Revelations

Forgotten Memories

Changmin was in shock. Jaejoong had just kissed him. Kissed him! 

"Well, I thought--you might have missed our relationship before the accident so--"

"Our relationship? Hold on." He was being pranked. He should have known. It was probably Junsu getting back at him for laughing at his favourite player at the game a few weeks ago. How did he get Jaejoong to play along though? Changmin grinned, "You almost scared me! I thought you were serious for a second. Seriously hyung, you should be an actor. Where's Junsu hiding now? Or is he using a camera?"

His smile faltered when he saw Jaejoong's expression. "It's....not a prank..I-I'm being serious.." 

Jaejoong looked up, holding Changmin's gaze. And he immediately knew the older man wasn't joking. 

"Jaejoong..we were never in a relationship.."

Changmin looked down, "Actually, no one wanted to tell you..but you used to like Yunho.."

"Why didn't anyone tell me?!"

----------------------------------------

 

Jaejoong lay in bed a few hours later, feeling as shocked and confused as when he had his conversation with Junha. And he felt betrayed. Why did Junha lie? Was it because she was afraid he was stealing Yunho away from her? After all, Yunho was always so busy.

"Junha, why don't you ever go on dates with Yunho? I never see him going out on a date."

"Ah, that's because we're always busy. Being dance instructors takes a lot of work, especially with our busy schedules these days. But don't worry about us! We go on small dates during lunch breaks and all." She smiled.

---------------------------------------

 

The next morning after everyone had headed to work, Jaejoong headed into Yunho's room. He held on to the hope that he would be able to regain at least some of his memory if he saw photos from the past. Yunho's room was well organized, though not as tidy as his own. A few clothes were strewn on the bed and slung over a chair. The bookshelf against the wall was his target. Jaejoong looked through the bookspines and pulled out a photo album. It was completely filled with photos of the five of them. In earlier photos, he noticed that Yoochun was missing in some. However, Yunho was in nearly every single picture. And it was just as Junha had said; Yunho and Jaejoong were best friends. They were inseparable in the photos. So then why did Jaejoong forget Yunho of all people? He replaced the photo album and reached for the next album, adorned with flower prints. He paused, hand in midair as the memory of a voice filled his head.

He heard his voice, pitches higher than his current, "Yunho, we're going to be best friends forever right?"

"Of course!"

"Yay! I love you so much!"

A child's giggle. "I love you too!"

His voice sounded again, this time deeper.

"Yunho-ah, can't we be more than.."

"Did you see that? I nailed it! Hah! I told you I could beat your score! Oh did you say something?"

"Nothing.."

Jaejoong frowned. Did that mean he really did like Yunho, as Changmin has said? And that would explain Junha's lie. A colorful photo folder caught his attention. He carefully pulled the thin folder out revealing photo folder similar to the kind you'd get when buying ride photos at amusement parks. Which amusement park did Junha say they met? He flipped open the folder and froze. The photo was taken at the highest drop of the ride. There was Yunho seated at the front of the vehicle, arms lifted high in the air, mouth open in a inaudible scream and hair blown back by the force of the wind as the coaster began it's plunge downwards. Next to him, was unmistakably Jaejoong. Unlike Yunho he was hunched over, both hands firmly gripping the safety bars, eyes tightly shut in fear. And seated behind them were two girls; one with short dark hair who seemed to be enjoying the ride as much as Yunho with her arms in the air, and the other one with longer hair flying behind her in a tangle of curls was none other than Seo Junha. Jaejoong dropped the folder, unable to comprend the photo. It couldn't have been a different day--if Jaejoong didn't want to go on a ride, then he'd never set foot on it. There was no way he could have decided to ride it another day. How is it that all the details of how he met Junha was exactly the same as the photo? Except for the fact that Jaejoong and Junha were both on the ride.

"Yunho-o-o!" Jaejoong whined, dragging out the last vowel, "I don't want to go on this ride-e!" He tugged at Yunho's arm in an attempt to escape the line.

"We're going! You said we could go on whatever ride I want if I beat your score!"

"I don't want to!"

"You promised."

"Yunhoooo!" 

Yunho held on tightly to Jaejoong's arm.

"I'm going to murder you after this."

Yunho chortled, "Will you have enough strength to?"

"See?! What if I die?! Will you be responsible for my death??"

"Relax Joongie, you won't die!"

Jaejoong pouted. He looked around the line, noticing how everyone seemed excited and restless to get to the ride. Except him. He really wanted to leave. He heard giggling behind him and faintly noticed the two girls behind him. They were staring at Yunho. Jaejoong held on to Yunho tighter and pressed himself to his arm, batting his eyes in mock flirtation at Yunho, "Pretty please? Can we get out of here? There's two girls staring at you behind us and it's slightly unnerving."

"You're just looking for an excuse to leave."

"I am not!"

"Are too!" Yunho glanced at the two girls. One of them started blushing and began fiddling with her hair.

"Told you."

"They aren't unnerving."

"To me they are!" Because I'm jealous.

Realization hit Jaejoong. Hard. Junha lied. She lied about everything. She was never his friend. And that was why..

"Over here Jaejae!" Junha grinned brightly and waved him over to a table, "You're always late! I ordered your drink for you again."

"Ah..thanks!" Jaejoong paused, "Orange?"

"Yeah! Like always!"

"Honestly, I thought I always got mango though..."

"Oh..really? I must have gotten that confused. They look the same anyway haha!" She shrugged, "I guess maybe I rely more on my visual memory."

Junha didn't know what his favourite drink was. 

Yunho jumped.

"What's wrong?"

"You know that girl that I said began working at the dance studio I'm working at?"

"Yeah.."

"She just walked past the window. I think she saw us sitting in here. Well. Me. To be more exact."

"Oh. She just walked in here--wait that's the girl from that ride you forced me on."

"Yeah, I guess she's going to stop by and say hello. Sorry, looks like we might have to find another time to talk. Was what you were going to tell me important?"

"....No..."

The girl approached their table, "Yunho! I thought I saw you from outside! You should have invited me to your lunch break too!" She eyed Jaejoong, "Hi! I'm Yunho's colleague from the studio, Junha! Ooh nice choice for a drink, I love their orange smoothie. Yunho...mind if I join you guys? How was your class, by the way? I heard they're a bit difficult to manage."

Jaejoong got up, "Actually, I just remembered I had an appointment." He nearly ran out of the cafe.

Replacing the photo back in Yunho's shelf, Jaejoong stumbled out of the room. What other lies had Junha been feeding him? In fact, what was the real reason that Yoochun disliked Junha so much? And Yunho and Junha...are they really together? It seemed likely. Jaejoong pushed the door to his room open and flopped down on the chair. Last night, Changmin hadn't answered when he demanded to know why no one told him that he liked Yunho. Why? Was it because Yunho was already taken? Maybe they were cheating on Junha? Mindlessly, he spun the chair around, watching as everything around him became a blur. It was ironic because a part of his life had become a blur, except he wasn't controlling the blur. A warped blur because now he didn't know which memories were fake, and which were real.

He didn't know how long he was moping in his room. The sound of a car engine outside grew louder. Was someone home? Jaejoong picked himself up and went over to the window, peering outside. Their neighbor's car. Oh. Shrugging, he was about to turn around when a white sedan drove up next to the house. Deja vu? The engine stopped. He blinked and suddenly, Yunho was there. But that wasn't all. Yunho was against the car and a woman was pressed against him, their lips connected in a kiss. And Jaejoong felt like an outsider as he watched himself tear away from the window, letting out a sob, eyes filled with tears.

Yoochun stepped out from his room, took one glance outside the window and charged outside. Jaejoong saw himself watching Yoochun as he stormed towards the couple, murder in his eyes. He ripped the surprised Junha off of Yunho, grabbed Yunho's arm and dragged him back to the house.

"Jaejoong--hyung, please go back to your room I'll--" Yoochun's request was cut off by a screech from Jaejoong.

"YOU LIAR!"

Yoochun and Yunho both recoiled from his outburst, "YOU SAID YOU WOULD TELL ME!"

Yoochun released Yunho and opted for holding on to Jaejoong to prevent the older male from lunging at Yunho.

The tear-stricken hyung clawed at the pale Yunho, "DIDN'T YOU SAY YOU WOULD TELL ME? THAT YOU WERE THINKING?"

"Jaejoong, I did--"

"YOU BASTARD! YOU LIED!"

"I didn't, it was--"

"YOU WERE WHAT? HUH?! WHAT?! JUST MAKING OUT WITH JUNHA?!"

Jaejoong watched as hurt filled his own eyes, "Why didn't you just tell me then? It would have saved so much pain IF YOU HAD JUST TOLD ME!"

"Jaejoong please--"

"DON'T CALL ME THAT. YOU KNOW WHAT? IF YOU'RE SO INDECISIVE AND THICK MINDED THAT YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT WHETHER YOU SHOULD PLAY TWO PEOPLE AND CHEAT ON THEM, GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!"

He heaved a breath, "I never want to see a lowly person such as you again."

Yunho snapped, anger apparent in his eyes, "AND WHO GAVE YOU THE RIGHT TO SAY THAT? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON? HOW ARE YOU EVEN QUALIFIED TO BE A LYRICIST?"

"YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I DO. I AM A BLOODY COMPOSER! I DON'T ALWAYS DO LYRICS!"

Yoochun watched helplessly as the two began to chew each other out.

"Hah. AND WHEN YOU DO, THEY . YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE YOU'VE NEVER HAD ANY EXPERIENCE IN WHAT YOU WRITE. YOU ALWAYS WRITE ABOUT LOVE AND HOW IT'S SWEET BLAHBLAH--"

"DON'T YOU DARE BRING MY WORK INTO THIS."

"AND YOU KNOW THOSE BANDS TAKE YOUR SONGS? BECAUSE THEY FEEL SORRY FOR YOU! YOUR MUSIC IS SO PITIFUL, THEY HAVE TO MAKE UP FOR IT WITH THEIR VOCALS!"

"WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT MY MUSIC?"

"IN FACT NOTHING! NO ONE TALKS ABOUT YOUR MUSIC BECAUSE NO ONE LIKES IT. THEY ONLY TALK ABOUT THE BANDS. HAVE YOU NOTICED?!"

Jaejoong huffed angrily, "HOW LOW WILL YOU SINK? THE MAIN POINT IS THE BAND!  I DON'T CARE IF MY MUSIC DON'T GET RECOGNI--"

"BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL BE BASHING ON YOU IF IT IS RECOGNIZED!"

"JUNG YUNHO! THIS IS IT! GET YOUR SORRY OUT OF MY SIGHT! I SWEAR! GET OUT OF MY LIFE OR SO HELP ME I WILL MURDER YOU IF YOU EVER APPEAR IN FRONT OF ME AGAIN!"

"SEE IF I CARE! I HOPE I WILL NEVER HEAR YOUR CRAPPY SO-CALLED MUSIC ON THE RADIO!"

"MAYBE I'LL WRITE ABOUT AN IDIOT BASTARD WHO WAS GOING TO CHEAT ON HIS GIRLFRIEND!"

"DO YOU THINK ANYONE WILL SING THAT TRASH? YOUR COMPANY WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO PAY TO GET SOME POOR ROOKIE GROUP TO SING IT!"

"AT LEAST I DON'T TEACH THEM HOW TO DANCE LIKE APES!"

"WITH YOUR LANGLY ARMS, WHO ARE YOU TO TALK?"

"OH RIGHT SORRY, I MEANT TO SAY PRISSY PRINCESSES! APES PROBABLY DANCE BETTER THAN YOU!"

"YOU'RE SUCH A SHALLOWED MINDED--"

"--INCONSIDERATE--"

"--RUDE--"

Jaejoong let out a frustrated yell, pushed Yoochun aside, and stormed out to the driveway into his own car.

"WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, WHY DON'T YOU JUST WRITE YOUR COMEBACKS IN YOUR LYRICS? HUH? OH YEAH, YOU'VE GOT NONE!"

A hand on Yunho's arm belonging to Yoochun signaled him to stop. "Yunho..."

Jaejoong wanted to stay and see what happened between them, but he felt a force pulling him to stay with Jaejoong. Or, the Jaejoong-in-the-past, he concluded. This was a part of his lost memories, right? He watched himself start the car and drive away from the house, broken and sobbing. Jaejoong instantly understood his thoughts. This past-Jaejoong wanted to get away from everything. To run away, to escape. He wanted to stop hurting. 

The car entered the highway. Jaejoong's view was blurry from non-stop tears. His eyes stung with the salty fluid. The car accelerated, beginning to push pass the speed limit. Jaejoong didn't notice. His heart was wounded by betrayal, his ears ringing from Yunho's harsh comments. Yunho...he hated him. No--he still loved him. But it hurt so much. Why did Yunho have to lie to him? Just yesterday..

*    *    *

It was a bright sunny day and Jaejoong was in a park. He was laughing, his fingers entwined with long, delicate fingers belonging to a taller man. Jaejoong looked up at the grinning Yunho. His smile was so wide, so bright, it lit up the entire world. And his almond eyes were filled with his joyfulness. It seemed the perfect moment, one that you could capture in a photograph and feel the happiness and warmth flood through the printed picture. He felt happy, but there was a slight tugging at his heart. Jaejoong stopped. Yunho stopped. He heart felt even heavy--nervous as he reached out to take Yunho's other hand.

"Yunho?"

"Hm?" There was that smile again. Jaejoong looked up into Yunho's eyes, losing himself in the chocolate orbs.

"I...like you...I have for a long time now. Can you...will you accept my love?"

Jaejoong watched as the light in Yunho's eyes faded. A bit of his hope dropped when he felt him freeze. Yunho forced a smile, "I...I like you too, Jaejoong. But I don't--well I mean--could you give me some time to give you a reply?"

Not knowing what to say, Jaejoong simply nodded. He pasted on a smile, "Of course!"

*    *    *

Jaejoong blinked away more tears. These memories hurt. He thought of Yoochun, who had torn Yunho away from Junha. It was Yoochun who he had first confided in. And Yoochun was so encouraging and supportive. He also believed that Yunho would feel the same for Jaejoong. He felt a pang in his heart. What have I done? I just ruined a 15 year friendship with Yunho. I can't possibly try to start over; things would be too awkward. And that fight. He never knew Yunho felt that way about his music. No--those were just angry words from a fight that didn't mean anything...did it? He let out shout of frustration. Yunho still lied. Why didn't he just give an answer to Jaejoong right away then? That selfish bastard. This time, angry tears pooled in his eyes. Alright. He'd leave the dorm. Anything, if it meant he'd never have to see Yunho again. And Yoochun...he felt bad, but he'd have to ask Yoochun to help him move his things out--Jaejoong's eyes widened as he stepped on the brakes. Tires screeched and rubbed against the asphalt road, leaving marks on the highway. The last thing Jaejoong saw was a large truck merging lanes in front of him.

 

Jaejoong woke up in a hospital. Yunho, Changmin, Junsu and Yoochun were gathered around him, concern in their eyes. They all let out a breath of relief when he noticed he was conscious. Yoochun spoke up first, "Hyung! What happened? I got home and I found you passed out on the ground. I couldn't wake you up, so I called the hospital and had you taken there."

Jaejoong looked around at them. His lips curled into a smile, "And so we're back where we were a few months ago."

"Hyung, this isn't funny..seriously. Are you feeling all right?"

Nodding Jaejoong sat up, "I'm not sure how I passed out, but I do know that I regained my memories." He noticed Yunho and Yoochun stiffen. Unsure whether he was ready to talk to Yunho he asked, "May I talk to Yoochun in private?"

Yoochun nodded, "Of course." He gestured for his hyungs and Junsu to leave. As they filed out the room, Jaejoong again noticed Yunho lingering behind as if wanting to say something, then deciding against it when he finally stepped out the door.

"Yoochun..I think I remember the day of the accident. Yunho and I..we were fighting right?" Jaejoong asked.

Yoochun was quiet for a moment, "Yes."

Jaejoong waited as he continued, "Actually, we all thought..since you woke up not remembering anything..it would be best to have it stay that way because--"

"I know, our fight was pretty bad."

Silence filled the air.

"Yoochun..I think Junha was there too."

"...yes...she was."

"Is that why you didn't want her in the house?"

"...yes.."

Jaejoong was crestfallen, "So, she really is Yunho's girlfriend...I think I forgot everything and everyone that was related to that day. It probably hurt too much to remember..."

"Hyung, I talked to Yunho afterwards. When you were still in your coma. I think...I think you should give Yunho a chance to explain. Just hear him out. He's made mistakes, but I think he deserves a chance. You don't know how awful he felt each day afterwards."

Jaejoong thought for a moment and nodded, "Okay."

"I'll stay right outside okay? You can call for me whenever you like."

"Okay."

And with that Yoochun stepped outside, swapping places with Yunho. The latter made a hesitant entrance and was unable to meet Jaejoong's eyes. Jaejoong realized, even after the memory loss and the fight...he still had feelings for Yunho. The way he looked so down made him want to run over and crush his worries in a warm hug. "Yunho-ah," he asked softly, "Are you okay?"

He watched as the taller man broke down crying, "Jaejoong--I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry!"

Jaejoong climbed out of the hospital bed and enveloped Yunho into his arms, "Shh, it's okay. Fights always happen. Nasty things that people don't mean are said and people get hurt, but in the end it's alright."

Yunho continued sobbing, "I--'' his voice cracked, "I thought that would be the last time I'd see you after that happened. And our last conversation was a fight--" 

"It's over okay? We can talk things out and everything will be fine." Jaejoong comforted Yunho, wondering if indeed everything will be fine.

When the younger male finally calmed, Jaejoong sat them both down on the hospital bed. He wasted no time and went straight to the point.

"About that answer..you don't need to give it to me anymore. But I'd like for you to explain why you didn't just tell me you had a girlfriend."

Yunho took a breath, "That's a misunderstanding and a mistake on my part. Junha--I assume you remember her now--she was interested in me. She found where I worked and took on a job there as well, in hopes that we'd become closer. And...I knew that she liked me, but I never really told her to stop. I did reject her, but I didn't push her away. And she kept on making advances toward me." He paused, "On that day you confessed, I wanted to say yes. I really did. But I was just unsure whether I'd be a good match for you--I mean, I really didn't--and still don't want to ruin our friendship if I made a mistake with being with you. So that's why I hesitated. And I also wanted to tell Junha to back off before I said yes to you. I wanted to actually tell her that I wasn't interested in her at all."

"Then why...were you kissing her?"

Yunho frowned, "That's the misunderstanding. She forced the kiss on me! I...I told Yoochun afterward, when you drove off."

"Do you still meet up with her?"

"What? No! I don't! Of course not! After that happened, I've been avoiding her as much as possible."

Jaejoong nodded. He looked as his lap, "And...I have to apologize too. I said things I shouldn't have that day. You're a great dancer, and I love your style."

Yunho laughed, "Let's just forget about everything we shouted at each other that day, deal? I said harsh things too. Your music is beautiful. And your lyrics are very poetic. They have artistic sense and flow perfectly. Please don't think otherwise."

He earned a light chuckle from Jaejoong, "Deal."

They sat together in comfortable silence, guilt and pain off their chests. "Jaejoong?"

"Yes Yunho?"

"I don't know if it'll matter to you, but at work I asked to be placed as far away from Junha as possible. My boss guaranteed that we'd never be working on the same groups, collaboration or even time slots."

"That's alright, what happened is between you and her."

Jaejoong heard Yunho's low chuckle, "Honestly, she really is unnerving sometimes."

Hearing his own first impression of Junha, Jaejoong smiled.

"Jaejoong?"

Jaejoong turned to face Yunho.

"Yes."

He blinked, "What?"

"Yes."

Jaejoong was confused, "Yes what?" He grinned, "Are you hearing things now? I didn't ask a question or anything."

A faint blush appeared on Yunho's cheeks, "Yes, I'll gladly accept your love...if you're still willing to give me that. And I'd be honored if you could accept my stupid, but crazy love for you."

Jaejoong blinked. His heart skipped a beat, "Yes! I--Yes Yunho!" He pounced on Yunho, wrapping his arms around Yunho's long neck. His own heart racing because of their closeness and his confession, Yunho s his arms around Jaejoong's waist and buried his head in the crook of his neck, taking in his scent mixed with the subtle smell of hospital antiseptics. Jaejoong pulled back and looked into Yunho's eyes, again losing himself in a sea of dark chocolate. Yunho took this chance to lean down and press a gentle and adoring kiss on the shorter male's forehead. 

Suddenly the door flew open. Changmin and Junsu stormed in with Yoochun following behind.

"See? I told you they'd make up! Hah and you said they'd still be talking." Changmin scoffed at Yoochun who stuck his tongue out in reply.

"Pay up Chunnie, we won!" 

Yoochun grumbled and pulled out a few bills, splitting them between his lover and Changmin.

Yunho and Jaejoong laughed at the exchange, glad that life finally seemed back to normal. Yunho smirked. Well actually, it was even better than before now. He glanced at his best-friend-now-boyfriend. No, life was perfect. And it would remain that way even throughout all the fights and disagreements they may have in the future, because Yunho knew that they would love each other unconditionally to the very end.

"Hey Junsu. Let's bet how soon it'll be before they start at it."

"Two weeks!"

"No way! Three days at most. You can tell by how disgustingly adoringly they're already looking at each other."

Yoochun cut in, "I'd say five days. I mean--remember us Junsu?" He sent Junsu a playful wink.

"YAH! Guys we're still here!" Yunho reminded them, slightly peeved.

"Hyung, that's not going to make any difference." Changmin stated matter-of-factly.

Unfortunately, Yunho's unconditional love did not apply to Changmin.

Outside the room and down the hall, a nurse wondered whether she should call for help when the sound of running footsteps echoed through the hallway, followed by cries of:

"SHIM CHANGMIN, WHEN WILL YOU LEARN TO RESPECT YOUR HYUNGS?"

"WHEN YOU DECIDE TO BOW DOWN TO ME!"

Jaejoong laughed along with Junsu and Yoochun. Nothing had changed at all.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yay! I have finished my first fanfiction! I hope you've all enjoyed Forgotten Memories! It's been a great experience and journey :D Thank you so much for reading, subscribing and upvoting; especially to those who've been waiting those 2- 3 years for me to update the fic. I hope that I'll be able to give you guys even more enjoyable(and well planned) fanfictions in the future.

Do leave comments :D I enjoy reading them--they are my writing fuel. ^^;

Again, thank you guys so much! <3

 

A/N: Per the request of Kattan69 and for those who are wondering what happened afterwards between Jaejoong and Junha, I'll be working on an epilogue to Forgotten Memories.