Woohyun's Birthday (part 1)

Babysitting with the Stars

On his birthday morning, Woohyun woke with his arms firmly wrapped around Sunggyu’s waist. Woohyun thought that it was pretty much the best way to wake up on his birthday. He smiled to himself and buried his nose into Sunggyu’s back.

“Mmm…Woohyunnie?” Sunggyu mumbled sleepily.

“Morning hyung~” Woohyun hummed softly, before kissing the back of Sunggyu’s neck.

Sunggyu rolled over to face Woohyun, and slipped his arms around his neck.

“Morning birthday boy.” Sunggyu said in a hoarse voice, while wearing a sleepy smile.

Woohyun grinned and closed his eyes, as Sunggyu leaned in for a kiss, but when he didn’t feel anything, he opened his eyes again, to see Sunggyu sitting up.

“Where’re you going hyung?” Woohyun pouted.

“I have to go get ready.” Sunggyu replied nonchalantly.

“B-But…it’s my birthday.” Woohyun grabbed onto Sunggyu’s wrist. “You’re not supposed to go on my birthday…I thought we were going to spend the day together.”

“Sorry.” Sunggyu smiled apologetically, as he leaned forward and ran a hand through Woohyun’s messy bed hair. “When I come back, we can go out for dinner with Hyun Su ok?”

“No!” Woohyun protested and pulled Sunggyu back down onto the bed. “I won’t let you go.” He murmured, as he straddled Sunggyu, and pinned the older’s wrists down above his head.

“W-Woohyun…”

“Don’t leave.” Woohyun begged, and then bit his lip and blushed. “I-I’ll do anything you want me to do.”

Sunggyu sighed. “I-I can’t—.”

“I-I’ll give you a !” Woohyun exclaimed with pink cheeks.

“W-What…?” Sunggyu paused, temporarily remembering what Sungyeol had told him about letting Woohyun be the one to make the first move, and then shook his head. “N-No! I really can’t do this right now. I’m going to be late so get off.” Woohyun rolled off him, completely defeated, as he lay on the bed with his face smashed into the pillow.

Sunggyu felt bad to see Woohyun like that, but it had to be done. Sunggyu had already made secret arrangements for the two of them to celebrate Woohyun’s birthday later at a hotel. And he had to go finish up some work first, so that they would have the whole weekend to themselves. He knew that no matter how sad Woohyun seemed now, it would all be worth it later when he sees Sunggyu’s surprise.

++

“Happy birthday gross ahjussi~” Hyun Su hugged Woohyun’s leg.

“Thanks…” Woohyun murmured, as he attempted to force a smile. He was in the kitchen, stirring up some breakfast for Hyun Su with a glazed over expression. It was as though someone had replaced his small, cute, sparkling eyes with those of a dead fish.

“I got ahjussi a present.” Hyun Su stated.

“R-Really?” Woohyun’s expression brightened slightly, as Hyun Su handed him a small square box. “You didn’t have to get me anything buddy.” He patted Hyun Su on the head before opening up the box. It was a small ceramic gold star with the word ‘Ahjussi’ carved into it. “What’s this?”

“I-I made it at the sleepover.” Hyun Su told him, with a shy glance. “It’s like the one in your house…Do you like it?”

“L-Like it…?” There were tears welling up in Woohyun’s eyes. “I love it! Thank you!” He picked Hyun Su up and hugged the life out of the six-year-old. “At least I still have you Hyun Su!”

“Ah, but ahjussi, I have to go to day care today…”

“…What?” Woohyun’s smiled faded. “Why?! You don’t need to go to that place! Just stay here with gross ahjussi ok?!”

“But today’s show and tell.” Hyun Su pointed out. “I can’t miss it.”

++

“Dongwoo! Sungyeollie!” Woohyun yelled into his phone, that afternoon. “Why don’t you jerks answer your phones?! Shouldn’t you at least call your best friend on his birthday?!” He sulked, as he rolled around on the couch in what could only be looked at as a child throwing a tantrum. “I don’t want your stupid texts! Why can’t you pick up the phone and talk?!” He whined as he hugged a throw pillow to his chest. “Why is everyone ignoring me today? Why is everyone leaving me alone?” He stared up at the ceiling, deciding that he hated everyone, when his phone rang. He immediately sat up and made a grab for the buzzing device.

“Hello?!”

“Hey.”

“Who’s this?!”

“It’s Myungsoo.”

“Myungsoo-yah!”

“Happy Birthday.”

“Thank you! You know I’m so happy you called! I don’t know why it seems like everyone’s ignoring me today. It’s just like in those TV shows and movies, where everyone ignores the guy on his birthday, but then it ends up they were all planning a party for him all along! Is this like that? Are you guys planning me a party?!”

There was a pause.

“…I have to go. Bye.”

“Wait! No don’t—!”

 But it was too late. Myungsoo had already hung up.

Woohyun sunk back down on the couch and pouted. “I’m so lonely...umma. That’s it! I’ll call umma!” He called up his mom, thinking that she wouldn’t be someone who would ever reject his calls.

“Hello? Woohyun?”

“Umma! I’m so lonely!”

“Didn’t I just call you fifteen minutes ago to wish you for your birthday?” Woohyun’s mom asked.

“So?! Do you have something better to do than talk to your precious and adorable son?!”

“Yes actually.” Mrs. Nam sighed. “I’m at work, and the restaurant is more busy than usual—.”

“But umma! Everyone’s ignoring me!”

“Oh honey, I’m sure they’re not ignoring you.” Mrs. Nam sighed. “What about Dongwoo-yah, and Sungyeol-ah?”

“They won’t answer my calls!”

“What about Sunggyu?”

“Y-You know about him?!”

“Of course! I watch your show!” Mrs. Nam sighed. “And besides, you’ve been obsessed with him for years!”

“I-I’m not obsessed!”

“Oh please. For a good amount of time, I thought you liked him…you know liked him.”

Woohyun gulped, and laughed nervously. “D-Don’t be silly mom!”

“I’m sorry, I really have to go sweetie. Are you going to be ok?”

“Yeah I guess…” Woohyun sighed. “Ok bye…” After he hung up, he showered and changed, and then left the apartment.

If everyone was just going to ignore him, then he would find his own ways to have fun all on his own.

++

“A-And they won’t call me back!” Woohyun sobbed, as he buried his head in Sungjong’s thin chest. “Why do they hate me Jongie?!”

Sungjong sighed and patted the older man’s head. “They don’t hate you hyung…”

Woohyun had wandered around for a while, and stopped in a quaint little café, where Sungjong just so happened to work part time. Woohyun immediately pulled Sungjong to sit with him, and proceeded to describe how horrible his birthday was going.

A couple walked past them, and gave them weird looks, but Sungjong just shot them a threatening glare that caused them to run for the hills.

The truth was Sungjong was the one who had helped Sunggyu plan out Woohyun’s special birthday evening and even got him a discount at a fancy hotel, because he used to work there.

And besides, without Sungjong’s help, Sunggyu would’ve probably thought it was ok, to actually just go for dinner and do nothing else.

But of course, the whole thing was a secret, so Sungjong couldn’t say anything about it, and had to play along with Woohyun’s depressing delusions.

 “Look hyung, didn’t Sunggyu hyung say that the two of you and Hyun Su would go for dinner after he came back?”

“W-Well yeah…but still.” Woohyun mumbled, as he sat up and took a sip of his coffee. “I wanted to…” He looked down and bit his lip. “I guess it doesn’t matter anymore…”

++

After Woohyun returned to the empty apartment, he lay on the couch, and lazily flipped through the TV channels, until he eventually got bored, and went to the bedroom to take a nap.

“Woohyunnie…wake up sleepy head.”

Woohyun opened his eyes to see Sunggyu shyly smiling down at him.

He frowned, and rolled over.

“Leave me alone.” Woohyun muttered, his back to Sunggyu.

“Yah, get up.” Sunggyu nudged him. “Don’t you want to go for your birthday dinner?”

“I’m not hungry.” And as if on queue, his stomach started to growl rather loudly.

“You sure about that?” Sunggyu chuckled.

Woohyun sat up in a hasty manner, and pointed an angry finger at Sunggyu.

“I’m very mad with you hyung!” He exclaimed, and then paused, when he noticed Sunggyu was donned in a sleek slim fitting tuxedo with a skinny black tie. “Why are you wearing that…?”

Sunggyu grinned. “Here.” He handed Woohyun a red heart shaped box of chocolates and a single red rose.

“What is this…?” Woohyun blinked.

“It’s your birthday gift.” Sunggyu explained, and the rubbed the back of his neck, shyly. “W-Well not the whole gift…more like a preview of what’s to come.”

“I don’t…” Woohyun stared at him wide eyed. “I don’t understand.”

“Just put this on.” Sunggyu handed Woohyun an outfit similar to his own on a hanger.

Woohyun was confused but did as he was told, and wandered into the bathroom, to put on the suit. When he came out, Sunggyu helped him tie the black bow tie, around his neck.

++

“Hyung…” Woohyun asked, as they got in Sunggyu’s car. “Where are we going? What’s happening? Where’s Hyun Su?”

“Dongwoo and Hoya are babysitting him.” Sunggyu answered, as he turned the key into the ignition, firing up his car.

“But…I thought we were going to have dinner with Hyun Su—.”

“We can do that another day.” Sunggyu explained, and then bit his lip and blushed slightly. “Tonight…i-it’s just you and me.”

“F-For real?!” Woohyun gasped. “Wait is this why no one would answer my calls the whole day?”

“Yeah, sorry.” Sunggyu grinned. “I wanted to surprise you, and to be honest, they all seem like a bunch of blabber mouths, so I told them not to answer your calls.”

Woohyun looked down at his heart shaped box of chocolates and grinned.

“Aren’t these chocolates that high school girls give to their boyfriends on Valentine's Day?”

“Yeah, that’s why I got them cheaper.” Sunggyu joked.

“But doesn’t that mean that you’re my girlfriend hyung?” Woohyun laughed.

Sunggyu pouted. “I-I’m not a girl stupid! I’m your boyfriend! Boyfriend!”

++

Sunggyu drove them to a deserted parking lot. But it wasn’t just any parking lot.

“This place is…” Woohyun sat up. It was the park Woohyun had brought Sunggyu to, the first time they went out together.

Their secret place.

Sunggyu got out a guitar case from the backseat and took Woohyun’s hand in his as they walked across the field. As they approached the little hill nestled in between the flowers, Woohyun could see a patchwork blanket laid out on the lawn, with a picnic basket on top.

“Hyung this is...you didn’t do all this did you?”

“Of course I did!” Sunggyu pouted. “Well…I might have had a little help from Sungjong…”

“Sungjong was in on this too?” Woohyun shook his head in amazement as he sat down on the blanket beside Sunggyu.

“Here.” Sunggyu reached into the basket and pulled out a burger.

“Take out?” Woohyun laughed. “Then what’s with the basket?”

Sunggyu shrugged. “Sungjong said it looked better than a brown take out bag.”

Woohyun smiled and looked down at his burger. “Hyung this is really too much.”

“What’s too much? We’re wearing fancy suits while eating burgers in the dark in a deserted park. If anything this is too little.” Sunggyu snorted.

“You’re the best.” Woohyun gazed happily at Sunggyu, making the other embarrassed.

“I-I barely did anything dummy…” Sunggyu looked away bashfully. “J-Just eat your burger.” But Woohyun didn’t listen, and instead tackled Sunggyu onto the blanket clad ground.

“Hyung…” Woohyun smile faded, but his eyes had a certain twinkle to them, as if the stars themselves were captured in his gaze.

Sunggyu merely stared up at him, and then reached out a hand to caress Woohyun’s cheek.

“Hyung…” Woohyun leaned closer. “I love you.”

Sunggyu smiled softly, as his thumb Woohyun’s cheek.

“I love you too Woohyunnie.”

They exchanged a warm gaze before Woohyun leaned in and captured Sunggyu’s lips with his own. The kiss wasn’t rushed. It wasn’t too rough or too soft. There wasn’t any hesitance or awkwardness. It was just right. It was perfect.

++

“So, what’d you bring your guitar for?” Woohyun asked, as he munched on a French fry. “Are you going to sing me a song?”

“Actually…yeah.” Sunggyu nodded nervously, as he took the guitar out of the case.

“R-Really?!” Woohyun choked.

“Obviously dummy.” Sunggyu rolled his eyes, as he handed Woohyun a soda. “What else would I bring it for?”

Woohyun’s eyes were dazzling. “This is the best day ever!”

“I-I haven’t even sung yet!” Sunggyu stammered.

“It doesn’t matter. I know its going to be amazing.” Woohyun beamed.

Sunggyu bit his lip and looked down shyly. “I hope…” He began to slowly strum his guitar, and took a deep breath before he started to sing.

“You make me breakfast in bed
When I'm mixed up in my head
You wake me with a kiss
I could get used to this”

“You think I look the best
When my hair is a mess
I can't believe you exist
I could get used to this”

Sunggyu looked up at Woohyun with a shy smile.

“Because I know you're too good to be true
I must have done something good to meet you”

The strumming became more energetic, and so did Sunggyu’s expression.

“'Cause you wrote my name across your hand
When I freak you understand
There is not a thing you miss
And I could get used to this”

”I'm feeling it comin' over me
With you it all comes naturally
Lost the reflex to resist
And I could get used to this”


”You love the songs I write”

Woohyun smiled brightly at that part.


There must be some kind of twist
But I could get used to this”

“Because you listen to me when I'm depressed
It doesn't seem to make you like me less”

”'Cause you wrote my name across your hand
When I freak you understand
There is not a thing you miss
And I could get used to this”

”I'm feeling it comin' over me
With you it all comes naturally
Lost the reflex to resist
And I could get used to this”

”If there's a dark side to you I haven't seen it
Every good thing you do feels like you mean it”

”'Cause you wrote my name across your hand
When I freak you understand
There is not a thing you miss
And I could get used to this”

”I'm feeling it comin' over me
With you it all comes naturally
Lost the reflex to resist
And I could get used to this”

 

Sunggyu let out a small contented sigh, before glancing at Woohyun to see his reaction. He panicked, when he saw Woohyun was on the verge of tears. He put his guitar down and scooted closer to Woohyun. “W-Why are you crying?”

“Y-You…” Woohyun swallowed. “I-It’s me who can’t believe you exist…a-and I-I’m n-not…I-I don’t deserve all this…” He stopped as he was too choked up to continue speaking.

“What are you talking about?” Sunggyu gently the younger man’s hair. “Of course you deserve it.” Woohyun shook his head, as he failed to control his tears from coming out. “Yah…why are you so dumb sometimes?” Sunggyu sighed, as he wiped a tear from Woohyun’s eye. “Don’t you even know how happy you make me?”

“R-Really?” Woohyun hiccupped.

“Obviously…” Sunggyu smiled warmly, as he leaned his forehead to Woohyun’s. “I love you stupid…”

“B-But why…?” Woohyun stammered.

“Huh?”

“…W-Why do you love me?” Woohyun questioned, after calming down a bit.

Sunggyu frowned and flicked Woohyun’s forehead.

“What was that for?” Woohyun pouted, as he clutched his forehead.

“Didn’t you listen to the song?” Sunggyu explained. “I love you because you make me breakfast in bed!”

“But I only did that once…” Woohyun pointed out, while wiping his eyes. “And that was because you refused to get out of bed and eat, and you were basically being a lazy .”

“Well yeah…” Sunggyu shrugged. “But the point was you still brought me breakfast—and did you just call me a lazy ?!”

“Yeah.” Woohyun grinned slightly. “Maybe I did~”

“Yah! You want to get beat up on your birthday?” Sunggyu threatened.

“You can’t hit me on my special day.” Woohyun flashed a confident grin.

“Why can’t I?” Sunggyu challenged. “And besides…aren’t you a masochist or something? If anything this’ll be fun for you.”

“N-No it won’t!” Woohyun backed away. “I already told you hyung! I’m not into that stuff!”

-----------------------------------------------

Gosh this was a major cheese fest...I'm sorry if this made anyone barf.

This is the song Sunggyu sang (except he sang an acoustic version, obviously): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJCX-UAeH2Y Idk, it was too hard to find a song that I thought fit lyrically. It took me more than half an hour to finally decide on a song OTL