Chapter Five: "A walk to remember,"

To The Uncertain Me

 

Chapter Five

 

Minho was not expecting Taemin to ever voluntarily talk to him again. Actually, he thought that for some reason the younger just hated him and he’d get over it at some point…but he wasn’t expect it be by the time school ended and he was walking out of class.

There was group of girls down the hallway that, upon seeing him had started screeching in a way he knew too well. By the time the first girl had moved towards him he was running full speed in the opposite direction. Their thundering footsteps brought back memories of grabbing hands and hungry looks; strands of his hair in milkshakes and missing underwear.

Suddenly there was flash of auburn and Minho found himself yanked so hard he didn’t know which direction he’d gone in.  The wind was knocked out of him as he was slammed against a wall and a hand put over his mouth. When his eyes focused he saw that it was Taemin, looking away from at something anxiously. After a moment he let him go.

“Next time, go out the window. There’s only a few of them out there taking pictures of you.” He said with a sigh.

As Minho caught his breath, he eyed him. “Don’t you…hate me or something?”

Taemin raised a brow. “I think you’re annoying, but I don’t hate you…where did you get that idea?”

“Um, the way you act towards me?”

“What do you mean?” he began then smiled, “Oh…I see. Jae Hee is like my sister, so of course I’m going to give you hell for trying to be with her. The only reason Jongin isn’t doing to too is because he’s never around.”

The older wasn’t sure if he should trust it, but he let it go for now. “Well, thanks for getting me out of there.”

“No problem.” Taemin leaned out of the classroom and checked both ways, “Okay, let’s go.”

Minho followed him, through the halls and then out of the school, pausing when they went past the parking lot. “Wait, shouldn’t we-?”

“We’re going to Umma’s!” he declared, walking backwards to point at him. “Since you’ve scurried you’re way in you have to actually do it. No flaking!”

“I wasn’t going to.”

Taemin’s eyes narrowed, lips pursing and making him look almost cute to Minho. “We’re actually pretty good. We’re just waiting for our manager to get us signed somewhere.”

Minho didn’t believe that for a second, “Sure, um…so have you all been to Korea or something? You all have Korean names and…” he trailed off, hoping he would understand.

The younger turned his back to Minho, becoming quiet for a second. “Jongin, Jae Hee, and I were born there. So were Onew and Luna. They came here since Onew’s dad started a meat business and Luna came since her twin wanted to study abroad (Park Sun-Young does have a twin sister named Ji Young) and she didn’t want to separate.”

“Eh? Luna has a twin? Where is she?”

“Well, she went back to Korea. She only wanted to come for year, but Sun-young stayed after meeting Onew. She asked her parents for one more year and that’s why she’s still here.”

Minho absently noted that Onew and Luna had been dating for about two years. The mauling seemed okay now. “And you three?”

“Death in the family. That’s why we came here. You know, our mothers were triplets,” Taemin’s back seemed strange to Minho as he talked, his tone kind of tight. “They all married different last names though, that’s why I’m Lee, Jongin is Kim, and Jae Hee Goo. That’s also why we all sort of look alike.”

This meant something, but he wasn’t sure what. There was something he should realize but it wasn’t clicking just yet… “Oh…I noticed.”

“Did you?” Taemin sneered suddenly. Minho felt laughter bubble up at his abrupt change in attitude. He kind of wanted to punch him.

“Yeah,” he retorted as they walked a bit faster. They had headed down the busy streets and going towards the university not too far from them. It would be much faster with a bus, but Taemin didn’t tell Minho that. He wanted to enjoy the good weather a bit more. “So, are you guys like a real band?”

“Yeah,” he said as if it was the most absurd thing he’d ever heard. “Jonghyun can play the guitar and sing. I can play the piano and Key can’t play anything but he is our designer. If we do get signed I can imagine the war he’s going to have with the people they assign to style us.”

Despite not knowing Key very well, what he said sounded so very…right. “Can you sing? I mean, I know you can dance and stuff but-“

“I can. What’s it to you?”

“Just asking. Never heard it before,”

Taemin spun around, walking backward again as he leveled a narrowed gaze upon him. “Are you trying to get me to sing?”

“Maybe. I mean, you’ve heard me.”

“Is this a show me yours and I’ll show you mine sort of thing?”

The phrase sounded strange to him. “Um…?”

“Well, I already saw yours so-“

Taemin was abruptly bumped into by a guy walking by and nearly fell.  The person looked at Taemin, smirked slightly and nudged his friend. “Sorry, Princess. You should walk forward so people can see your pretty face,”

For a moment time seemed to freeze as Taemin stilled, face still downward with his hair covering his expression. Minho stood still, not knowing what to do. Taemin was probably used to people mistaking him for a girl right? He’d probably handle it the way he always did, right?

Slowly, his face lifted and he looked to the guys. “Don’t you mean ‘prince’?” he smirked, something hard in his voice that made Minho suddenly feel guilty. He could feel bitterness and annoyance, as if this was something he was sick to death of.

His mouth opened to say something, anything to get them moving again but the guys cut in, shoving Taemin to his shock. “ing gross little fairy,”

Taemin didn’t respond, just staring at them with eyes full of…nothing. That unnerved Minho the most. He had expected him of all people to blow up and yell and get angry…something- “What’s your problem?”

Before he knew what he was doing he had shoved the guy who had pushed Taemin and positioned himself in front of the younger boy. He gave them a grave look, daring them to say anything further.

“Oh look he’s got a boyfriend,”

“Are you serious?” Minho asked, starting forward but Taemin grabbed his arm, nails digging in deep.

“Stop,” Taemin said blankly. Minho spun around with disbelief.

“They’re attacking you and-“

“I don’t need you defending me from s like them,”

“What did you call me?” One of the guys said, grabbing Minho’s arm with the intentions of pushing him aside to get to Taemin. However, upon being touched, Minho swung around and punched the guy right in the jaw, knocking him back in shock.  “What the !?”

“Why did you-!?” Taemin began but Minho grabbed his arm and took off, nearly causing him to fall again. It was obvious the Minho was athletic by how many times nearly died trying to keep up with his speed. After two blocks, a turn, and four more blocks he was sure that the two guys weren’t even following them anymore. He attempted to stop Minho via tripping him, very nearly killing him.

Diving at a nearby bench, Taemin collapsed and tried to get oxygen to his lungs before he passed out. Minho bent over, hands on his knees as he panted just slightly enough to piss Taemin off even more. “You okay?”

“A-am…I..-uh,” The younger glared at him venomously while he collected himself.  “Who told you to do anything?”

“What? You looked…” he gestured aimlessly with his hand, “You looked like you really didn’t want to be bothered so I just-“

“Assaulted someone,”

“It was for you! They were being s and you weren’t doing anything.”

He looked down at him, his ideas of receiving thanks gone. He was about to say more when Taemin began tearing into his clothes.

“It’s Monkey!” he said frantically, pulling off his bag and glancing up at Minho before proceeding to fall dead asleep.   

Quickly he dove forward and began to shake him, “No nonono! Don’t do that now, you little punk! I don’t even know where I am!”

----

Jonghyun stared up at Kibum with his hands in a pleading gesture. “Bummie…I swear to God I just trying to help.”

His roommate looked down at him nestled in the couch as he stood over him, lip curling as he pressed his foot slightly downward on the older’s crotch. He winced, trying to burrow himself deeper into the couch as if it would save him. “You bleach my ing shirt Jonghyun.”

“I thought I’d do something nice for you and wash your-“

Key nearly stomped down, but held himself,  “You could help by cleaning up all of the sheet music you leave everywhere, you could help by organizing your laundry instead of throwing it with mine, you could help by buying my clothes…NOT BLEACHING MY 14th FAVORITE SHIRT!!!” He applied pressure and Jonghyun grabbed his ankle quickly.

“I’ll buy another!”

“You can’t!”

He knew to never ask why. Ah, he had fallen prey to Kibum’s long description about how unique, altered, custom-made, and ‘one of a kind’ each of his pieces of clothing were. “Then what do you want me to do!? I’m sorry!”

“You could-!” he paused, lifting his foot slightly to think. Beneath him, Jonghyun cupped his groin, cooing that he’d protect his at all costs this time. A sudden chill rolled down his spine and he looked all the way back up to see Key smiling down at him.

He knew what he was thinking.

“ no.” he said adamantly, “Your birthday is at the end of the month and you’ll wait,”

Key smirked devilishly, “You’re in no…position to argue.”

He sat up, carefully maneuvering his crotch away from his foot. Pleadingly, he gazed up at him, “Bummie…you know I need prep days and-“

They were interrupted by a firm knocking at the door. Quicker than Key, he scrambled off the couch and bolted for the door, desperate to invite in the distraction. He flung open the door and saw no one.

“Down…here,”

Jonghyun looked down and saw Minho, panting and covered in a thin sheet of sweat with Taemin huddled in his lap asleep. Key came through, crouching to get on Minho’s eye level.

“You called two hours ago asking for directions. What the hell happened?”

The former athlete groaned, throwing his head back against the wall with a thud. “I almost got arrested for kidnapping and resisting arrest.”

Key looked up until he was looking at Jonghyun behind him.

They grinned.

Minho glared at their amusement.  Initially, he thought he’d have to call Jae Hee and that was something absolutely did not want to do at the moment. He was still avoiding her. It had taken him half an hour to figure out that Taemin had been telling him the password to get into is phone and therefore, Jonghyun’s number –he didn’t see Key’s name which he later realized was under the name ‘Mom’. He had called and gotten directions, enduring much teasing from Jonghyun and worry from Key to get Taemin’s ‘tempting form out of the public eye’.

Oh, he had gotten within view of their dorm when campus police had tried to stop him. Too many people had seen him walking around with Taemin hanging limply over his shoulder looking more dead than asleep. He had explained that he had narcolepsy, which only made them panic and try to take him into custody to get him to a hospital. It was obvious that they didn’t know what narcolepsy was and both of them coming at him speaking English too fast was enough to rattle Minho enough to run.

That had not been easy with Taemin, but then again they were campus police.

And here he found himself, exhausted and laid out in front of Key and Jonghyun.

“Come on in,” Jonghyun said, taking Taemin from him and turning to go back inside. Key helped him up and helped him to the couch where he collapsed next to Taemin. Jonghyun plopped down in the chair across from them as Key disappeared into the kitchen.

“When did he fall asleep, anyway?”

“After we ran away from some guys who thought he was a girl and found out he wasn’t.” Minho sighed.

“What?” Key asked with a slight edge of anger. He re-entered the living room, tossing Minho a bottle of water. “What did he do? Did he hit them again? Where’s his iPod?”

Confused, Minho tried to sort out what he’d been asked as he brought the bottle to his mouth.

Only to start choking when Key splayed himself comfortably across Jonghyun’s lap.

Are you okay?” Jonghyun smiled, knowing exactly why he’d reacted like that. “Something wrong?

Carefully, Minho collected himself. Some things were starting to make sense now… but he’d think later. “…Taemin’s hit them before?”

The two didn’t seem to expect him to say that, and glanced at each other. “Yeah. Two months ago Taemin got hit on at the beach and the guys were s and he punched one.” Jonghyun stretched, flexing obnoxiously. “I had to step in of course,”

“Stop, Jjong.” Key said dismissively, “So, he didn’t hit this time? What happened then?”

“I punched one of them in the face and ran. He was acting like he wasn’t going to do anything and what they were saying was pissing me off.”

He noticed them glance at each other again and then back at him. Key spoke this time. “What did Taemin say?”

He shrugged, “I don’t know he got upset that I intervened and yelled at me.”

“His iPod must be dead,”

“Yeah, where’s his iPod?”

Key rolled off of Jonghyun and went to his ‘son’s’ bag, going through it until he pulled out a yellow Nano. After fiddling with it sighed. “It’s dead. He must’ve forgot to charge it last night.”

“Guess we’re singing tonight, babe,” Jonghyun smiled. “You know obsessed with Desperate Measures right now.”

Key whined and threw himself back onto Jonghyun. Slowly, they both looked at Minho.

“What?”

“Nothing,”

“Should I be saying something?”

“Should you?”

“…No,”

“So you’re okay with this?”

“Would you give a damn if I wasn’t?”

Key rolled his eyes, “If you’re going to be in our band you might as well know we’re dating.”

Minho shrugged. He’d seen enough of that in Korea. Plus…there was the whole thing with Cha Eun Gyul and Jae Hee that broadened his perspective on men dating each other. “So?”

They looked at each other again and nodded. “Okay, good. Now we can harass you like this too,”

“No, please don’t,”

The door opened and Jinki came in swinging around his keys. He took in Key and Jonghyun wrapped around each other and Minho looking very tired. “Hey guys, what did I miss?”

“He knows, and he punched someone in the face for Minnie,”

Onew pocketed his keys and patted Minho’s shoulder, “The best protection is closing your eyes,”

Minho raised a brow while the couple scowled at him. It took him a moment to realize what he was saying. Laughter bubbled up and absently he reached over and touched Taemin’s hair. “Thanks Hyung,”

He was given a look of amusement for using the term before he blushed slightly. “Uh, so Key which-?”

“Don’t ask me the woman question.”

Minh paused as Jonghyun looked at him apologetically. “What?”

“Don’t ask me ‘who the woman’ is. We’re both men, aright? One of us pretending to be a ‘woman’ would only mean that deep down we believe that what we’re doing is wrong.”

Minho frowned, “I was going to ask why your name isn’t in Taemin’s contacts.”

Onew came into the living room with a box, “He loves saying that to people. It really makes them think about their views on,” he put up air quotes, “’gay’ relationships,”

“We’re not gay either. I just happen to be in love with a man. I don’t like this or that. I like him,” and as if to emphasize he kissed Jonghyun on the cheek. After this he abruptly turned to an almost stoic Minho. “I’m listed as Mom. Don’t you remember?”

Minho lifted his hand from Taemin’s hair, “But there’s only one Mom. I thought it would be his own mother’s,”

The older men’s expressions shifted in a way that made him want to take back his words. Onew cleared his throat. “Of course he doesn’t know guys. We just met…”

“Right,”

Key sighed.

He almost didn’t want to ask, “Wh…what?”

“…I’m going to tell you, but it won’t be the whole tory and you’d better not tell him we told you,” Key began.

---

There. I hope this is good for you. I’m sorry my updating is so sporadic. I wish I could do more but I’m trying to maintain a GPA and sanity over here.