Chapter Eight: A Little Too Late?

It Will Never Be You

 

CHAPTER EIGHT

A LITTLE TOO LATE?

 

Minho took Krystal home. It was a fun night for him. He had fun with Krystal and his plan against Sulli worked.

 

Good job Minho. He congratulated himself  as he turned off the engine of his car. He walked towards the entrance of their apartment and past the reception desk, when an unfamiliar voice called him.

 

“Excuse me. Choi Minho?” the girl asked and approached him.

 

He just stared at her questioningly.

 

“Anneyeong. I’m Ji Eun. I’m Sulli’s friend. We’re taking up the same classes. She called me tonight and asked me if I could buy some calamine lotion for her. I think she ate something she’s allergic to.”

 

The oysters. Minho thought. But why didn’t she say anything? Then he recalled their earlier conversation before they went to the restaurant.

 

[Flashback]

“O.. Oysters? I.. I can’t..” Sulli repeated.

“What? If my Krystal wants to eat there, then there we shall eat.” Minho snapped at her.

[End of Flashback]

 

“Oh. Kamsahamnida. I’ll take this up to her now. It was nice meeting you Ji Eun. You were the girl who was with her at the coffee shop right?” he said.

“Ne. You are welcome. Please take care of her. It is nice meeting you too.” She smiled and left.

 

Minho was deep in his thoughts as he walked towards the elevator. Before entering, he heard another voice calling out his name. It was a man this time.

 

“Mr. Choi Minho!” The guy called.

 

It was their night security guard Ji Hoon.

 

“Ah. Anneyeonghaseyo.” Minho greeted him.

“Anneyeonghaseyo. I just wanted to give you this delivery. It came just now. It’s for your wife.” Ji Hoon replied.

“Kamsahamnida. I’ll take this to her now.” Minho said.

“Yes sir.” Ji Hoon bowed, saluted and left.

 

He was confused as he accepted a bouquet of flowers from Ji Hoon. Who is this from? He knows that it is improper to look at the card that came with the flowers but he was very curious and he was his wife anyways. Who knows? May be someone is taking an interest in her. He took the card and he was stunned with what he read.

 

To: Sulli

 

I’m sorry I can’t be with you today. I’m still in Tokyo for a business meeting. I will make it up to you when I get back. I promise. How about we go to the ice cream shop that we love? Hmmm? I will get back as soon as I can.

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sulli ya!

 

From: Appa

 

He could not move. He felt guilty with all the things that he did to her. Today was her birthday and now she is suffering from allergies because of the oyster that they ate for dinner. He went back to their unit with haste and there he saw Sulli.

 

She was sitting on the sofa wearing her usual pyjamas, her hair in a bun on top of her head. He can see red rashes all over her arms, and most probably there are rashes on her legs and body too. Her eyes were puffy too. It looked like she cried for a long time.

 

She looked at him. Minho noticed it. Her stare was different. It lacks something. Minho was instantly uncomfortable. He approached her.

 

“I ran into Ji Eun at the lobby and she gave me this.” He handed her the calamine lotion.

“Gomawo.” She replied.

“And these flowers came for you by delivery.” He handed her the flowers.

“Ne. These must be from Appa.” She said as she reached out for the flowers.

 

Minho opened his mouth to say something but Sulli stood before he was able to say it.

 

“Sulli yah-“ He started but he was cut off my Sulli.

“I’ll be in my room now.” She said without looking at him.

 

Minho stood where he was. Frozen.

 

*Ring! Ring! Ring!*

 

Minho took his phone and read the message. It was from his appa.

 

As if the heavens are conspiring now to make me more guilty. He thought.

 

To: Minho

From: Appa

 

Son, thank you for celebrating Sulli's birthday with her. She told me you guys went to the theme park. You are doing a good job son. I am very proud of you. Take care of each other.

 

Minho sighed and look towards Sulli's closed door.

 

This was the beginning of the most difficult days that Minho will face in his entire life, but he doesn't know it yet.