Chapter 3 Arriving at a New Home

Steel My Heart

 

Chapter 3

ZELO’S POV

“Attention, everyone assemble on the bridge immediately,” Boomed a voice from the intercom on the far side of the wall.

Zelo could tell the voice was someone of importance most likely the captain of the ship he was currently on. Zelo turned toward the man in front of him named Jongup.

He has thin blonde hair that is short, his dark brown eyes look like the bark of a tree that has been lit on fire, still brown but more black than anything. The eyes are outlined by blackened skin which is the result of constant and tedious work that he had been doing for the past few days without stop. There are oil smudges and filth that encrusts Jongup’s face but underneath you can tell he has an extremely handsome face.

He has large orange goggle’s that seem much too large for his face. Zelo subsided his grip on Jongup’s collar and then slowly lifted himself off the table. Jongup straightened himself up and then came over to Zelo 

“Don’t be alarmed I’m just closing your chest plating.”  

He said as he slowly reached up to the two chest plating’s that opened up so you could see the gears and mechanics that made Zelo work. There was click as the plating’s locked into place as they closed, now Zelo looked completely human. Jongup motioned to the door leading to the bridge and said, 

“We should probably let the rest of the crew meet you and get debriefed for our mission.” 

Zelo began to walk through the door when Jongup stopped him “You should probably put on some clothes first.” 

“No time for that.” Zelo said as he quickly walked out the door’s and followed the signs toward the bridge. 

He could hear Jongup shouting to him telling him to come back but Zelo kept moving forward towards his objective. Zelo arrived at the bridge and immediately noted there were three people already here.

The first one he spotted was off to his left in the corner of the room. The man was curled into the fetal position in a chair that was much too large for him and was looking at one of the many screens that covered the walls of the bridge. It seemed as though the corner that the man was in was the only corner that the bright light from outside couldn’t reach.

When Zelo looked closer he saw that the man was looking at a screen with a dark blue background and many moving pictures that seemed to repeat themselves. 

The next man also had blonde hair and flawless skin but this man had a something different about him. Zelo would have to investigate another time.

The last man was the most intense, you could tell the others respected him the most, it was apparent that he was the leader of this group. The intense one turned and one of his eyebrows lifted and he stared for a few seconds then motioned for Zelo to come forward. 

“I am a Z310 Cyborg reporting for duty sir!” Zelo barked raising his arm for a salute, the other two turned both at sound of his voice and stared with large eyes,

“At ease soldier,” the man said returning the salute with a military precision only a soldier could have. Zelo then dropped his arm but before he could ask the man anything Jongup came running in panting and sweating still only half dressed. 

“Woah!!! What were you and robo boy here doing in the back of the ship…huh Jongup?”

“Nothing you idiot, I was running a check up and this damn fool ran out before I could give him any clothes.”

“It just seems like you’re holding back all the juicy details, but I the great Himchan know of all your secrets!”

The man in the corner finally spoke up and said,

“Is this what the governess asked you to build Jongup?” he spoke in a soft voice that could barely be heard.

“Yes it is, this is one of my greatest creations yet!” Jongup emphasized his words by outstretching his arms and reaching towards the sky.

Before the conversation could go on another blond haired man walked in. He is wearing a lab coat but underneath he is still wearing the same uniform as the others except for Jongup, a black and green shirt that is long sleeved and has a high collar with black pants and shoes. His name tag read Youngjae.

The man was whistling a tune and looking down as he walked into the crowded room. As soon as he looked up his face turned even paler than its already pasty shade of white. He looked at Jongup then at Zelo then back and forth between the two of them a few more times and finally said,

“Did I not get the memo or something?” 

 

Once Zelo had been fully dressed everyone reconvened at the bridge for the debriefing of their mission. They were all gathered around the table in the middle of the room with Bang at the front. Bang spoke first,

“Now that we are all dressed let’s start the debriefing but first we’ll have our new crew member introduce himself.”

Bang and the rest of the crew looked toward Zelo and stared with intense eyes that would’ve left anyone else in that position shaking in their boots but Zelo felt nothing so he just stared back and said,

“Hello, I am a Z310 Cyborg but you can call me Zelo.” Bang then said in quick reply,

“Hello Zelo my name is Bang Yong Guk and I am the captain of this vessel.”

The one called Himchan spoke next with a light voice that sounded almost like singing instead of talking.

“Hey as you already know my name is Himchan and I’m the first mate, it’s nice to meet you,” and then he did something very unexpected. Himchan’s mouth curved itself into the shape of what roughly looked like a U.

What was he doing with his face? It looked extremely strange to Zelo, maybe he was hurt, or maybe he was constipated. In any case Zelo made note of it then looked at the next crew member. It was the man named Youngjae, it was obvious that he was a scientist of some sort because of his white lab coat.

“My name is Youngjae and I’m the scientist who has been tasked with analyzing the data we collect here, it’s good to see that your dressed now.” Zelo stared with a soul less expression that just exemplified his cold exterior and his desolate interior.

The next to speak is the one that was sitting in the corner of the bridge. He speaks so quietly if you were not paying attention you wouldn't have even known he was speaking.

“Hello, my name is Daehyun I’m here to help with the observation’s in the field.” He then quickly receded back into the invisible cocoon of his mind. And finally the man that Zelo had woken up to, Jongup. 

“You already know that I’m Jongup, but I’m also the engineer that was tasked with building you and now maintaining your body while we are on our mission.” 

“What is the mission we have been tasked with?” Zelo blurted out surprising the others.

“We are here to gather data on the world called Earth which we are currently on. This is a mission of the utmost importance for Planet Mato and the Governess. She has personally asked our crew to take on this mission.”

“Wow, the Governess came off her high horse to ask us lowly peasants for help, i feel sooooo honored.” Himchan said with an obvious sense of sarcasm in his voice. Bang continued completely disregarding Himchan’s comment.

“We are to integrate ourselves into a normal Earth high school and learn all we can to see if they are potentially hostile and if not then we must see if Matoians could begin to live here as humans.”

“So where does the tin man over here come in?” Youngjae interjected quickly,

“I can explain,” Jongup said “the Governess didn’t want to put us into direct danger so she had me make this cyborg so we can constantly observe the humans without them even knowing.” 

“Well now that everything has been sorted out are there any questions?” Bang added,

Zelo raised his hand right away, waiting for Bang to call on him. Bang and the rest looked at Zelo with strange expressions of disbelief. 

“Did you program with the mind of a six year old Jongup?” Himchan taunted,

“Shut up, he’s just very polite that’s all.” Jongup countered.

“Yes, what is it Zelo?” Bang asked,

“When I go into the human high school, I’ll be all alone won’t I?”

“Yes you will be the only one who goes into the school, we will all stay at the housing unit that we have been provided.” Zelo processed this information and came to the conclusion that being alone might not be so bad...

“Well if thats all, gather your things and let’s head out.” Bang gave the order and the crew scurried out of the bridge like mice for cheese.

Zelo waltzed out of the bridge very slowly and methodically, he walked down the winding halls and dimly lit corridors. He finally found himself in a large hangar type room, it was completely empty except for a large object covered by a white sheet.

Zelo walked over to the object and grasped the cover then yanked it away to reveal a black rectangular object which had two circles on each side of it. There were also two doors on either side and one in back. Zelo thought to himself,

“What kind of spaceship is this???”

He continued his self guided tour and walked over to one of the sides of the room where a small red light was flashing repeatedly without faltering. Curiosity overtook him and Zelo pushed the button as soon as he pushed it an angry rumbling began to shake the floor.

Zelo quickly assumed a fighting stance but there was no need because the only thing that happened was that a part of one of the walls dropped down to reveal a bright light. Zelo slowly walked towards it then stopped right before the doorway ended. He took one last look over his shoulder and then stepped out into the sunlight.

Zelo was blinded for about thirty seconds before his eye’s started to adjust. As soon as they adjusted he could see the world he would call home for the next few months or maybe years.

It was endless, not like the enclosed and claustrophobic hallways of the ship. Zelo was experiencing something he’s never experienced before, a sense of amazement.

He gazed around taking everything in, the wind locked in tango with the trees, that only the two of them can understand. The grass glistening with morning dew. Zelo could see every drop glide down each blade, the smell hit him suddenly.

A smell he couldn’t quite decipher, everything in the world was blending together, the aroma of the flowers mixing with the smell of sap coating the trees enclosing him.

Zelo knew he was going to enjoy this mystical world.