.

Memories

 

He picks up the phone and dials the somehow familiar number. He doesn't even know why he is calling this particular number. It has been years since he last spoke to him. He doesn't even know if he still uses this number. ''And what if he still uses it? What am I going to tell him?'' He thinks as he waits for the call to be answered. 


''Hello, I'm Bang Yongguk and i'm your new seatmate,'' The guy next to me, who apparently just transferred here today, smiled as he said that.  

I didn't know what to say. It felt as if time just froze. I had been a loner for the past few years and now this guy who just transferred chose the seat, out of all the seats he could choose of, next to mine.

He had been my best friend since that day. 

He was the first one to ignore all the rumours about me.

He was the first one to initiate a conversation with me

The first one to hang out with me.

To be there for me when i'm sad.

To celebrate my birthday when nobody else would, not even my parents.

He was the first one to accept me for who I was. 

I was grateful. Not only because he wanted to befriend me, but because he changed me. He was the reason I became confident about myself. I became more talkative and people suddenly wanted to befriend me. It felt so weird. Nobody ever wanted to talk to me, so why would they want to befriend me all of the sudden? I thought they were genuine, but I guess I was wrong. 

They made me want to embrace my popularity and forget about him. My hero. 

It worked.

I stopped talking to him. 

He did try to talk to me, but I ignored him. I didn't want be a loner anymore. 

He made new friends and so did I.

We drifted apart.

But then one day, when I walked out of the school. I saw my friends in front of the school gate. Something was off. I took a closer look and saw they were beating someone up. I ran up to them and saw it was him. My hero. There was blood everywhere. I was pretty sure some bones were broken. I wanted to stop them, I really did, but my body didn't want to move. 

My friends were laughing when they saw me. 

I fell on my knees.

'P-Please don't..' Was the only thing I could say at that moment.  

Their laughter faded away and they gave me a strict look. 

'Him or us?'

They made me choose. 

They made me ing choose. 

They went to the other side of the gate. 

'Him or us?' They asked again.

I didn't know what to do. 

My heart was beating like crazy. 

I got dizzy.

I felt like puking.

'I'm sorry,' I whispered.

I stood up and went to them.

Something didn't feel right.

I looked back one more time before I left. 


Click. The call is answered. 

''Hello!'' A young kid, probably around 4 or 5, cheerfully says. 

''Minah, who is it?'' Someone in the background asks. 

He knows that voice. 

He knows it.
...
''Who is this?'' The kid probably gave the phone to him. 

''Your voice didn't change one bit, Bang Yongguk,'' 

He waits a whole heartbeat before asking again, ''.. Who are you?'' 

''I'm so sorry.''

He hangs up.