3

Unwilling to Give Up

 

The faculty room had wooden desks lined across the room. A vending machine rested on the corner of the room where a small sofa and table was also placed. The room was well ventilated and well-lit because of the two huge windows. Professors of the different departments where either lounging in their own desks waiting for class or facing their laptops. There wasn’t much of a hassle in the room at that time since it was the usual day for classes. It goes the same for Donghae. He went inside the faculty room, wearing his usual white polo shirt and black slacks, paired with black leather shoes. He wore his eyeglasses and styled his hair in the usual side slicked hair. True enough, Donghae looked really dashing with just this style. He was popular among the students in their university not only because he was a respected and good mentor, but also because of his looks. A handsome professor is just what college girls like nowadays.

“Professor Lee, the Headmaster’s secretary left a folder on your table.”

Donghae nodded at his fellow professor and looked at a folder nestled at the corner of his office table. It was a recommendation from the dean of his department to promote him as the next dean. Donghae had always been dedicated to his profession, so a promotion like this wasn’t really much of a surprise. A promotion would make him happy right? But somehow, Donghae felt that being the dean wasn’t meant for him. He was satisfied as a professor. He wanted nothing more, nothing less.

Donghae laid the book he was carrying and picked out another one from his desk. He then pulled out his phone and pressed the quick dial. After a few seconds, a familiar voice greeted him.

What? I’m extremely busy right now.”

“What time do you leave work Jessica? I’ll pick you up.”

You don’t have to. I don’t know what time I’ll be able to get out of here. I’m really busy right—“Jessica paused. Donghae could hear muffled sounds from the other line. After a while Jessica suddenly started reprimanding someone. “Hello? Donghae? I’m really busy. I’ll call you later okay?”

Donghae put down his phone and stared at it. He wanted to talk to Jessica about the promotion because he knew Jessica was the only who can understand his thoughts. Donghae sighed in defeat. He placed his phone back in his bag and was about to walk out of the faculty room when their Headmaster suddenly appeared in the room. Donghae froze, quickly thinking about the recommendation papers. Donghae politely bowed at the Headmaster only to get a meek response from the respected man. The headmaster, who was about in his late 50’s, was stout yet a tall man. He had a stern yet somehow warm look in his face. All of the professors present in the room stood up to greet him. He dismissed them and he introduced a young looking woman, maybe around early 20’s, who was wearing a simple yellow Sunday dress and a pair of peach colored ballet shoes.

“Everyone, this is my niece, Krystal Jung. She’s going to be a new associate professor in the Literature Department.” The man introduced. He gazed straight at Donghae and added, “Mr. Lee, I’m leaving my niece in your care. As the next dean for the Literature Department, I’m counting on you to train her and guide her in your department is that clear?” He said in an imposing manner. Donghae nodded and replied,

“I’ll do my best to get her acquainted with the school.”

“Very well then…” He looks at the new professor Krystal and continued, “Don’t fret. You’ll be in good hands.” He then strides out of the room.

Donghae moves towards Krystal and offers her his hand, “I’m Lee Donghae. I’m the professor for Chinese Literature. I’m pleased to meet—“

“Now that I’ve seen you personally, I think you’re not as astounding as people say.” Krystal interrupted, sounding a bit bored. She then flips back her wavy hair and added, “Are you really going to be the next dean? You don’t like one for me.”

Donghae faked a laugh and replied in a warm manner, “I apologize for not living up to your expectations Ms. Jung, but I believe that my promotion isn’t something the Headmaster just thought out of the blue. He’s a highly respected man, and having this offer is a huge honour for me.”

Krystal snorted and rolled her eyes. Donghae chuckled. Her expressions were just the same as Jessica’s. Come to think of it, they even look alike…

Krystal frowned at Donghae and said, “Just tour me around the campus okay?” Donghae responded with a simple nod and the two of them exited the faculty.

 

 

 

“This side of the building is the Liberal Arts department. It’s one of the largest sections in the whole school.”

Donghae patiently guided the seemingly bored Krystal through the campus grounds. The whole university itself was really huge, living up to the name of being the “Largest Arts University” in Korea. This tour somehow made Krystal restless, though they’ve only toured for 15 minutes and haven’t even covered half of the school grounds. Whenever Donghae introduces a new section of the school, Krystal simply nods without any reaction, or just looks in another direction, ignoring Donghae. Good thing Donghae is extremely patient or any sane person would have had left Krystal hanging in the school grounds by her own.

The pair where now walking towards the Literature Department where Donghae is teaching. Donghae kept on talking about the department, without realizing that Krystal already had her headphones on. Donghae paused and sarcastically smiled at the younger girl. Krystal raised her brows and removed one of her headphones.

“What?” Krystal asked nonchalantly.

“I’m sure you’ll be interested in this area…” Donghae began to speak. He turned around and showed a huge, old, Cathedral-like building. Vines decorated the outer exterior of the building and it had large heavily-tinted glasses. The old building looked like it got lost in the modern world. “It’s the first and the oldest building in the university.” Donghae continued proudly. He turned to Krystal only to her facing the other direction. Good thing Donghae was known for his patience because if not, he would have dragged the girl by her ear and reprimanded her or something.

“Ms. Krystal—“

“You want to get some ice cream?” Krystal suddenly offered. Taken aback, Donghae wasn’t able to give a reply to Krystal. “It’s too hot to tour the campus. Can we do this later? I feel like I’m going to faint from the heat.” For the first time, Krystal looked a bit approachable. Donghae was also feeling the heat, with his sweat dripping from his forehead. He wasn’t a fan of sweets but Krystal’s offer dragged him in.

“Okay.”

 

 

“I’d like cherry milkshake please.”

Krystal and Donghae were now nestled in an ice cream parlor just a few blocks from the university. Krystal placed down her menu and was now waiting for Donghae to place his order. She raised her brows as she started to scrutinize the man infront of her.

“You’re not that bad-looking at all.” Krystal began to stay. Startled by the remark, Donghae placed the menu he was holding and he gave Krystal an amused look. “Now that I’ve seen you closer, you’re quite handsome.”

Donghae shook his head and he looked at the waitress that was waiting for his order. “I’d like coffee please.”

“Coffee in an ice cream parlor?” Krystal remarked. She was about to add something when Donghae cut him off.

“I don’t particularly like sweets.” He said briefly. He flashed his most charming smile at Krystal, hoping that she’ll let his comment pass. But his smile, his pearly whites, his sunshine-like smile sent shivers to Krystal spine.

“What…What…Whatever.” Krystal stuttered. She started to feel nervous as she pretended to sip her water.

“Since when have you been interested in literature Ms. Jung?” Donghae asked. He then smiled again at Krystal to make her feel comfortable but Krystal was nowhere near comfortable.

“Ummm… I enrolled in Literature in Seoul Academy after highschool. That’s what my parents decided for me.” Krystal gulped as she felt her body tense for some unknown reason. “How about you Mr. Lee?” She added as her voice started to be a bit quivery. She mentally slapped herself for suddenly acting this way. This isn’t how she usually acts infront of people, especially with people she just met.

“I’ve been fascinated with Literature since I was a kid. Both my parents were professors…” Donghae paused briefly and continued, “…before they died.”

“I’m sorry.”

Donghae smiled at Krystal and replied, “It’s okay. It happened a very long time ago so it isn’t a big deal for me now.” An awkward pause followed. Krystal wasn’t sure how she would respond, not because she felt sorry for Donghae but because of the sudden queasiness she felt at that moment. Donghae kept drinking water from his cup, trying to wash away his inexistent thirst. After a few minutes, Donghae felt the need to rush to the comfort room.

“I’ll just go to the restroom for a moment.” Donghae quickly said as she stood up and sauntered off to the men’s room. Krystal chuckled, finding Donghae’s awkwardness cute. But she quickly dismissed her thoughts and kept her face straight. She tried to fix her thoughts by staring at the window when she heard a phone ring. She knew it wasn’t the same as her ringtone, but the tone sounded close. She looked around and noticed that it was Donghae’s phone that he left on the table was ringing.

“He’s such a klutz.” Krystal muttered. She reached for the phone and stared at its screen. The phone’s screen flashed a picture of Donghae and a pretty girl, smiling sweetly together. Krystal shrugged and suddenly answered the phone.

“Yah. Donghae! I only have five minutes of free time so if there’s something you need to tell me, you need to say it fast.” A brief pause followed and the voice on the other line added, “This better be important!”

Krystal snorted and responded, “Donghae’s in the men’s room so if you want to leave a message, you can say it to me.”

“Who is this?!”

“I’m Donghae’s officemate.”

The voice on the other line sighed and said, “Fine. Just tell him he can come to the hospital by 10pm and tell him to bring me dinner.”  A long monotonous tone followed after that. Krystal placed down the phone at the table. After a few moments, Donghae appeared from the men’s room.

“Someone called your phone so I answered it.” Krystal said nonchalantly. She glared at Donghae and quickly fixed her gaze at the window.

Donghae raised his brows at Krystal’s unusual reaction. He grabbed his phone from the table and checked his call log. The last name that registered was Jessica’s.

“What did she say?” Donghae asked. Krystal shrugged and ignored Donghae’s question. Donghae sighed and asked again. “Please, tell me what she said. It’s important for me.”

Krystal’s eyes widened and she suddenly stood up. “She said to bring her dinner at 10pm!” Krystal unexpectedly walked out of the ice cream parlor, leaving Donghae confused and dumbfounded.

“What did I do?”

 

 

“Doctor Jung, someone’s waiting for you in the lounge.”

Jessica looked up and nodded to the nurse. She was standing in the nurse’s station, looking at patient records. She signed some papers and left the nurse’s station. She was about to head to the lounge when a nurse suddenly came rushing to her.

“Dr. Jung! The patient on room 340 is having seizures!”

“Isn’t the patient under Dr. Han’s care?” Jessica replied in a calm tone.

“Yes, but Dr. Han is currently doing an operation…” Jessica didn’t give the nurse the chance to finish as she suddenly rushed to the patient’s room.

 

The waiting lounge had three rows of long benches with small tables at the end of each chair and a flat screen tv built in the wall. Donghae sat at the end of the middle bench. Beside him was a package of takeout food from Jessica’s favourite Chinese restaurant. She’s going to flip out when she eats this. Donghae smiled to himself. He checked his phone for any messages. Well, the only message he’s waiting for is Jessica’s. He’s been waiting in the lounge for 30 minutes. He can always barge in her office or ask someone in the nurse’s station for Jessica’s whereabouts, but being as tactful as he is, he knows Jessica doesn’t like it when she’s disturbed with personal matters in the hospital. He sighed deeply and turned his attention to the television. A music show was on and Donghae began to tap his feet away with the performances of random idols on the show.

“Excuse me, Mr. Lee?”

A weak voice caught Donghae’s attention. He turned his head to the direction of the voice and saw a weary-looking nurse standing beside him.

“Dr. Jung sent me to tell you that she’s going to be a bit late because she’s performing a sudden operation--“ the tired nurse wasn’t able to finish her sentence when she suddenly sat on the long bench. The nurse’s eyes were tightly shut, as her fingers massaged her temples.

“Are you okay?” Donghae asked with concern in his voice. “You look really tired. You should get some rest…”

“I’m okay…” the nurse paused for a while, trying to recollect herself. She opened her eyes slowly and smiled at Donghae. “I’m just a bit hungry. I haven’t eaten anything since lunch.”

Donghae quickly rummaged through his Chinese takeout and pulled out a food box. “You can eat this if you want.” Donghae said. “You’re fine with eating Chinese food right?” He smiled as he offered the food to the pale nurse.

The nurse shook her head lightly. “It’s okay. I’m going to order in the cafeteria later so…” Donghae gave her a pleading look which made the nurse falter a bit. A handsome person like Donghae pleading like an abandoned puppy would make any woman weak on their knees-the nurse was no exception. With a nervous smile, the nurse reached for the food Donghae was offering and said,

“Thank you for this.” The nurse looked straight into Donghae’s eyes briefly and quickly averted her gaze on the floor. She gulped as her heart thumped faster. His charm is simply astounding.

“Eat it well okay?” Donghae said as he flashed his sunshine like smile.

The nurse felt like she was about to faint.

The nurse stood up, still unable to look straight at Donghae and nodded quickly at him. She sauntered away fast, almost tripping on her feet.

 

 

“Thanks for the help Dr. Jung…” A distressed mother cried. Her husband aided her as she kept sobbing in front of Jessica. “My daughter wouldn’t be able to survive if it weren’t for you—“ the mother started crying as she suddenly held on to Jessica’s arms.

“You’re most welcome Mrs. Jo…” Jessica said calmly. She held the hands of the sobbing mother, trying to appease her. “You just need to always be on Muyeon’s side so she can recover quickly.” The mother smiled at Jessica and she slowly stopped crying. “I’ll be informing Dr. Han about the operation so he could proceed with the treatment. I’ll try to be updated with Muyeon’s treatment plan so I could be of help.”

“Thank you so much Dr. Jung.” The mother replied. Jessica nodded and called the attention of a nurse to let the parents see their child. She then began to walk back to the nurse’s station to fill out the patient’s chart.

“He’s really handsome! He could pass as an actor with just his looks!”

“I saw him too! He is just overflowing with charm!”

Jessica could not help herself overhearing the chatter of the nurses. Much to her amusement, she kept listening to the nurses’ chitchat while writing on the patient’s chart.

“I wonder who he’s waiting for. He’s been in the lounge for more than an hour.” One of the nurses remarked. “If he’s waiting for his girl, then she’s one lucky girl. And I’m just one jealous nurse!” The white dressed “angels” laughed. One of them nudged the other when she saw Jessica standing in the nurse’s station counter. She pointed at Jessica with her eyes and whispered to the other nurses,

“The guy on the lounge is waiting for Dr. Jung.” The nurses gasped and all their heads turned to Jessica. “Dr. Jung sent Jiyoung earlier to inform the guy on the lounge to wait for her.”

“Are they dating?” One of the nurses asked.

 “Maybe they’re just friends.” Another one added.

Jessica finished filling out the patient chart and as she looked up, she noticed a couple of nurses huddled together, staring at her. She raised her brows at them and the nurses quickly averted their eyes elsewhere. Jessica shrugged at started to walk towards the waiting lounge.

“If they’re really dating, then Dr. Jung’s one lucky girl.”

All of the nurses nodded in agreement.

 

 

Donghae’s eyes flickered for a moment. He yawned but quickly straightened up to keep himself from sleeping. He’s left all alone in the waiting lounge. Most of the visitors have left. Well it’s not really unusual, considering it’s almost midnight. Donghae sighed as he looked at his takeout. The food had already gone cold. Jessica wouldn’t want to eat these now…

“My Donghae is quite the popular man huh?”

Donghae, taken aback by the familiar voice, quickly looked up. His face lit up like a Christmas tree. Finally, she’s here.

“I’m the popular guy that waited for his dear friend for 3 hours right?” Donghae remarked. Jessica rolled her eyes as she settled beside her friend. She then stretched her arms, trying to ease her stress. “Tough day huh?” Donghae added.

“It’s hard being superwoman, saving people’s lives everyday.”

Donghae reached for Jessica’s shoulders and started to massage her tensed muscles. Jessica closed her eyes briefly, relaxing herself. “No one asked you to be superwoman.” Donghae paused as he made Jessica face him. “You’re just a plain doctor. You’re not superwoman. You have your own life if you decide to live it. Superwoman can’t make this kind of decision.” Jessica snickered at Donghae’s unusual response. “Superwoman can’t eat the Chinese takeout I brought for you…”

Jessica’s eyes lit, with a huge smile plastered on her face. Donghae took the package and waved it infront of Jessica, while the poor girl tried to grab it like a bear hungry for food. “Say the magic word first.” Donghae teased. Jessica retreated in defeat and sighed,

“Donghae is the most handsome guy in Korea and no one can even be compared to him.” Jessica answered in a forced tone. Donghae chuckled and shook his head,

“Not that silly.”

Jessica’s face scrunched, “I’m the luckiest girl in the world because Donghae is my bestfriend?” Donghae shook his head again. Jessica glared at him as if she’s about to tear his soul. “I’m stupid, stupid, stupid?” Jessica answered again in a forced tone. Donghae laughed as he handed the food to her. Irritated, Jessica suddenly punched Donghae hard in the shoulder that the lad yelped out in pain.

“Why do you like making me say that I’m stupid?” Jessica sulked. Her lips tightened as she gave Donghae a piercing glare, only to receive a laugh from the latter. She rolled her eyes and turned her attention on the food.

“The food’s gone cold. Do you have a heater or something in your office so we could heat the food?” Donghae said. Jessica shrugged and replied,

“My office doesn’t have a heater. The cafeteria’s already closed.” Jessica took out a sweet bun and started munching on it. “The food’s fine. I’m too hungry that I could eat anything.”

“Poor girl. You should eat something in between your shifts. You’ll lose weight is you don’t do that.”

Jessica swallowed her last bite of the bone and exclaimed, “As if I’m not skinny enough!” She then rummaged through the package and took out another sweet bun.

Donghae smiled to himself. “Silly, silly girl.” He murmured. Donghae stood up and said, “I’ll get some drinks from the vending machine. Wait here okay?” Jessice replied with a nod.

Donghae walked towards the vending machine, which was only a few steps away from the lounge. After picking out drinks-strawberry milk for him, and a ginger ale for Jessica, he pulled out a small box from his pocket. He walked back to Jessica who was still concentrating on her food. Donghae handed the ginger ale and the small box to Jessica.

“What’s this?” Jessica asked. She took the box and gave Donghae a curious look.

“Happy birthday!” Donghae exclaimed. Jessica raised her brow, questioning Donghae’s greeting. “It’s April 18 silly! It’s your birthday!”

“Oh.” Was all Jessica’s reply. She wasn’t surprised, nor did she show happiness. She looked at Donghae, forcing a smile.

“Look, I know you don’t like celebrating your birthday, but as your best friend, I am entitled to celebrate the day you were born.” He paused, hoping for any reaction, before adding, “And also to keep track of how old you are.”

“Whatever. You’re just making me feel old every year. Besides, I’m not even sure if I was really born this day. In case you’ve forgotten Mr. Lee, I don’t have familial background to begin with.”

Donghae sat beside Jessica and ignored her comment. They’ve always argued about Jessica’s birthday every year and honestly, he’s getting tired of Jessica’s indifference towards her "birthday". “Just open the gift and be done with it.”

Jessica sighed and removed the ribbon that held the box in place. She opened it, and a small silver buoy pendant nestled on white cotton. Jessica turned to Donghae, looking amused. And even before Jessica could ask, Donghae already answered her question.

“You’re my saviour. My lifesaver. You may not be superwoman, but I’ll forever owe you my life.” Donghae paused as he pinched Jessica’s nose. “But I guess you already know that right?”

Jessica smiled proudly and held her head high confidently. “Of course! That’s why I deserve this gift of yours!”

Donghae laughed, and soon Jessica chimed in. When their laughter died down, Jessica’s phone rang.

“Hello?”

Sica-ah! Happy birthday!” Jessica’s face frowned at the voice on the other line. “I’m sorry I almost forgot your birthday! Well, Donghae did say no to greet you today but I don’t care! I love you you SIca-ah~~ I can’t stay for too long because I need to do something. I’ll treat you to lunch tomorrow okay? Bye!” And just like that, the phone call ended.

“I’m guessing from the sourness on your face that it was Tiffany who called.” Donghae remarked. Jessica nodded helplessly. “I told her not to greet you but she’s just as stubborn as you are.”

“Yeah. I’m just happy I’m finally getting rid of her.” Donghae’s face looked puzzled, that Jessica added, “After her marriage with Hyukjae, she’s taking a maternity leave, and she might have to switch hospitals to cater both her family and her job. She can’t be the head of Surgery anymore now that she’s going to more busy with her family life.”

“But at least she’s already getting married at her age. She’s not delaying anything in her life.”

“What’s with you people and early marriage? I don’t think marriage is a thing we should rush.”

Donghae sipped on his strawberry milk and replied, “I’m not suggesting to rush marriage, but getting married at our age is not a bad idea. Besides, Tiffany is already accomplished and so is Hyukjae. The only thing that could complete them is a family of their own.”

Jessica could only snort.

“Maybe you’re just jealous that your only girl friend is tying the knot.” Donghae teased. Jessica threw him a glare.

“Yeah~ I’m so jealous that I even want to get married before Tiffany!” Jessica replied sarcastically. Now it was Donghae’s turn to roll his eyes. “You don’t think I could also marry at this age?”

“You already said so yourself that you don’t want a family at this age.” Donghae replied.

“It’s not that I don’t want—“

“But you can’t right?” Donghae butted in. “Do you even have a guy that you could possibly start a family with?” Donghae looked at Jessica with teasing eyes. Jessica gave a defensive look.

“I can have any guy I want! I’m just waiting for the right one…” But Donghae’s mocking eyes got the better of Jessica. “Fine! Let’s bet on it!”

Donghae sat back, with his arms crossed across his chest. “What are the stakes?”

“If whoever from the both of us gets married first wins a 500,000won gift!”

“Hey, why am I included?” Donghae asked. Now it’s Jessica’s turn for revenge.

“You’re a handsome guy; you can have any girl you want.” Jessica paused and gave Donghae a taunting look, “But having any girl that you want doesn’t mean you can have the serious relationship that you’re hoping for. Looks don’t count as love. It can’t save you from a life of serious and endless commitments.”

Challenged, Donghae accepted the bet without any further thinking. “Fine! I’m in!”

Jessica smirked and gave Donghae a taunting stare, “You won’t even have the chance to win. I’ll get married first!”

“Save your threats Dr. Jung, and prepare your 500,000 won. I will have my soon to be Mrs. Lee even before you could have a man in your hands!” Donghae replied with confidence written all over his face.

Let the battle begin.

 

 

so my next update may take another century before it gets posted. haha. just kidding. I'm currently writing the next chapter but as usual, updates will come late. so i hope you don't leave me. TT________________TT

 

p.s.

do you know the rookie group 100%? i'm really into them right now and if i can't make up another fic for them, I might add them as characters here in the story. is it okay? :))) i want them to be known. hehe