Promise

Boy Meets Nerd Turned

 

Siwon met her when they were assigned as partners for a project.

 

How very cliché.

 

But I was not intent on being very possessive of either, since I didn’t really want to drive either of them away.

 

But I would admit that I felt some twinges of jealousy when I saw them getting along so well with each other.

 

Over time, they seemed to get closer and over time I could feel Siwon drift over to spend more time with Jessica than with me.

 

But that was okay. Jessica came over to my house a lot. My parents began to notice, but they decided to just call it a charity project and ignore it.

 

Jessica was my best friend. She was the only one I trusted enough with all of my inner thoughts. The only one I laughed with every day. The only one who ever saw the real me.

 

“Do you hate me?”

 

The question came out of nowhere. She was lounging on her stomach on my queen-sized bed with a large red pillow under her chest. I was sitting on the edge of the bed, a textbook in my hand.

 

Her long hair drooped down the side of the bed as she leaned over the edge next to me, her delicate hand reaching down to play with the fluffy carpeting.

 

“Of course not.”

 

I looked affronted. I felt affronted. I actually showed my true emotions around her. It was so surprising to me.

 

“Would you ever hate me?”

 

She looked hesitant, she was terrified of my response. I felt happy. I meant as much to her as she meant to me.

 

“Never. I could never, ever hate you.”

 

I smiled reassuringly.

 

“Promise?”

 

“Promise.”

 

Our voices were both childish and small. I felt like a child, one whose eyes light up in delight at having their first ever friend.