Stupid Decisions Lead to Heartbreak

Please don't

Luhan never thought they would last, everyday he silently hoped they wouldn’t last long. His mind told him that it was useless to hope but, like a fool, he followed his heart that told him to never lose hope. That Minseok would notice him. It never happened and, like a fool, he felt his heart crack ever so slightly when Minseok and his girlfriend, he never bothered to learn her name, showed him their engagement rings and announced their marriage in a few months time.

His heart cracked a bit more that day, never really fully breaking. His mind kept telling him to give up before he got hurt while his heart told him to keep hoping, that it wasn’t too late. Once again, he foolishly followed his heart. He didn’t want to give up on Minseok yet.

His heart and mind never seemed to be on the same page.

As the wedding day approached he found himself busying himself more to keep from thinking about the day he would lose Minseok to that woman. He found it hard to not think about it while that woman always seemed to be in their apartment talking excitedly about the plans she made for the wedding. Always reminding him of the one thing he didn’t want to think about. He put on a smile and acted like he was just as excited as she was whenever she talked to him about it. After a while he felt his facade cracking and he decided to spend most of his time outside of the apartment. He needed to escape. Even his heart stopped whispering hopeful words.

It was one of the rare days when Minseok and Luhan were the only two people in the apartment. Luhan couldn’t help but to think of the happy times before that woman became a part of their lives. “I want you to be my best man for the wedding.” Luhan turned towards Minseok as the words sunk in. He was smiling at him and Luhan felt as if his whole body was submerged in freezing cold water.

He wanted to say no, to scream at the top of his lungs that he didn’t want Minseok to get married. Scream that Luhan has loved him for years. Scream that he has been slowly dying inside for the past year because Minseok never looked his way anymore. He wanted to scream everything out at the top of his lungs until his throat grew raw. That would have been a smart thing to do.

His lips curled into a small smile, “That’s fine, Baozi.” He wasn’t known for being a very smart person.

The wedding day approached and Luhand found himself in a tuxedo watching from a far as Minseok personally welcomed the guests. The sounds of heels against the wooden staircase had him turning to face the bride. She walked up to him with the brightest smile on her face and did a small twirl. “How do I look?”

“Beautiful.” He hated the fact that he wasn’t lying.

She smiled before skipping over to Minseok’s side. He watched as he gave her a twirl with the brightest smile on his face that Luhan has ever seen. He felt another crack being added onto his heart and he smiled a bitter smile to himself. I wonder how much it takes before it completely shatters.

He heard his name called and realized the wedding was starting soon. He moved to the backyard, where the wedding was being held, and stood a few feet away from the alter. There were plenty of seats but he didn’t feel like sitting.

The next twenty minutes felt like hours and it all seemed to move in slow motion. He watched as they walked down the aisle together, arms hooked together. Another crack was added. He watched as they exchanged vows and as Minseok slipped a diamond ring onto her manicured finger. Yet another crack. He watched as they kissed. His heart finally shattered.

So that’s what it takes.

When they pulled apart and the guest stood and clapped for them Minseok turned around and sent the brightest smile Luhan’s way. So cruel. He gave Minseok a small smile of his own before turning to leave.

He made sure to look back one more time, Minseok and his new wife were happily accepting congratulations from the guests. He walked out of the door and rushed to his car, he could already feel the tears making their way down his cheeks. He wiped them away before entering his car and speeding towards the apartment.

Once there he packed all of his clothes and small items into bags before walking back out to his car and carelessly throwing them into the back. He didn’t have that much time before Minseok would start to wonder about his whereabouts.

He was cleaning off the bit of things from the top of his dresser before the sound of glass shattering made him look down to the floor. His favorite framed photograph and Minseok and himself was on the floor, the broken glass slightly distorting the picture beneath it. He finished grabbing his things before stepping over the broken from and leaving the room. Things were never going to be the same with his heart aching like this. He didn’t need a photograph that would just remind him of something that he could never have again.

After throwing the last of his things into the back of his car he returned to the apartment for the last time. He found a pen and paper before moving back to the counter. He was going to tell his last lie.

Congratulations on your marriage.

He pulled the key to the apartment off his key ring and placed it on the note before turning to walk out the door. He grabbed the spare key from the potted plant placed next to the door and used it to lock the apartment door behind him. He made sure to put it back before taking one last look at the apartment he and Minseok used to share.

Once back in his car he pulled out his phone and pulled out the batteries before placing it in the passenger seat. He his car engine and just started driving. He wasn’t really sure about his destination but he felt as though anywhere was better then there. His heart and mind was telling him that his choice was for the best. After all he went through they were finally on the same page.