Sapphire Blue

{ p h i l o c a l y }

for wintersoeul. from ZoE. please comment after you have read your one-shot.

Huh This is real love story…

 

As I bounced up and down to keep from freezing while waiting at the bus stop, the wind flipped the hood of my sweatshirt up onto my head. I turned and glared at my best friend, Jasmine. “I hate you.”

She laughed and rolled her eyes at me. “I’m sorry! I really did think my brother could have driven us today! I didn’t know his classes were cancelled!”

I held my hand up to her face. “Look at this! My fingers are frozen. How is it so cold? It’s March for crying out loud!”

She snapped her teeth at my fingers, but I ripped my hand away before she could catch it. “I said I was sorry! What do you want me to do? Here, I’ll throw myself in front of the bus when it comes, ok? Will that make you happy?”

“No, because then I’d be out here by myself. Misery loves company, remember?” I told her, yanking on the strings of my hoodie to close the hood around my face. Jasmine sighed dramatically and linked her arm with mine and we huddled close waiting for that stupid bus.

Suddenly a sleek, black car pulled up along the curb in front of us. I turned to Jasmine and narrowed my eyes at her.

“Great, and now we’re going to get kidnapped,” I muttered sarcastically. She laughed and elbowed me in the side.

The passenger side window rolled down slowly. We bent cautiously to peer at who was in the car.

 

I’m so happy…

 

“Oh! Donghae oppa! Hi!” Jasmine greeted the shaggy haired boy inside the car.

“Hey, girls, you need a ride?” he asked with a smile.

She looked at me and lifted her eyebrows. “Look, it’s Donghae oppa to the rescue!” she cheered. I kept from rolling my eyes. Jasmine is a stubborn girl. When she gets something in her head, she just can’t let it go.

And for the past couple of months, she’s gotten it into her head that Donghae likes me. I tried telling her we were just friends. Just. Friends. But there’s no telling her anything sometimes.

Donghae chuckled and pointed next to him. We leaned over farther to see who he was pointing at. “Actually, it’s him to the rescue.”

“Siwon oppa!” I exclaimed. Siwon. The boy I’d been in love with since…, oh I don’t know, forever? No, that’s not true actually. Forever and a day is closer. The boy who I did a happy dance over when I found out was going to the same university as me. The boy who made my heart pound like a jackhammer in my chest when I just glanced at him. The boy who could turn me into a puddle when he caught my eyes and smiled at me. The boy who was sweeter than anyone I’d ever met. The boy who was too focused on school to notice girls. The boy who had no idea just how in love with him I was. The boy who saw me just as a friend. The boy who saw me as his dongsaeng.

Yeah, that boy.

“Come on,” Siwon called from the driver’s seat. “Hop in.”

“We’d love a ride! Thanks!” Jasmine answered for me.

Donghae hopped out of car and pulled open the backseat door and gestured for us to get in. Jasmine smiled gratefully and slid in first. I copied her smile, but before I got in, I couldn’t help but notice the blush that had spread across Donghae’s cheeks. He touched my shoulder lightly as I got into the car.

Siwon took off towards campus. I avoided looking in the rear view mirror so that I wouldn’t catch Siwon’s eyes. I’d hate for the puddle I turned into to wet his nice leather seats. The entire time I spent trying to casually avoid Siwon’s eyes, I kept feeling Donghae’s eyes on me when he’d turn in his seat to laugh or say something to us.

“Ally?”

I blinked and tried to focus my thoughts. Ah, crap. They were talking to me.

“What’s up?” I asked, looking around the car.

“I asked if you were going to the carnival coming to the university next week,” Donghae repeated.

I smiled at him. “Yeah, Jas and I were planning on going Friday night.”

“We are going Saturday night. Can’t you go then? We have a class on Friday nights,” Siwon said pulling into the main building’s parking lot. Donghae smiled brightly and nodded.

 

I’ll be closer to the one who took your heart…

 

“Jas and I were planning on going Saturday night,” I said looking away from Jasmine’s smirk.

The guys laughed as Siwon parked the car. We all piled out and I was getting ready to follow Siwon wherever he was going like the lost, pathetic puppy I knew I was when Donghae appeared next to me.

“Ally, I’ll walk with you. You’re going to White Hall, right? My class is there, too,” he explained with his trademark grin that was pretty cute.

Oh, thanks, Donghae, but actually my first class is in the Samson building,” I said, pointing to the other side of campus behind me.

“That’s where I’m going,” Siwon said, adjusting his messenger bag strap across his chest. I had to refrain from falling to my knees and thanking the gods of romance.

“Ok!” I chirped practically skipping over to Siwon.

 

This isn’t right…

 

“Come on, Donghae,” Jasmine said, glaring at me out of the corner of her eye. “I have class in White. Let’s go together quickly. My professor likes to lock the door so if you’re a second late, you can’t come.” She linked her arm with his and waved back at us over her shoulder. Donghae cast one more smile at me and let himself get dragged along next to Jasmine.

I turned and smiled up at Siwon. He grinned and ruffled my hair. I felt my shoulders sag forward, but I kept my smile plastered on my face as I hurried to keep up with his long legged stride.

 

One-sided love, yeah…

 

I stretched out on the couch in Jasmine’s apartment, feeling a little off. Tonight was the carnival. We had some time before we were meeting the others. I was excited to go and I knew it would be fun, but I couldn’t help feel a little low. I’d been trying all week to get Siwon to ask me out, aside from this group thing we all had going to the carnival.

But I just failed miserably. He’d keep pinching my cheeks or ruffling my hair like always. I couldn’t say anything to him or come out and simply ask him. I didn’t want to make our friendship awkward if he wanted to say no.

 

It hurts so much, doesn’t it…

 

Donghae was always there though. He’d go to lunch with me or walk me to class when we did actually have a class in the same building. He was sweet, but I was so smitten with Siwon, I could barely see Donghae standing next to me.

He knew how much I liked Siwon, but he promised not to say anything to anyone. I was so embarrassed that I was still acting like a 12 year old around guys. Donghae would listen to me whine and complain like the good friend that he was.

 

I was happy even just with looking…

 

One day, I was in a rush to get to class. Running across campus. I had a professor that liked to lock out the late students, too.

“Ally!”

I stopped running and looked around. “Donghae,” I smiled. “Hey.” I was about to take off running again when he touched my wrist.

“Hey, I kind of wanted to talk to you, for just a second,” he said. He awkwardly crossed and uncrossed his arms over his chest.

“Yeah, but Donghae, could we talk another time though? I’m about to be late for my class.”

His eyes widened. “Oh, yeah. Sorry. I’m sorry, yeah, go.”

“No, it’s ok, really!. We can just talk later. Bye!”

And I bolted, hoping I could make it across to the other side of campus in two minutes before that evil professor locked the door.

 

…I wanted to confess

 

“I’m so excited for this carnival. I’ve been so stressed this whole week. I had three exams this week! It’s not even finals week and I had three exams!” Jasmine whined, her eyes wide, as she sat in the lounge chair next to the sofa.

I giggled. “The university always puts on a good carnival.”

“It’s so cute. It’s like the old fashioned ones in the movies. With the games and the traditional rides. They even have a tunnel of love.” She sighed heavily and threw her head back dramatically.

“You crack me up. So who do you want to go through the tunnel of love with?”

“Yesung,” she answered in the same love struck sighing voice as before.

“He’s a cutie. I bet he’d go with you if you asked.”

“And you? Who do you want to go through the tunnel of love with, Ally?” she asked, curiously.

 

Do you have a wish, yeah…

 

I shook my head, still laughing at her. “Nah, I’m not a tunnel of love kind of girl. I like the Ferris wheel. When it stops at the top, it’s so cool to be able to see over the city like that.”

“I bet Donghae would like to go on the Ferris wheel with you,” she mumbled under her breath.

“Jas!” I whined. “Donghae and I are just friends. Honest, there’s nothing there between us. I feel that way. He feels that way. He’s a really good friend.”

Becoming suddenly fascinated with her nails, she began picking at the polish on her thumbnail. “Oh, ok. Yeah, that must be it.”

“It is! Besides, I really like Siwon. I want to go on the Ferris wheel with him,” I grumbled.

Jasmine shrugged. “He’s very focused. I’m surprised he’s even going to the carnival. Usually he spends his weekends in the library.”

True. Sadly for me, very true.

“Come on,” I sighed, defeated. “Let’s go. The guys will be waiting.”

 

The feeling that I just fell off…

 

The second we exited the subway station, we were greeted with the sights and sounds of the carnival. The music and the laughter. The kids running around and excitedly jumping around.

The couples.

The thought that I would throw up passed quickly through my mind before disappearing completely. We headed over to the entrance where the guys and the other girls we were meeting would be waiting. The hopeless romantic part of my brain sent sparks through my whole body and my face lit up when my eyes landed on Siwon.

Donghae bounced over and appeared in front of me.

“Ally! Jasmine! You girls made it! Let’s go!” he said.

I smiled, swallowing the sigh making its way up my throat.

 

I just wanted to be loved…

 

The whole group of us got our tickets and headed in. We stayed as a group until we got to the rides when everyone broke off into smaller groups and scattered.

I was just about to follow Siwon when I noticed two other girls were trailing along side of him. He smiled and looked friendly, at ease with his friends, and I knew he wouldn’t mind if I tagged along, but it just wasn’t the same with those other girls there.

Sighing, I hurried to catch up to Jasmine. Until I saw the tiny group she was in included Yesung. And they were heading for the tunnel of love ride. She caught me walking towards her and stopped. With a smile, she gestured for me to hurry up.

I shook my head and pointed in the other direction. She glanced back at Yesung and the others who were still walking before she jogged over to me.

“No, no,” I told her, pushing her back in the direction she came from. “Go with them. Hurry before some other girl takes a seat next to Yesung on the tunnel of love.”

She shrugged. “If you don’t want to go around with anyone else, I’ll hang out with you. I can find Yesung later. This is supposed to be fun!”

“I’ll go catch up with the others I saw heading toward the Ferris wheel. Now, hurry! Grab Yesung before someone else does,” I laughed, still trying shove her away.

She returned my smile and nodded.

 

The road to destiny…

 

After she left, I made my way over to the Ferris wheel. I saw some of my friends already standing in line. Before I could reach them, I counted there were six of them. Three boys and three girls. I would be the seventh one. They weren’t couples, so it would be alright if we sat three in one car on the ride, but still.

I was not exactly in the mood for that.

Sighing, I stood there for a second and watched the Ferris wheel make its slow turn around. Boo, I pouted to myself. I just wanted a ride on the Ferris wheel with the man of my dreams. Is that so much to ask?

Guess so.

 

Meeting by chance
Was not an accident…

 

I turned to go drown my sorrows in the dart throwing game when I almost slammed into someone.

“Oh! Donghae!” I gasped, my hand flying to my chest. Laughing, I added, “You kind of scared the crap out of me.”

He chuckled, hands shoved into his hoodie pocket. “Sorry.”

“Why aren’t you on any rides?” I wondered.

“Why aren’t you?” he countered. I just shrugged. “Do you like the Ferris wheel?” he asked, eyes lighting up as he looked up behind me.

Just hearing the words ‘Ferris wheel,’ I could feel the smile appear on my face.

“I love the Ferris wheel!” I admitted, suddenly feeling shy at my childishness.

“Let’s ride it together then?”

I looked back. The line had gone down a lot and another round would be starting soon. Turning back to Donghae, I nodded.

 

You got to have me…

…With a tender feeling…

 

He grabbed me by the hand and pulled me over to the ticket taker. The second we sat in our car, Donghae began rocking it back and forth.

“I haven’t been on this thing since I was a kid,” he told me.

I laughed at how excited he was. “I like when it stops at the top.”

“Me, too. Me, too.”

“Please stop rocking, you’re making me nervous,” I pleaded. He chuckled and sat still, his hands in his lap.

“Sorry.”

The ride started and we began making the slow trip up to the top. “I’m glad you came tonight,” he said after a moment of being quiet.

I smiled at him. “Me, too. It’s nice to do something that doesn’t involve classes and studying and all that.”

He looked away from me bashfully. “Are you happy, Ally?” he wondered, staring out at the carnival scene below.

 

In the sky…

 

“Happy?” I repeated. I stared at my hands on the bar locking us into the car. “Sure,” I shrugged. “I’m happy.”

“Do…” He paused to laugh lightly to himself. “Do you ever wish for anything?”

“Of course,” I replied after thinking about it for a second. “I wish I were taller.”

He laughed and looked at me. His smile was contagious.

“No, really,” he pressed. “Tell me.”

“I wish school came easier to me. I wish my family always has good luck and is healthy. I wish for a good life to come…” I felt my cheeks begin to grow warm. “I wish that I’ll fall in love one day.” Just then we reached the top and the Ferris wheel stopped.

 

The two of us above the clouds…

 

“Wow,” he breathed. “It’s beautiful.”

I nodded and leaned forward, my elbows on the bar. The sun was setting, casting an orange reddish glow over all of Seoul.

“Ally,” he began. I turned my head to face him. He wasn’t smiling anymore. “I want to tell you something.” He gripped the bar tightly, nervously.

“Ok.” I tried to smile at him.

“I…” He paused and his eyes shifted to look past me, back at the sunset. “I really like you, Ally. I know we’re just friends, but I can’t help how I feel about you. You are so smart and beautiful and sweet and funny. I think you’re so cute, too. Every time I see you, it’s like being in a dream, I feel my heart begin to race and my palms get sweaty and I forget how to talk, so I always feel awkward around you.”

“Donghae…” He still wouldn’t look at me, but he was smiling, uncomfortably.

“W-wait, just one more thing. I know you like Siwon, but he doesn’t see you the way I do. He can’t feel for you what I do. I thought I could just sit back and watch you like him, but I can’t anymore. I had to tell you, to confess to you. And you know, Ally, if you give me a chance, I know I can make you happy. I can be a really good boyfriend. I will do all the things you want me to do.” He paused and shrugged. “I know how much a one sided love hurts. How much it . But, I feel like I’m falling in love with you, Allyzsa, unconditionally and irrevocably.” He gently placed one of his hands over one of mine on the bar.

 

Our hands locked in promise…

 

“Donghae, I…” I didn’t know what to say to him. His eyes darkened and he placed his palms on my cheeks, forcing our eyes to meet. It was suddenly really hard to breathe. How high up were we? Did the altitude change the air density or something?

I’d never really seen that in his eyes before. That sincerity. His thumbs brushed over the apple of my cheeks.

“Don’t you believe me?” he whispered.

I nodded automatically. “I-I want to be with you, Lee Donghae.”

“Really?” he asked, uncertainly. I giggled and pushed his hands away. I leaned forward and pecked him on the cheek. When I pulled away, his cheeks were flaming red. It made my own face flush red.

 

Oh I love you…

 

He ree hand to my face and brought his own closer until his lips were pressed to mine. His lips were soft and fit with mine like the pieces of a puzzle. I could taste the mint from his mouth as he continued to kiss me into a foggy haze.

 

You got to have me
Everything in the world
Will help
If you so desire for it
Do you have a wish, yeah, tell me
Do you have a wish, yeah
That’s love…