Chapter 7:

Pulling at the Roots

The sun shined its rays into his bedroom. The light escaped through the gaps in between the shutters and reflected itself across his face. He was still peacefully at rest. His eyes were shut and his mouth drooped in his sleep. He pulled the blankets up to his neck during his rest. It was a pure habit to cradle himself underneath the blankets. It felt like a safety to him. Hoya looked like a totally different person in his sleep. 

A harsh knock on his door, accompanied by a rough voice, woke Hoya up. "Bro! It's almost 12! Wake up!" 

"Go away!" Hoya drowsily replied back. 

"Fine, you can miss out on the food," the voice stubbonly answered. 

Hoya sighed in relief and snuggled deeper in the cushions. But. just as he fell into dreamland, his stomach called out to him. A large moan from his stomach forced Hoya awake. In defeat, Hoya got out of bed and checked his appearance in the mirror that sat on his bedside. The mirror reflected Hoya's pure exhaustion. His hair pointed in different directions and he still wore the suit and tie that he left with the night before. His eye bags seemed deeper than they usually were. Hoya chuckled as he loosened the knot of his tie.

"I could've gone back to Seoul," he thought to himself, "But, I didn't. All because of the stupid radio DJ." 

As he changed to a more comfortable attire, Hoya thought about the voice of the DJ. She was obviously a woman. Her voice captivated the audience and attracted lost souls like Hoya. Hoya could picture the motherly sounding voice calling out the souls of Busan into the night air.  

"Who is the crazy woman?" Hoya laughed as he left his bedroom. 


"What were you kids planning on doing today?" asked Hoya's mother. 

The four young adults shrugged as they continued their attack on the food on their plates. Hyomin, Woohyun, and Dongwoo expected their best friend to choose the plans. This trip was planned for him in the first place. 

"I was thinking we'd do whatever Hoya wanted," suggusted Hyomin, "Maybe a visit to some of your favorite places? How does that sound Hoya?"

Hoya stuffed a spoonful of rice into his mouth and shook his head. He made a cross with his forearms and swallowed his food. "We can do anything, but I wanted to do something on my own this afternoon. I kind of need to find someone today," replied Hoya.

"Who?" asked Dongwoo.

Hoya stuffed another spoonful in his mouth, "Just a friend."


 

Time: 7:15am

Location: ?, Busan

Date: 4/19/2012

Hoya adjusted his position in his car seat to peer at the building at the other end of the street. His eyes shifted from the building to his phone, in an almost instant confusion. Was he at the right place? A three story building stood at the end of the street. Hoya could feel the gloomy aura of the building from his car. The building was covered with dirty glass windows and tattered posters of old bands that would probably not come back in style. On the very top, a radio antenna stood at a crooked slant.

For a split second, Hoya could barely remember why he had made the trip down to such a rundown area. He was sure there was an important reason to be here, but the blinding sight of the run-down radio station practically wiped that reason from his mind. The thought that such a captivating voice could come from such a place. Who even thought that there was a place like this in Busan? 

"Is she really in there?" Hoya scoffed in disbelief. 

Hoya pushed his detest aside and got out of his car, slamming the car door behind him. He walked down the empty street, where only the taps of his shoes could be heard against the silence. He stood in an awkward confusion infront of the building and stared at the front door. 

The second he opened that door, Hoya would face someone who can possibly help him and his... problem. "Umma, said I'd find my answer here in Busan," Hoya said to himself, "The faster I do this, the fast I can get back to swallowing shots." 

Hoya stood up straight and attempted to compose himself. He pulled at the ends of his blazer and blew out the remaining air from his lungs. He walked up the cement steps and pulled open the glass door. 

"Whoa," he muttered as he walked past the now closing glass doors. The Busan radio station was more than the eye could see. It's outside appearance had no reflection to the interior of the building. Decorated would modern contemporary and classic art pieces, just the waiting lobby of the the building left Hoya feeling dumbfounded. 

"Can I help you?" asked a receptionist from a table in the center of the room, "Do you have an appointment?"

Hoya shook the disbelief off and walked up to the front desk. "No, but I need to speak to that woman who DJ's the 11pm show "Pulling at the Roots". Can I speak with her?" 

The receptionist pressed her brows together and pressed a few keys on her keyboard, "Ms. HyoJoo is incredibly busy. You should have scheduled an appointment with her. Not many can just walk up to Ms. HyoJoo's office. If you want, we can schedule you an appointment for next month on--"

Hoya slammed his fist on the table, "I need to speak to her so I can get back to Seoul. Let me go upstairs and find her!"

The receptionist's eyes flashed with fear, "S-Sir, I really can't. It would go against our companies policies and-- oh, Ms. HyoJoo!"

"What seems to be the problem?" asked an all too familiar voice, "Ms. Kim, is this man bothering you?" 

Hoya spun around, totally ignoring the receptionist's complaints, to face the person who could possibly fix him... 

 


I'm incredibly sorry for not updating. I've been busy with school and such. 

But there will be more updates to come. especially now that I've figured out where I'm going with this story.