Burning

Boy Meets Nerd Turned

 

My hand slowly curled into a fist. My other lightly held chopsticks.

 

Quickly, I relaxed my hand and picked up my water bottle. Taking two long sips, I glanced over to the source of my irritation.

 

Siwon and Jessica sat together at a table. He was talking animatedly, and she was nodding, smiling, and laughing.

 

If I hadn’t known better, I would have thought they were an amazing couple.

 

I was jealous. Jealousy burned deep within the pit of my stomach and threatened to consume me.

 

“I’m going to get some fresh air.”

 

I threw out my garbage on the way out and walked slowly to a large tree in the courtyard. I sat down rather glumly and straightened out my skirt gently with my hands.

 

I must have looked rather forlorn sitting by myself.

 

Jessica soon came out and stood in front of me. After tentatively glancing at me, she sat a slight distance away from me. After she sat, I gave her a sidelong glance.

 

Then I turned back facing forward. Siwon stood staring silently at us both. He quickly turned back around and sat down with some other friends.

 

I half turned towards Jessica and started to speak quietly.

 

“Can I… go over to your house again?”

 

She nodded once and then looked after Siwon, staring at his back turned towards us.

 

I smiled gently and turned my gaze down to my lap where my fingers twiddled mildly.