#40

Do You Have What It Takes

“It’s going to be fine! Just let me do the talking okay?” Kyuhyun gave my hand a squeeze as we continued walking into the company building.

I nodded, and gulped nervously. I haven’t made my debut and yet I was already facing such problems.

We arrived outside the director’s office and Kyuhyun knocked the door.

“Come in.” The director’s serious voice was heard.

Kyuhyun grabbed my hand even tighter as he led me into the director’s office.

“Annyeonghaseyo. You were looking for us?” Kyuhyun bowed politely and I did exactly the same.

The director looked up at us and appeared displeased when he saw us holding hands. He frowned slightly.

“Sulyn, please take a seat. Kyuhyun, wait outside.” He said sternly.

I looked at Kyuhyun in fear. He gave me a slight smile, gave my hand another squeeze as if to say it’ll be fine, before standing up to leave the office.

I sat there quietly watching Kyuhyun leave, silently protesting in my heart. Please, don’t go oppa. I then turned my attention back to the director and waited nervously for him to say something.

"So, do you know why you're here?" He pressed his palms together and looked at me intensely.

I shook my head and looked down.

"Then do you know why you were told to spend 2 days at home?" The seriousness in his voice was still present.

"Yes sir." I whispered.

"But instead you were having fun with Kyuhyun and you'd think we wouldn't find out?"

"No, sir. We weren't having fun. He was helping me with my singing. Honestly." I gushed and raised my hand up as if I was swearing in court.

He looked at me in disbelief. "Then show me."  

I nodded and stood up confidently. I suddenly felt upset that the director was accusing me of something I didn't do. I have to prove it to him, right here, right now.

The director leaned back in his seat and motioned for me to begin. I started singing the song that Kyuhyun and I were practicing earlier on. Halfway through the song, the director started leaning forward. He rested his elbows on his desk and closed his eyes. I just continued singing.

Soon, I was done with the song. I bowed politely and stood there with my head hanging.

The director nodded and told me to leave. "Ask Kyuhyun to come on your way out. And you may go back to your scheduled practices." He didn’t smile. He didn’t show any emotion whatsoever.

I bowed and left the room swiftly.

Kyuhyun grabbed my shoulders worriedly as I came out of the office. "What did he say?"

I shook my head. "He said he wants to see you now."

Kyuhyun bent over and gave me a big hug. "Don't worry, it'll be fine. I'll take care of everything."
He leaned back and patted my head before disappearing behind the office door.

***

"UNNIEEEEEEE!!!"

I shot up.
"What's going on early in the morning?"

"Unnie!!" Emma continued shrieking as she came into my room.

"What what what!" I asked her sleepily.

She was practically bouncing up and down on my bed as she shoved my Samsung Note 10.1 into my face.

“What is up with you Emma! Did you drink too much coffee?”

“NOOOOOO LOOOOOK!” She giggled hysterically.

I grumpily snatched the tablet from her hands. It took a moment for my sleepy eyes to focus on the screen. Immediately, my eyes shot wide open.

“OMO!” I exclaimed.

Emma continued giggling beside me.
“Something good must have happened yesterday in the director’s office?”

“I don’t know. He didn’t say anything to me.”

“Anyway, I’m heading home for breakfast with my omma. So I’ll meet you at the company later!” Emma floated out of my room still bursting from excitement.

As Emma left the room, I stared back at the tablet screen again, still unable to believe it. On the screen was an article from a Korean new website. And the headline read, “SM to release a new girl duo, 2.5.3, next week” and below the headline was a photo of Emma and I. Unknowingly a smile crept over my face. It is really happening.

As I was still recovering from my shock, a nice smell flooded my bedroom. Pancakes? Mi Unnie is making breakfast today? She has never done that before. I got out of bed and skipped out happily into the hallway then to the kitchen. I froze when I saw who was standing there focused on making pancakes.

“Kyuhyun Oppa.” I whispered softly so he wouldn’t hear me. I then slowly crept over and gave him a back hug.

“Hey, you’re awake?” He asked sweetly.

I nodded and smiled, still not letting go of his back.

 


Posted: 8th Feb 2013