Chapter Four

The Moon Behind the Sun

Lay opened his eyes when the sunshine came inside Kris’ room through the window. A smile grew on his lips as he saw Kris slept while holding his hand.

Not long after Lay woke up, Kris opened his eyes slowly. He looked at Lay with sleepy eyes and smiled. “Hello, fragile man.”

Lay chuckled. “Good morning to you too.”

Kris got up and sat on the edge of the bed. He placed his hand on Lay’s forehead. “The fever is gone already.” Kris said.

“I can say so…”

“Feeling any better?”

“Mmm. Much better now…” Lay got up weakly and sat on the bed, leaning his fragile body on Kris’.

“Good to know.” Kris put his arms around Lay’s shoulder. “I was so scared, you know? I thought that you’re…” he paused his words. His arms embrace the boy tighter as he continued. “If something would to happen to you, I couldn’t forgive myself…”

 Lay laughed slowly. “Silly…” he said with small voice. He buried his face on his chest, loving the scent that Kris had.

Kris pushed Lay away gently to see his face. “You scared me like hell. No kidding.”

“Sorry…”

“Don’t do that ever again, okay?”

Lay nodded as he gave Kris a soft smile. Kris smiled back at him, holding his hand tightly.

But suddenly Lay’s smile faded as he remembered about something that bothering him. “Hey, Kris… may I ask you something?”

“Of course, go ahead.”

Lay bit his lower lip, looking a bit hesitate. “I remember… you talked to a boy last night. You were with him when you found me, weren’t you?”

Kris looked nervous hearing Lay’s question. “Uhh… yeah.”

“Who is he?”

The older one didn’t know what to say. He didn’t want Lay to know who Xiu Min is, but he couldn’t say anything but truth to Lay. “He is… my boyfriend.”

Lay looked startled at Kris’ answer, but all he could say just, “Ah… I see…”

“Hmm…”

Such a death silence between them until Lay suddenly broke it. “You left him last night—“

Kris cut Lay’s words before the younger could finish the sentence. “Don’t worry about it. He’ll be fine.” he said. But Lay seemed not sure about what Kris said.

“Are you sure?”

“Pretty sure.”

Lay sighed, pulling his hand back from Kris. “Kris…” Lay said. “I don’t want to be an intruder between both of you…”

“You’re not an intruder.” Kris said, pulling back Lay’s hand. He held it even tighter.

“But, Kris…”

“I…” Kris paused his words, taking a little more time before saying, “I don’t have any feeling for him anymore.”

Lay blinked his eyes. He couldn’t believe what he’d just heard. “What? But… why?”

Kris ducked his head, shaking his head slightly. “I don’t even know why…”

Lay cupped Kris’ cheeks with both of his hands, lifting it up to face him. “Kris, are you okay…?” he asked hesitantly.

Kris gave him a sad smile. Lifting his hand, he touched Lay’s hand on his cheek. “I don’t know…” he answered. “But one thing I know, I’m madly in love with someone now.”

“Who is that…?”

Instead of answering the question, Kris leaned down on Lay, cupping the thin man cheeks and kissing his lips.

Lay’s lips were so soft, making Kris deepened the kiss.

Lay was shocked at Kris sudden kiss, but he didn’t even try to get away from the guy. He placed his arms around Kris’ neck, enjoying the soft, sweet kiss.

Kris finally broke the kiss after a while. He caressed Lay’s blushing cheek softly, smiling at the younger. “I’m madly in love with this fragile, beautiful man in front of me…”

 

***

 

Xiu Min woke up earlier this morning. He wanted to make a breakfast for Kris. Xiu Min didn’t want to think about why he still pounded around Tao. All he wanted was being closer with Kris. He didn’t even care if his feelings for Kris slowly faded away. He didn’t care if Kris more cares about the guy he didn’t know who more than about him.

After he cooked, Xiu Min took his sweater and walked out the house, holding the food bag. He couldn’t wait to see Kris this morning.

Unfortunately, Xiu Min saw something he didn’t want to see once he arrived at Kris’ house.

Kris was with the guy last night, walking out with the guy’s hand on Kris’ hand. Xiu Min didn’t know what to say neither what to do seeing them together, he just stood with eyes opened wide.

Kris stopped his step as he saw Xiu Min looking at him with an unpredictable expression. He didn’t expect Xiu Min would come to his house this morning.

But it was Lay, the one who felt really guilty at the moment. Looking at the shorter guy in front of them, Lay hurriedly pulled his hand from Kris’, but otherwise the taller held his hand even tighter. He pulled Lay towards Xiu Min, giving his house key to his boyfriend. “Wait for me inside, I’ll be back soon.”

Xiu Min received the key without saying anything. There was not even a single word came through his lips. He just looked at Kris and Lay until they disappeared down the road.

 

***

 

“Kris…”

“Hmm?”

“Is that really okay?”

“What?”

“Your boyfriend…”

Kris sighed heavily at Lay’s words. “Didn’t I say don’t worry about it?”

Lay looked down. He squeezed Kris’ hand, feeling guilty. “Yes, but…”

“Don’t worry about it, Lay.”

“But, Kris…”

Kris looked at Lay’s eyes sharply. “Stop thinking about it, Lay,” he said with his low tone. “My and Xiu Min’s problem has nothing to do with you.”

Lay lost his words. What he could do just nodded unsurely.

Finally they arrived at Lay’s house. Lay held Kris’ hand tightly when they stepped into the huge building. Lay knew his father would be so angry with both of them, especially to Kris. The old man treasured Lay the most since the thin man’s mother died 10 years ago, but he was just too protective that made Lay feel so sick. It wasn’t like Lay hated his father, he just wanted his father to remember that he grew up already, and even he was so easy to get sick, he could take care of himself. He didn’t need any body guards, he wanted to be free like everyone else.

And soon Lay found that he was right, his father was really, really angry once he saw Lay came with Kris.

“Why did you run away like that?!” The old man burst. He then threw his gaze towards Kris. “You…” he hissed. “Surely you made my son do such a thing!”

Kris couldn’t even say any of word when Lay’s father’s fist hit his jaw hardly.

“DIDN’T I SAY DON’T YOU DARE TO MEET MY SON AGAIN?! DIDN’T YOU HEAR IT?! LAY IS MY ONLY SON! MY PRECIOUS ONE! I WON’T LET A RAT LIKE YOU TO TOUCH HIM!”

Again, Lay’s father hit Kris’ face over and over. Kris fell down, didn’t even want to hit him back.

“Dad, stop! Please, stop it!” Lay, with his teary eyes, pushed his father away from Kris. He squatted beside the tall man, almost crying. “Are you okay? God, you’re bleeding…” he said as he helped Kris to get up.

“I’m okay, don’t worry,” Kris said as he gave Lay a reassuring smile.

But it was just when Lay moved to hug Kris, his father pulled him away from his beloved man. “Lay! Get away from him!” he yelled.

“No! Let me go! I want to be with him!” As he said, Lay pulled back his hand from his father’s as hard as he could and ran towards Kris, hugging him.

“Lay…” Kris muttered. He hugged Lay back tightly as if he didn’t want the thin man to taken away from him.

Lay buried his face onto Kris’ chest, crying there. “Take me out of here… I just want to be with you, please take me out of here…” he said between his sob.

And Lay didn’t need to say it twice. Kris hurriedly pulled him and ran away together. No matter how many body guards that blocked their way, Kris’ didn’t care. He beat all of the body guards just to take Lay escape from that place.

“LAY!! COME BACK HERE!!”

Honestly, Lay’s father’s voice just drifted in Lay’s and Kris’ ears.

 

***

 

Xiu Min was almost falling asleep when the phone in his pocket vibrated. He took it out and saw Tao’s name on the screen

“Hey, Tao,” said Xiu Min once he pushed the answer button.

“Hey, Xiu Min,” Xiu Min could hear Tao’s voice from the other side. “Where are you? I’m planning to go to your place tonight.”

Xiu Min bit his lower lips, knowing Tao wouldn’t like his answer. “I… uh… I’m at Kris’ place.”

As Xiu Min expected before, Tao’s voice turned into the cold, disappointed one. “What are you doing there?” he asked.

“There’s… something that Kris wants to talk to me… I’m waiting for him here…”

“Oh. Okay. Call me once you get back home, okay?”

“Of course. See you later, Tao…”

“Yeah.”

It was right after Xiu Min ended the phone call, Kris and Lay entered the room. Xiu Min looked startled that he found the man that he saw with Kris back before was here again, but he was shocked even more looking at Kris’ bruised face.

“Kris, what did—“

Kris looked at Xiu Min with a gaze that made the shorter shut himself up before looking at Lay. “Wait here.” he said. He then turned his head back towards Xiu Min, pulling his boyfriend hand. “Come on, let’s talk in my room.”

Xiu Min was still speechless at the moment, but he still followed Kris’ to his room.

Kris closed the door behind him before sitting down on the edge of his bed. “Come here, sit with me.” he said as he found Xiu Min still stood looking at him.

“Kris…” Xiu Min mumbled, sitting beside the younger guy.

“You can ask me anything.”

“B-But, Kris…”

“I know you have many question for me to answer. So, go ahead. I’ll answer it no matter what.”

Xiu Min looked at his own lap and sighed. Kris was wrong. He just had two questions to answer. “That guy... I’d never seen him before. Who is he?”

“His name is Lay.” Kris bit his lower lips. He looked hesitate to continue, but he already decided to tell Xiu Min everything. “Xiu Min, he is…”

“It’s enough, I know what you’re gonna say.”

“Xiu Min…”

“Last question. I won’t ask you anything after this,” Xiu Min said. He took a deep breath before asking, “Kris, do you still love me?”

Kris sighed as he already knew Xiu Min would ask him this. It was really hard for him to answer. He felt so guilty. Xiu Min was a really, really good man and he always made him hurt. But Kris realized that Xiu Min had to know what his feeling right here right now.

“Xiu Min…” he gulped before saying, “… I’m sorry, Xiu Min. I love Lay more than I love you.”

Kris looked at Xiu Min’s eyes. There were no tears at all, not like what he’d expected before.

Xiu Min smiled, peacefully.