All Apps Pt.1

How to Write a Successful App!

This chapter will finally dig into the meat of an app. We're finally going to start to build a character! The genre I'm going to work with now is the common type of app you'll usually find around AFF. The app is usually found in comedy/romantic/group creation stories. There might be more, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.


Characters Name: (Or just Name since this will most likely be the beginning of a new section.) Self-explanatory, what is the name of your character? If the author doesn't allow a certain race in their story (like it doesn't make sense depending on the setting of the story), try not to name your character something they wouldn't usually be called. So for example, if you choose to make your character Korean, as that is what most people do anyway, try to come up with KOREAN names. You can always check out baby names if you're stuck on a name. 

If you're character is multi-ethnic, meaning they have parents from different countries, then you can be a bit more creative with the names. Let's pretend our character is Korean-Canadian:

An example of this part - (Characters Name: Jennifer Park) 

I never used this in any of my apps, but it's still suitable for our use!

The important thing is to always read what the author wrote in the paranthesis if they are there. If they want you to write the name in the Last Name, First Name structure, you need to follow that structure. I used a First Name, Last Name structure in the example above. 

------------------------------------------- 

Nickname(s): This is usually optional, and I don't really fill this part in but if you're intent on making a really creative app, you have a great chance with this part. The only problem people have with this section, that I've seen, is that they write down a nickname but never mention its meaning! Nicknames are nicknames because they have a history behind them! Along with a history, nicknames are usually just used by certain people. Remember that you can also have multiple nicknames! Just don't put down so many your author gets bored with your app before even finishing it.

An example of this part - (Nickname: Kitty - Her best friend calls her this because of her affixation to cats.)

It can be a bit difficult to come up with a good and believable nickname, but once you do come up with one it makes your character stand out just that much more~

-------------------------------------------

Date of Birth or Age: Certain applications have either one or the other, or they combine it into one part. They also will most likely want the age to be in international age but again, read all the parenthesis your author provides you with. If your author does want international age, but you arent quite sure what that means you always have your trusty friend google as your guide! XD But if you want a very basic explanation, it's basically how old they would be in Korea. 

What is really helpful is to find an idol with the birthday or age you want your character to be and just copy down their birthday/age. 

An example of this part - (Date of Birth - Age: January 1, 1992 - 20)

-------------------------------------------

Birthplace: Where was your character born? This is where you have to start thinking about your characters history. A person born in Korea can be completely different from a person born in America, even if they haven't stayed their after their birth. It's a part of their background and shapes them as a person. I haven't seen much of a preferred format for this part so try to stick with the [city] - [country] format. 

An example of this part - (Birthplace: Gwanju - South Korea)

-------------------------------------------

Hometown: People may confuse this with birthplace, but this part means where a person spent their childhood in! Basically, where did your character grow up? This can be the same place as the Birthplace, so you can choose to keep it the same if you wish. 

An example of this part - (Hometown: Ottawa - Canada)

See how I'm already making our example character into a multi-ethnic girl with just a few parts in the app? 

-------------------------------------------

Ethnicity: A basic definition of the word means a group of people whose members are identified through a common trait. For apps, it can be simply the countries your characters parents are from that made your character. 

An example of this part - (Ethnicity: Korean-Canadian)

Don't get crazy with this part, most authors wont care about how specific you get so just try to be as general as you can be. Don't make your character 1/4 anything, I can't state it enough, be general! 

-------------------------------------------

Languages: Not every app has this part, it can mostly be found in "boy/girl group" fics since idols are always boasted about the amount of languages they can speak. If you see this in your application it can almost always be found with parenthesis of a maximum your author wants you to respect. What I hate is when I get an app with a bajillion languages listed. Like, be reasonable people. Do you yourself know fifty languages? The chances are slim, and you know why? Because learning languages can be difficult for most people. So try to keep your app REASONABLE. 

An example of this part - (Languages: Korean(fluent), English(fluent), French(conversational))

You see what I did there? Because of her background it makes SENSE that she is fluent in both Korean and English. Also, understanding that a good portion of the Canadian population speaks French, it could be possible that our character had learned French while in school or just going to different cities in her country. 


Last Note! And that about does it for this section! I wonder if I explained certain areas well enough... hmm... Well! If I have confused any of you, or you need further explanation, please do not be afraid to ask below in the comments section. Also... It would be nice if you guys let me know if I've been of any help at all. >.<~