To The Beautiful You : The Long Goodbye - Part 1

To The Beautiful You : The Long Goodbye

Kang Tae Joon ran through the glass doors of Incheon International Airport, frantically looking around the departure area.

image

(please ignore the text on the pic- lols)

 

With the phone glued to his ears, he asked, “where are you? Mwo? Counter F26? Arasso. Have you checked in? Wait..,wait for me.”

As he ran, he saw Goo Jae Hee standing by the counters with her luggage by her side and the backpack Tae Joon gave her on her back.

He crushed her into a tight embrace as soon as he reached her.

image

“Bad girl, you bad bad girl!” He scolded her.

“How can you think if leaving me like this?” He cried, tears of relief flowing down his cheeks at the sight of her in front of him.

Jae Hee's tear dried face was now wet again, herself clinging to Tae Joon for her dear life.

“Mianhe, mianhe,” was all she could say.

image

“It's ok, it's ok, you're still here,” he said smiling through his tears, cupping her face.

“Have you checked in?”

“Ani,” she shook her head.

“Ani?” Tae Joon repeated. “Then stay. Stay with me a couple of days. Postpone your flight.”

image

“Uhh? Daniel oppa is waiting.”

“Call him. Tell him you have to settle a few things here. Please,” Tae Joon pleaded. 

“Please stay with me a while longer.”

He continued, “How can you leave like this. We have to plan our future together.”

“Eh?” 

“Mwo? Do you think if you leave Genie High, you would leave my life too. No, no way,” Tae Joon said angrily.

“Have you forgotten all the things we promised to do together. Let’s talk about this. Postpone your flight. Please…” he asked her again. 

Jae Hee nodded silently.

Tae Joon needed no other encouragement. He grabbed the passport and ticket that was in Jae Hee's hands and pulled her with him to the customer services counter.

As he sorted the flight postponement, Jae Hee texted Daniel telling him she had to stay a few days longer to sort a few things out. She could not bring herself to talk to her brother directly.

Tae Joon came back a few minutes later with a fresh ticket in hand.

image

“It's on Sunday evening. All flights tomorrow are fully booked and have massive waiting lines,” he explained. 

It was Friday afternoon and Tae Joon had run off right after he completed the high jump event at the National School Athletics Competition. The event ended with him in first place at 2.31m and Hyun Jae in second place at 2.29m – making them qualified for the 2016 Olympics training. Hyun Jae, relieved  that his jump partner decided to stay on for the jumps and not forsake everything to go after Goo Jae Hee, offered to bring his bags back to the school for him.

With that reassurance and only his sports bag with him, Tae Joon jumped on the first taxi he managed to hail and head straight to the airport. His only hope was that Jae Hee saw and heard his plea on national television to wait for him.

image

His relief came after a few calls, Jae Hee answered saying that she just got off the bus at the airport and would be waiting for him at the departure hall.

So, after the issue if the flight postponement was settled, at a fee of course, Tae Joon took Jae Hee by the hand again and led her to the get a taxi outside the airport - her luggage fast trailing behind them.

Tae Joon refused to let her hand go even when they got onto the taxi, afraid that she will just disappear if he were to let go.

When the taxi did not go the familiar route towards Genie High, Jae Hee looked at Tae Joon questioningly. The taxi ferried them straight into the heart of Seoul.

“Well you can't go back to school, right?” was Tae Joon’s only answer, smiling tentatively, he pulled their clasped hands onto his lap.

They ended up at the Grand Hayatt instead. The ever cash rich Tae Joon got a room under his name while Jae Hee waited farther in somewhere near the coffee house. 

image

Once he got them the keys, Tae Joon gave them to Jae Hee and asked her to head on to the room first.

“I'll get us some food and snacks. I feel hungry all of a sudden,” he smiled sweetly. 

He had already texted Hyun Jae asking him to tell the coach he would be spending the weekend at his father’s.

image

He omitted the real facts as to why he would not be going back to the dorms – preferring to keep Jae Hee’s extra days of stay in Seoul a secret, lest the other boys including Eun Gyul get the whiff of it.
 
“Go on. I'll press the bell when I arrive afterwards,” Tae Joon coaxed Jae Hee.

 image

 

– End of Part 1 -