Winter

Seasons

 

The person who sat across from me was not the bright effervescent blonde boy I fell in love with those years ago. He was a man, grown up and grown into himself. His broader shoulder stood strong in his tailored suit, his features sharper. But that smile he had talking to the man at his side was still distinctly his own.

 

He didn’t pass me a second glance as Dongwook and I sat. I couldn’t find myself surprised. I was hardly the boy he would have remembered. I traded in the oversized street wear for custom fit suits, not long after the baby fat that hung to my jaw was lost. My hair no longer hid my awkward stare, but instead was pushed high and away.

 

He was sure not to recognize me, and I knew better than to say a word to him. My complete grasp on the world around me would have otherwise though.

“Seunghyun.” Dongwook gently nudged me back to reality, where I had been lost in staring. I quickly turned to meet his gaze.

“Someone you know?” he whispered eyes glancing up to where Jiyong sat.

I followed his gaze, now to be met with those same soft umber eyes, staring directly at me. With the upturn of those full lips I found myself falling back into those hot summer nights, and subsequent harsh winter.

 

My thoughts did little to follow the meeting that was held around me, and as soon at it seemed to begin it was over, and I was left to face the reality that sat across from me. That smile met my gaze again and he stood to meet me. His arms wrapped around me and I found the warmth I had long search for.

 

“Hyung. It’s been a long time.” He pulled back smiling, his silken voice still found their way deep into my chest, but now his words stung. They held none of the yearning, the longing that I feared, I knew, would be held in mine.

“It has, it has.” It took everything in me to let him pull away, to let him go again.

“We have to grab drinks and catch up. Do you work tomorrow?”

“Ah no.”

“Good! Good. Let’s grab drinks in Sinsa tomorrow night. Here,” He pulled a small business card from his pocket. “My cell number’s on the back. Just give me a call when you’re free.” He pulled me in for another hug and I thought, I hoped, I felt his grasp linger, if only for a moment.

“It’s good to see you.” He left me with one last smile before departing with his coworkers, leaving nothing but a lingering warmth.

 

I felt as though my world may collapse on itself from the weight of all the thoughts that now ran through my head, when my self destruct was halted by a strong pat on the back.

 

“So, care to enlighten me?” Dongwook, of course.

“Not particularly.”

“So cold.” He feigned hurt, but he was right. I was cold. I had been for many winters past, but now I the sun had appeared in the dead of December, and I feared I might melt.

 

Sorry for the short chapter. It just felt like the best place to leave off, because the next chapter, we hear from Jiyong.

Thank you for reading!