Strangers

My Best Friend

 

As I was walking home, I hear three people closely behind me talking loudly with slurry words, probably coming home from having shots.

            One of them said “Hey guys, look at this! This is why our country never progresses. When the homeless gets money, they spend it on what? To drink? NO. He dies his hair blonde.”

            I momentarily stopped in my tracks. I knew I was the only blonde-haired boy walking around at this hour.

            “Oh look he noticed us! YA! Boy come here, I’ll give you extra money to die your hair green!”

            I continued walking to avoid trouble.

            “Jiyoon, come here you little .” But that’s when I turned around.

            “Oppa, let go of me!”   All I could do was stare. The other two accompanying the man who called me homeless was Jiyoon and…. Hyunjung.

            “YA! You guys stop it. Spare this minor a good show alright. I bet he hasn’t even watched on a PC before.” The first guy said.

            Regardless of what the other said, Hyunjung continued to kiss Jiyoon disgustingly, touching her body. Jiyoon struggled to get away from him. I could feel my eyes getting wet.

            “YOU TWO STOP MAKING OUT! IT’S MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE!” The first guy said again. They stopped and stared at him, then me.

            “ZELO!” I shuddered even more when she called my name.

            “Who are you calling Zelo? Don’t be nuts, Jiyoon. After just a few years, you change the way you call him? Well I can’t blame you. You’ve always been distracted when I’m around.” Hyunjung said.

            She was finally able to break away from him. “So aside from being a filthy bastard, you’re also crazy, aren’t you?! I just met Zelo this afternoon.”

            “And you’re a brainless btch. That boy’s your loser friend.”

            She stared at Hyunjung in disbelief. Her face slowly changed to a painful expression. Her eyes filled with tears. Her stares bore holes into me. Then I looked at her from head to toe. Her knees were about to break down and she was shaking too much. She took hesitant steps towards me.

            “Junhongie oppa?”

            I could feel my heart beat getting faster.

            “Is that really you?” I tried to nod fully. “If you’re really my Junhongie then smile for me.”

            I did and just a few seconds later she was hugging me, sobbing on my chest. There wasn’t a single inch in between us. I couldn’t manage to say a word.

            “Oppa, why didn’t you tell me it was you? Do you know how much I worried when you suddenly disappeared? Your parents wouldn’t tell me anything. You let me worry for the past 3 years! And all for what? Because I said the truth? How can you be so cruel to me? Do you even know how much I need you?”

            “Mianhae, Jiyoonie. I was so childish. As time passed by, I realized you needed a life, too. One that didn’t include me. But I’m glad to hear that you need me, still. I honestly couldn’t tell you this afternoon who I really was because I’m still ashamed of myself for leaving you. I know I wasn’t the best person for you and I wouldn’t be able to protect you either. But now that the time is right, and so that I wouldn’t have anymore regrets, I’m gonna say it already…. I love you.”