Where You Belong

Nu'est - Taking Action

 

“Kang Dong Ho, you have been granted bail. Someone will meet you out the front to pick you up soon,” an officer says as he opens the door of Baekho’s cell. Baekho sighs in relief and follows behind the officer into a small room filled with shelves with people’s belongings.

“Here are your clothes, phone and watch. You can change into your clothes in the bathrooms out the front. You can keep your jumpsuit, you’ll probably need it again soon,” The officer says.

Baekho scowls at him and takes his possessions.

 

Baekho sits on the front steps of the police station, dressed in his own clothes. He waits there for half an hour, eventually becoming impatient. He considers leaving on his own and walking back to the dorm.

“Baekho!” A deep masculine voice calls out.

Baekho stands up and looks around, trying to find where the voice came from. He vaguely recognises Aron from a distance and quickly runs towards him.

“Thanks for coming to get me,” Baekho says gratefully as he embraces him in a tight hug.

 Aron chuckles, “It’s okay, let’s hurry up and get home, I’m starving.”

Nothing is said as they walk back to the dorm. Baekho expected Aron to question him about his time in jail but he remains silent. They turn into a deserted alley, there are trash bags against the brick walls and there is a distinct aroma of rotten fish in the air.

“Aron? Where are we going? This is a dead end,” Baekho questions as he continues to follow him to the end of the alley.

“You should have stayed in jail,” Aron growls before he turn around to face Baekho.

“Huh?”

“It’s where you belong.”

“What are you talking about?!” Baekho exclaims, becoming frustrated.

“Why did you do it? Why did you kill them?!”

“I didn’t!”

“Words mean nothing,” Aron growls as he pulls a small knife out the pocket of his jeans. The light reflects off it into Baekho’s eyes.

Baekho gasps and begins to step backwards away from Aron but Aron only steps closer. Baekho turns and breaks out in a run, desperate to get out onto the street, into the public. Aron chases after him and stops abruptly in front of him. Aron grabs him by the throat with one hand, the knife in the other and pushes him into the corner, smashing him against the wall, knocking the air from Baekho’s lungs. Aron releases his grip on Baekho and raises the knife to his throat.

“Please Don’t! Don’t do it!” Baekho cries out.

“It can’t it go on like this,” Aron sighs before lowering the knife to Baekho’s torso and plunging it deep into his stomach. He pulls out the knife quickly and Baekho falls to the ground, crying out in pain.

Baekho’s hand reaches up and clutches onto Aron’s shirt, “Hyung,” he mutters. Aron simply swats his hand away, letting it fall to the ground.

A pool of crimson blood begins to form on the grimy concrete, surrounding Aron’s shoes. Warm, salty tears begin to stream down Aron’s cheeks. “I’m sorry!” He yells before striking Baekho with the knife again. Baekho’s screams suddenly stop, along with his heartbeat.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t have a choice,” Aron mutters as more tears flow down his cheeks.

He takes one last look at Baekho and shoves the knife back into his pocket. He runs out of the alley as fast as his legs will take him, fleeing the scene.

 

Ren slowly opens the draw, a collection of sharp knives lay there on a piece of fabric.

“One of them is missing,” he sighs.

“I guess,” He thinks for a moment, “I guess only one of them will be coming back.”

He sits back down on the coach and awaits what is to come.

 

“Hey Princess, I’m back,” Aron calls as he enters the dorm, shutting the door behind him.

Ren appears in the doorway of the bedroom, scowling, “I told you to stop calling me that.” He hesitates for a moment, “Where’s Baekho?”

“I don’t know, he wasn’t there when I went to get him,” Aron explains.

“Oh, do you think he’ll come back?”

He shrugs, “Probably, where else is he meant to go?”

“Do you really think he did it?”

Aron hesitates, “Yeah, do you?”

Ren raises an eyebrow at him, “Not really.”

Aron glares at him for a moment, then sighs and looks up at the light, “What’s done is done, JR and Minhyun are dead and it won’t be long before Baekho is behind bars again.”

Ren remains silent, refusing to look at him. Instead he stares out the window, looking onto the bustling city. After a few minutes he turns back to Aron who is still staring at the light. Ren coughs to get his attention and he instantly snaps out of his daze and looks at him with an expressionless face.

“By the way,” Ren hesitates, “Do you know where the knife went?”

“What knife?”

“The small one, in the kitchen draw, it’s gone.”

Aron shrugs, “I don’t know, Baekho probably did something with it.”

Ren rolls his eyes and turns back to the window and quietly mutters under his breath, “Or you.”

Aron walks back into the bedroom, completely oblivious to Ren’s accusation.