Another Chance?

Another Heart

 

 

 

“Suho?” Siwon went to find Suho who was wearing his sneakers.  Suho smiled when he saw his older brother.

 

“I’m going out with Kyungsoo for a while.” Suho stood up and was about to head out when his chest suddenly tightened. Suho wobbled slightly but grabbed hold of the nearby pole just in time as he placed his right hand on his chest.

 

“Suho!” Siwon called. Suho took a deep breath and opened his eyes. He turned to look at Siwon. “Bring this umbrella along too. It’s always raining lately. I don’t want you to get sick again.”

 

 

 

Siwon completely unaware about what had happened just now handed Suho the umbrella. Suho took the umbrella and hugged Siwon. “Thanks bro.” He smiled.

“Ohoho! Look who’s speaking English now.” Siwon teased. They’ve been speaking Korean this whole time but now Suho was thanking his brother in English.

 

Suho quickly ran out for Kyungsoo was already waiting in front of Suho’s house.

“Do I look like a girl with this umbrella?” Suho asked innocently. Kyungsoo laughed politely and said “No, you don’t silly.” Suho just laughed at his totally random question.

 

“Why do you want to meet my sister, Suho?” Kyungsoo asked as they walked.

“Well, you said Boram noona knows how to bake a cake, right?” Suho asked. Kyungsoo scrutinized him before answering.  

“Well, yes.”

 

“Great!” Suho said brightly.

 

As soon as they arrived at Kyungsoo’s house, Kyungsoo called his sister when they entered.

 

“A cake for Siwon oppa? Sure, no biggie cutie.” Boram agreed to help Suho.

 

“Why don’t you just buy one for him?” Kyungsoo wanted to know.

 

“Well… I…uh…” Suho secretly looked at Boram.

 

 

 

“Why?! I can bake one too! My cakes are much better than the ones from the shop!” Boram boasted, “A homemade cake is the most delicious cake in the world.” Boram poked Kyung’s forehead.

 

“Stupid noona. You think the ones at the shop were made by machines? The bakers made it with their hands too you know.” Kyungsoo smacked Boram’s hand away from his forehead.

 

 “Why you!” Boram growled.

“Calm down, noona!” Suho quickly said earning a glare from Boram.

 

“Please?” Suho flashed his angelic smile.

 

 “Hmph, fine. I’ll spare you this time Kyungsoo! You should thank your friend cute lil pie Suho!” Boram pinched the boys’s cheeks, making Suho turn red at the sudden touch. Kyungsoo merely rolled his eyes.

 

 

 

On the way back home, Suho smiled to himself. He knew that Siwon liked Boram a lot. So, receiving a cake from a crush will mean a lot to him. Kyungsoo watched his friend as he followed Suho who took out his small notebook from his pocket.

 

 

 

 Cake? Check!

 Presents? Check!

 Buy fruits? Erm…will buy them it tomorrow.

Send invitations? I’ll let Kyuhyun do it.

 

He checked everything off his list for Siwon’s birthday surprise. Suddenly, Kyungsoo stopped walking and patted his shoulder.

 “Hm?”

 

“ You…” Kyungsoo started to say.

 

“Me…?”

 

“Do you…like my sister?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“ WHAT?!” Suho nearly choked on his own saliva.

 

Before things got worse, Suho explained everything to Kyungsoo who listened attentively.

 

 “Aahhhhh~~~ Is that so?” Kyungsoo replied with a nod.

 

 

 

“You don’t mind right if you we become friend-in –law?” Suho asked carefully.

 “Brother-in-law, dummy! There’s no such thing as friend-in-law. Good god, that’s the first time I’ve heard something like that.” Kyungsoo slapped his own forehead with his hand.

 

 “I was just joking!” Suho laughed.

 

 

“Yeah right! Seeing you like this I wonder what kind of results you will get on the exam.” Kyungsoo sighed shaking his head.

 

“Hey, that’s mean!” Suho ruffled Kyungsoo’s hair.  Baekhyun and Kyuhyun came to join them afterwards and they hung out for quite a while. Kyuhyun then sent Suho back home. Worried about Suho’s health, Kyuhyun decided to trail back after him.

 

“Yah, Suho. You should spend some time with me too you know.” Siwon said to Suho when the elder saw his brother walk in.

 

“Hyung, I just went out for a while,” Suho let his backpack slide down his arms, “Just a sec while I’ll go change my clothes.” He walked into his room.

 

“Take a shower too while you’re at it!” Siwon shouted, “You stink.”

 

 

 

“I know!” Suho shouted back.

 

 After a few minutes, Siwon had dinner prepared as he waited for Suho to come out from his room. 15 minutes have passed and Suho hadn’t come out of his room yet. Suspicious, Siwon decided to go check up on him.  

 

“Hey Suho! What’s taking you so…long…” Siwon stopped dead in his tracks as his mouth fell open in shock.

 

Suho was sitting on the floor next to his bed and drawers. The only thing that freaked Siwon out was that Suho’s face was ghostly pale. Siwon rushed up to him and took his arm.

 

“Suho? What’s wrong?!”

“Nothing, I’m just tired.” Suho smiled weakly.

 “Are you sure? Do you want to go to the hospital? You look really pale…” Siwon helped Suho balance himself.

 

“ No, no I’m okay. I’m hungry hyung.” Suho trembled as he walked, supporting himself by clinging onto the wall. Siwon carefully led Suho to the dining table and kept a close watch on him as his younger brother ate. Suho then took his medicine, went to bed and fell asleep right away. Donghae came, after Siwon called him over. He took Suho’s blood pressure.

 

 

“ It’s lower than usual.” Donghae said.

 

 “He said he was tired. He was out all day today after all.” Siwon explained.

 

 “Maybe all he needs is just some rest. Make sure he takes his medicine regularly.” Donghae reminded Siwon.

 

 **

 

 “ No. A no is a no.” Siwon said firmly.

 

 “ But hyung..” Suho protested.

 

“ Suho, don’t you understand? Your body is weak.”

 

“But I’m totally fine.” Suho tried to convince Siwon.

 

“Suho, are you not listening to your brother anymore now?” Siwon looked at him. Suho was left dumbfounded at his brother’s words as he remained silent. Siwon sighed.

 

“I’m just worried about you Suho. So please, stay home today ok?” Siwon pleaded and with that left for work.

Leeteuk dropped by Siwon’s house again today but this time, he wanted to meet Suho.

 

 

“I came to talk.” Leeteuk said to Suho

 

“Yes, please have a seat.” Suho offered politely, flashing a small angelic smile. Oh that smile of his is just so so warm.

 

Suho knew Leeteuk was Kyuhyun’s older brother, but never had he met him face to face like this before. They just had a simple and friendly conversation. Leeteuk had not yet mentioned anything about the money.

 

“Sorry for taking up your time. I was just in the neighborhood and I had nothing to do so I decided to drop by. Well, you can say that I came here because you are Kyuhyun’s friend.”

 

 “ Yes, hyung.” He smiled.

 

 Believe it or not, Suho was the only one whom Leeteuk allowed him to call him ‘hyung’ instead of doctor. He agreed that Suho was such a good, well-mannered and intelligent boy. Whenever he asked about topics concerning medicine, Suho always answered them so professionally, suitable for Suho’s level. At least he knew something about it.

 

“Suho, he helped me a lot. If not, I would have disliked Biology and Chemistry.” Leeteuk reminisced what Kyuhyun had said to him the last few days when Leeteuk asked about their examination. This boy was the one who helped Kyuhyun got better exam marks. Seeing all this, Leeteuk has finally accepted that Suho was indeed a very good friend to Kyuhyun.

 

 

 

**

“How’s it going?” Leeteuk suddenly asked Donghae while they having dinner. Donghae looked up at his older brother, a confused expression plastered on his face. Leeteuk sighed, “That kid, Suho.”

 “But…why-” Donghae started to say. Was it just him or was Leeteuk actually being…caring?

 

 “If there is anything I can do to help, just tell me.” Leeteuk cut Donghae off, “Kyuhyun, go get the juice in the refrigerator.” Kyuhyun obediently went into the kitchen.

 

 “Don’t look at me like that.” Leeteuk muttered as he continued to eat, avoiding Donghae’s shocked expression.

 

“ Hyung.” Donghae uttered.

 

 “What? The world already lacks kind and intelligent men like me. Just be thankful I’m trying to help a poor boy who..well one day might become a good leader for our country.” Leeteuk explained. Donghae lowered his eyelids. Leeteuk was spluttering nonsense again. The younger just chuckled and nodded. “Right, thanks hyung.” Leeteuk finally agreed to help Suho. There was only a week before Suho’s operation. Leeteuk, Donghae and their father tried their best to make everything go as according to plan.

 

 **

“It’s a miracle!” Kyuhyun gasped.

 

 

 

“What is?” Suho asked.

“That Donghae hyung said Leeteuk hyung has finally agreed to help you too.” Kyuhyun said happily.  A wide grin appeared on Suho’s face. He felt so grateful he had such wonderful people surrounding him.

 

“Kyuhyun, we’re going to celebrate my brother’s birthday today tonight. I’m so very happy.” Suho said with a smile.

 

“Me too. Will Boram noona will bring the cake over?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

 “That’s what she said. Hyung will be so surprised when he sees her.” Suho giggled.

 

 “Ah! Did you buy fruits yet?” Kyuhyun looked at the list to find that the item was not yet crossed off.

 

“AAAHHHH!!!! Oh my god! I forgot!” Suho shouted, alarmed.

 

“Oh my god! Suho! You said your brother liked fruits! How could you forget that?!” Kyuhyun cried flapping his arms up and down frantically.

 

“Okay, okay don’t panic. I’ll go get the money and buy it in a flash. You, Kyungsoo and the others please help me decorate the house, okay?” Suho stood up and went into his room to look for money. He took out his diary where he had kept his money. As soon as he took the money, the diary suddenly fell to the floor.

 

 

 

“Suho! Suho! Umbrella! Umbrella! Don’t run! We still have time!” Kyungsoo shouted and threw a small umbrella to him.

 

 “Byun Baekhyun!! Do it right! Stop playing with the balloons! They might pop before we’re done with all of these preparations!” Chanyeol yelled at him. Baekhyun mocked him by repeating everything Chanyeol said. These kids were really causing quite a ruckus in the house. In the end, only Kyuhyun, Ryewook, and Kyungsoo helped with the decorations. Meanwhile, Sehun was asleep on the couch.

 

 

“Tsk, how can he sleep at a time like this?” Kyuhyun muttered staring at the snoring Sehun.

 

 “Chanyeol! Do something about your dongsaeng!” Ryewook yelled as he nailed a streamer to the ceiling.

 

 “Eh, just leave him. He’s tired.” Chanyeol said poking Baekhyun’s head over and over again. Baekhyun swatted Chanyeol’s hand away and chased him around the house. Kyungsoo couldn’t take it anymore.

“ Sehun, Luhan hyung is here.” Sehun felt someone poking him.

 

 “Luhan hyung?! Where? Where?!” Sehun’s flew wide open and he shot up from the couch looking around for Luhan.

 

 

 

“All done.” Kyungsoo gave a satisfied smirked.

 “Huh?” Sehun blinked. Luhan wasn’t in sight. The maknae came to a realization that he’d been tricked. “Aishhhh, hyung! Don’t do that! You’re so mean! I really thought Luhan hyung was here.” Sehun cried. Kyungsoo just laughed. The boy was so adorable. He decided to pretend to be Luhan, Sehun’s beloved cousin. Sehun however looked like he was about to cry. Kyungsoo panicked.

“Ah, I’m so sorry, Sehun. But I had to do something to wake you up,” Kyungsoo apologized, “We’re very busy right now and I really need to use to the couch.”

 

 Suddenly, the door flung open. Everyone turned their attention up front.

“Suho, you’re back!” Kyuhyun said automatically, “That was really fast! The store’s quite far, you know? And are you--.” The boy stopped in the middle of his speech and stared at the person in front of him. That wasn’t Suho.

 

“SIWON HYUNG!!!!” Chanyeol and Baekhyun gasped in unison. Siwon allowed his eyes to scan the room. The interior was filled with balloons, streamers, glitter and ‘happy birthday’ banner was hanging on the wall.

 

“Whoa…” Siwon breathed.

 

 “Siwon hyung, have you seen Luhan hyung?” Sehun suddenly asked, making the atmosphere even more awkward. Siwon slowly walked into the house, his eyes still fixated on the wall.

 

 

 

‘QUUAAACCKKKK!!!!!’ Went a strange sound breaking the silence in the room. Siwon yelped out in surprise causing the rest to be startled as well. Siwon looked down at his feet to find that had stepped on one of those noise making duck plushies. “Aish!  THAT SCARED ME!” Siwon shouted. Sehun was the first to start laughing and the others joined in.

 

 “Hyung! Why did you back so early?” Kyuhyun wanted to know.

 

 

**

 

 It was already 8:30 pm but Suho still wasn’t back home yet. Everyone who was invited for the party was present.  

“Why did you come back so early, Siwon?” Uncle Jae asked. His birthday party was not a surprise anymore. Siwon even made Suho’s favorite mushroom soup on his own birthday.

 

“Our boss decided to finish work early since it’s his anniversary with his wife today. That’s why I came back early,” Siwon explained, “Guys I’m really grateful. You guys did these all for me.”

 

 “Hyung, your phone’s ringing.” Sehun called. Siwon put the mushroom soup in a big bowl and put it on the table. He rushed to get his phone which was on the table beside the television.

 

 “Hello Boram? Yes? You’re coming to my party right? Kyungsoo is he-…” Siwon suddenly froze.

 

 

 

**

 Everyone gathered beside the emergency room. Boram who was a really weak person, had fainted. Kyungsoo brought his sister to the ward nearby, the nurse following close behind. Shocked by the incident, even Siwon felt faint and his legs were going limp. He was about to fall to the ground but was held back by Chanyeol. Siwon fell to the floor gently and sat down.

 

“Siwon.” Uncle Jae whispered. The situation left him speechless. They had to be strong and stay calm. Donghae finally came running and slowed down, stopping in front of the emergency room. He looked at who Leeteuk shook his head.

 

“Let me have a look.” Donghae was about to enter the emergency room but Leeteuk held his arm, “There’s nothing we can do. There’s internal bleeding in his brain.” Leeteuk said. Donghae shook his head in disbelief. It couldn’t be! Siwon got up in a flash and bolted for the emergency room, pushing the doors wide open. He pushed the blue curtains to the side and he saw a pale lifeless body lying on the bed.

 

Siwon grabbed hold of Suho’s hand. It was cold as ice. His heart suddenly ached when he saw blotches of bloodstains on Suho’s clothes. Siwon’s eyes watered as he stared at his younger brother and gently threw him a hug.

 

“Su-Suho, wake up. This is no time to be sleeping. You can’t stay here. Wake up, wake up. We were supposed to celebrate my birthday together today weren’t we?” Siwon whispered shakily. He caressed Suho’s hair and cheeks.

“Look, your body is so cold and your clothes are dirty. Don’t you think we should go home? I…I made your favorite mushroom soup. It’s going to get cold if we don’t hurry back.”

 Donghae lowered his head, trying his best to hold back his tears but failed as they streamed down his cheeks. Kyuhyun suddenly barged in and shook Suho’s body.

 

 “Ya! Dummy! Stop joking! Wake up right now, you idiot! You can’t leave us now! Suho ya!!! Hyung!! Siwon hyung!!! Do something! Suho, wake up now!” Kyuhyun shouted sobbing violently, “Wake.up…now S-Suho ya! H-…Hyung! Siwon hyung! Please wake him up. Please…” His words became uneven due to his hiccups as he fell to his knees, his face buried on the bed. It was no use. Suho was gone.

Yes, he was gone.

Siwon could only hug Suho tightly, crying over and over again as he spent his last moments with his deceased brother.

 

 

 

Kim Suho, the boy with shiny black hair, white skin and known for his sweet, kind and loving personality. The boy who had a wonderful smile as sweet and as warm as his name. Kim Suho, the beloved younger brother of Kim Siwon, has left this world. Some would think it was just their imagination but in fact it was all real.

“Suho, are you not listening to your brother anymore now?” The final words that echoed in the distance

 

 

**

 

 

“How can you still be smiling?” Boram muttered, staring at Suho’s photo which was placed in the middle among all the white flowers. The girl had finally recovered. Apparently Suho’s incident was the cause of her fainting. Many people from the neighborhood and from school showed up during the funeral to give their respects.The remaining people left after the funeral were only Siwon, Boram, Kyungsoo, Donghae and Kyuhyun. Uncle Jae looked at them from afar.

 

 

“Suho…you left me without saying goodbye. Now you’re with mother and father.” Siwon said softly staring at Suho’s grave, “That’s not fair. Bring me with you too…”

 

“ Oppa…” Boram said approaching Siwon. “Don’t say that.”

 

“How can you leave us just like that?! You could have waited; your surgery was only couple of days away! You could have lived longer Suho…” Kyuhyun cried. Donghae placed his arm on Kyuhyun’s shoulder comforting the boy as Kyungsoo sobbed silently.

 

Siwon was now the only one left in his house. He sat on the floor in front of the door, staring at Suho’s sneakers and slippers.

“Whose is going to use that, Suho?” He mumbled to himself.

 

Uncle Jae knocked on the door but then he just barged in and he saw Siwon not far from where he was standing. “You should lock the door after enter your house you know.” He said.

 

 

“If you don’t mind, I will sleep here tonight. Don’t worry, I won’t bother you but I will not leave alone either.” Uncle Jae entered, ignoring Siwon who was still sitting on the floor. Uncle Jae slept on the couch. Siwon said nothing as he got up and walked into Suho’s room. He took his time, staring at every edge and corner. He sat on Suho’s empty bed and the pillow where Suho’s head used to lay. Siwon smiled sadly. Just a pillow brought back so many memories. He sighed, looked at the floor and spotted something hidden in between the foot of the bed and the drawer. Siwon bent forward to reach for it. It was Suho’s diary.

 

 Siwon flipped to a random page, and some money dropped onto his lap. He stared at the money for a second and read the current page of the diary.

 

Uncle Jae gave me some money today. I refused at first but he insisted I take it and just suddenly left. He said it was for me so that I could buy things for hyung’s birthday. He gave me so much! So I took the opportunity and bought a lot of things! There was a cake, some fruits and a t-shirt! All for Siwon hyung!

 

 ~ ~

 

‘I kind of misused the money though. I bought something for Kyuhyun as well. It was meant only for hyung. I’m sorry hyung > < It’s okay right? Kyuhyun will definitely get a good score and a good ranking spot in school. I know he’s better than me. While buying hyung’s gifts, I bought Kyuhyun’s present. His was a sports bag and hyung’s well…were t-shirts, couple T-shirts to be exact. One for hyung and one for his girlfriend. Hehehe, I’m very clever aren’t I.
I will try my best in doing the mock exam. I want to make Siwon hyung proud of me! Fighting!!’

 

 

 

~ ~

‘Boram noona is so kind. I met her today and she agreed to help make a birthday cake for hyung. And I think hyung likes noona. So, I guessing they might already be in a relationship. I saw them eating lunch together! :D Awww it must be so nice. Now I want a girlfriend too >///< ehe~’

 

Siwon’s eyes lingered on the currently page as tears brimmed through his eyes. He laughed, wiping the tears away before they fell, “This kid...” He sniffed.

 

 

**

 

 A few days later, Siwon met up with Kyuhyun to give him his present. He mentioned about the t-shirt to Boram and she just cried her heart out. Together they went to Suho’s grave on the same day. It was true Siwon liked Boram but they weren’t not in a relationship yet. But, in the end, Boram finally accepted him so Siwon realized that his love was not a one-sided relationship, thanks to Suho.

 

**

 

The results of the mock examination were finally announced. After school ended, Kyuhyun went to Suho’s grave with Kyungsoo. He lay on the grass and started to talk with Suho while Kyungsoo placed some flowers in front of the grave.

 

 

 

“Unbelievable Suho, how could you give me the bag and just leave like that? Who am I going to show it off to now? Well, I am the one who should give you a present since you better than me...” Kyuhyun sighed.

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at Kyuhyun and placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder smiling, “Your brothers must be proud of you guys.”

 

“Suho, I don't know how you were able to get 2nd place in school but you were so cool,” Kyuhyun said, gazing into the blue sky, “Genius, a genius I tell you.”

 

“Kyungsoo! Kyuhyun! There you are!” They heard someone shout.

 

“Siwon hyung!!!” Kyungsoo waved.

 

They told Siwon about their exam results making Siwon really proud and very happy. It was unfortunate Suho was not here anymore to cherish the moment with them. Siwon told Kyuhyun to keep the bag since it was his last gift from Suho.

 

“I don’t know if I should ask this but…” Kyungsoo suddenly said as Siwon eyed the younger one curiously.

 

“What…exactly happened to Suho?” Kyungsoo asked slowly, worried his sudden question might hurt Siwon but the older just smiled and agreed to explain. It was on the day Siwon met up with Boram, the girl had a chance to tell what happened to Suho that time on Siwon’s birthday.

 

“Boram was walking alone with the box of cake in her hand.  She was on her way to my house when she remembered that she forgot to bring a box of matches. So she went to a grocery store nearby. Before she crossed the road, she saw Suho at the opposite side of the street.

He was about to cross the road. There weren’t many people there at the time. Boram looked in his direction but Suho didn’t notice her since he was busy looking into a plastic bag filled with apples. That’s when a little girl suddenly ran across the road. The traffic light was still green and a van was headed straight towards her, honking for the entire country to hear. Without thinking, Suho rushed in and…” Siwon stopped to take a deep breath, trying to steady his voice. He turned his gaze to Suho’s grave and gently touched the tombstone, a small smile on his face.

 

 “What about the little girl?” Kyuhyun asked. 

 

“The girl and her mom came to my house yesterday,” Siwon said his eyes not leaving the tombstone, “Other than a slightly injured leg and a bruise on her forehead, the girl was fine.”

 

 

**

 

Siwon had to attend school to receive the school’s appreciation certificate on Suho’s behalf. It was a drastic change but everyone had to move on and continue with their lives, their memories of Suho however, never fading. The little girl’s mom allowed Siwon to own a café somewhere in Seoul to make up for everything. It was the only thing she could do to repay him because she knew that not even her little girl or even money could replace his younger brother. Boram helped to take care of café as well and Siwon still continued to work as a supervisor in the marketing department. Kyuhyun had continued to pursue his studies in medicine and eventually became a specialist doctor. Every now and then the boy would sense Suho’s presence right next to him while he was working. As if he was watching over Kyuhyun. Suho’s blood was still flowing in Kyuhyun’s body after all. Suho’s body may no longer be physically present but his spirit was very much still alive.