Action, Take Action

Nu'est - Taking Action

 

The next few days proved to be very uneventful. Aron and Ren spent their time sleeping and eating Ramen, lying around in the mess that was once their clean, tidy dorm.

Ren slowly lifts himself off the couch, hoping not to disturb Aron who is fast asleep beside him. He tiptoes quietly to the door and pulls his shoes on. As he reaches for the doorknob he hears a faint voice, coming from the couch.

“Huh?” he calls out.

“Where are you going,” Aron slurs as he slowly sits up, barely able to keep his eyes open.

“I’m going to look for Baekho.”

“Why? He’ll probably be home soon.”

“It’s been almost a week; he’s not coming back; we should have reported him missing by now.”

“Maybe he’s still in jail.”

“He’s not, I already called. No one has seen him.” Ren says, he doesn’t wait for a response and flings the door open, not looking back at Aron as he shuts the door. As he walks down the hall, he can vaguely hear Aron call out after him, “Be safe Dongsaeng.”

 

Ren wanders the busy streets of Seoul, people push past him, not caring if they knock into him.

“Baekho!” He calls out, the people around him stare at him as they walk past. A group of teenage girls start walking towards him, giggling.

The girl at the front is the first to speak, “Uhhh…Are you Ren from Nu’est?”

Ren nods, “Ne.” The girls begin screaming and crowding around him and calling out things like “Can I have your autograph?” and “Can I take a picture with you?” Ren signs a few pieces of paper and takes a photo with them; then turns around and continues walking down the road. He doesn’t look back but he knows that the girls are still watching him.

He wanders around aimlessly for hours, occasionally asking strangers if they had seen Baekho, showing them a picture of him.

He stops and looks up at the sky, the sun is beginning to set; Streams of pink and orange filling the sky, the sun slowly disappearing into the silver clouds on the horizon.

He sighs and decides to begin walking back to the dorm. The streets become busier as rush hour approaches. He takes in a deep breath and begins running down the streets, as fast as his legs can take him. Desperate to get back to the dorm for no apparent reason.

He burst into the door of the door, Aron who is standing in the kitchen looking in the cupboard jumps at the sudden noise.

“Jeez…Scared the crap out of me!” Aron laughs as he shuts the cupboard.

“Miane,” Ren pants as he takes of his shoes at the door.

“Did you find him?”

Ren shakes his head, “No.”

“Don’t worry so much, he’ll be back soon.”

“I don’t see why you’re not worried at all! After all that’s happened, we were supposed to stay together no matter what and Baekho suddenly goes missing and you don’t even care!”

Aron frowns, “Don’t talk to me like that, don’t forget I am older than you.”

“Oh how could I forget?” Ren scoff sarcastically, “You mention it all the time! You don’t act like you are.”

Aron growls, “If you say one more word I’ll…”

Ren interrupts him, “You’ll what?! Stab me with the knife you took from the draw.”

Aron chuckles and reaches his hand into his back pocket, “Oh you mean this one,” he pulls his hand back out of the pocket, revealing a small knife, the knife that took Baekho’s life. Flakes of dried blood fall of the knife onto the floor beside him.

Ren begins to laugh as he reaches into the pocket of a raincoat on the coat hook beside the door, pulling out the serrated knife that JR was tortured with.

“Mine’s bigger,” Ren chuckles.

Aron’s eyes widen in shock, “It was you?!”

Ren simply nods, a wide grin forming.

“Oh god,” Aron says as he closes his eyes, “What have I done?”

Ren begins to laugh harder, “You killed Baekho because you thought it was him. Didn’t you?”

Aron slowly nods and opens his eyes, which are now filled with tears of regret and looks up at Ren.

“You…” He stutters, “You murderer.”

“I could say the same for you, you did kill Baekho after all.”

“I killed him because I though he killed Minhyun and JR, now that I know it’s you; Can you guess what I plan on doing?”

“Hmmmm….let me think,” Ren says sarcastically, “Kill me?”

Aron grins at him, “Correct.”

Ren slowly steps towards him, “Not if I get to you first.”

Ren continues walking towards Aron, into the kitchen. He lifts up the knife and Aron’s cheek with the blade. Aron pushes him back half-heartedly. He stumbles slightly, once he regains he balance, he moves closer and lifts up the knife. The tip of the blade pointing at the center of Aron’s stomach.  He strikes at his stomach, only missing by a millimetre as Aron steps to the side, slashing Ren in the arm with his knife. It tears through the thin material of his shirt and into his flesh. Ren groans and steps back, inspecting his wound. The blood begins to seep from the shallow cut, running down his arm and dripping off onto the floor. With a sudden burst of anger, Ren reaches over onto the kitchen counter beside him with his uninjured arm and picks up a large serving plate and in one quick movement, he throws it at Aron with all of his strength. It smacks into Aron’s stomach and he groans and doubles over as the plate falls onto the ground and shatters, pieces of broken porcelain spreading through the kitchen.  The shattered plate distracts Aron for a moment. Ren takes advantage of this and raises his knife. Aron turns back, noticing the knife coming towards him and quickly knocks it out of Ren’s grasp with his forearm. It is thrown across the room, onto the carpet in the living room beside the couch. Aron grins and begins slowly stepping towards the now unarmed man in front of him. Ren quickly lifts his foot up and kicks him in the shin, as he growls in pain Ren scrambles away as fast as he can manage, into the living room. Before he is able to get to the knife, Aron regains his composure. Aron rushes into the living room and pushes Ren onto the floor on his stomach, completely defenceless. Aron quickly rolls him onto his back, pushing his shoulder into the floor to keep him still and raises the knife above his heart, ready to strike. As the knife comes down, Ren uses all of his strength to break Aron’s tight grip. He pushes his body away from Aron a little too late and the knife plunges into his right thigh. He cries out in pain and Aron’s pushes him back down to the floor, raising the knife again. Ren smacks him in the face with his other knee, which causes Aron to let go of him. Ren takes this advantage and uses the couch to push himself back onto his feet. The right side of his jeans are now soaked in his blood. He stumbles over to his knife and picks it up, making sure to keep an eye on Aron; who is now standing, rubbing the mark that has begun to form on his left cheek. Both of the men are now standing, staring into each other’s hate filled eyes, holding weapons that could so easily take each other’s life. A few minutes pass before anything happens.