look at him, she didn't use any formalities, and she didn't even try to speak. Yoona wondered what the adults would have thought about her, talking in such a way to someone who was clearly older. Yoona sighed, it didn't matter to her anymore. Adults weren't that special, and didn't really deserve respect. Through the high laughs of the other children, Yoona replied, "...People..."

"Can I be your friend?" The boy suddenly asked, causing Yoona to feel so shocked that she had to look up at him. She had just stated that she was uncomfortable with people, and now he was asking to be her friend. Yoona stared into his eyes for the first time, feeling warm on the inside all of a sudden. His eyes towards her was so warm, as was his smile, and the gentle glow around him which made Yoona feel safe. Perhaps this person was alright, perhaps he was just a little different then the others.

"...Yes.." Yoona said, a little louder, but still feeling shy. On the inside, Yoona still felt warm. It was completely strange, or maybe it was ordinary, Yoona wouldn't have known. She hardly ever had that feeling, but she wasn't really a 'normal' child anyway. 

The boy continued to grin, and Yoona almost had the courage to smile back. She looked up once more, the corner of her lips twitching upwards, it didn't feel unpleasant. He continued, "That's more like it. I'm Cho Kyuhyun, what's your name?"

Maybe I know somewhere deep in my soul
That love never lasts.
And we've got to find other ways to make it alone.
Or keep a straight face.


On Yoona's sixteenth birthday, Kyuhyun kissed her. It was so sudden, without too much reason either. Or that's what she thought. While Yoona was celebrating her birthday with Kyuhyun's family, his mother deciding to buy her an extra large cake for the special day since she insisted that turning sixteen was an event to be remembered, Kyuhyun kissed her when both his parents had  left the room. There were three presents on the table, one from Kyuhyun and each of his parents. Yoona didn't celebrate with her own family, she doubted that they even remembered the date of her birthday. May 30th.

Since meeting him, Kyuhyun, that thirteen year old boy who had approached her without reason and asked to be her friend, Yoona had never been so happy. He was always with her, just the two of them. Kyuhyun would spend time with Yoona whenever he could, despite other people asking why he chose to hang around that 'quiet girl'. Nobody really knew Yoona's name, nobody bothered finding it out so that's what they referred to her as. The quiet girl. Kyuhyun was probably the only person who really called Yoona by her name. 

As time passed, Yoona's dependence on Kyuhyun increased. Tears, hardships, laughs and smiles, Kyuhyun knew it all. Kyuhyun was the one to help her through everything, and Yoona realised soon enough, for no particular reason except for his strange fondness for her. Yoona remembered when she first let Kyuhyun go to her house, when she was 14. It was rundown, the front door couldn't even close properly. Yoona didn't have a room, and slept in one of the long cupboards somewhere in the kitchen, it was the only place she was able to sleep safely. Or at least, it was when Yoona's father was there. He could never find her when Yoona hid in the cupboard, it was only one safe place in the house.

Yoona felt so uneasy on the inside, so pathetic and ashamed of where she lived. The fridge didn't even have any food in it, only bottles of alcohol. Kyuhyun knew Yoona's living circumstance, and often brought her food or invited her to his home. It was lucky that both his parents had become so fond of her. Yoona turned to Kyuhyun shyly, wondering his reaction. He was probably going to mock her, right? He was probably going to see why she was so shy and why other people didn't hang out with her. He was- Kyuhyun only grinned at her and walked into the other room, signalling her to follow. It was only then that Yoona realised Kyuhyun was someone who she could completely trust.

After returning to the present, in a warm, sweet state of having Kyuhyun's lips on hers, Yoona pushed him away. Of course, not out of disgust, but rather out of shock. She loved him, and Kyuhyun knew that. And Yoona also knew Kyuhyun returned her affections, but they had never acted on it. Neither were ready for that thing called 'love' yet, or at least, Yoona wasn't. She was still scared of it, but Kyuhyun had managed to give her courage.

"Why'd you kiss me?" Yoona asked, shocked, but feeling warm on the inside. She wasn't disgusted, just shy. The sudden action, her first kiss, taken in a flash. It was so strange, and Yoona was wondering why there was no anger. She looked up, freezing instantly. She could tell from the look in Kyuhyun's eye, something was going on. That kiss was a message of two things, but only after thinking about it did Yoona realise. 'I love you, I'm sorry'. What was going on? Yoona tensed as Kyuhyun looked away.

"I'm leaving, I'm moving to Japan." Kyuhyun spoke, avoiding Yoona's eyes, the tension suddenly rising around them. With those words, short and full of sorrow, sunk slowly into the pair like a dagger.

"W-What??" Yoona stuttered, shocked,quickly taking a step closer to Kyuhyun, his clothing. She looked up at him, feeling so hurt on the inside. Shocked, scared, Yoona felt tears slowly well up in her eyes.

"In a week, I'm moving to Japan with my family. They want a 'better' education for me, plus, my father has some business there. Not to mention that Mother loves it so much." Kyuhyun continued on, clearly struggling to go on. He didn't dare to look at Yoona, the way she stared at him caused Kyuhyun to feel so pathetic on the inside.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner??" Yoona asked, hating the fact that Kyuhyun wasn't even watching her. Why were the plans so sudden, why hadn't she been informed before? Yoona's knees went weak, her entire body trembling. She looked down, trying to hide her slowly flowing tears. Kyuhyun bit his lower lip, holding back his own sorrow, arms wrapping around Yoona and holding her tightly as she cried.

"You always smiled at me, I couldn't bear to see it fade. It took me so long, so much effort to finally make you smile at me. You never even looked at me before. I was so happy when you did though, I never wanted to see you cry. I still don't." Kyuhyun whispered, Yoona only cried more. She couldn't imagine a life without Kyuhyun, there was no way she'd survive.

And I've always lived like this
Keeping a comfortable distance.
And up until now I have sworn to myself
That I'm content with loneliness.


Kyuhyun and his family moved away to another country a couple days later, his parents wanting to pursue a more sophisticated education system for their precious son. Yoona heard that his father even opened up another education center there, his mother owning a cafe. The three of them figured it would be better in Japan, but it was clear that Kyuhyun objected, though wasn't able to convince his parents. They had given Yoona an address, to send letters whenever she wanted. Yoona didn't have a phone to contact them with, and she insisted that Kyuhyun and his parents shouldn't have been responsible for buying her one. They had offered many times.

For the first two weeks after their departure, Yoona didn't write anything. She wasn't sure what to write, since her life was either extremely ordinary or terribly uninteresting. Actually, Yoona thought every so often, it was worse than that. Her father had finally left home, leaving her alone, meeting a new woman who was rich enough to buy him bottles of alcohol every single day. Yoona wasn't sure of why someone would be willing to waste so much money on that man, he was nothing more than a intoxicated bastard. But then again, Yoona had known since she was 9, the way adults would 'sin' to pleasure themselves. Her father had brought home enough women for Yoona to realise, perhaps she was only using him for entertainment. 

Yoona felt cold on the inside, she hadn't had a conversation with her father since she was 6, most of the time he acted as if she didn't exist. And honestly, Yoona suspected that in his eyes, she didn't. She clearly remembered when she arrived home from school, something Yoona would have dropped out of long ago if it weren't for Kyuhyun's proud smile in her head, of when something good happened. Yoona could recall her father standing there, not even looking at her as he spoke the words, 'I'm leaving, you can do what you want here'. Everybody was leaving.

Finally, she received a letter from Kyuhyun after a month had passed. Yoona remembered how her body shook when holding the envelope in her hand, as if it were the light at the end of the tunnel. That letter was the only thing Yoona treasured as she sat inside her house, all alone.

Dear Yoona,
I miss you. I'm so bored here, I want to see you so badly. I have some friends here, and I often tell them about you. That weird girl who I miss a lot. Sometimes I have trouble communicating, but it's interesting to see the weird translations. How are you? Are you well? How's your job, buying and eating proper meals? You can't survive without food, so you better not be skipping any meals. Have you made any friends? I want to know. Mother and father want to know, they miss you as well. They keep telling me that I should have bought you a phone, and I kind of agree. Mother wants us to visit, and she says we will. She's not sure when though. Tell me, I want to know. 
Miss you: Kyuhyun.


Yoona couldn't reply to the letter, she didn't know why she felt so intimidated. Her eyes teared up reading the words, drops slowly falling onto the paper. She missed Kyuhyun so much, but she wasn't able to write back. She was too scared, Yoona couldn't. She believed that slowly, Kyuhyun would end up forgetting her. Yoona believed that Kyuhyun would simply stop contacting her for no reason, and she would be stuck waiting for him everyday. Yoona didn't want to be stuck holding onto something that wasn't even there.

Because none of it was ever worth the risk.

Times passed and Yoona was now about to graduate. And she received the same letter every week since the first time she received it. Never did Yoona fail to have it sent to her door, always from Kyuhyun. And in every letter, the very same thing was written. It was so bitterly uninteresting that Yoona laughed for no reason sometimes, she never realised how empty her life was. Yoona had become so used to Kyuhyun, so dependent on his smile and so attached to his warmth, Despite the letters having the same content in them, each word exactly the same as the last, they were the only things that gave yoona hope.

Without Kyuhyun, Yoona's life seemed to crash down upon her. Mainly at school. Though Yoona didn't really talk to anyone, she knew that more rumours were spreading. Kyuhyun was the only person to defend her, so without him, lies and misinterpretations had spread throughout the area like wildfire. Yoona could even feel the burns and the heat on her skin. The faded scars on her body seemed to become more vivid as the days passed. Sometimes Yoona heard people talking about her when she was in the halls, and one day decided that they weren't important. They weren't part of her life, so she really didn't care what they were saying.

Despite the letters, the one thing she looked forward to  in her life, Yoona felt so cold. Why didn't the letter ever change? Why was the same thing written over and over again? Yoona didn't know why, but it made her afraid, she felt as if she had already faded away from Kyuhyun's eyes. Perhaps he was just feeling sorry for her, and only bothered to write because of his parents. Kyuhyun was probably reluctant to contact her. Through these thoughts, Yoona never wrote back despite how many times she received the same letter.

Most of the time, Yoona looked at the sky for planes, praying for the one that would bring Kyuhyun back to her.

Well you are the only exception.
You are the only exception.
You are the only exception.
You are the only exception.


Three years passed since she graduated, and Yoona was used to being alone. Every week, she would still receive the same letter from Kyuhyun, and she would never reply just the same. Still in handwriting, never printed from the computer, Yoona would read the letter before placing on her desk along with the others. She wondered why Kyuhyun never typed it out, rather than sending her the same words over and over again. Sometimes she wondered whether it was someone else writing the letters, but when observing the handwriting, Yoona could tell it was Kyuhyun's.

Yoona closed her eyes as she sat on a bench in the park, the very bench Kyuhyun had first spoken to her. The sky was unusually blue, and Yoona didn't really like it. Whenever the Sun shone its beams onto the world, Yoona never really felt happy. Granted, she never really hated the Sun either. It was simply there and was vital for the survival for the human race, but Yoona never paid attention to it. Like oxygen perhaps, important but not really thought about. Yoona sighed.

She gripped her hands together, biting her lower lip. It was Saturday, and Yoona hadn't received a letter. There was no postage on Sunday, so she didn't have to worry about it coming the next day, so that meant no letter was going to come this week at all. Yoona usually received a letter on Friday, and sometimes on Saturday. Though she had moved away from her old house and into a new apartment, Yoona would often go there to pick up a letter. The person who lived at her old house had rebuilt it, as the area of land was quite large. It was a woman, who went by the name of 'Yuri'. She was nice, and always smiled at her when she went to pick up the letters. Yoona found it strange though, as Yuri never opened  the letters, nor did she ask of  the content. Yoona felt as if she had found a friend, because in some way, after all the years, she had slowly learned to trust that woman.

"Kyuhyun..." Yoona mumbled quietly, it was strange how a simple letter meant so much to her. She had no one except for him and his family, and Yuri to an extent. She had grown alone, losing so much and hardly ever gaining anything. Though, to comfort her, a voice called out."

"Yes?", A low voice called, like velvet, smooth and soothing, Yoona widened her eyes.  She looked up instantly, to see a familiar figure. Tall, pale, jet black hair, bright eyes and a letter in his hand. Kyuhyun. Yoona's eyes widened as she fell silent, taken aback as she felt her muscles and nerves suddenly go crazy. Tears welled up without any thoughts, only barely being able to see Kyuhyun open the letter in his hands. Yoona heard the rustle, the enveloped roughly being opened as the paper inside was taken out. Kyuhyun then started reading, "Dear Yoona, I miss you. I'm so bored here, I want to see you so badly. I have some friends here, and I often tell them about you. That weird girl who I miss a lot. Sometimes I have trouble communicating, but it's interesting to see the weird translations. How are you? Are you well? How's your job, buying and eating proper meals? You can't survive without food, so you better not be skipping any meals. Have you made any friends? I want to know. Mother and father want to know, they miss you as well. They keep telling me that I should have bought you a phone, and I kind of agree. Mother wants us to visit, and she says we will. She's not sure when though. Tell me, I want to know. Miss you, Kyuhyun."

As Kyuhyun spoke, Yoona wiped away her tears, seeing the hint of despair in Kyuhyun's eyes. He never stopped looking at her as he read, or rather, recited the words. Yoona shivered, what was happening? Why was he reading that letter to her? Before anything, before jumping into Kyuhyun's arms and crying like a child, Yoona had to know, "...Why did you send me the same thing over and over again?"

To that, Kyuhyun simply gave her a simple, depressing look accompanied by a silent voice that whispered through the tweeting birds, "You never replied."

Yoona's eyes widened, becoming silent through it. Kyuhyun's eyes were so pure, so honest that it causes her to feel so tormented on the inside. The reason Kyuhyun never wrote anything different was because she never replied. Yoona never realised that, and now she had found out, she wanted to break down in tears. Kyuhyun scowled at the sight of Yoona's teary eyes, taking a couple steps closer. "How was I supposed to write something else, when you never even answered the first letter I sent you? If I had changed the words and asked why you weren't replying, nothing would have changed. You still weren't going to write to me, and there was no way that simple words were going to convince you. That's why I wrote the same thing every week, so I could see if you would ever write back. It's because I knew that if I altered any part of it, you still weren't going to write back. I had to wait until you answered the very first one."

"I..." Yoona wasn't sure of what to say, her voice becoming quiet and stuck in . Kyuhyun continued with his steps, until he was standing directly in front of her. Yoona could hear him breathing.

"Why didn't you ever send me anything?" Kyuhyun asked softly, sadly, wanting to know. Yoona never had a person stand so close to her. She stared at the ground, so close to Kyuhyun, she could feel his gaze on her. 

"..." Yoona didn't reply, she wasn't able to. Despite what was stuck in , she didn't want to display the fact that she was so pathetic and inecure about the relationship she shared with Kyuhyun. Yoona didn't want to admit she was scared of becoming a fool that only waited for Kyuhyun because she thought he would forget her. Yoona didn't want to tell Kyuhyun that she had been to scared to ever reply.

Kyuhyun sighed through the silence, barely seeing Yoona's quivering lip as he spoke, "I missed you."

And with those words, Yoona couldn't take it anymore. She stood up, jumped into Kyuhyun's arms and wailed like a child. She didn't care about how she looked anymore, she didn't care about being 'strong'. Yoona just wanted to have Kyuhyun hold her, something he didn't hesitate to do, and let out all those inner emotions she had kept locked inside. 

Yoona just wanted to cry in Kyuhyun's arms.

He held her tightly, just like before. The feeling didn't change. It had been so long since Yoona had been so close to another human being, she couldn't help but feel awkward. Hugging, embracing, Yoona felt like a stranger to the display of affection. She bit her lower lip, it didn't feel unpleasant, but it didn't feel normal. A silent sigh escaped Yoona's lips, she was like a child again. She was still crying like a little girl, so dependent on Kyuhyun that she felt weak. Slowly, Yoona felt her heart tense.

"Can you stay with me?" Yoona muttered, her tears finally beginning to dry. Her body was still shaking softly, knees still weak, not yet being able to let go of Kyuhyun. She peeked up at Kyuhyun, seeing a somewhat humourless smile, sighing with a light nod.

"I have nowhere else to go." Kyuhyun replied with a light smirk, causing Yoona to widen her eyes as she looked up in confusion. What was Kyuhyun talking about? What was he implying? Yoona could only stare.

"Why-" Yoona wasn't able to finish her sentence as Kyuhyun cut her off.

He laughed quietly to himself, giving a smile, but just a little hesitance was sensed. Yoona felt herself tense once again. Kyuhyun ruffled her hair softly to calm her down before saying, "I didn't tell my parents, they think I'm on a camping trip with some of my friends. I'll tell them I'm in South Korea later."

Yoona fell quiet, looking downward, unsure of what it meant. Was Kyuhyun's residence only temporary? Or was it permanent? Yoona hated the anxious feeling on the inside of her chest, despite the fact that she was pretty much used to it. Yoona looked down and trailed off, "So..."

Kyuhyun kept the smile on his lips, gently Yoona's hair as he held her tightly in his arms. Silently he spoke, "I'm not going back, and I'm sure they won't mind. I came back for you after all." Yoona blushed a little at the words, but smiled sweetly after. She had almost forgotten how nice Kyuhyun's parents were, and just how fond of her they were.

"So, where should we go?" Yoona asked, seeing Kyuhyun rub his eyes which she had now noticed to be slightly red. Kyuhyun looked at Yoona, letting go of her body but still holding on her hand. He stared into Yoona's eyes before looking away.

"To your place, to rest? I'm completely jet lagged." Kyuhyun muttered, rubbing his eyes softly. Yoona didn't think much of those words, nodding at the simple request.

"Sure, I moved into an apartment near here." Yoona replied, pointing to one of the apartment blocks just on the other side on the street.  hidden slightly by the trees in the park. Kyuhuyn was only able to give a confused expression to those words.

He asked quietly, "Then how did you receive my letters?"

Yoona felt herself flush slightly at the question, only being able to look down. Kyuhyun gave a curious hum, unsure of why Yoona had reacted in such a way. With an embarrassed expression, she turned and stared at the entrance of the park, which also happened to be the exist. She mumbled softly, "I went to pick them up every week."

Kyuhyun's eyes widened at the words, a smile slowly crawling onto his lips as he pulled Yoona back into a tight embrace. How sweet is was.

I've got a tight grip on reality,
But I can't let go of what's in front of me here.
I know you're leaving in the morning when you wake up.
Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream.
Oh-oh-oh-ohhh.

Yoona never felt so loved in her life. 

Seeing each other after so many years, how each other had matured, the attraction was undeniable. Yoona felt so blurred while thinking of the occurrence at hand, so unaware of her own actions that she was completely defenseless against Kyuhyun's touches. Honestly, Yoona wasn't actually sure how they even ended up in such a situation, she couldn't even tell what room they were in. All Yoona remembered was Kyuhyun kissing her, deeply, passionately, and everything going insane. Arms tightly wrapped around her waist, her own going around Kyuhyun's neck, Yoona had never been in such a situation.

The heat was quickly felt, the loud sounds of pulsing echoed through their ears. Kyuhyun's hands on her body, softly did they roam her body, Yoona was unable to understand why she didn't mind. She had never been so intimate with anyone, never so open to be taken advantage of, Yoona was scared of her own behaviour. What was happening? Yoona closed her eyes as Kyuhyun continued to kiss her, sweetly, lips being pressed together with want. They probably weren't the best kisses Yoona could have given, but feeling Kyuhyun's smile on her lips told her he really didn't mind.

Yoona loved the fact that Kyuhyun had accepted her so warmly, the fact he didn't mind who she was; a socially awkward girl who had grown so many issues when it came to trusting people.

The kisses continued, right until Kyuhyun began to nibble at her neck. Yoona's heart pounded uncontrollably, body tensing, the nervousness sinking in. She was scared. of course, Kyuhyun noticed right away and stopped. He wasn't going to take in any further, he could never hurt Yoona, nor the trust she had for him. He loved her too much. Kyuhyun stared down at her, softly staring, seeing the hesitance in her eyes. Yoona wasn't ready, she wasn't.

She felt tense once again, how much did Kyuhyun want? How much did he need? Yoona shook, was Kyuhyun going to hate her because she couldn't go any further? Was Kyuhyun going to leave her for that? Yoona shook softly, only to have Kyuhyun hold her lovingly once again. A gentle kiss on her forehead was placed, Kyuhyun whispering the sweet words, "There's no need to rush."

You are the only exception. 
You are the only exception. 
You are the only exception. 
You are the only exception. 


Yoona had often seen it, when males and females are together through the night but one of them leaves in the morning without the other's knowledge. Despite the fact that she trusted Kyuhyun with her life, she was still scared. In the morning, Yoona couldn't help but question whether Kyuhyun was still going to be there or not. She couldn't help but question whether she was going to left alone. And although Yoona knew it wasn't morning, and rather, was probably about dinner time, she referred to the time as 'morning', because it was a common time in which people left each other. Both her parents had left her during the morning. Because of these thoughts, Yoona felt shocked after waking up.  To her surprise, Kyuhyun was still there. He was still sleeping, arms tight around Yoona's slender body as the heat began to feel as if it were too much. 

She was wide-eyed, Yoona had never been put in such a situation. Of course, in the past, she and Kyuhyun had often slept in the same bed, as Yoona had a tendency to fall asleep in his room and he would join her without too much reason. But it had been so long, so many years since Yoona and Kyuhyun had actually been in that circumstance, she simply felt awkward with it all. She turned her body slightly, facing him, to see his peaceful expression. Yoona closed her eyes, fighting away the blush she never used to have in the past, cuddling closer to Kyuhyun's body. The warmth was so nostalgic, Yoona whimpered softly  as memories began to appear in her head. Yoona didn't realise Kyuhyun was awake.

"What's with that sound?" Kyuhyun asked softly, his voice not a little bit strained, making Yoona realise that Kyuhyun had actually been awake for a while. His eyes opened without any struggle, causing a blush to appear on Yoona's cheeks Back when they were younger, she was easily able to tell whether Kyuhyun was sleeping or not. Yoona used to be able to realise that Kyuhyun was awake but was pretending to be asleep for whatever reason, probably just because he didn't want to do anything.

Yoona didn't look at Kyuhyun for too long, staring down as she hid her face in his chest. She felt embarrassed for doubting Kyuhyun, for thinking that he was only going to betray her. Yoona bit her lower lip and spoke hesitantly, "I thought you were going to leave before I woke up."

To those words, Kyuhyun gave a twisted expression. He couldn't understand Yoona's train of thought, but he wasn't going to question it too much. Yoona had gone through so much, so obviously Kyuhyun couldn't perceive it, he hadn't gone through what she had. Kyuhyun simply held Yoona tightly, asking, "Why would I do that?"

"I've seen it happen often to other people." Yoona replied without too much, only causing Kyuhyun to laugh quietly in a somewhat sorrowful way. He wanted Yoona to give him more faith.

A simply sigh escaped Kyuhyun's lips as he murmured quietly, "Well I'm not them."

Yoona nodded, she trusted those words dearly. Though, she still couldn't understand why Kyuhyun hadn't left the bed. Yoona expected that Kyuhyun would have been hungry and gone to eat some food, with his large appetite and all. Yoona herself was feeling rather hungry, but preferred staying with Kyuhyun rather than leaving for a bite to eat. She questioned, "Why are you still here? Why haven't you left?"

Kyuhyun shrugged lightly, thinking about why he honestly hadn't left the bed despite having woken up 15 minutes prior. Perhaps he just missed Yoona too much, spending drunk nights out with friends only worked for loneliness to a certain extent. Kyuhyun sighed, muttering, "Because I like it here, being with you. I always have, that's why I spent so much time with that quiet girl by myself."

"..." Yoona went silent, pouting slightly. She resented that name, it made her feel unknown. She was more than just a quiet girl, but no one tried to ever speak to her. Yoona also disliked the fact she was described as 'quiet', since it was rather uncharacteristic. Many people were quiet, why was she special for it? Yoona went silent, only to have Kyuhyun hold her tightly, apologetically.

"I'm sorry." He uttered simply, and it was more than enough for Yoona to forget about the whole situation and smile.

You are the only exception. 
You are the only exception. 
You are the only exception. 
You are the only exception. 


Since Kyuhyun had basically nowhere to stay, coming back to Korea from Japan without too much thought, it was decided that he would be staying at Yoona's home. And by that, Kyuhyun had basically decided it on his own, as he had also ordered for his luggage to be taken to her apartment a couple hours after waking up. All Yoona could do was stare as Kyuhyun walked into her home with his items, a little annoyed that he had decided it on his own. But honestly though, Yoona didn't mind that Kyuhyun, no matter whatever period of time, was going to stay with her. And somehow, Yoona had some sort of feeling that Kyuhyun wasn't even thinking of moving out. Yoona really couldn't say she was disappointed about that.

"Where are you going to put your things?" Yoona asked simply as she sat on the couch, watching Kyuhyun take his luggage and place it by the wall. He gave a small smile, shrugging.

"I have no idea." Kyuhyun replied, honestly not knowing. He assumed Yoona was talking about the items inside his luggage, opposed to the bags themselves. When looking around the home before, Kyuhyun noticed that Yoona actually did have a lot of free space which could have been used. There was a spare room, blank walls and hardly any sort of ornament  decorating apartment.

Kyuhyun let his thoughts wonder for a bit, opening one of his bags. Inside were simple items such as clothes, toiletries, and what seemed to be a couple souvenirs. Yoona let a light smile cross her lips, "Unpacking already?"

"Well, yeah, I hope you don't mind that I'm staying out here." Kyuhyun spoke, pretty certain that Yoona didn't mind his presence. Yoona nodded simply as she her hair back.

"When are you leaving?" Yoona asked suddenly, causing a little tension to grow. By that, Yoona was implying when was Kyuhyun going to move out, either buying a new apartment or perhaps even a house. To that, Kyuhyun paused, shrugging before he turned back to Yoona and gave a slight smile, just the corner of his lips going up.

"I don't actually plan to, this apartment's big enough for two of us." Kyuhyun said, Yoona froze slightly. She liked the idea of being able to be with Kyuhyun day in and day out, but a part of her was hesitant. There was a part of her which said it was a bad idea, and to kick Kyuhyun out while she had the chance. Yoona sat, waiting, thinking, wondering what was better. To allow someone in, or risk being hurt again? Yoona tried to calm her mind, it shouldn't have been like this, Kyuhyun never let her down. She stared at him as he turned back, saying the words, "Do you find it awkward? Or do you find it uncomfortable?"

Yoona stared up to the corner of her eye before replying, not looking Kyuhyun in the eye, "Both."

She felt bad for some reason, the guilt of not feeling completely free with someone who was so precious to you. Yoona sighed, only to have Kyuhyun come towards her, a little, reassuring and encouraging smile on his lips. He whispered to her, planting a kiss on her cheek, "Too bad, I'm not going anywhere. Remember that I love you, alright? You'll get used to it."

Yoona smiled shyly at the act, looking down at the floor before giving Kyuhyun a little grin. There was a weird feeling in her stomach, but it didn't feel that unpleasant. Kyuhyun laughed softly, her hair back behind her ears. Quietly, Yoona whispered, "Hope so."

And I'm on my way to believing.
Oh, and I'm on my way to believing.


It had been two years since that incident, and Yoona now had a diamond ring on her left hand. And unlike before, the apartment was decorated prettily with photos on the walls and other little trinkets. She was in the kitchen, cooking, something that she learned to do after realising how much take-away food cost. Kyuhyun was in the living room, sitting on the couch and playing Starcraft'. After all these years, Kyuhyun's love of the game hadn't changed. A normal person may have felt a little used, but not Yoona. She enjoyed cooking, and didn't mind it that Kyuhyun was only playing games. After all, she had chased him out multiple times after trying to help. Let's just say that Kyuhyun wasn't the best at cooking. He was much safer away from the kitchen.

"Kyuhyun, dinner's ready!" Yoona called as she carefully placed the night's dinner on the table, Kyuhyun pulled the earphones out of his ears and turned around. He smiled lightly, simply watching his beautiful lover. He stood, taking walking over to take a seat at the table which didn't really fit the room, but it was better to eat there than in front of the television or the counter.

"Sit down at eat." Kyuhyun spoke, seeing Yoona still walking around the kitchen for whatever reason. She shook her head, still having many things to do. Kyuhyun honestly disliked how Yoona had become so detailed, not that it was a bad thing, but her perfectionist ways meant that he wasn't able to really spend that much time with her. Or, more like Yoona wouldn't pay attention to him.

Yoona saw that the soup was still early, not yet boiling. She hated burning food, as she was patiently waiting to eat it. Yoona protested at Kyuhyun's invitation, saying, "Not yet, I still have to-". She was cut off by Kyuhyun.

"If you're not going to eat for yourself, eat for our child." Kyuhyun retorted, instantly making Yoona freeze. 7 months pregnant and going, she had felt little kicks every now and then from the child inside her. Yoona looked at the floor, before staring back at Kyuhyun and smiling.

"Alright, I guess she's hungry." Yoona muttered, forgetting about the soup, sitting down beside Kyuhyun who was waiting for her presence. Kyuhyun smiled before turning his head forward at the food. 

As Yoona sat down, Kyuhyun suddenly spoke, "Hey, let's move out."

To the words which seemed to be taken out of the air, Yoona widened her eyes and gave a confused expression. She couldn't understand it, asking, "Hm? Move out? Why?"

"I think this apartment's going to be pretty small for three. There won't be anywhere our daughter to play, anywhere for her to call her own. She needs her own room." Kyuhyun replied. He referred to their daughter as 'her', without a name, due to the fact that neither had really decided on what to call their child.

"But why so suddenly? If you were going to bring it up, couldn't you have done it after I turned 7 months pregnant?" Yoona asked, a little annoyed that Kyuhyun had brought up the topic so late. The elder only laughed.

"Don't worry, I already bought the house. It's perfect, you'll love it." Kyuhyun continued on, causing Yoona to almost choke on her own saliva. How could Kyuhyun have bought a house without telling her anything? Yoona hated how Kyuhyun acted like that, doing things and not telling her until the last minute. Yoona scolded.

"What?? Why?? Where is it??" Yoona questioned, wanting to know why he had bought the house, where it was and what it looked like. Kyuhyun only ruffled her hair before speaking.

"Your other home." Kyuhyun muttered, causing Yoona to freeze slightly. By 'other home', Yoona became aware that he meant the house she had once resided in. Yoona knew, the house was eventually knocked down, and on the land, a new home was built. From what she knew, Yuri was still living there, or that's what she thought. Yoona didn't contact Yuri, the other calling her instead, but they had still become close. Apparently, Yuri seemed to have sold it to Kyuhyun without her knowledge. Yoona knew she probably wanted it to be a surprise. 

Yoona stayed silent, Kyuhyun's hand snaking around her waist and holding her tightly. She couldn't be mad at Kyuhyun for buying the house, she couldn't. Though it held her trauma, the house also held Yoona's most precious memories, and thanks to Kyuhyun, she had managed to grow through it. And after all the years, Yoona's sister had finally came back, and her father had actually called. Though there was no sign of her mother, Yoona felt happy once again. Past relationships were being restored. Silently, Yoona whispered, "Thanks."

Kyuhyun nodded, a little peck on Yoona's lips as he smiled. 

"Hey, I think the soup's overflowing."