Let Me Be The One

Let Me Be The One

 

We've been dating for eleven months, two weeks, and six days already. Next month is gonna be our first anniversary. I could still remember how we met.
 
 
It is in that restaurant. I was singing "The reason" on the stage. You were really touched by the lyrics and approached me to ask who did that song. I confidently said it was me. From that day on, we hang out a lot then eventually fell for each other. At first, I didn't know how to ask you out. But in the end, I just told you everything I feel. And luckily, you felt the same way, too.
 
 
But I think, not anymore. From what I can see, this is going nowhere. This relationship isn't really for us. Yes, it was good in the first months but love isn't about how happy you were in the past. It's about how you manage to keep each other happy no matter what happens.
 
 
Your friend, Sooyoung, said you cried again last night that's why you came home late. She said you are not happy, you are tired of this relationship, and tired of me. She said you want to end this but didn't know how to.
 
 
I opened the door to your room and saw you sleeping there. Slowly, I walked beside you. You are really beautiful. I fixed your hair which woke you up. "Sorry, I didn't mean to. Just sleep, Sica." I whispered. You shook your head as you got up and went straight to the bathroom. You didn't even look at me.
 
 
You went out few minutes later and found me sitting on your bed. "What are you doing here?" you asked, still not looking straight to me. "Sica, remember that restaurant where we first met?" you nodded. "Will you go there later?" you looked for your phone while replying. "What time?" I smiled before answering, "Can you come there by 7pm?" You grabbed your favorite bag while shaking your head. "Sooyoung and I will be eating dinner at Yoona's--" I cut you off. "They can come and have dinner there. My treat. Just please go there." You looked at me this time. You let out a sigh. "Okay"
 
 
That night might be our best/worst night ever. When the time came, I was ready, sitting infront of everybody with a guitar on my hand. You and your friends, Yoona and Sooyoung, entered the place and took the seat nearest to the small stage.
 
 
"Hey, Jonghyun." your friends greeted while you just looked away, pretending to find something.
 
 
"Jessica Jung. Thank you for coming. This is for you." I said before taking a deep breath and played a song for you.
 
 
Somebody told me you were leaving
I didn't know
Somebody told me you're unhappy
But it doesn't show
Somebody told me that you don't want me no more
So you're walking out the door
 
 
A tear fell from my eyes. I couldn't control them anyway no matter how hard I try. Memories of us keep playing on my mind.
 
 
Nobody told me you've been crying
Every night
Nobody told me you've been dying
But didn't want to fight
Nobody told me that you fell out of love from me
So I'm setting you free
 
 
I remembered our first date. I took you an amusement park even we didn't know each other very much. I won a teddy bear for you. You were smiling ear-to-ear back then. But that will all be just a memory now.
 
 
Let me be the one to break it up
So you won't have to make excuses
We don't need to find a set up where
Someone wins and someone loses
We just have to say our love was true
But has now become a lie
So I'm telling you I love you one last time
And goodbye
 
 
I remembered our first picture. It's still in my wallet. I never removed it. You had your sweetest smile and we were on a tight embrace. But that will all be just a memory now.
 
 
Just turn around and walk away
You don't have to live like this
But if you love me still then stay
Don't keep me waiting for that final kiss
We can work together through this test
Or we can work through it apart
I just need to get this off my chest
That you will always have my heart
Let me be the one
 
I remembered our first kiss. It was raining we don't have any umbrella. We just ran through the heavy rain. You suddenly stopped and looked at me with those tantalizing eyes. You leaned closer to me and your lips met mine. I unconsciously closed my eyes, enjoying your warm lips. But that will all be just a memory now.
 
Let me be the one to break it up
So you won't have to make excuses
We don't need to find a set up where
Someone wins and someone loses
We just have to say our love was true
But has now become a lie
So I'm telling you I love you one last time
And goodbye
 
 
I put down the guitar and looked at you.
 
 
"Let me be the one to end this, Jessica. Losing you is the most painful moment of my life but this is the best thing to do. Keeping me by your side will just make you suffer more. It's better if I'm the one who's hurt rather than you."

 
You were crying. I didn't know if it is because we are done or because finally you could get me out of your life.
 
 
"You said you're tired of  me. So, I'll do it for you. I'll end it for you because you deserve a nice guy. Well, that's just not me. But no matter where I am, I'll always wish for your happiness."
 
 
I don't know what to do with this trembling heart of mine that hurts everytime I see you cry. I can feel it being ripped off my chest and it hurts a lot.
 
 
"First date is awkward. First kiss is heavenly. First love is irreplaceable. First heartbreak is unforgettable"
 
 
I took a deep breath before saying my last words, "I love you, Jessica. Goodbye."