Let's Banter and Laugh Together

The Problem With Kim Jongwoon

 

    “I don’t know how to handle like this!” Kyuhyun flipped a few pans trying to find the huge pot that was perfect for boiling soup. It was usually reserved for when he got sick, and he guessed Jongwoon was sick. Even though it wasn’t exactly the physical kind of fever. He didn’t know what else to do.

    The door to Jongwoon’s room creaked open and the idol’s tired eyes looked back at him. “Don’t worry about me.” His voice sounded dead, flat. “Go to class, Kyuhyun.”

    Frustration bubbled up inside him chest. He rested his hands on his hips, glaring at his roommate to hide how worried he really felt. “Did you take your medication?”

    Jongwoon wordlessly shook his head and Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes at him. After a short eye contest, Jongwoon slunk back into his room with defeat and Kyuhyun brought a glass of water with him.

    “Well, what will you tell your professors?” Kyuhyun asked, watching as Jongwoon swallowed his hated pills.

    “I was sick.”

    “I don’t think,” Kyuhyun said evenly, “that depression would be the sort of sick that they would think about when you say that.”

    “I’ll be fine after a day or two. Go to class.”

    “Fine.”


    “Well? How’s Yesung?” Boa looked expectantly at him.

    “Sick,” Kyuhyun said flatly.

    “Why are you being so vague about this? God.”

    “Sick is sick. What do you expect me to say?”

    “Like, how he throws up every morning or something.” Boa smirked. “Those are interesting details that you should share with me.”

    Kyuhyun wrinkled his nose. “You are truly a disgusting human being.” He got punched in the arm.

   

    It took awhile for the dark cloud over Jongwoon’s head to dissipate a little. It dampened Kyuhyun’s spirit just to live with him, and Jongwoon seemed to notice that a little, shutting himself into his dark cave of a room.

    Saturday morning, Kyuhyun entered the apartment to find his roommate sipping languidly from a cup of orange juice. He was no longer wearing the crumpled-up plaid shirt that must have smelled like hell by now. Kyuhyun plopped the grocery bags on the table, tilting his head.

    “Sooooo. Want to talk about it?”

    “Talk about what?” Even though Jongwoon’s face was blank, his eyes had a glint of amusement in them, which meant that he was on the way to being back to normal.

    Kyuhyun threw up his arms. “There must have been a reason you were wallowing this past week.”

    “Sometimes there isn’t a reason.” Jongwoon tipped his head back and finished his orange juice. His lips curled up like a cat that had just got its cream.

    “Although this time, there might have been one. And before you ask, I’m not going to tell you.”

    Kyuhyun puffed up his cheeks in anger.

    “Aren’t I a terrible roommate?” Although this was said in a light-toned, joking manner, Kyuhyun could tell he was being serious.

    “Not terrible.” He floundered in trying to get the best words. “Just a bit unconventional.”

    “Hah, Kyukyu, you’re funny.”   

“No one else thinks I am.” He sulked. He dug into the grocery bags. “Here. Your favorite ice cream flavor. I didn’t even know green tea ice cream existed.”

    “Thanks. Eat it with me?”

    Kyuhyun averted his eyes, heart rate picking up annoyingly because of the simple thought of sharing a spoon with Jongwoon. There was seriously something wrong with his stupid heart. “Sure,” he said noncommittally.

    By the second bite, he was in heaven. “Oh my god, what is this pure awesomeness?” He was practically , salivating all over the spoon. “Holy .”

    Jongwoon snorted at his expression. Their thighs were touching even though their sofa was bigger than that. His phone vibrated and he flipped it open. After a few seconds, he hung up.

    “Who was that?” Kyuhyun leaned forward, squinting. “That was like the shortest conversation ever, if humming affirmations count as a conversation.”

    “Hyesung, of course.” Jongwoon leaned his head back on the couch. “Reminding me about the modelling job on Saturday.”

    Kyuhyun jabbed the spoon into the ice cream, trying to dig out as much as he could in one spoonful. His tongue stuck out from the corner of his mouth in the middle of his efforts. He didn’t notice Jongwoon’s look of fondness directed his way.

    “You know, I bought that ice cream for myself, and now you’re eating all of it,” he commented dryly.

    Kyuhyun widened his eyes so that he looked appropriately guilty. Then he ate another bite of ice cream, all the while maintaining his puppy eyes.

    Jongwoon narrowed his eyes. “You’re lucky you have a cute face.”

    Kyuhyun involuntarily let out an offending squeak. “Cute? Not handsome? Come on, I would look so good on the front page of a Men’s Fitness magazine or something. Admit it.”

    “Why don’t you come with me on Saturday?” The singer’s face was twisted into an amused smile, eyes practically twinkling.

    “For what?” Kyuhyun blinked, mentally retracing his way back through their conversation. “The modelling thing? Seriously?”

    “It’ll be fun.” Jongwoon clapped his hands. “You can watch me strike dumb poses.”

    “I don’t know. Something always seems to go wrong when you say something’s going to be fun.”

    “I wonder if I could use your Pikachu as a prop for the set,” he wondered out loud.

    “Don’t even think about it,” Kyuhyun said, taking Jongwoon’s spoon and shoving ice cream into his roommate’s mouth to keep him from talking anymore.

   After finishing the ice cream (god damn, green tea ice cream was awesome. It felt like he had been introduced to a new religion or something), Kyuhyun raked his hand through his hair, wincing. “Time to take a shower.”

   “Yeah, and wash your hair, too. It’s starting to smell.”

   Kyuhyun took a pillow from the couch and smacked the blonde (although the  roots were starting to show) in the stomach. Jongwoon let out an ‘oof’ and pretended to play dead, snickering all the while.

   Kyuhyun came out of his much-needed shower, steam billowing from the room as he opened the door. He was using his towel to dry his hair when he stopped in front of the couch, raising his eyebrows. “What are you doing with my glasses?”

   Jongwoon was raising a cheesy peace sign at his cell phone, sporting thick black frame glasses that were stopped being trendy awhile back. It still looked good (too good, Kyuhyun observed) on him. “My fans love my selcas,” Jongwoon chirped. “Also, I didn’t know that you had fashion glasses aka ones without any prescription.”

   Kyuhyun sat down with a huff. “There are a lot of things you don’t know about me.”

   It was meant as a quip, but Jongwoon reacted anyway. “Oh really? Tell me everything then.”

   Kyuhyun furrowed his eyebrows. “Everything? That’s not possible! Besides, it’s not like I know everything about you either.” He then quickly scooted back. “We’re not going to play 20 questions, are we? I hate that game.”

   Jongwoon pouted. It was the first time he had seen him actually pout. “Why not? It’s a fun game.”

   “It’s typical and cliche and I will not resort to such methods.”

   “Whatever. It’s not like I don’t know anything about you anyway. Like, I know that you like raspberry muffins but hate the actual fruit. And you will never drink jasmine tea for some odd reason. Do I even need to mention how unnaturally attached you are to that Pokemon plushie?”

   Kyuhyun gaped at him. “How did you know all that? Are you stalking me when you aren’t off doing your idol activities? Huh?”

   A mischievous smile lighted up Jongwoon’s face. Kyuhyun liked to see him act so carefree. Moody doesn’t fit him well. “What if I am?”

   Kyuhyun snorted. “That would be highly ironic if it was true. Imagine, me, Cho Kyuhyun, stalked by one of the most famous people in this country. Oh, that would make a great comedy drama.”

   “Drama? Where would the drama come from?”

   Kyuhyun pondered. “Someone kidnaps me in order to blackmail you and then Batman can come and save the day.”

   “There’s action in here too? Why Batman? Any other genres I should expect? Fantasy? Romance?” The last word was said teasingly but it was left hanging in the air.

   “Hey, Batman’s cool. I guess we could include some love pentagons to heighten up the viewer ratings.”

   “True love’s kiss at the end?”

   Kyuhyun flushed, and then wrinkled his nose, trying to ignore the fact that they were leaning closer and closer to each other. “I don’t believe in those. I used to, but that was when I was in diapers or something.”

   “Please, you weren’t even conscious of anything except for pooping and crying when you were that age.”

   “I was a special snowflake, okay?”

   “If you say so.”

   A silence momentarily lapsed between them. Somehow, they had made it a nightly ritual to banter lightly before sleeping. Kyuhyun always went to sleep nowadays with a small smile on his face.

   “You have class early tomorrow morning, right?” Jongwoon asked, fingers tracing around the coaster on the table. Kyuhyun’s eyes unconsciously followed the action.

   “Wow, you really must be stalking me.”

   “Or, I could just be the flatmate who lives with you everyday.”

   Kyuhyun nodded solemnly. “That too.”

   “Don’t forget our little date on Saturday!”

   He had gotten up to go to the sink, and now he turned to glare at Jongwoon. “You just want to bring me along to entertain you.”

   “Maybe.”

   “Good night.”

   “G’night, Kyukyu.”


Hmm. Who still remembers what this story is about? //does not raise my hand. Lmao jk. Seriously though, why are y'all still subscribed to this? Thanks guys, for anyone who has commented. It gives me and this story life.