Nocturne

"Thirty Days with a Pianist" by blueD.O.nut

 

 

NOCTURNE

It has been five days since we visited the Exotic unit. I've been practicing immediately since I got back to the house. I'm playing some pieces now, brainstorming for my next concour.

I was expecting a litany from my manager, but instead she smiled at me and said that she worried so much about me, she's just glad that I returned home safely.

About Chanyeol, he hasn't been 'disturbing' much after that incident in their flat.. It's really awkward, what Kyungsoo did. I don't even want to think about it. It boggle my mind too much!

"Hey." I hear Chanyeol whisper. It's the first time he talked to me in days. I wonder what happened.

"Hmm?" I peeked to my side, and see him sitting beside me in the piano again. I stopped playing and turned to him.

"Could you do something for me?" Chanyeol was still staring at the piano.

"What is it?" I ask, tilding my head sidewards to see his face. I can't really read him now, he seems to be cold and gloomy.

"Could you go with me.. to talk to Jae Mi?" He sighed afterwards.. This guy is really unpredictable.

*Fast Forward*

We're here in front of a hospital near the heart of Seoul. I could feel the tension in Chanyeol, who is beside me, staring at the huge building in front of us. As soon as we reached the lobby of the hospital, I asked where Jae Mi is, and the attendant told me that she's in her room.

As we were riding the elevator, I tried breaking the ice cold aura of Chanyeol.

'How did you two meet?' I ask smilingly staring at Chanyeol. He also smiled a little.

"She's a childhood friend of mine. We went to school together, and even trained in SM together. She auditioned a year after me. Now, she's making her way to debuting by dancing back-up." So, they were that close huh?

'You love her, don't you?' I thought.

"Yes, I do." I smiled in the thought. What have I been thinking these days anyway? Was it because he hugged me that night in their unit? Or because of every little thing he said while we were there?

"Aish. Something is seriously wrong." I heard Chanyeol whisper to himself.

'What's wrong?' I thought to him, but he doesn't answer.

"Eun Jung, tell me something using your mind." Chanyeol looked at me with worried eyes. He faceed me and held my shoulders.

'Why? What's wrong?' I thought to him. Why is he acting all weird?

". I can't hear you, Eun Jung." He said after a while.. Does.. that mean.. that he can't read my thoughts anymore?

"You can't hear my thoughts anymore?" I ask him directly.. and he seemed to be surprised by it.

"I think yes.." Chanyeol bowed his head.. Something is really bothering him.. Although I can't really put my finger on what it is.

We arrive on the floor, hopped off the elevator, and searched the room of Jae Mi.

*Play Nocturne #20 by Chopin, violin solo on the background*

A familiar piece, Nocturne to be exact, lingers in the air as we search for Jae Mi's room. It's a piece full of sadness, almost like the violin is crying. I haven't tried playing it even once, but in the intensity of the emotions flowing from it, I might consider this for my next piece for the concours. My manager made me listen to this two days ago, since she became really excited when I told her that I'll be changing my course a little.

I looked at the room number of Jae Mi that I scribbled in my hand, and turned to the hallway leading to her room. The volume of the piece increased as we were reaching her room. I wonder, was she the one who's playing?

"Hey Chanyeol, does Jae Mi know how to play the violin?" I ask Chanyeol, he's behind me, playing with his hands again. He seemes to be so nervous.

"I didn't recall that she told me that she knew how to. But there's a big possibility since she left when we were five for Japan." He looked at his hands, they were practically shaking.

"Hey, don't be nervous. We can do this." I smiled at him, and he looked at me.. Traces of sadness still present in his eyes.

"You said we.. I like it.." His lips moved upward, forming a little smile. But that smile disappeared immediately, as we were closing on Jae Mi's door.

I was right, the music was coming from her room. Her door was slightly opened, so I peeked in.

I'm pretty sure what I saw was an angel.

She's wearing a white hospital gown, while playing a white violin while seated in a wheelchair.

Her expression was priceless, I couldn't describe it but when a person does what she loves, they look practically perfect right?

She stopped midway in the piece, and looked straight at me. She suddenly wiped her tears, and turned her wheelchair around, her back against me.

"I.. I'm sorry for the noise.." She spoke.

"Jae Mi.." I heard Chanyeol speak, which sent shivers down my spine.

"You're Lee Jae Mi right?" I ask her, and she noddded, for the last time wiping her tears.

It's this time when I want Chanyeol to hear my thoughts.

"I can hear you now.." Chanyeol said. How confusing is this?!

I breathe in, and pull out my courage to speak. I enter her room, and close the door. She turned to me again, with surpise in her eyes.

"How have you been?" I ask her. She's on a wheelchair, and she has bandages on her legs.

"I've been fine.. Sorry for me asking this but, do I know you? Why are you here?" She asked me.

"Don't worry, I have no intention of hurting you. Think of me as an old friend. How's your condition?" I ask her again, hopefully shedding some light on Chanyeol's thoughts.

"Uh.. this? Heh.. It's just I can't feel anything below my waist." She laughed at the thought, but tears are still present in her eyes. She looks very beautiful, her white ivory skin glows with the sunlight splashing from the window of her hospital room.

"Jae Mi.." I heard Chanyeol say again, but he's no where to be seen.

'Chanyeol, where are you?' I thought to him, he has to be here. He's the one who brought me here.

"I.. I can't take looking at her like that.. I can't look at her and know that I'm the one who did that to her." With the tone he's using, I can't help but think that Chanyeol's sobbing..

"Miss, are you okay?" Jae Mi asks me. She's staring at me again, with her wide brown eyes.

"I miss her.. so bad... Eun Jung.. could you hug her for me?" Chanyeol added. I did what he asked me to do, stood up and hugged Jae Mi. She seemed surpised even more, but she patted my back eventually. I broke free from the hug, and saw her smiling at me.

"He's here, isn't he?" What she said startled me, suddenly I saw Chanyeol standing behind her, looking at her with surprise.

"You know, he always made my heart pound whenever he's near me. It's like, my heart is my own Yeollie detector, his presence triggering my brain to make my heart pound and send butterflies in my stomach." She smiled again, her smile could fool people of what she's truly feeling.

Now I know why Chanyeol fell for her. She's perfect.

"Seems like I've been found out huh?" I smiled at her too, her smile just lightens everything.

"Why is he here? Why isn't he up there yet?" She asked again, curiousity present in her voice.

"He still has his mission to accomplish. It seems like his mission is connected to you." I explained to her. Chanyeol's been quiet since Jae Mi found out, but he's still there, watching Jae Mi intently.

"Me? Why?" Chanyeol knows what the answer is.

"Tell her I'm sorry." Chanyeol said, smiling to himself. Maybe because of the light atmosphere Jae Mi's been creating.

"He says he's sorry." I tell Jae Mi.

"For what? For saving my life?" Jae Mi asked, and smiled again.

"Tell her I'm sorry for doing this to her." Chanyeol said again.. I could feel the sorrow that Chanyeol feels, because he thinks that he's the reason why Jae Mi couldn't walk again. I repeated what he said to Jae Mi, and she just chuckled.

"Chanyeol is really an idiot huh? If you could hear me Yeollie, I never once blamed you for my paralyzation. Do you ever think clearly? You saved my life, you idiot! I should be even thankful to you! " She burst into laughter, which sent Chanyeol tears of joy.

"I'm glad she's still like this.." Chanyeol smiled again, that honestly, made my heart pound.

I smile at the sight of both of them. They really suit each other, it just that Chanyeol had to leave this beautiful girl behind.

"Kring.. kring..* Jae Mi's phone is ringing.

"Do you mind?" Jae Mi asked, in which I shook my head in response.

"It was perfect, really. If ever Jae Mi had been my girlfriend. But there was one thing.." Chanyeol disappeared behind Jae Mi, and appeared next to me.

"Yeoboseyo, Baekhyun! Hi!" I saw the happiness in Jae Mi's voice.

"She loved Baekhyun, not me." I turned my head to Chanyeol, and saw that he's still smiling.

We left Jae Mi's room with both smiles on our faces. Smiles that finally, Chanyeol achieved his mission.

'Why aren't you vanishing yet?' I thought to Chanyeol.

"Ouch, you really want me to vanish this soon?" Chanyeol acted as if he's deeply hurt, which made me burst in laughter.

"You really like it when I'm in pain, do you?" Chanyeol looked at me with a big smirk in his face. Teasing me.

"Of course I do. Haha! Bleeh!" I let my tongue out, teasing him too, making the both of us laugh.

'But seriously, why are you still here? You already accomplished you mission with Jae Mi, what else? Do you have problems with your family?" I asked him.

"I don't. I know that they love me too. I don't have problems with friends too. So I don't exactly know why I'm still here. Maybe to finish that thirty day expiration date?" He said while we were approaching the elevator.

"What do you think of yourself, spoiled food?" I ask him, looking at him in the eye. It really takes much neck strength to look at him. Why is he such a tall being? Argh.

"Hey, don't look at me with your cute black eyes! I might melt you know?" He turned away, hiding his face in his hand.

"You baby!" I turned away from him, pouting.

"Oh well, speaking of food, aren't you hungry?" Chanyeol told me, and in that instant my stomach started growling.

"Oh yeah, I have this choco bar in my-" As I was reaching for my choco bar..

"HEY STOP! Please!! I'm begging you!! STOP!" Chanyeol started screaming at me, kneeling down and begging. HA!

"Psh. Do I have to be in a chocolate diet because of you?" I whispered to myself.

*Sigh* Park Chanyeol, what are you doing to me?

*Meanwhile in the control room..*

"Why is this woman talking to herself?" The guard said, goosebumps forming in his arms. He's watching the surveillance camera in the elevator.

"HA! I scared you didn't I?" The girl said laughing, which sent a sigh of relief to the lowly guard.