That's The Way It Is

A Wandering Soul

I actually hated a short oneshot because it's not enough for me, but then I found myself finished a short one!!!! -_-

I'm so sorry if the story and made you go 'what the heck' or 'what's the point then' TT__TT

Fireballs are openly accepted!!!!! *spread my arms widely*

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Just how much you loved someone that you could do such a crazy thing for them?

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Luhan can see ghosts. Well, politely called as souls that are wandering around because they got something that hold them from leaving to ‘another world’. Unfinished business, cliff-hanged problems, untold feelings, such a cliché like that. Luhan can see them ever since he was a only a kid. Therefore, he had seen thousands or even millions of souls wandering around, guessing where they had been wrong, why can’t they leave. And many times Luhan helped those who accepted his help. Luhan has became so used to see them and hear their stories, and he had a good way to hide his ability, not because he’s ashamed of it, but because he understand that people generally can’t accept what they didn’t believed. Meeting wandering souls is just a part of his life.

 

But Luhan had never felt so curious like this over a wandering soul.

 

It’s another sunny day in the mid of July when he saw him. Standing at a quiet intersection – there’re barely peoples around them – . Ideally tall body with pale white skin, slender fingers, stylish brown hair, sleepy eyes, and perfect thin lips. Luhan bets he was an ulzzang or even a model, because he’s just so beautiful. Luhan keeps staring at the soul, but at first he didn’t want to make any contact with him,  or even interested to do it.

 

Until their gazes met.

 

The soul is staring in confusion of course, he didn’t expect someone could see him directly or even talking to him as what Luhan do at the very next second. “Hi.” Luhan said casually.

 

Luhan chuckled when the soul didn’t answered him. “Yes, I could see you and I could hear you.”

 

“H-how?” the soul asked.

 

Luhan shrugged. “Family inheritance. I got this ability from my mother’s family.” he explained as he gazed over the street in front of them, which is what the soul has been staring at, “what’s with that street?”

 

The soul turned his head to see the street again. “The place where I died.”

 

Luhan gasped at him. “So it was you? The guy who got hit by a white van a week ago??”

 

“Wow, I didn’t expect myself to be popular like that.” the soul laughed. And Luhan had never met a soul like him. Usually they’re frightened because of the differences, but he’s not. He acted so casually, as if being a wandering soul is the most natural thing for him.

 

“Well I heard someone got hit by a van, but I didn’t really know the rest of the story. I didn’t even know that the guy died.” Luhan chuckled. “So it’s been a week. Why didn’t you left yet?”

 

Turns out that it’s a hard question for him to answer. Luhan watched him hesitated to speak. “It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me.”

 

“I-it’s not like that,” the soul said nervously, “but even my self don’t know why.”

 

“You don’t know what’s holding you from leaving?” Luhan frowned.

 

The soul nodded. “I watched everyone like me walked through a light way and left. Everyone like me had gone that way, but until now, I haven’t.”

 

Luhan bite his upper lips before he speak again. “Do you want me to help you?”

 

After a few seconds, the soul smiled gently. “No, thank you. I don’t want to be a burden.”

 

“No, you won’t be. I tends to help souls like you. There were so many souls who felt lost, just like you, they didn’t know what was holding them from leaving this world.” Luhan explained, “just let me help you.”

 

“It’s alright.” the soul still smiled. “I’m feeling like I’m going to find out sooner or later.”

 

Luhan winced. “Really? Why is that so?”

 

The soul shrugged. “Just my feeling.”

 

There’s a long comfortable silence before Luhan speaks again. “What’s your name?”

 

“Oh Sehun. Nice to meet you.” the soul smiled warmly. “And you?”

 

“Xi Luhan. Nice to meet you too.” Luhan answered. “Cause of death?” he asked, then slapped himself in mind because of course he know Sehun died because he was crushed by a –

 

“Jumped in front of a car.”

 

Luhan stared at him. “What?”

 

“I jumped in front of a car.” Sehun repeated.

 

“But I thought the car was the one that – you jumped in front of it??”

 

Sehun chuckled. “Yes, I jumped in front of a car.”

 

“You were doing a suicide???” Luhan asked in shock. It’s not like he hasn’t met some soul who killed themselves, but somehow he’s just too shocked that Sehun killed himself. “But why??”

 

“It wasn’t a suicide. I was saving someone.” Sehun answered casually. He laughed when he saw Luhan’s frowning face. “No, it’s not like what you’re guessing right now.”

 

“But that’s just stu – I mean, is that person really worth it?? Is that person more important than your own life??”

 

Surprisingly, Sehun laughed more louder. “I’ve been asking myself about that too.”

 

“Who did you saved?” Luhan asked eagerly.

 

Sehun was just about to answer when suddenly he locked his stare on someone. He stared for a good long minute, ignoring Luhan’s voice calling his name. He stared at a girl, standing across the street. The girl is obviously beautiful. She has that long wavy brown hair that dances as the wind blows, skinny body with bright white skin, graceful figure and of course, a beautiful face. The girl keep glancing at her wristwatch. She’s bored, but it seems like she’s patient enough to stand there and wait. He doesn’t know how long he has been staring at her until Luhan purposely coughed next to him.

 

“So it was her?” Luhan asked.

 

Sehun looked at him. “What?”

 

“You know her?” Luhan asked back.

 

Sehun just nodded.

 

“Your girlfriend?” Luhan asked again.

 

Sehun didn’t answered. He stared at the girl who’s looking at her phone right now. Then she pocketed it again and starts to walk. Sehun unknowingly starts to walk too, followed by Luhan.

 

“What are you doing??” Luhan asked in confusion. “Are you following her??”

 

“Sort of.” Sehun answered shortly. Luhan sighed, then he keep following Sehun, who keep walking as the girl walks too.

 

“So you haven’t told me why did you jumped in front of the car.” Luhan murmured to Sehun, ignoring some people who’s staring at him, thinking that he’s talking to himself.

 

“I told you, I was saving someone.” Sehun said.

 

“I know, but why did you saved that someone?”

 

Sehun shrugged. He looked at the girl who’s going to get on a bus. “Let’s go on that.” he said.

 

Luhan could’ve said no, but after all he found himself sitting on the seat at the corner of the bus. There’re just him and the girl who’s sitting on the front seat. And of course with Sehun who’s sitting next to him, still observing at the girl.

 

“I met her back then when I was thirteen.” Sehun said, “yeah, that was six years ago. And in an instant, I fell for her.”

 

Luhan smiled at the story. “What is she like?”

 

“She’s the most perfect girl I’ve ever met. She’s so perfect that I loved everything about her,” Sehun stated with bright eyes wandering over the girl, “her funny laugh, her furrowing eyebrows, her cute anger, how she failed at cooking and body balance, how she excelled at calculation but at memorizing, how she got the natural talent of dancing and singing, everything. I loved her with everything she was, everything she is, and everything she’d be.”

 

“Does it hurts you so much when you know you won’t be able to be with her anymore?” Luhan asked in a low voice.

 

Sehun didn’t answered at first. He sighed as he looked outside the bus window. His voice barely could be heard, like once it escaped his mouth, it blends with the air around him. “I’m already used to that feeling.”

 

“Was it a beautiful story? Yours and hers?” Luhan asked again though he’s confused at Sehun’s last answer.

 

Sehun smiled. “Yes, it was beautiful.” he murmured, “it was too beautiful that it pains me so much.”

 

Luhan frowned at the statement. “What do you mean?”

 

Before Sehun could answer, the bus has stopped. Luhan hurriedly followed the girl as she get off the bus. Luhan walked as slow as she does. Luhan didn’t know where he is, but when he saw the gate, he sighed heavily.

 

“She’s going to visit you after all.” Luhan murmured.

 

Sehun stared at the cemetery gate. He chuckled. “I don’t even know I’m buried here.”

 

“What do you mean? You don’t even know where’s your own tomb??” Luhan frowned at him.

 

“I was wandering at the street for one whole week, I guess. I’ve never thought about seeing my own tomb.” Sehun murmured, his voice sounds a bit lost.

 

Luhan shook his head in disbelief. “Let’s just go. We’re going to lost her.”

 

They keep following her until the girl stopped in front of a tomb. They’re standing far enough so the girl won’t know he’s there. And they’re right. The girl is standing in front of a tomb. She gazed at the tomb for a good long minute, staring at the name that engraved there.

 

‘Oh Sehun’

 

“So why did you saved that person? You haven’t answered me.” Luhan asked in a very low voice, just so the girl won’t hear him.

 

Sehun is still staring at the girl. But he answered after all. “Because I don’t want her to get hurt.”

 

Luhan stared back at the girl. Her shoulders are shaking right now. Few seconds after that he heard a soft sob from her. Then the sob grows louder, turned into a cry. A painful, loud, desperate cry.

 

“S-Sehun, Sehun-ah,” she sobbed, “I-I’m so sorry – “

 

“No, don’t be.” Sehun murmured.

 

“I – I just heard four days ago that you’re – I didn’t believed that you’re – why were you so stupid like that?!!” she cried again.

 

Sehun shook hid head unknowingly. “No, baby, no, it was all for you,” he whispered, “it was for you so you won’t get hurt.”

 

Luhan can’t even find any words to say as he watched the girl covered and cried so hard. She’s in pain, Luhan could tell. And the soul next to him is not doing any better. Maybe the girl is too sad, still trying to deal with the reality that her boyfriend saved her life. He saw it in movies, a guy saved a girl but the guy died, and the girl will sob and ask why did he do such a stupid thing like that.

 

“She’s sad now.” Luhan murmured.

 

Sehun winced. Then he chuckled sadly. “Well, maybe. But she’s happy.”

 

Luhan winced. He was just about to ask why when suddenly a hand patted his right shoulder. He turned around and surprised to see someone has already standing there. “Jongin??”

 

Kim Jongin grinned. “Hello, Luhan hyung!” he said, “what are you doing here?”

 

“Me, I – “ Luhan stared at Jongin’s forehead and right hand, covered with bandages. “What’s with those things??”

 

Jongin lets out a sheepish smile as he touched his head gently. “I was near to death back then. A van almost crushed me. Precisely a week ago.”

 

Luhan gasped. “You what??” he asked in horror, “then what happened??”

 

Suddenly the light in Jongin’s eyes got dimmed, changed with a sad smile from his lips. “My best friend saved me from death.”

 

Luhan frowned. He stared at Sehun who’s staring at Jongin in such an unexplainable way. Then he stared back at Jongin.

 

“I-is he alright now?” Luhan asked, suddenly feeling not so well about this own question.

 

Jongin chuckled sadly. “He was in comatose for three days. Now,” he sighed as he gazed at the sky, and then at the tomb not so far from them, the very same tomb the girl has been crying over, “now he’s in somewhere beautiful, I prayed.”

 

And Luhan found his feeling is proved. “Do you know that girl?” Luhan asked as he pointed at the girl in front of Sehun’s tomb.

 

“Of course,” Jongin said, “she’s my girlfriend.”

 

Luhan’s jaw almost dropped. She’s Jongin’s girlfriend??? he shouted inside. He immediately stared at Sehun. The taller guy is still staring at Jongin. There’s such an unreadable emotion on his eyes.

 

“Luhan hyung?” Jongin asked in confusion, “where are you looking at?”

 

“E-eh??” Luhan stared at Jongin again, “n-nothing. So s-she’s your girlfriend?”

 

“Uhm, yes, you know Jung Soojung, right? I’ve been telling you about her.” Jongin said. “My best friend was her best friend too. It shocked her too much when she heard the news.” Jongin stared at the girl, “I should go to her right now. See you later, hyung, I’ll tell you the details.”

 

Luhan watched Jongin walked to Soojung, patted her shoulder gently, and pull the girl into his embrace. Then Jongin cried too. They cried together. But Jongin keep telling his girl that ‘everything’s alright, Sehun is already in heaven now, we should be happy for him’.

 

“She’s happy. She should be.” suddenly Sehun speaks.

 

Luhan gazed at the guy next to him.

 

“Because the person I saved back then is the guy she loved.” Sehun smiled at his own statement, as tears starts to roll down his cheeks.

 

“But she’s mourning so hard on you.” Luhan said in a low, hoarse voice.

 

“But she’d be worse than this if Jongin was the one who died.” Sehun stated back.

 

Luhan can’t answer anything. He stared again at the couple, who’s praying in front of the tomb. Still sobbing.

 

“I always loved her. And I know Jongin loved her too.” Sehun murmured. “And she loved me, but not the way she loved Jongin. She missed me, but not the way she missed Jongin. She looked at me, but not the way she looked at Jongin. They’re… made for each other. That’s the fact I accepted a very long time ago.”

 

Then Sehun added again. “That’s why I saved Jongin with all my might. It was the fastest yet the easiest decision I’ve ever made. Because I know, once Jongin died, so does her heart and her soul. They loved each other too much, I can see that. If one of them gone, the other will just die inside. While me, I don’t have such a strong thing like that. When I’m gone, they’ll mourn, they’ll cry, but they’ll get over it. Five years from now they’ll come here again with a smile, and maybe with little kiddos following their steps. They’ll live happily, I know they will.”

 

Luhan didn’t say anything. He can’t argue with such a deep thoughts like that.

 

“Now I know what holds me from leaving,” Sehun said, “it’s because she hadn’t let me go yet. She was still dealing with the truth that I’m gone, that I’m no longer a living one.”

 

“So now that she had let you go, are you going to leave?” Luhan asked, surprised at how disappointed his voice sounded.

 

Sehun chuckled. “That’s the way it is.”

 

“So it’s a goodbye?” Luhan asked again.

 

“Do you want it to be a goodbye?” Sehun asked back.

 

Luhan bite his upper lips. “Stay, please.”

 

“But why?” Sehun winced.

 

“Well, I don’t really have a close friend, I’ve always been lonely.” Luhan murmured, “I just thought that it’s a good thing to have a friend that will stick with me all the time.”

 

“And you want a pathetic wandering soul like me to be your friend?” Sehun asked as he grinned.

 

Luhan shyly smiled. “I guess being accompanied by a soul is not a bad thing at all.”

 

 

_______

 

 

It’s five years later when Luhan met Jongin and Soojung again. They’re praying in front of Sehun’s tomb. Sometimes Soojung will take a glance over her children who’s closing their eyes seriously, copying their parents. They’re two years old twins, Jongsoo and Jonghun. A mixed-up names of Jongin, Soojung, and their beloved uncle who they never met, Sehun.

 

“Hyung, I just want you to know that I don’t give a care about what they said about you.” Jongin said to Luhan after they finished their prayer. “They said you’re a slight freak because sometimes you talk to nothing. But we know better.”

 

“Thankyou, Jongin. And I don’t care about them either.” Luhan smiled.

 

“But I’m curious, Luhan oppa,” Soojung added, “Jongin told me you were so good at hiding your ability to speak to souls. Why did you started to do it so openly then?”

 

“Well, because I think my ability is not something that I have to be ashamed of. And besides, I already promised to him that I won’t ditch him even if I’m in public.” Luhan explained casually, then smiled to the little Jonghun who’s dozing off in his embrace.

 

Him?” Jongin asked. “Who?”

 

Luhan smiled to him. “A friend of mine who once lost.”

 

He took a glance over Sehun who’s standing not so far from him, smiling to them right now.

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

It ?? I'm sorry T__T

*standing at the edge of my rooftop*