Chapter 1

The Spy That I Love

Bitter drizzles fall upon the windowsill, the sound matching the darkness of the room around me well. With the bright light emitted by the monitor being the only illumination in the place, shadows also started crawling up inside me.

                It’s been 12 years and 5 months since we last met –not that I have been counting. It was by the time I had finished high school. It’s been so long that it amuses me now how I can still visualize his face in my head –his brown curls, black eyes and apparently evil smirk. He was always that one and only kid who can beat me in arm wrestling and taekwondo. The one kid whose grades in math were higher than mine, which was why I got scolded by Dad. The one kid whose eyes captivate me every time. Every. Time.

                Even now. More than a dozen years later. His eyes are still something. Like it’s always laughing at an inside joke or planning something cruel. I laugh to myself at the irony. Talk about something cruel. Then it must be me and my dad and his whole drug syndicate which so happened to be the biggest and most powerful in the whole South Korea.

                It’s not because of my pride that I am bothered by his defeating me back then in high school. It’s just that, I’ve been learning taekwondo ever since I could walk! No maybe that’s awfully exaggerated but since my mom died when I was born, and I was the only child –let alone a GIRL, you could only imagine my dad’s frustration. A girl. To become the heir of all his great illegally-acquired treasures. I had no choice but to compensate my gender with hard work, passion, and more hard work. He’ll make me exercise and train and learn martial arts everyday, eventually even firing and shooting. I have to be good in academics as well. Image. Reputation. I  had to keep those better than anyone else in class. But having lived my life that way, I have no regrets. All I wanted is to make my dad proud. And though I’d never want to manage that syndicate in the near future, I have no choice. If that’s the way I’ll make my dad happy then so be it.

                “So don’t look at me like that.” I accusingly whisper to the computer screen where his face is brightly flashed along with the caption: “Cho Kyuhyun, newly-assigned officer against drugs”

                I was never afraid of anything. With the training I undergone since I was a kid, plus the environment and people around me –goons, guns, drugs, cigarettes, curse words, one huge gloomy  mansion near a dusty old warehouse- how would I ever be afraid of a single spider crawling on my thigh even when I was in third grade?

                My friends used to call me Miss Fearless. And they’d fake fear of me when I beat to a pulp the old ert man down the street who scared Sulli with his antics. And they’d cheer on me when I used my cunningness to embarrass the boys in school. Once again, with the exception of that mighty Cho Kyuhyun whose sharp tongue could silence me. Or maybe it was that adorable smile of his that made me quiet.

                But now I could feel my knees trembling. I never knew what happened to him after graduation since I focused on getting my majors for business management –as if it would make any difference; our business is still highly illegal. And now that was exactly the point. Our business involved drugs. And now Kyuhyun. That one guy that caught my attention years back and still holds it now, is also that one guy who will lead the mission of taking us down.

                I finally close the window, wishing my father never made me find out who our new enemy is going to be. He has successfully avoided getting caught despite a lot of investigations done by different undercover agents. I’m sure he’ll just shrug it off again this time while sipping his black coffee leisurely and say to one of his men “Take him down.”

                I subconsciously clasped my hand over my mouth trying to think that this is a different Cho Kyuhyun. Not the student I admired since way back when. I’ve always tried to find news of that guy but to no avail. So how could he suddenly appear as a spy determined to catch my father?! I swear. I’d never felt more frightened than I am right now.

                Even if I don’t tell him, Dad has ways of knowing. And it will only be either Kyuhyun –and the government that he’s working with- could deal with my Dad, or Dad deals with Kyuhyun in his own violent way.

                I suppress the sobs as I open my virtual diary. I had been keeping this updated since like forever. I browse through my earlier entries –accounts telling my encounters with enemies. I try to remind myself that I am that Victoria Song. The strong and cold and powerful Victoria Song who takes down a handful of men while they stand awestruck with my beauty and underestimate me. But it doesn’t change the fact that he is Cho Kyuhyun, who is, unfortunately, the Spy that I Love.

That’s when I heard the first gunshot.

 

---------------------------------------

 

I'm sorry if it took long before I updated this. But yes, that's the first chapter. I hope you like it. =) Comments please. ♥