2

Unwilling to Give Up

 

“Paging Dr. Jung please proceed to the Emergency Room right now… Paging Dr. Jung please proceed…”

Jessica, in her usual blue scrubs and sneakers, with hair pulled back in a high ponytail pushed through the double doors of the emergency room. The tiled room was packed with patients and medical staff-nurses pacing everywhere, patients screaming out in pain, children crying for attention, telephones ringing everywhere. But above all these, what Jessica hated about the emergency room was the squeaky floors. The medical staffs in the emergency room were required to wear sneakers or rubber shoes to avoid slipping and cause more accidents.

“I hate newly polished floors.” Jessica murmured in irritation. She sighed deeply and placed the stethoscope around her neck. Just as she was about to walk towards a patient, a nurse looking frantic quickly approached her.

“Dr. Jung, I have a patient in Bed 2 and he asked for you.” The nurse started to walk back to the patient with Jessica following her. “He said he suddenly felt dizzy when he was watching TV at home and—“The nurse wasn’t able to finish her report when Jessica suddenly halted right in front of the said patient’s bed.

“Mr. Shin, why are back here again?” Jessica asked in a friendly tone. The man sitting at the edge of the hospital bed, who was around his 60’s smiled at his favourite doctor and replied,

“I took my medicine religiously Dr. Jessica. I don’t know why I suddenly weird earlier.”

“What did you eat before you watched television Mr. Shin?”

The old man scrunched his face, trying to remember his dinner. He shook his head lightly and looked up at Jessica. “It’s Friday night and my wife usually makes beef casserole…” Jessica nodded and removed the stethoscope from her neck. She checked the patient’s breathing and vital signs. And after a lot of questioning from Jessica, she finally said,

“You’re fine Mr. Shin. The casserole you ate wasn’t the reason why you got dizzy. I’m guessing it’s the side effects of the medicine you’re taking, but I still can’t confirm that. I’ll order to run some tests on you—“Jessica paused because the old man was frowning slightly. Jessica put up a warm smile and continued, “Don’t worry Mr. Shin, it’s just routine tests. If we can confirm that the medicine is making you feel weird, then I’ll prescribe a different one.” Jessica patted the old man’s back to comfort him. “You really don’t have to worry Mr. Shin. By the way, where’s your wife? Are you alone?”

“My wife’s at home because she had to take care of our grandkids. But I have a son who’s now a nurse here. He accompanied me here. But he had a duty today so he isn’t here with me.”

Jessica nodded and replied, “It’s good that your son is here Mr. Shin. Can I ask what department your son is in?”

“He’s under your department! Oncology right?” the old man exclaimed. He was now smiling back at Jessica.

“I haven’t met him yet Mr. Shin but I’ll surely welcome him in our department especially since he’s the son of my favourite patient.” Jessica smiled and added, “For now, I’ll refer you to another nurse and she will tend to your need Mr. Shin. If you need anything, just call for me okay?”

The old nodded happily and exclaimed, “Thank you Dr. Jessica! How will I ever get through this without you?” Jessica smiled gratefully and bid goodbye to the old man. She then called the attention of a nurse and ordered to take care of her patient. After that Jessica faced more patients-a woman who got involved in a car accident, a kid with diabetes who fainted, a teenager who accidentally broke her leg and so much more. This day was what Jessica calls potluck because everyone who came in the emergency room, whether it’s related to her expertise or not, she tends to their needs and acts as their temporary doctor. Nevertheless, Jessica kept a warm smile on her face, and kept accepting patients one after another.

Being a doctor was Jessica’s lifetime dream. Born an orphan, Jessica didn’t have anyone to look up to or follow anyone’s footsteps. The desire to become a doctor just suddenly came to her when her childhood best friend-Lee Donghae was rushed to the hospital for appendicitis. Jessica was about 12 years old that time and being unaware of what was happening, she just cried the whole time Donghae was crying out in pain. She never left his best friend’s side even if some of the nuns tried to drag her away from Donghae. She knew Donghae was a bit sickly kid so this made Jessica very worried. That’s when she decided to become a doctor, so she would be the one to take care of Donghae when he’s sick. She held on the promise that she will forever be Donghae’s saviour. The promise, for her, was a lifetime commitment. Because of this Jessica pushed through middle school, became a scholar in high school thanks to a very generous benefactor, and became a working student in college. Though she was still under scholarship, she still took part time jobs as a waitress and delivery girl to pay off other school fees. Jessica was one hardworking girl. She never faltered from her dream. And as the saying goes, “You reap what you sow”, Jessica definitely got everything that she deserved. Because of her perseverance, she graduate from medical school and because she was known as one of the best students in med school, she easily landed a job in a major tertiary hospital in Seoul. She’s an amazing woman. Despite her past, she managed to become the woman that she is now. You would think a lot of people would like her right?

Wrong.

Jessica maybe the best doctor out there but what separates here from other people is her arrogance. A lot of people praise her for her talent but a lot of people also criticize her for being domineering, cold and arrogant. In front of her patients and medical colleagues she’s like an angel but outside the hospital walls people look at her differently. People talk about her based solely on her bad side. They never try to know her good side. Jessica never really minds it though. Yes. She’s an arrogant , but as long as she’s doing her work well without harming other people, it doesn’t really matter to her if people look at her with raised brows.

****

Jessica stretched her arms in the air. Tired and sleepy, she opened the door to her office and immediately dumped herself in a couch at the corner of her office. Jessica was one of the main doctors in the Oncology department in their hospital and was blessed with her own office. Though her office is not really big and there’s nothing astounding about it, her office become her quick escape from the stress of her work. She’d rather laze around her office than go out to spas.

As Jessica was about to fall asleep, her door suddenly flew open and a loud scream greeted her.

“SICAAAA!!!!”

Jessica jumped from her position and quickly stood upright. But as she saw the person that entered, she rolled her eyes and went back to her sleeping position.

“Do you really have to shout Tiffany?” Jessica whimpered.

Another female doctor, with black and wavy hair, dressed in a laboratory gown rushed towards Jessica. Tiffany was pretty, with a charming eye-smile and cheekbones that could go on for days. She was the next person after Donghae that was close to Jessica. They went to med school together. Tiffany had a bright and cheerful personality-a total opposite of Jessica. Tiffany was clinging on to Jessica all through med school and even though Jessica hates it, she didn’t have any choice. Tiffany was as stubborn as she is.

Tiffany stood in front of Jessica with her usual bright eye-smile and proudly showed her hands. Confused, Jessica asked, “New manicure?”

“No silly!” Tiffany paused and sat beside Jessica. She looked like she was about to burst out in excitement. “Hyukjae asked me to marry him!” And even before Jessica could react, Tiffany quickly added, “And we’re having a baby!”

“You’re pregnant?!” Jessica exclaimed, dumbfounded. Tiffany just shook her head in excitement. “But I thought you were going to wait until you’re 30 to have a family?”

“Well for starters, I didn’t exactly say I will wait till I turn 30. I said I want to have a family before I turn 30.”

“And the baby?”

“It just happened. I wasn’t expecting to have a baby either.”

Jessica looked at her friend with suspicious eyes, “The baby isn’t the reason why the two of you are getting married right?”

“Of course not! Hyukjae proposed to me even before we knew that I was pregnant.” Tiffany said in defence.

Jessica took Tiffany hand and gazed at the exquisite diamond ring. She smiled to herself, and then she stared at Tiffany. “I’m happy for you.” Tiffany smiled and hugged her friend.

“Thanks.” Tiffany paused and turned to face the door. “I’m excited but also nervous. I don’t have any idea how to manage a family. I’m a freaking surgeon for heaven’s sake! I only know how to slice up people.”

Jessica chuckled at her friend’s sudden change in reaction. She sighed and replied, “Everyone gets cold feet whenever they know they’ll be getting married. Starting a family is huge and I think everyone’s a bit scared about it.” Jessica paused and made Tiffany face her. “Hyukjae is a good man. If you’re really sure about him, then the both of you can go through the marriage without much burden.”

Teary-eyed, Tiffany hugged Jessica and said, “You’re my maid of honour okay?” Tiffany separated herself from Jessica and with a sly look, she said,

“You should get married before I have my baby okay? I’m only giving you nine months to find a man that you’ll marry.”

Jessica snorted and turned away from Tiffany. “Don’t start with me again Hwang Stephanie…”

“Everyone should marry before turning 30. Even I feel old that I’m getting married at 25.”

Jessica immediately threw her a deathly stare.

Jessica is 26 years old.

Tiffany froze upon seeing her friend’s glare and quickly added, “I’m not saying that you’re old. 26 is still very young and you look younger than 26. Hehe.” Tiffany fixed her gaze at the floor and tried to change the topic. “Did you hear about the new nurse in your department? I heard the new nurse is really cute.”

Jessica dismissed the topic and walked towards her table. “You should make preparations for your maternity leave. You know the papers for the leave takes forever.”

“Ah right! I almost forgot.” Tiffany stood and began heading back to the door. She paused for a while and added, “I’m having a dinner for my close friends tomorrow. Tell Donghae to come okay? Hyukjae wants him to be his best man.”

“Sure. Just text me the time tomorrow.”

“By the way, don’t tell anyone about the engagement okay? I want to be the one to break the news to them.” Jessica nodded and made an “ok” sign with her fingers. “Check out your new nurse okay? See you tomorrow!” Tiffany ended the conversation with a huge smile and happily exited the office. Jessica could only shake her in amusement.

 

 

****

“One Black Forest cake please.”

Jessica stood inside a cake store, picking out the cake she would bring to Tiffany’s diner.

“That would be 10 dollars miss…” the cashier said as she handed out the packaged cake. Jessica paid the bill and was about to walk out the store when she received her phone rang.

Jessica, where are you?”

Jessica didn’t have to ask who was on the other line. She knew very well who that voice belongs to.

“I’m just about to leave the store.” Jessica suddenly paused when she noticed that it already started to rain heavily. “Crap! It’s raining outside. Can you pick me up here? I’m at the cake shop just outside the hospital.”

Okay. Wait for me.”

Jessica sighed as she ended the phone call. She turned to the cashier and asked, “Can I wait here for a moment? I have a friend that will pick me up.”

“I’m sorry miss but we’re about to close now.” The cashier apologized. Jessica sighed and with heavy footsteps, she stepped out the store. She took out her umbrella and was about to open it when suddenly—

CRASH!

The umbrella and the cake that Jessica was holding flew from her hands and landed on the concrete floor.

“Oww!” Jessica cried in pain. She had stumbled on the floor, first. “Watch where you’re going!”

A young man in his 20s who also stumbled from the crash stood up. He was about to offer Jessica a hand when he suddenly let out a laugh.

Jessica’s had landed on the Black Forest cake she just bought.

It took a few moments before Jessica realized that she was indeed sitting on the cake. Her pristine white, pencil skirt was now covered with chocolate and cherry stains.

Great. Just great.

“YAAAH!!!” Jessica hollered. She was now fuming with anger. The young lad swore he saw smoke come out from Jessica’s ears.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to—“

Before the young man could finish his apologies, Jessica started yelling at him nonstop while struggling to stand up. The young lad offered his hands but Jessica quickly slapped his hand away.

“Look at what you did to me?! I look awful!” Jessica was now sporting a stained white skirt, her blouse wet from the floor and her hair damp from the rain. It wasn’t a beautiful sight.

“I’ll pay for your dress! I’m really sorry—“the young man sounded frantic. He took a small card from his jacket and handed it to Jessica. “Here’s my card. Call me anytime you need me to pay for your dress. I’m really sorry but I’m in a rush. I need to go.” And he was gone even before Jessica could yell back at him. Jessica could only grit her teeth in irritation. She looked at the card the man gave her and she thought of crumpling it, but decided against it.

“I’ll make him pay!” She yelled. She turned around checked her outfit the store’s window. The awful sight only mad her angrier.

She was in the verge of tears at was planning to make a call when somebody suddenly called her name.

“JESSICA!”

The frustrated Jessica spun around and saw Donghae running towards her with an anxious look. “What happened to you?! Are you okay?!” Donghae immediately removed his jacket and wrapped it around his best friend.

“A guy bumped into me and I slipped and the cake flew and here I am, looking like a beggar.” Jessica said, still looking upset.

“But you’re not harmed or anything right?” Donghae asked nervously as he tried to fix Jessica’s hair. “We’ll go straight to the hospital right now. I’ll call Tiffany and explain to her.”

Jessica shook her head and replied, “I just want to go home.”

Donghae nodded and put his left arms over Jessica. His right hand held the umbrella and he guided Jessica to his car.

“You can go to Tiffany’s after you get me home Donghae.” Jessica said. She was already nestled in the car. Donghae started the engine and replied,

“I’ll call Tiffany and explain to her. I just can’t leave you like that.” Donghae paused and looked at his upset friend. He was holding back a laugh. Jessica looked really funny to him-she really does look like a beggar. Jessica noticed this and started to laugh by herself. Donghae laughed after her.

“Yah. Don’t ever tell anyone about this or else…”

“Okay. Okay. I get it. You don’t have to remind me.” Donghae chuckled and shook his head in amusement.

“Let’s go home.” 

 

A/N:

hi! ^^ 

I'm still in process of editing the story so if you find grammatical errors and mispelled words, please, PLEASE inform me so I can correct them. :))

I'm not a lazy writer but story updates might come late because of some other things. kekekeke.

anyways, thanks for the people who subscribed to this story! I hope you enjoyed it! ^^