Moment of Truth 3

Gifts
Yamapi was explaining to Naomi why they were keeping Maki when they heard the scream coming from the next room. It awfully sounded like Maki’s voice. Heart beating wildly, he immediately went to Ryo’s room, Naomi trailing after him. He found Maki at the corner, shocked and fear etched on her beautiful face. A few meters away from her, Massu and Ryo were both gaping at her.

“What happened here?” Yamapi said.

“I don’t know she just started screaming here.” Ryo said. Yamapi heard a tinge of panic in his voice.

“Maki?”

The look that she gave him was filled with terror and if anything, she moved even further to the corner, away from him. That’s the last reaction he wanted to get from her. Hurt and feeling lost, he turned to Naomi who looked helplessly back. She too doesn’t know what to do. She finally gives in under the collective gazes of the three guys in the room.

She reluctantly walks towards Maki, raising her hand to try to comfort her. It got worse.

Maki flinched under her touch and then she started to cry.
Panic stricken, Yamapi immediately went to her and cupped her face. “What’s wrong?” he can’t hide the trembling in his voice. They were all troubled by her reactions. He doesn’t know what what’s happening to her and it really frightened him to see her like this.

She looked up at him with tear stained eyes and he felt his heart flip over. He used his gift to calm her, to ease her fears. Slowly, he felt her relax under his touch, felt her heartbeat slowing down.

Then she spoke. “It’s just that when he touched me-“ here she gave Ryo a frightened look, “he- his touch felt hot. I- I mean it burned me.” Yamapi furrowed his eyebrows at this. “and h-her touch, her hands feels like a block of ice.” Maki stammered, looking at Naomi.

He turned to them, his look accusing. “I didn’t do anything.” Ryo and Naomi both said in unison.

But Maki carried on. “And when Massu touched me, I- I saw strange and different colors, I- I don’t- I- its scary.”

They all gaped at her. What does this mean? It’s like she can feel their gifts.

Yamapi gave Ryo a meaningful look, a look that says that he’s going to take care of this, alone.

“Massu, can we borrow your room?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yamapi was sitting on the floor, his back leaning to the side of the bed, Massu’s bed. He looked sideways at Maki who is lying on the bed. He raised and eyebrow when he saw that her eyes are still open and was watching his every move.

He tightened his grip on her hand under the blanket. “I told you to sleep right?”

He brought her here, away from Ryo and the others, so she can rest comfortably and peacefully. He’s still scared to bring her outside. Its Aoi that they were dealing with, no one can be sure when she’s around. This night was packed with frightful happenings and everyone was distraught enough already. They can clear this whole incident up after everyone has their own fair share of rest.

“I can’t sleep.” She said.

“Its almost four in the morning, we still have classes later today.” He shifted in his seat so that now he was facing her but he never relinquished his grip on her hand. “Are you still scared?”

Maki nodded.

“Don’t be, maybe what you felt earlier must be a shadow of their gifts. I know Ryo-chan and Naomi wouldn’t really hurt you.”

“Must be,” she quietly said. “The pain didn’t come from the part where he touched me; it’s as if the pain came from inside me. I don’t know I can’t really understand it. I just panicked earlier.”

Yamapi saw their intertwined fingers. “What do you felt when I’m touching you?”

“Nothing,” then she smiled. “I just can’t hear everyone’s thoughts when you’re holding me.”

He smiled too. “You’re really something ne~ Maki-chan. Even if you can’t hear our thoughts, you can still see through us.” Then he noticed the troubled look in her eyes. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s Tegoshi,”

“What’s up with Tegoshi?”

“Every time I made contact with him,” she started.

Yamapi felt the corner of his left eye twitching. Every time, it means more than once.

“Every time he touches me, I always receive some images… some…” Maki falters.

“What images?”

“I don’t know. When I made contact with him those images keep on flashing in my mind. There was one with Ayu crying and screaming and there was also this one where she was laughing with Ryo.”

So, she had seen it all through him, Yamapi thinks. That’s why she knows something. “Tell me everything that you saw.”

Maki can’t look at him straight in the eye. “I can’t.”

“Why?”

“I guess those things are part of his memories. I don’t have the right to…”

“Why? What else did you see? Please Maki tell me everything, it will help us all.”

“Aside from Ayu, I always saw this woman with silver hair and silver wings.” She quietly said.

Yamapi stiffened in his seat. “A woman with silver hair and silver wings?”

Maki nods. “I also remembered seeing a bloodied silver wing, too many blood flowing on the snow and then… and then a hooded man.”

Yamapi’s eye widened at the last thing that she said. A hooded man?
A familiar figure flashed inside his head. A hooded man striking down his father with large strange sword, the same man wounding Kusano… and then… and then it all clicked.

“Maki, I don’t want you troubling yourself over this. Sleep now, we’re going to take care of this later today, okay?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryo sighed as he looked at the clocked on his table, 20 minutes to five. Sooner or later, the sun will rise and he didn’t even catch a single sleep that night. Who wouldn’t? after all the things that happened tonight, first, that Sawajiri-girl turning up almost dead, then Tegoshi with almost the same state with her and the last Maki, screaming from something that he really doesn’t understand.
The side of his head was throbbing from all the thinking he did for this night. Aoi’s here, Tegoshi’s keeping something from them with that Sawajiri-girl and Maki… yes Maki. She is so mysterious; his head aches whenever he thinks about her. It doesn’t help either that earlier while they were patrolling the school grounds, Shige’s gift malfunction again, making Koyama cry in worry that he had to call Massu for help.
Its good that everything is peaceful now, Shige’s back in his room, unharmed. Massu’s sleeping with Koyama since Yamapi borrowed his room with Maki. He doesn’t know what those two are doing right now; he hopes that they were sleeping rather than doing something else. Naomi was sleeping in the next room with Erika. Ah… Naomi, she’s been a great help tonight, if not for her they would have lose Tegoshi by now. Anyway, as much as he was thankful for her, he still doesn’t want her to be involved in this mess. He doesn’t want to drag more people to the trouble that they’re in.

The door opened and Ryo looked up to see Yamapi entering the room.

“How is she?”

“She’s sleeping. Look Ryo, I have to tell you some-“ Yamapi stopped short. His eyes narrowed as he looked past Ryo’s shoulders.

Ryo turned around and saw that Tegoshi’s eyes are finally open.

“Glad you’re finally awake.” Yamapi said in a strange calm tone that Ryo recognized as the voice he always use whenever he’s angry, relieved, worried and happy, all at the same time.

Tegoshi groans before he sits up.

“What happened?” Yamapi leaned on the wall and looked straight at him.

Tegoshi is silent for a moment before he speaks. “It’s Aoi.” He said simply.

“Why didn’t you tell us that you’re going out? Do you know how worried we’ve been searching for you?”

“I’m sorry, I’m not being careful in my actions.”

“Naomi saw your wings.” Ryo said.

Tegoshi lowers his head.

“What was all that about? Why didn’t you tell us?”

“There’s no need to tell, it’s just a color of a wing.” Tegoshi said defensively.

“If its ordinary wings then we could let it pass, heck we don’t even care but Shige told us everything about silver wings. He also said that only girls could have those kind of wings. If I hadn’t known or seen better, I would have believe that you’re a girl pretending to be a boy, but you’re not. Care to explain everything to us?” Ryo said.

“Would you believe if I say that I was born with these wings?” Tegoshi said. He’s playing with the hem of his blanket.

“Shige already said that-“

“Why?” Yamapi interrupted him. “What’s your connection to the temple?”

Tegoshi didn’t speak, still playing with the hem of the blanket. He’s tugging and twisting it. Ryo noticed that something was shining in his eyes.

“You know you can tell us everything right?” Yamapi quietly said.

Tegoshi stopped on twisting and tugging the blanket but he still kept his head down.

“So tell us the real deal behind your expedition tonight?” Ryo asked. He would let the wing-issue pass for now.

“Is it because of Erika Sawajiri?” Yamapi probed when Tegoshi still didn’t speak.

Tegoshi looked up at him, startled.

“We found her body at the gate covered in bruises and deep slashes just like how we found you. She’s okay not though, she’s in the next room sleeping.” Yamapi said. “Our guess is that Aoi must’ve got her too and we connect her to your wings and it all clicked.”

“You pretty much figure it all out ne~.” Tegoshi replied dryly.

“It also turned out to be that she’s the same Maiden that Maki had met 2 days ago. That’s why we know that the Erika in the school is a fraud because Maki can hear her thoughts. You saw the both of them earlier right? Didn’t you felt that she’s not a moonchild? Why in the hell did you still go and follow that girl?” Yamapi said, his voice rising a little bit higher.

“Because Erika Sawajiri is a half-moonchild, she’s human at day and moonchild at night. That’s the reason why I didn’t get suspicious until I met her tonight, besides I was too clouded by joy and excitement of finally meeting her that I didn’t notice it right away.” Tegoshi said with a bit of desperation in his voice.

“That’s good, you can finally see the real her because she’s in the next room but first tell me who the hell is she?”

“A childhood friend,” was Tegoshi’s short reply to Ryo’s question.

“So you grew up in the Temple?” Yamapi asked.

Tegoshi evaded his question by not speaking and returning his gaze back to the blanket on his lap.

“Tegoshi please,” Yamapi said pleadingly. “How can we help you if you won’t tell us everything?”

“Did you grow up in there?” Ryo repeats Yamapi’s question, though much firmer this time.

Tegoshi slowly nods, a single tear trailing down on his cheek.

“How did you get in there? I thought they only choose girls-“

“I wasn’t chosen,” Tegoshi cuts him, though he still not looking up at them. “I was born in there.”

“Huh?”

“My mother was the Priestess.” Tegoshi said to the blanket, his voice breaking.

A long silent moment passed while they absorbed this information. Ryo gaped at him, he didn’t know that the boy they saved and cared for was the son of the Priestess. Is it the reason why his wings are silver because he’s the son of the Priestess? He looked up at Yamapi and was surprised to see that he’s not shocked as he was, instead there’s an understanding look in his face as if he already knew this beforehand.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Ryo stormed.

“It’s not that important.”

“It’s not that important?” Ryo fumed. “! You know we’ve been fighting our enemies for ages and if anyone knows more about the, its the Temple, they still prevailed for 3 years even after the Hollow People killed the Royal Family and most of the warriors. Surely, they know something on how to defeat them right?”

“It’s not that important because for one, I don’t really have any knowledge about them, I even failed to save my family.” Tegoshi said angrily, tears now evident on his face. “And for two, I’m cursed, I can’t really do anything.”

“But you’re the one who saved us from Yuihiro right?” Yamapi quietly said.

Tegoshi looked down at his blanket again. “What if I am? I can’t do that again?”

“Then that means you know something, at least one little thing on how to defeat them.”

Tegoshi didn’t speak again. Ryo’s starting to get annoyed by his little habit of not answering to important questions.

“At least one little thing, Tegoshi.” Yamapi repeats. “I know you want to destroy them as much as I do.”

Tegoshi opens his mouth to speak and then close it again. There’s confusion in his face that tells them that he wanted to say something but he can’t.

“I-“ Tegoshi started.

“He doesn’t know anything.” Someone suddenly said. They all looked up at the door and saw Erika standing there. “Temple’s business is for us only. It doesn’t include the Priestess’ family.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tegoshi gaped at his childhood friend. She gave him a fleeting but fierce look that clearly says that he’s not to tell anything about Maki.

She closed the door behind her and gazed at Yamapi with her silver eyes. “Thank you for saving me ne~”

The two other guys stared at her in astonishment. Both are shocked from her abrupt entrance.
Ryo’s the first one to recover from his shock. “What were you doing at our school gate by the way?”

“To warn my Master of course,” Erika said, giving him an appraising look.

“Master? You mean him?” Ryo pointed to Tegoshi at the bed.

She ignored his question. “I believe you have something that is mine.” She said instead.

Ryo yelped as something silver shoot out from his pocket straight to her hand. It is the silver orb. “What the ! That thing burned me!”

“Now you know how it feels like to be burned.”

Ryo regarded her warily.

Tegoshi can’t contain his feelings anymore. “Are you okay? How did she get you? How did she know that I know you? How- did-“

“That b*tch got me at my weakest. She kidnapped me when I was in my human form, when I can’t defend myself.” Erika said with fury in her eyes, clearly she wouldn’t forget what she’s been through with that girl. Then she remembers herself. “Sorry Master, for my harsh words.”

“During in which you divulge some information on the whereabouts of your ‘master’?” Ryo asked.

“I didn’t tell her anything, not even when she’s about to kill me.” Erika said sharply.

“Then how did she get here? She even used your appearance to fool us. That b*tch won’t be able to get Tegoshi if she doesn’t know anything about you two.”

Erika gave him a long steady look. “That girl has the possession of one of the magical things… I don’t know what it is but it’s a magical mirror.”

“A what?” Ryo asked.

“A magical mirror that shows the answers to all of her questions, that’s why when she saw me circling this school, she kidnapped me and the mirror showed my relationship with him.”

“So you’ve been watching us all the time. What did you do to Maki?” Yamapi asked his face is now dead serious.

As if Maki’s name is a magical word, Erika’s demeanor changed. She tilts her head to the side and gives Yamapi a benign smile. “Why? Is there something wrong with talking to her? She’s special. Her gift will be a great use to us.”

Yamapi eyed her warily. “You seek the help of a helpless human? You are a Maiden. Of all the people in here, you are the one who have the connection to the Goddess. Surely you know some ways on how we can destroy the race that’s been killing us all other than dragging an innocent human in our own mess.”

Erika’s expression changed again. “First of all, Maki’s not helpless, she has a gift. Second whether you like it or not Maki’s already involved in this and third,” She raised up his hands to stop Yamapi from interrupting her. “Third, the problem with you people is that you all think that we have all the answers to your problems because we’re in the Temple and the Goddess has a connection with us, but I’m telling you we don’t. Only the Moon Priestess has the real connection to the Goddess, only she can see Her, only she can talk to Her. We’re just there to assist her, even my Young Master here have no idea about the Temple’s real business.”

“Look here,” Yamapi held up his hands too. “We’re not arguing with you, we just wanted to know how to stop our enemies from annihilating us all.”

Erika moved closer to him and looked at him straight in the eye. “If you really want to stop them, then do so. You have the power to do that.”

The look the Yamapi gave her is the one that Tegoshi won’t forget. It’s the first time that he sees such seriousness and fury in his eyes.

Ryo steps up between them. “What do you mean by that?”

Erika smiled at them. “You two kept on pestering my Master about his secrets when it clear that the both of you are keeping your own.”

“Erika?” Tegoshi slowly stands up from the bed. He doesn’t like the atmosphere around here anymore.

Her gaze lingered on Yamapi’s face, completely ignoring Ryo. “I bet your friends haven’t seen your wings yet. Am I right, Ouji-sama?”

Tegoshi stopped on his tracks. His large eyes become even larger as he looked at Yamapi. “Ouji-sama?”

“You’re right, young Master,” Erika said. “He is the long lost Prince.”

______________________________________

whew!!!! part 3 finished!!! sorry for the long wait... i've been doing some other fics as well...^_^

this is the hardest part to write.. its still looked messed up though.. gomene~ ^_^
part 4 will come soon.. i promise..

to those who always comment and read... thank you so much!! i know i'm bad at replying to your comments.. but i'm really grateful to those little comments.. those are the things that make me continue this fic...
chapter 26.. wow... that's long ne~~ thank you so much!!! ^_^