Sand Dollar Necklace

Sea of Sadness

Playlist

Four Years Ago

 

"Mom, dad, I'm going out for a while," you said to your parents before exiting your summer house.

"Okay. But Joosun-ah, be back before dinner time," your mom called after you.

This summer, instead of spending time with your friends in Seoul, your parents had rented a house that's a few minutes away from the boardwalk and beach. You were already loving this place even though you have only been here for an hour.

You pass all the houses with the same designs on your street and took a left. The ocean's breeze gently blew your white summer dress. You were suppose to wear a hat in this critical summer heat, but who cares, the sun felt warm on your cheeks. You looked up at the clouds that didn't dare to cover the bright big star. They were all in different shapes. You were pretty sure one looked like a heart with an arrow through it.

You soon reach the boardwalk and it was filled with stands, each with different activities. Food stands, face paintings stands, drawing stands, T-shirts stands, et cetera, et cetera.

You walked along the avenue, looking for something in particular. There you go, an ice cream stand! You ordered a vanilla flavored cone—your favorite—and fished out money to pay.

The sand below the boardwalk looked like it could go on forever. Finishing up your ice cream, you took off your sandals and tried out the sandy surface. It was warm and dry on your feet. Smiling you continue to walk on but stopped shortly after you felt a stinging pain on your right sole. You lifted up your feet to see it bleeding, caused by a sharp seashell.

Hobbling over to the boardwalk, you tried to go home. You wince with every step you take. You sat down on a nearby bench and examine your feet. It bleeding a lot now, and the spot had turn slightly purple.

Yoon Joosun, why are you so stupid? Even forgot to bring your phone, you scold yourself.

Suddenly a bike stopped right in front of you. Looking up you see a guy with red hair, sparkling eyes, and a smile to die for.

"Do you need help?" He kindly offered.

"I-uh," you stammered in front of the angelic guy. Why now? "My house is not far from here, so...um."

"You want me to take you home?" He asked.

You nodded.

"Sure."

You climbed on the back on his bike and he then took off.

"Hold on to me so you won't fall," he told you.

"N-no, I'm good," you refused.

He halted the bike and reach to his back and guided you hands to his waist, then started the bike once again.

"Stop, this is my house," you said to him after the short but sweet bike ride.

"Oh this is where you live?"

"Yeah," you slid off and bowed to him then was about to enter when he called you back.

"What's your name?"

"Me? Oh, I'm Yoon Joosun. And you?"

"I'm Kim Joonmyun, but you can call me Suho."

"Okay...Will I see you again?" You asked him.

"Yes, very soon Joosun."

He entered the house next door once seeing you in your own house.

You hopped inside and sat on the couch in the living room.

"You're back so soon honey?" You mother sat beside you. "What happened to my poor baby's feet?!"

"Mom calm down, it's just small cut," you reasurred her.

"Small? Do you know that it can cause an infection if we don't treat it properly?..." You tuned out your mother's lecture and thought about Joonmyun. He said that you and him will meet soon...but how soon?

 

You ate your breakfast with your dad and mom, talking about random things. You couldn't sleep last night because you were too busy thinking about your savior. How old was he? Did he have a girlfriend? Hope not.

The doorbell made you lost your train of thoughts.

"I'll get it," your mom announced as she sashayed over to the door.

"Omo! Hello. Thank you so much! Come in, come in," you heard her say to the people outside. When your mom invited them in, they came in one by one. The first one had an adorable eye smile. The second one had the smallest face you had ever seen. Next came 2 tall ones. Following them was a guy with eyes that never blinked. Skip, skip, skip. There were so many of them, the number was eleven when you counted.

The first one spoke up,"Hi! We heard that your family moved in for the summer and we wanted to visit. I'm Baekhyun." He then pointed to his friends as he told you their names,"He's Luhan, Kris, Chanyeol, D.O. That one there is Kai, that's Xiumin, Sehun, Chen, Tao, and Lay. And — Hey! Where's —"

"I'm right here," Suho popped inside. "Hi Joosun." He smiled.

"Hey," you greeted him.

"You two know each other?" Chanyeol asked you.

"Yeah, we met yesterday," Suho answered while you nodded.

"Well, today your mom and I have to run some errands, so would you boys like to keep my Joosun company?" You father asked them.

"We love to!" They all chorused.

For the rest of the day, you and the EXO boys—that's what they call themselves—just lazed around the house, playing random games. The first game was 21 questions.

"Do you...have a boyfriend?" Lay asked you, curious about your love life.

"No, I actually never had one," you honestly answered.

"Woah! And your already 20!" Sehun spazzed.

"How about you guys?" You asked them back.

All of them shook their heads, all except for Suho.

"Hyung, you have a girlfriend?" Tao asked.

"No, but soon I will."

Next was truth or dare.

Chen was the first one to spin. The bottle pointed right at Kris who groaned out loud.

"Hm, truth or dare?" Chen mischievously smiled.

"Dare."

"I dare you to...go in the kitchen and mix vinegar, mustard and ketchup, with some lemon together then drink it."

"Can't I pass?" Kris whined, not wanting to drink the weird mixture.

"Come on Kris-hyung, be a man!"

"Grow some balls."

"You should've said orange juice not lemon. Kris hates lemon."

The others cheered for him. Giving up Kris went over to the counter and poured the things in.

"Can't it be orange juice?" He called out.

"Just drink it!" You all shouted. With one breath, he swallowed every single drop.

"Water! Give me water!" Everybody remained seated while Tao jumped up and poured Kris a glass of water.

"He can't act cool in this kind of situation," Lay commented.

"You will pay Chen," Kris hoarsely said after calming down. Chen just shrugged and give the bottle to Suho. Suho spun the bottle round and round until it stop at Kris once again.

"Ah why me?! You know what? I choose truth."

"That's no fun," Xiumin remarked.

"Fine! Dare," Kris threw his hands in the air. "But you try to dare me to do something like what Chen did, you'll die today Kim Joonmyun."

Suho just smiled at him, thinking about he should say. "I dare you to dare me to ask Joosun out."

You froze upon hearing your name while everyone else hooted and hollered.

"That's easy. I dare you to ask Joosun out," Kris sighed in relief.

"Joosun, will you be my girlfriend?" Suho looked straight at you making you blush.

"No! You cannot!" A voice suddenly called out. All heads turn to the direction of the door. At the entrance stood a girl with big dove eyes, red lips, and dyed orange hair.

"What are you doing here Yoohee?" Suho sternly ask her.

"Oppa! Don't you miss me?" She pouted and went inside without anyone inviting her in. She clung onto Suho's arms. Suho shook her off and turned to you once again,"So will you be my girlfriend?"

The girl, which supposedly named Yoohee, glared at you. Say no, b*tch, Yoohee's eyes read.

Instead you did the opposite,"I'd love to."

Suho break out a smile. Furious Yoohee stormed out without saying a word.

 

You and Suho were hanging out at Lay's house today. You two had been dating for 2 months now, since this was a the last week of summer you wanted to spend as much time with Suho in this beautiful place before heading back to Seoul.

You and Suho sat on one end of the couch while Sehun's head was on your lap. Kris sat quietly on the other end. All of you were watching a variety show. Today Kai, D.O., Baekhyun, and Chanyeol went surfing while Chen, Tao, Xiumin, and Luhan went shopping, so the house was more deserted than usual.

On the screen, SNSD's Taeyeon was doing some aegyo for the fans. Once seeing that Suho turned to you,"Joosun, do some aegyo for me."

Your head left his shoulders. You put two fist up to your cheeks and did the 'buing buing' motion that Suho silently fanboyed over.

"Was I cute?" You asked him.

Cute? It was TOO cute. A smile tug at Suho's lips but he remained poker faced,"No, Taeyeon's was better."

You scrunched up your nose and stuck your tounge out at him.

"I thought it was cute noona," Sehun spoke up.

"Thank you Sehunie~. I think you're cute too!" You pinched his cheeks.

"Yah! Get your own girlfriend! This one is mine," Suho jealously claim you. "And get off of her lap too."

Now it was the maknae's turn to stick out tonge at Suho. Sehun switched directions and now lay on Kris' lap instead of yours.

Lay went down carrying a guitar. "Hey love birds, I heard that there were a carnival here. You want to go?"

"I'm too tired to," Kris declined.

Sehun also shook his head.

"Let's go Joosun," Suho said to you. When you two leave for the fair, the other three continuted their conversation.

"It seems like Suho got more protective after dating Joosun," Lay said sitting down on the chair.

"Yeah. He got more easy going too," Sehun  agreed.

"We should get him a girlfriend so he can stop pestering us," Lay motioned over to Kris.

"Well, he's trying to. I heard he liked the girl that lives two blocks away from us. What was her name again? Nana? Ara?"

"Shut up! Both of you! I'm trying to watch something!" Kris scolded at the two who chuckled, knowing that he really like Nana but was trying to deny it.

 

The carnival was crowded. You and Suho shouldered through the crowd. You two played a few games, and he had won you a big bear, and a few small bunnies.

"Here," He handed you a stick of cotton candy. You gratefully took it from his hands and nibbled on it, letting it melt in your mouth. You and Suho walked some more, pass stands that sells souvenirs. Suho spotted a sand dollar necklace that he knew that you would like.

"Wait here Joosun, I'll be right back," giving you a quick peck on the cheeks he ran towards the stand and purchased the piece of jewelry.

"Close your eyes," he instructed you holding the necklace behind his back. You obediently listened and closed your eyes. You felt him slip something over your neck.

"Okay, you can open them now."

You peered down at the sand dollar necklace that beautifuly hung on your neck.

"Thank you so much Suho! I love it," you kiss his lips and happily look at your necklace.

 

"Goodnight," Suho said to you when reaching your door.

"Night, see you tomorrow," you waved to him then headed up to your bedroom.

Suho also came in his house and changed to nothing but pants. He couldn't sleep with clothes on, except for his pants. He laid down in bed and fell into a deep slumber.

Yoohee carefully turned the key, once hearing it click she tip toed inside the house. She stalked upstairs to Suho's room. Closing the door behind her she watched Suho smiling in his sleep. The moonlight hit his face perfectly. She ever so silently slip under the same covers as Suho, she was once again next to her man.

She regretted cheating on Suho when he broke up with her. For days she couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't concentrate on anything. Now beside her was him, it was like heaven right now. Sniffing his scent she, too, also fell, asleep.

 

The first thing you did next morning was touching and observing your sand dollar necklace. You quickly took a shower and ate breakfast. Then you head over next door to Suho's house. You looked up at the sky to see dark clouds looming overhead, and the sun was nowhere in sight. It was the total opposite from the first day you were here.

"Hi Joosun! Joonmyun's still sleeping, so if you could go up and wake him up for me?" Suho's mother said to you when you came in.

You climbed up the stairs to Suho's room and was shocked by the scene. Suho was half sleeping peacefully next to his ex-girlfriend. Tears started to brim your eyes as you try to make up an excuse for your boyfiend. But nothing came to mind.

Suho groggily blinked. He had a dream last night that he was sleeping next to his future wife, which was you. He rolled over to the other side to bump into someone. Wait it wasn't a dream? He asked himself. His eyes widen at the sight of you standing before him and not beside him. He looked down and saw Yoohee hugging his waist.

"J-Joosun-ah!"

Not wanting to hear anymore, you fled away from the scene. Suho jumped up and pulled a shirt over his head and ran after you.

"Oh, Joosun honey, where are—" Suho's mother called after you when she saw you crying. You ran and ran and ran. You ended up at the boardwalk. Suho caught up to you and spun you around to face him.

"Joosun-ah, I can explain!"

You covered both of your ears and tears streamed down your face as you ignored all of his pleads.

Finally you put your arms down,"Suho. You can explain to me if you can find this." You rip off your necklace and threw it out to the open sea. Then you took off leaving him there. Determined to get you by his side once again he plungered into the clear water, digging up sands, hoping to find your lost necklace.

Rain started to pour as you reach your house. You sat on the couch and turned the TV on, putting it on mute. Suddenly the phone rung.

"Hello?"

"Joosun? It's Mom," your mom said.

"Why did you call me?"

"A storm is starting up and your father and I probably can't go home today. So, stay inside the house today okay?"

"Okay," you hung up the phone and laid on the furniture, crying yourself to sleep.

"Noona! Noona! Wake up noona!" You heard someone shake you. You open your eyes to see a panicked Sehun with EXO crowding over you.

"What's wrong?" You asked them.

"We can contact Suho-hyung, and the storm is getting worse!"

"Should we go out and find him?" Luhan suggested.

"No, it's too dangerous. He's old enough to take care of himself," Kris said. Now Tao and Sehun was hanging one to each other crying while worrying about their hyung.

You also couldn't help but to worry.

 

The next day you woke up to the sounds of birds singing. A smile left your face when you remembered yesterday's events. You went downstairs to see EXO sprawled all over the floor. They had stayed for the night. You carefully made your way through them and the television.

"Good morning everyone. I hope you all were safe yesterday from the storm, which has now pass our region. A few people were injured but only one death had occured." The anchorman said. "The body was found on the beach's shore. The victim had already pass away when people found him. Nothing was on his body except for a necklace that he held aggressively to."

Then they showed a picture of the victim. You wish that it wasn't Suho. In the picture was a red headed boy. It can't be him, it can't be him!

"Isn't...that...Suho-hyung?" You heard Kai said quietly.

"No, It's not Suho, Kai. Can't you see?" You trembled as you deny the fact that it was indeed him.

"Isn't that Suho?"

"Suho?"

"Suho?"

All you could hear was Suho, Suho, Suho! Can't people see that it wan't him?!

"Isn't that Su—"

"No! It's not Suho!" You screamed loudly at them, making them quiet down.

Your stomache started hurting and your head spun, and at that moment you collasped.

 

"Oh noona's awake!"

"She is?"

"Call the doctor!"

"Doctor!"

You sat up in your bed slowly as Kris supported you.

"Joosun-ah, Suho...he..." He began.

"He died didn't he?" You admitted solemnly. You couldn't deny it anymore, everything felt so true. "Can I see him?"

"Sure." Kris loaded you onto a wheelchair and pushed you to where Suho was, to the back of the hospital, where they kept patients who had pass away. Kris opened the door of the last room and there was Suho laying as still as ever. Kris pushed your wheelchair up to your boyfriend's dead body and left the room.

"Suho-ah."

Silence.

"I forgive you," the moment you said that his hand fell and dropped the necklace onto your lap.