The Collection

The Collection

 

“It all started when my parents died in that car crash. Well, I was always different but it got worse after that. Then I saw the first Purple”

“Moriuchi Tami?”

 “Yes, she died because of a reaction to the drug. It was the first time I did it, so I didn´t know I had to check their medical records. She had a condition and was taking a medication that didn’t mix well with the drugs I gave her. She got worse and worse and finally died. I was so sorry. I AM sorry. Uchi Hiroko and Kusano Hiromi were already here, but I didn´t bring anyone new for a very long time. I learned to look into their medical records, I hack their doctors computers and make sure I wouldn't hurt them with the drugs. Then Uchi tried to escape. Again, it was my mistake. I was careless and she managed to escape, she ran off. I followed her but she reached the highway before I did. She saw me and started running faster. She didn’t see the car coming. The guy just kept going but I took her and buried her. I told Kusano, she had met the other two girls; I had introduced them, so I thought she should know. That was another mistake. She managed to kill herself. She broke her plate and cut her wrists.”

“So that’s why now the plates and cups are plastic.”

“Yes. I was devastated and didn´t want to continue. I stopped and even thought about destroying the rooms.”

“Did you built and paint them?” She asked

“No, my mom did. This was her house before she died he had a huge collection each room with a different theme. And I have no idea why I have to collect the dolls, I just do. So don´t ask me, I can´t answer.”

“Okay, I won´t. When did you start again?”

“About six months after Kusano-san’s death, I was walking down the street and I saw BLUE. I knew she was BLUE. Again, I don’t know how I know, but I do. Before I knew what I was doing, I was following her. I found out who she was. I told myself I wouldn’t do anything about it. But I couldn’t stop thinking about it and this time I knew what to do, I knew what not to do and how to take care of her. So I hacked into her medical records and fixed the blue room so that she couldn´t hurt herself. She was an , so it wasn’t that difficult to get a date with her under a false name. Then I found Purple, and Green and well… you know. “

They were silent for a while.

“What are you going to do?” Asked Yamaa

“What if I told you I was going to call the police?”

“Well, I guess I could stop you, but I don’t think I can bring myself to hurt you. I mean, I love you so I wouldn’t hurt you. On the other hand if you were going to call the police, you would have done it by now, wouldn’t you?”

She looked up and gave him a sad smile. “I guess. I love you too, and I know you don’t want to hurt them, so I don’t want to call the police, but this is wrong.”

“But I found them. They are mine now. I found them.”

“That’s exactly it. You didn’t find them, you stole them and stealing is wrong, right?”

“What?”

“Yes, they aren’t yours; you took them, from their families and friends. There are people who miss them and you took them from them.  You have to return them. I’m not asking you to decide right now. Just think about it. I'll leave you alone…”

“I don’t want you to go.”

“You have to be alone to think. I’ll be waiting. Call me whenever you want but I can’t stay.” She went over to him and sat in the bed next to him and grabbing his hand said: “I’ll stay tonight to make sure you are all better and leave in the morning.” He reached over and kissed her softly on the lips, then he lied down, put his arms around her and hugged her close to him.

 

Akane had already left and he was sitting in his viewing room watching his collection. Akane was right, of course. He had never thought of it like that, but he supposed he did steal them. Still he knew they were supposed to be his. It was clear Akane wouldn’t come back as long as he kept them, if she didn’t call the police. If she did he would end up with nothing, without his collection and without Akane. If he got rid of his collection, would Akane come back? She had seemed honest when they talked and she seemed to understand. There was always the possibility of giving Akane her own room; he had always thought she would look good in red, even if she wasn’t a doll…

He pictured his life without Akane, his life without his collection. He couldn’t even contemplate a life with neither. After thinking and thinking, he knew what he had to do. He took a deep breath and got started.

 


 

Rin was going out of her mind. She hated waiting and there was really nothing else she could do. She had tried everything to escape. She had even tried bringing down the wall but the furniture was just too heavy for her to pick it up and do any real damage. Using her bare hands was out of the question. Wait, just wait. She heard noises outside. Lunch time, apparently.

It was the man. So he was really okay, bummer. She wanted to scream at him but what was the point. He left the food and left. So everything was back the way it had been she though with a sigh. She looked at the food and went back mentally… not her turn, she went and ate.

A few minutes later she started to feel dizzy. The feeling was familiar but it was impossible, he never, ever broke the pattern. The feeling was intensifying. Rin went to the wall she shared with Keiko.

“Keiko! I’m not feeling so well.”

“What is it?”

“I- I think he drugged me.” There were a few seconds of silence.

“But it’s not your turn.”

“I know that. What is going on?”

“ Don’t know. Maybe he is starting over? Maybe he lost track.”

“I don’t like this. Keiko I’m scared. I don’t want him to take me.” Her voice was wavering and she sounded terrified even to her own ears.

“Rin,” Keiko said trying to be reassuring, but there was a hint of fear in her voice. “It’ll be okay. He always brings us back unharmed…. Rin… Rin?”

Rin had passed out on the floor next to her bed.