Heaven

Heaven

 

 

 

Dara rushed out of the room and stormed into the bathroom while embracing the album while her eyes were damp with tears. The people around her were just too overwhelming, too suffocating. She couldn’t stand it there.

 

Jiyong sighed and followed Dara to bathroom only to find her looking at their photo album. He wanted to reproach Dara but he didn’t have the heart to do so. “Dara-ah, why did you run? The people downstairs were just being nice.” He said chiding Dara for her behavior. But Dara just sobbed harder and kept on looking at the pictures.

 

“Jiyong, do you still remember this picture?” She asked, Jiyong took a few a steps and looked at the picture Dara was pointing at. Jiyong made a face, “Of all the pictures we have together, this is the picture you hate most.” She smiled a little but there was still tears streaking down her eyes.

 

“Of course, how could I ever forget that picture? You knew that I was proposing already, but you kept on pretending on having no idea and each time I bring it up you would distract me and whatnot. I was about to give up when you took that picture and you wrote on the Polaroid telling me that you would be Mrs. Kwon. But still doesn’t excuse you for annoying me all day.”

 

But Dara just ignored him and kept on looking at their pictures.

 

“Oh here’s another picture, this was on our first anniversary! And you wore that silly pirate suit.”

 

“It wasn’t silly! I looked hot as a pirate. Anyway Dara, there are a lot of people downstairs, let’s go babe.”

 

But Dara just ignored him.

Aigooooooooooo. Dara can be so stubborn. He really hates it whenever Dara does this kind of thing. He hated it most whenever he would take pictures of him. As Dara kept on looking at their pictures she would chuckle sometimes at one of those stolen shots of him.

 

“You would always hate whenever I take unflattering pictures of you. . . But you do know that I can’t help it right Ji?”

 

“Yeah, I know that you’re my number one stalker.” He said jokingly but Dara didn’t crack a smile. He looked blankly at the pictures and started crying. At times like this, Jiyong can’t help but wish to reach out to her. But he can’t. He just can’t.

 

“Aigoo, I know you hate it whenever I cry. You would always have that constipated look on your face whenever you see me cry, that’s why whenever I feel like I want to cry I would hide somewhere and come back smiling. But I can’t smile right now, I can’t. There are a lot of people downstairs and I can’t face them.” Dara looked down at the pictures and cried again.

 

“Dara why are you so shy to other people?”

 

“Ji, I was never a crowd person. Its always been hard for me and it always will be.”

 

“Dara I know it’s hard. . .”

 

“But I would always feel encouraged to talk to other people whenever you’re on my side. You would always tell me—“ Jiyong shook his head and smiled at his wife’s silliness. “Star, you’re my heaven. So show me that dazzling smile that made me fall for you a million times.” They said together. “You know Ji, it would always boost my courage to face anything. As long as you were by my side, I felt invincible.” Tears prickled on Jiyong’s eyes. He should have known, now it would be hard to leave her. “And whenever you sing me to sleep, I would feel like I’m the luckiest girl alive.” An invincible hand tugged Dara’s heart, she hugged tightly the album as if her life depended on it. As if, if she won’t hold tightly on the album, her memories with Jiyong would fade.

 

Chaerin entered the bathroom and found her unnie crying filled with grief. She can’t stand seeing her unnie cry like this. She saw how much she tried to be strong during while Jiyong was battling with Leukemia, but in each time when Jiyong was having one of those blackouts’s Dara’s façade would crack. And just when they thought Jiyong would finally pull through, he was gone. Chaerin consoled Dara but to no avail.

 

Jiyong tried to hug Dara, but he was nothing but air. He was gone. He doesn’t belong there anymore. But he can’t just leave, not yet.

 

“Dara I would always watch over you. I would always love you and if I was given a chance to live again, I would find you and love you all over again. Just wait for me. In our next life, I promise, I’ll be healthy. I’ll make sure of that. You’ll always be my Star, my only heaven.”

 

Jiyong felt someone beside him. It was his grandfather. “Abeoji . . .”

 

“Come on Jiyong, it’s time to go. You’ll meet her again.”

 

He'll make sure of that. "I'll see you on our next lives Dara. I love you."