Bestfriend

Bestfriend

 

It was one of those weekly coffee dates you had with Baekhyun. Well, you don’t really want to call it a date because you two weren’t really dating. More like a required meeting, per se. You would catch up on all the things you’ve been up to for the week. It wasn’t as bad as it sounds. You enjoyed it. Baekhyun was really fun to be with. You’ve been best friends since you were 10 and you’ve just been so used to being around each other for a long time.

A fresh graduate, working once you stepped out of college. You were a working as a researcher in the history department of the university you graduated from. Baekhyun was studying his masters in music in another university. Though you had different schedules in school, you would still both have time after class to meet, but after college was different. He had night classes and you worked the whole day. It was hard. You both have free time at around 3 just after your work, and until 5 which is the start of his first class.

This day was different though. You’re not even sure if Baekhyun was going because you brought someone else along to your ‘best friend date’.

“It’s okay if I don’t go. He might hate me for going,” said the guy beside you, squirming on your grip to his arm.

“Come on Kris, I told him so much about you. He doesn’t hate you,” you assured him, dragging him into the café you’ve been too accustomed to. “And he told me he wants to meet you. And stop fidgeting.”

You went to your usual spot by the window and asked the waiter to add another chair. He was clearly surprised to see Kris and not Baekhyun, and adding another chair at that. Kris sat down beside you and looked more nervous compared to him defending his findings. He was from work, researching about the World War II, the same topic you oh so love. He graduated from a university directly from China, a country which has a very rich history during the world wars.

“Stop being so nervous, you’re not meeting my father,” you laughed. He tried to laugh too, but he failed.

A familiar voice echoed through the establishment and you clearly know whose voice it belonged to. And was surprised to hear another familiar voice. Too familiar.

The two approached the table very casually, while Baekhyun was obviously giving you the stare. You stared at him back, with one eyebrow raised. Introductions were made like nothing was wrong.

“Kris, this is Baekhyun, my best friend. And Yixing” – addressing the guy beside Baekhyun – “my friend from high school.” You gave Baekhyun the confused look and he just smirked back at you. That jerk. “This is Kris, my boyfriend.”

“Nice to meet you,” Kris said smiling and offering his hand. He’s always so polite. And clueless.

“Nice to meet you too,” Baekhyun replied with a cheeky grin. “Yixing here is also my classmate from masters.” Yixing nodded.

“Oh what are you taking up?” Kris said while all of you were sitting down. Baekhyun grabbed a chair from another table like it was the most natural thing in the world.

“Music!” He said so enthusiastically.

“That’s nice,” said Kris in his always respectful tone.

The waiter arrived with glasses of water. You were so confused and totally out of it because why the hell would he bring Yixing along. Without telling you even? You hastily took a sip from the glass but it missed your lips, resulting for the water to spill all over your slacks instead.

As if on cue, Kris and Yixing grabbed for a tissue, but of course Kris was the only one fit for that job. Yixing sat back on his seat. Kris was oblivious to the awkward aura, which makes you wonder how he was the top student of his batch.

“Told you she was still clumsy as ever,” Baekhyun said, nudging Yixing’s side. Yixing laughed that cute and wonderful laugh he always did, making his dimples deeper than it already was.

 “During one of our dates, she spilled shake. It was a total mess,” Yixing said so casually. Kris got confused.

You stopped dead at your tracks. And gave Baekhyun the death stare once again. You hesitated for a long time before saying “Yixing was my boyfriend in high school.”

Kris just nodded and looked even more confused.

“Even took her to senior prom,” Baekhyun chimed. Why was he being a total . “We would love to stay and chat a little bit more but it’s almost 5. We have class.”

Kris stood up first and thanked them for coming, hoping that they could talk more next time and other polite things polite people say to people they just met. The two replied but all of it sounded like mumbling because you were too angry at Baekhyun right now. You couldn’t even look at him.

You both sat once more, with Kris’ hand on your shoulder, comforting you. “I’m sorry” was the only thing you managed to say.

“It wasn’t that bad. They were nice,” Kris said with a bright smile.

“It was a disaster. I’m sorry. I didn’t know what Baekhyun was up to. I’ll talk to him about it some other time.”

“We all have those type of friends, don’t worry,” Kris assured you and kissed you on the forehead.

And yeah, that was why he was your best friend. Because he still cares so much.