The Uninvited Visitor

The Problem With Kim Jongwoon

          “Stop that,” Kyuhyun told the squirrel. “Stop staring at me like that.”

          The squirrel kept its bug-eyed look on its tiny face, its tail twitching sporadically.

          “You’re making me feel judged. You’re judging me for singing and jamming to songs on my iPod in the middle of the street, aren’t you? You’re judging me for talking to a goddamn squirrel that probably can’t even understand me.” Kyuhyun cast the poor animal a long-suffering glare while folding his arms across his chest.

          The squirrel’s tail swished around. It seemed to have frozen in fear from the intimidating aura Kyuhyun was radiating.

          “Fine. Be that way.” Kyuhyun threw his hands up, and after looking around to make sure no bystanders had been watching him try to strike up a conversation with a tiny mammal, stalked into his apartment complex.

          He was having a great, wondrous, awesome day until that squirrel made him feel self-conscious.

          Not cool.

          He belt out a huge relieved sigh as his door clicked open under his key. He was so looking forward to relaxing (ahem, playing video games/watching old movie marathons) and not thinking about not doing homework.

          “I’m home,” Kyuhyun murmured to his apartment reflexively. It was an old habit that was hard to break; sometimes he still forgot that he didn’t live with his parents anymore.

          Dropping off his thin bag (he didn’t take that many notes in class) on the floor, Kyuhyun wandered into the kitchen to pour a glass of orange juice for himself.

          Later, he would berate himself for not noticing a foreign suitcase lying in the corner of said kitchen.

          Still holding and sipping the orange juice, Kyuhyun hummed a nonsensical tune as he walked through the corridor that led to his bedroom. He was thinking of turning on the laptop and visiting tumblr to check up on the video game fanatics that he was currently following.

          He was so engrossed in the thought of discussing hacking techniques online that he didn’t notice the sounds of soft padding footsteps approaching him around the corner.

          Kyuhyun, to his immense surprise, found himself slamming right into another human body – awkward elbow jabbing and chest bumping and all. Reflexively, he tried to balance the glass of liquid in his hand while pin wheeling the other arm in a crazed fashion.

          The first thing his eyes registered: bright blonde hair.

          Before his mind could process what was happening, Kyuhyun was already letting out a horrified scream that could kill whales and polar bears with its intensity.

          “HOLY SH-!” Before he could get his curse out, the stranger interrupted with a “Sorry – ”

          Kyuhyun then did what his instinct told him to do – tackle in the invader down into the ground (don’t do this, guys. It’s not smart).

          Finally, panting with exhaustion, he had the apparent burglar with his back on the wooden floor. His eyes met with kohl-outlined eyes, and Kyuhyun momentarily paused in what he thought was a very cool -beating of the intruder.

          Kyuhyun’s eyebrows scrunched up as he actually examined the face of the man under him.

          Hey, he looked kind of familiar.

          Now, where had he seen him before? He was quite good-looking, actually. Uh…

          The cashier in his local supermarket? The librarian? A student in his class? The guy who liked to sell baked fruits (whatever that was) in the streets? He looked more like a model though; he could be the type to appear in music videos and –

          This time, Kyuhyun let out a strangled noise in his throat as his eyes widened to its maximum level.

          “You’re that singer. Yesung,” Kyuhyun said blankly.

          Yesung smiled that smile that the cameras utterly adored, and said: “Yes, I am. It’s nice to meet you?”

          The last part was said in a questioning tone because Kyuhyun still looked like he was going to force Yesung into a strangle-hold and tie him up.

          “Yesung,” Kyuhyun repeated.

          “Yeah. Um. We established that already?” Kyuhyun had no idea how Yesung was able to keep his tone polite, considering the circumstances.

          “Wow. I thought I would never get hallucinations.” Kyuhyun frowned. “It must’ve been the mushrooms in my lunch today.”

          “Can you please get off?”

          “Hm. This is very interesting indeed. I wonder how long this hallucination would last.”

          “I would sincerely appreciate it if you would let me get blood circulation back into my arms.”

          Kyuhyun looked down, and sure enough, his hands were gripping Yesung’s arms tightly.

          “Oh my god,” Kyuhyun said in a God-help-me tone. “You’re real.”

          “Yeah. I kind of am.” Yesung’s right eyebrow was twitching a little, but he still somehow maintained that movie-star smile.

          Kyuhyun, like he had been touching red-hot branded iron, leapt off the idol in lightning-fast speed. Yesung staggered up, trying to adjust the wrinkles on his fashionably maroon shirt.

          “Let me introduce myself again. I’m Yesung, and I work in the entertainment industry as a pop artist. I’m attending Sarang University during this fall term.” Yesung held out his hand.

          Kyuhyun stared at the offered hand skeptically. He couldn’t refuse it, though. He wasn’t that bad-mannered.

          After slowly shaking the celebrity’s hand in a rather post-traumatically shocked manner, Kyuhyun said, “But… That doesn’t explain how you got into my apartment in the first place.”

          “Huh? Your mom didn’t tell you?” Yesung looked rightly puzzled. “I’ll be living with you from now on.”

          Kyuhyun froze in shock.

          Maybe he really was hallucinating.


May I add that I was utterly surprised at the amount of subs I got for just a foreword? O_O