Second.

Last Goodbye

 

It's already 5 years since I left Korea. I fulfilled my dream. I became a fashion designer,a successful one. However, I came back to see him again. 
 
We lost contact 3 years ago.Maybe, the distance between us took it's toll. One day, he just didnt call. I tried to call him but he doesnt answer. That's the reason why I came back. If we wouldnt be together again atleast I wanted a closure. I dont want to be waiting forever for someone who wouldnt come. 
There's another bigger reason though. I'm anemic since I was a child and somehow it developed into something worse, leukemia. With all the stress on going, I forgot abut myself. It's really rare for me to complete 8 hours of sleep. One day, I just found out that I have only months to live. When I found that out, I immediately booked a flight to South Korea. 
 
I went back to the ocean that we were in before I left. I felt the familiar coarse sand in my feet. I smiled to myself. I can remember his voice, the smell of his faint perfume, his face, everything. I heard someone sit beside me. 
 
"You're still smiling to yourself like an idiot Im Yoona, as always. " someone said. I recognize that voice.
 
"Hae!" I said and grinned at him.
 
There was an eerie silence after that. It wasnt like the silence that we enjoyed together. it's a silence that one couldnt even bear to lengthen. 
 
"How are you?" I asked, trying to break the silence.
 
"I'm fine. " he said.
 
"Hae? Why did you ignore my calls? Why are you not calling me?" I asked him, my voice quivering. 
 
He inhaled deeply and answered. "I was afraid to tell you the truth." he said softly .
 
"What kind of truth?"I asked. 
 
Instead of answering my question he gave me an invitation. I read it with shaking hands.
 
 
You are cordially invited to the wedding of
  Lee Donghae
       &
 Jung Sooyeon
 
I've only read the heading and it was enough to tell me the truth. He's getting married to Jessica, my bestfriend since pre-school. I couldnt say anything. My heart was smashed into pieces. I couldnt even breathe properly. I was feeling numb all over until I felt my tears fall, staining the ivory white paper.
 
You wanted a closure huh? Why are you like this? You told yourself if something like this happens you wont cry but what are you doing right now? You trained yourself to be a great actress. Why cant you do it now?, I told myself. I composed myself.
 
"Congratulations." I said, my voice sounding so far away. I couldnt even recognize that it was from me. It was too cheerful. 
 
"Thanks. I thought it would be really dramatic. You never fail to amaze me Im Yoona", he said and laughed.
 
"Of course." I said and laughed with him. It was my best defense mechanism, laughter. I could easily hide my tears, the pain I was feeling with laughter. 
 
"Can I ask a favor Yoong?" he asked.
 
"Of course. What is it?" 
 
"Sica wants her wedding dress to be made by you and she wants you as her maid of honor." he said and smiled.
 
"Okay. As long as it's for you and Sica, I'll do it." I said. I noticed something in his smile. His smile was never like that when we were together. I felt a pang of jealousy . His happiness hurt me. It's as if he's telling me that I can live without you. I can be happy without you. 
 
"Donghae-ssi. I have to go. I have loads of work at home. Annyeong!" I said and ran away. 
 
Just like before, I glanced at him. He waved at me and shouted Goodbye.