Chapter 2

The Spy That I Love

I instantly stood up and in the process, made the chair I was sitting at fall down. My trusty instinct tells me something’s up so not minding the blinking cursor in my computer screen; I just leave it on and rush to the window beside my bed. I peek through the curtains just a little, enough to see a couple of men barging in through our heavy metal gates.

                Both our guards and dogs lay on the cement soaked in blood.

                My mind spun frantically, but I don’t panic. My muscles are trained well enough how to react in situations like these; I could almost hear dad’s voice saying “You will only have two things to stop you from doing well in protecting my business: Panicking and Falling in Love. You let one, or both, of them take over you and you lose yourself”

                I scramble to the drawer beside my bed and take out the black pistol from the lowermost one. I only stop for a moment to check that it’s loaded and tie my hair up in a bun before carefully opening my bedroom door. Nothing’s outside, to my surprise. The huge porcelain vases along the staircase are still intact. I tread my way down as silently as possible, reminding myself that we've got huge armed men who could take care of this easily.

                My reflexes, being trained and all, could react fast. This isn’t the first time we’ve been raided anyway, though this is the first time they found our actual house. Encounters always happen outside, in the warehouse.

                From the corner of my eye, I sense a bullet coming my way. Ducking down immediately I use my chinese martial arts to avoid the guy's consistently coming gunshots.

                With one quick flying kick, his gun flies down, another and he himself is pinned to the ground. I twist his left arm backwards and demand "You're from?"

                He doesn't answer but his identification card not only answered me but sent chills on my spine as well.

                National Intelligence Service

                The same company where Kyuhyun works in. Fortunately, he's just assigned in offices, investigating, I presume and now he's done his job by locating us and sending some men. He's not assigned in combat. Or so I think.

                I stomp on his leg and the cracking sound it made tells me it's enough to paralyze him for a while but not fatal. I don't really kill. Which is just another weakness to have in this kind of life. I glance around as I stood up, keeping agile. Downstairs, I heard something -or someone for that matter- crash down.

                I tiptoe down the staircase in my night clothing -a plain shirt and cotton pants, barefoot. Carefulness my only defense.

                I hear a soft rumbling under the stairs so I cover the remaining steps with more care.

                Finally, I ran to flip the light switch beside the door. I could actually go escape, run outside but surely it's not an option. I can't be a weakling at times like this. At least now it's easier to fight with lights open. But as I turn around I immediately regretted having done that.

                In front of me, just a couple feet across, stood a guy. His gun aimed at me. I take a subconscious half step back as I try to grasp the realness of the situation.

                He doesn't seem to recognize me. But I'd know him anywhere. Cho Kyuhyun pointing his gun at me. His face is stern but his eyes are glimmering. I try to show no fear but I could barely conceal the shock.

                "Surrender, now" his voice still as soothing but I know it's not the time to compliment him, nor go and shake hands with an old acquaintance. Nor confess affection. Definitely not. So I kept my emotions intact, my breathing stable as I clenched my gun tight. I couldn't shoot him I'm sure... But if he could shoot me... I honestly don't know.

                I gritted my teeth as I heard someone yell from upstairs "Team Leader Cho! We've found him!"

                No. Dad. You can't get him. And so my adrenaline rush willed me to shoot at his knee. He pulled the trigger right then but I was already making my way up, my only consolation for the deed being that the injury isn't lethal, it wouldn't even lead to excessive blood loss. I did that just to stop him for a minute or two as I sort out my thoughts.

                Two men were upstairs but a quick flying kick threw one to the ground and while the other held my arms, I kicked him at the crotch. He groaned in pain and shot his gun at me but I bent myself almost in half and was lucky to miss the bullet. Then I shoot my gun at him without looking. I quickly turned away, not wanting to know where I hit him. Not wanting compassion to hit me. I almost got shot twice. This is serious business now.  I'm definite this case is totally different from the other raids. Thus, more difficult. But I can't help hoping he don't die. I should get him out of my head and focus.

                I entered Dad's room, scanned it -four bodies lying lifeless in the floor. Two of them are our bodyguards. On the balcony, some of our men are fighting off with the police. We are outnumbered, I figure, but then I see my Dad running to me. "Let's escape. Now." he yelled as we ran together. We'd just reached the front door when I saw something from the corner of my eye. And suddenly, my father dropped to the floor.

                It was surreal. The father I always looked up to, whom I thought was invincible. Shot. His arm bleeding. From all sides of the house, police came out. I felt fear. No. More like... Helplessness. At that moment, I just stood there wishing this was just a nightmare.

                At that point, I thought I'd lost the cunning and strong Victoria Song that is me and what replaced it is a young woman ducking down to assist her father, pitiful.

                I help my father up, and glace at the door. Just a few feet from it, we'd easily reach it. I calculated the odds. It was not very narrow. When suddenly a gun shot. I immediately move so the bullet only hit my hair, making long brown waves flow down. I instinctively turned my head and saw a cold looking man. The odds I thought were in our favor dropped close to zero as I remembered it was Kyuhyun whom we were against. And he just shot  my dad. And me.

                I found it hard to breathe. Dad seemed to glance upstairs as he stood up on his own, clenching his injured arm.

                With that, I desperately held my pistol tight and pointed it at Kyuhyun, while his gun is pointed at me. He doesn't even recognize me; who knows if he still remembers a girl from  high school. I had to do this. If this is a game then he is the enemy. I had to win.

                From different sides of the room, a handful of armed and uniformed police treaded near us. But from upstairs, a gun shot. The police near my left dropped dead. Our men are coming and they're exchanging fires with the police.

                Everyone were in combat, vases and picture frames kept getting smashed. I  knew had my own personal opponent -but I'm not sure whether it's Kyuhyun or my feelings that I should take care of first.

                "Shoot him!" I hear my dad say. "Victoria, shoot him!"

                I bit my lip and was ready to pull the trigger when his face suddenly changed expressions. From a stone hard, jaw-clenched look to a surprised flash of realization. His eyes widened so slightly before he blinked. Then his eyebrows crumpled as he mutter "Victoria?"

                Hearing him say my name made my muscles weak, my lips dry.

                Almost simultaneously dad yelled "Shoot him, Victoria!" while Kyuhyun dropped his gun and yelled "Stop!". And everything that happened next happened so fast that it felt unreal.

                All I know was that I was utterly confused. Numerous guns fired here and there, punches and kicks thrown; everyone didn't pay attention to their team leader's order but my hand numbed and I dropped the gun. Seeing this, dad grabbed my hand and was pulling me to the door. I held the knob, we were escaping. We were winning. But one gunshot seemed to blast louder than the others and I  automatically turned my head around.

                For a second I didn't understand what happened but Kyuhyun's leather pants had blood. His gun was still on the ground and he was slowly falling down from his confident posture. I let go of my dad and his shout of my name seemed so distant, muted by the sound of gunshots, overwhelmed by the louder and louder thumping of my heart.

                I ran to reach Kyuhyun as he looked past me and with a shocked expression cried out "No!!!".

                By the next second, all I know is that I felt a severe pain in my back and I couldn't reach him anymore, my legs gave way and I dropped to the ground.

                A bullet got me. I hadn't protected my back for all I cared about was reaching Kyuhyun. It got even harder to breathe and the world was spinning. In front of me, Kyuhyun was dragging his shot leg and reaching me while frantically telling his colleagues to a call an ambulance. He was coming to me. I reached my hand out and he clasped it between his. It felt so warm and the pain in my back was disappearing. But it's still hard to breathe and my loud heartbeat was fading by the ticking of the clock.

                He was beside me now. Holding me though his vest is getting stained with the blood from my back and his hand is holding mine. I was leaning on him and I turned my head to see his face.

                "Wh-- why do you look s--so sad? It's the fi--first time we've seen each other in y--years, aren't you h--happy to see me?" I figured it's hard to talk as well so I just smiled after saying it. I still had so much to say. But I'm not sure if I could.

                "Victoria" he mumbled. Tears were springing in his eyes. "I. I missed you." he said as a tear fell on his cheek.

                I gathered every strength in me to wipe the tear from his face but as I did so, more and more kept flowing down.

                "I- I'm sorry. I didn't recognize you earlier. I. I even shot--"

                "Ssh." I say. It was his job, it wasn't his fault. "K-Kyuhyun" I inhaled deeply. I knew I should say this now, or I'll never have the chance to. "Kyuhyun. I-- I loved you since before. And I still do" A faint giggle escaped my lips. I wasn't expecting a reply. It just feels good that I finally said it.

                He sniffed. "I love you too. Since before. You were always the coolest girl I ever met."

                I forced my eyelids to keep open and I smile. Is this true?! "R--really?" I was panting but everything around us seemed to disappear. I felt like we were sitting in a grass park, had it not for the blood. "Y-you too. C--coolest." He smiled, not the usual smirk but a smile. A genuine smile despite his glassy eyes. "I think. I'll d--die happy. Be--because I'm in your arms."

                "D-don't say that you'll die Victoria. Victoria come on, you're strong"

                "Lieutenant! Where's the ambulance?! Let's just use the police car can't we?!" He was screaming, and I could hear dad's voice crying out my name and that he loves me. I think they're dragging him and our men away now, the lieutenant was saying that all the police cars are already full and Kyuhyun is angrily yelling out at everyone.

                I press my palm on his cheek and he looks at me, suppressing his sobs. "It's okay. Y--you should live well, okay?" I could feel tears streaming down my face by now. He wipes it with the back of his hand and nods. "Victoria, just wait a little" he my hair. "I love you. I love you so much"

                I smile, I felt so drowsy. "I love you too" My eyelids felt so heavy.

                “I’m sorry. Victoria.” he mumbled softly and I’m not sure what it was that he was sorry about. I shook my head though it requires much effort. “Don’t f--forget me…”

                “Of course. Everything will be fine Victoria. Trust me.” His voice kept quivering but as I gaze into his eyes, he smiled, rather… reassuringly.

And that smile, more than his actual words, made me relieved. And though maybe, I lost in the game regarding our business, I have no regrets. Because I’ll die in the arms of the spy that I love. Now I’m sure, as I let my eyelids close… that because of Kyuhyun’s love… I never really lost.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Oh-kay. How was it? Please write down comments so I'd know what ya think. =)) And well, I'm sorry for killing off Victoria but I just love and enjoy tragic story endings so muuuch. HAHAHA. 

Please subscribe. There are actually two more chapters which will revolve on Kyuhyun and his point of view. I hope you guys like it. And I'm sorry it took so long to update this.