Day 58

068. Days ; Sungjong/Sunggyu

 

Day 58
The confession happened on new years eve. We had been watching the fireworks by Han river after travelling together to Seoul. He had the dark navy scarf my mother had knitted for him wound tightly around his neck, his maroon scarf now worn and tattered around my own.

It was while the firework show had been playing, and we both had a warm can of coffee clutched in our hand. I'd turned to look at him, bringing the can away from my lips, “Hey, hyung.”

He had 'hmmm'-ed in response, slowly tearing his eyes away from the extravagant light show above to meet my own that were looking up at him.

 

Hyung, noh johayo.”

He'd narrowed his eyes just that tiny bit, looking down at his hands in what had seemed like confusion, before looking back at me, his eyes pooling with emotion.

“Sungjong-ah... You shouldn't say that...” He had looked down again, away from me, and I could feel the slight sting behind eyelids.

“Why!? Tell me why I shouldn't.”

“It's just... Sungjo-”

“No! I like you, and I thought you felt the same way. So why can't I tell you that simple fact, Gyu? Why?”


He had looked down guiltily, lips slightly parted as though he were about to speak. Instead, he let out a tired puff of air.

“It's not that I don't like you, Sungjong. It's just that this won't work. It won't.”

 

And why not?! Is it your parents!? How do you know it won't work if you won't even let it begin!?” I had dropped the can of coffee onto the floor, and it had soundlessly rolled away, brown liquid pooling around, before tipping over the edge and falling into the river. I had turned my attention to my grass stained sneakers, blinking back those few tears that had forced their way up. “Why, hyung...?”

“Sungjong, plea-”

“Just give it a chance. We can make it work, I swear. Just one chance, Sunggyu. One.” And I had grabbed his hand in my own, watching as they clasped together perfectly; like matching pieces of a puzzle.

It had come out almost silent, but the whisper had been loud enough for my own ears.

“Okay... Let's try.”

And I had turned to him with an extraordinary smile as he turned to face me, and I had leaned forward just a little to do what I had been waiting for for so long, placing my lips on his.

He had tasted sweet, like cotton candy and peppermint.