Like a Romantic Novel

Like a Romantic Novel

 

He was here everyday, just like you were, probably even longer before you had started to. There wasn't much you could really say about him; it was a library after all. The boy was just sitting at his usual seat, a few tables down from yours, reading a different book every other day. Sometimes you'd spot him getting some homework done, but that was about it. All you could gather from him was that he loved to read. But you just couldn't take your eyes off of him. You hated to admit it, but maybe it was because of his beautiful flawless face that had you subconsciously staring at him every morning. How many days had you spent wondering how it would have been if you were able to build up the courage to say hi, maybe spark an actual conversation, you don't even remember. It didn't matter anyway, you just stuck with admiring him from your table.

The morning went by quicker than it usually did, probably because you had gotten too focused on getting your report done. Either way, you got it done and over with for the weekend, and that got you through the morning in a good mood.

You head straight for the library when the lunch bell rang, and the librarian was there ready for you arrival.

"Here you go," she slides the book your way, and you thank her as you slide it into your bag. She kept the smile on her face until you had made your way out. You didn't bother to question her, since your stomach had been begging for some food all morning.

If only the library allowed you to bring food, you would never have the need to go to the cafeteria. Unfortunately, you needed your meal, so here you were.

Whatever; you had a brand new book in your hands. You were occupied.

It wasn't a new chapter that welcomed you when you turned to the first page, but a ripped piece of paper instead.

"Going for a cheesy scene here, but don't you like this kind of stuff?"

You question the note, thinking that it wasn't meant for you. Maybe someone had left it here before you borrowed it? But this wasn't the only one. Three other notes fall when you hold the book up.

These were definitely for you.

"You're always reading romantic novels, I see."

"So I'll use this to ask you out for coffee later?"

"I'll see you in the library after school if you'd like to, then. :)"

How..?

Your jaw stays dropped while you stare at the notes with a blank expression. Was this really for you? IT had to be.. These notes wouldn't have been able to survive through the whole process of returning and checking out from the library. It must have been put here pretty recently.. But who would have done this..? You hadn't noticed anyone actually pay any attention to you; much less the books you read. Who would bother studying your interests just to ask you out? Or even asking you out at all, actually. Last time you checked, you weren't really the social butterfly.

You spent the next two periods trying to make a decision, but you found yourself heading for the library at the end of the day. Was it curiosity or were you actually interested? It didn't matter to you now, because the door to the library was right in front of your eyes.

Here goes nothing, you inhale, then reach for the knob.

"So you came."

You jump when an unfamiliar voice sends chills down your spine, but you turn to a face that you've seen many times.

"E-excuse.. me..?" you shiver as the words come out of your mouth because you were finally speaking to the boy with the angelic face.

"Are you here to see someone?" he smiles your way, and you only wonder how he could have gotten any more handsome.

"Um..I-I.." you struggle to find your words but it doesn't seem to be working. 

He chuckles at your attempt though, then saves you from having to speak, "Shall we go for coffee then?"

Your eyes widen in confusion. Or was it disbelief? You had forgotten about your purpose for being here.

"What?"

He points to the ripped pieces of paper in your hands.

"O-oh! These.." you look at the papers, then back up at him, "These were from you?"

"Why so surprised?" he shoots you a questionable expression, "Are you disappointed?"

"N-no! It's not that, it's just.."

"Come on, I already saved you from having to approach me first, can't you at least say yes?"

The look on his face now was so clear, as if he was saying 'That's right. I know you've been staring at me every morning. Don't think I can't see you.'

"I'll take your blushing as a yes then," he winks, before turning the other way, ready to head out. He turns back to you one more time with an inviting smile, to see if you were going to accompany him or not.

As embarrassed as you were, a part of you had been so relieved that he did all of this, saving you from all the trouble. Of course, you hurry to his side and join him on the way out.

"I'm Suho, by the way," he grins.

"__________," you smile back. It was like you just lived a moment from one of your romantic novels.